• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Robot Wars Original Generations Gaiden Thread of Unified Wisdom

Official Super Robot Wars Original Generations Gaiden Thread of Unified Wisdom

TOP6_01.jpg

Official Site:
http://www.suparobo.jp/srw_lineup/srw_ogside/index.html

It's that time again. After only roughly 6 months, a new ps2 SRW game is almost upon us, featuring a ton of new guys, some series 1sts, and some old favorites, in what looks to be the last ps2 outing for the series (unless of course they have OG 3 planned for ps2 0_o)

1st pressing comes with a perfect file just like the 1st game (this is a dvd case sized mini artbook)

Box Art:
srwogghi6fz7.jpg

Limited Edition Goodies:
limited01_02.jpg

This thread will be continuously updated with info, scans, and PV's as they arrive.

New Units (some also featured in the OG 2.5 preview at the end of OGS):
-Kouta & Fighter Roa - Compatible Kaiser (now with extra obari-ness)
-Fiona & Raul - Excellence Lightning Frame and Eternal Frame confirmed
-Folka - Upgraded form of Yaldabout: Apothesized Yaldabout
-Fernando - no word on an upgrade yet, but you can expect Apothesized Valefor as well

Villains:
-Swordian - From Scramble Commander
-Shura Gods
-Emi - Piloting the G-Thunder Gate - What is her relationship to Kouta and Shouko? (might be a hero later!)

Confirmed Returning Favorites (who get upgrades / new stuff in some capacity):
-Ibis - Astelion AX
-Sanger - Unlocked attacks for DyGenGuar
-Ryusei - ART-1 - New combo attack with Mai in the R-1
-Yuuki -
-Carla -
-Kai - Geshpenst MK-II Custom (kai)

New Series Features:

-Shuffle Battle: In-Game card game
in02_04.jpg
in02_05.jpg

in02_06.jpg
in02_08.jpg

-Battle Scene Viewer "Free Battle Mode": For the 1st time ever, you will be able to view the battle scenes whenever you want, between whoever you want, in whatever mechs you want, from this handy viewer!

in03_03.jpg
in03_03.jpg

in03_04.jpg
in03_04.jpg

Make your own dream match!

Carry Over Bonus:
-For each clear save from OGS you have (3 in total OG, OG2, and OG 2.5 Preview) you get 50,000 credits to spend on upgrades and stuff
-This means if you cleared the shit out of OGS, you get 150,000 bonus credits to play with in the beginning of the game.

Promotional Videos: and Media

PV 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64IcaPgZ3Qg

PV 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPHwQUBRw3U

Commercial 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo9MDyGtug0&feature=related
Commercial 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt5QvFIPgy8

Latest Scans:
srwhotnewoggc1yp8.jpg
srwhotnewoggc2ky3.jpg

Scans shamelessly stolen and rehosted from http://superrobotwar.wordpress.com/, go there for larger versions.

Original OGS thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165262

Bebpo

Banned
Really looking forward to it, but the fact that it contains an arrange version of OG's 2.5 story and that the only series it covers are SRW R and Compact 3 + OVA, makes me a little less excited. Mainly because it means the first 10 hours will be replaying story that I already played and wasn't even that great (OVA story kinda sucks!). I hope the "arrange" at least adds in new mechs.

My biggest fear I guess is that there won't be very many new units and not that many OG1/2 units will get new upgrades. Coming only 6 months later, it seems like a quick expansion and not a full featured sequel.

Hope they pull it off though. I mean Alpha Gaiden had sooooo many new units coming from Alpha. I'll be disappointed if this doesn't match AG.

FFSabin

pancakesandsex said:
Confirmed Returning Favorites (who get upgrades / new stuff in some capacity):
-Ibis - Astelion AX

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA Favorite really?! :lol Unless her story progress we know whos going to get shot down the most. Gah

Bebpo said:
Really looking forward to it, but the fact that it contains an arrange version of OG's 2.5 story and that the only series it covers are SRW R and Compact 3 + OVA, makes me a little less excited. Mainly because it means the first 10 hours will be replaying story that I already played and wasn't even that great (OVA story kinda sucks!). I hope the "arrange" at least adds in new mechs.

My biggest fear I guess is that there won't be very many new units and not that many OG1/2 units will get new upgrades. Coming only 6 months later, it seems like a quick expansion and not a full featured sequel.

Hope they pull it off though. I mean Alpha Gaiden had sooooo many new units coming from Alpha. I'll be disappointed if this doesn't match AG.

They are DEFINITELY holding back something big.

Bebpo

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
They are DEFINITELY holding back something big.

I hope so.

I mean really, OG2.5 already finished the OVA. So Gaiden can't just be 2/3rds new content and 1/3rd arranged. Would be really short for a SRW.

Shouta

FFSabin said:
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA Favorite really?! :lol Unless her story progress we know whos going to get shot down the most. Gah

She's a really popular character. The Astelion is the prototype unit so I'm hoping they get to the Hyperlion and Vegalion soon.

If they're including the Scramble Commander guy, it'll probably cover some of that story too I bet.

Shouta said:
She's a really popular character. The Astelion is the prototype unit so I'm hoping they get to the Hyperlion and Vegalion soon.

If they're including the Scramble Commander guy, it'll probably cover some of that story too I bet.

I'm thinking they will have those towards the end of this if shes a major plot character, or possibly OG 3.

They havent touched on the sealing war / alpha 2 stuff yet, so if Irui suddenly shows up, then you can expect her plot to kick into high gear. They have to do SOMETHING with her, shes so undeveloped in OG so far. Heh, they might have her get shot down so she needs a hyperlion :p

As far as the scramble commander stuff goes, thats just an original villain. Scramble commander 1 had no original heroes, just the swordian, and im not that familiar with what happens, but its like a colony sized sword that appears in the sky above the earth and shoots lightning at anything that comes close or something.

FFSabin

Shouta said:

I know that, shes the most popular female character in the OGverse and as much as I love her theme song using her in OG2 was pissing me off so much. There must be some kind of hidden numbers and stats for her cause she just keeps getting hit and missing. :lol And what other character can you think of whos stats decrease after getting a new unit? :lol

But once she gets the Hyperion and confidence shes a lock-in for my starters for sure.

Kyoufu said:
I'm definitely buying this, but do I also need to play OG before getting stuck in with this?

You dont HAVE to play OG, but it helps get a feel for the characters, and you get 150k carry over bonus!

I'm still playing OGS - OG 2, I take too long to play SRW games :p But i have the LE on pre-order, and i'll have day 1 impressions. I dont need no steenking carry over bonus!

TreIII

For storyline details? Yeah.

But otherwise, from what I heard, the most that you get from having a save of PS2 OG is just a bunch of bonus money to start off with.

In any case, I look forward to this. It'll have to be my main source of entertainment until my SSBX comes in the mail from play-asia. ^_^

Shouta

I dunno, I used her Ibis in OGs and she was one of my primary characters. Hard to hit, hit pretty well, and the machinegun on the Astelion was cheap to upgrade and effective in usage.

Bebpo

Banned
TreIII said:
But otherwise, from what I heard, the most that you get from having a save of PS2 OG is just a bunch of bonus money to start off with.

It's been a while since I've played OGs, but IIRC that's a lot of money. If you've beaten through 2.5 on OGs, it's should be enough money to make Gaiden a hell of a lot easier since you can max out guys right away.

Bebpo said:
It's been a while since I've played OGs, but IIRC that's a lot of money. If you've beaten through 2.5 on OGs, it's should be enough money to make Gaiden a hell of a lot easier since you can max out guys right away.

Should be enough to half-max someone

kiun said:
Preordered the limited edition a while back..
Can't wait for this game to be released.

I'm going to prominently display the ART-1 on my desk at work :p

I'll have to see if i can borrow my buddies address for the sweepstakes too! I want those figures!

Bebpo

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
Should be enough to half-max someone

How much did they give you for carrying over from OG1/2 -> OG2.5? Because whatever they gave there was a ridiculous amount that made 2.5 a lot easier since you were rolling in dough.

Bebpo said:
How much did they give you for carrying over from OG1/2 -> OG2.5? Because whatever they gave there was a ridiculous amount that made 2.5 a lot easier since you were rolling in dough.

It gave you a %, i think it was 25% of your total cash earned on your 1st clear?

Bebpo

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
It gave you a %, i think it was 25% of your total cash earned on your 1st clear?

lol, now I'll never be able to put a frame of reference on 150k.

How much do you generally earn per map? Isn't it like 10-20k early on and then 40-50k by the last few maps?

Bebpo said:
lol, now I'll never be able to put a frame of reference on 150k.

How much do you generally earn per map? Isn't it like 10-20k early on and then 40-50k by the last few maps?

150k is not a lot, especially if you are talking weapon maxing.

You can earn more than that in a single mission with judicious use of the luck seishin

Shouta

So, I went back and finished OGs 2.5 because I was a bit burnt out and decided to leave it for later. Now I see why they gave you all that money at the start. Had to compensate for the low levels you'd be faced with. Annoying last boss for that. just because I didn't have the skills I wanted.

hteng

Banned
thanks for the thread, i'm so looking forward to the shura gods, here's hoping *spoilers*axel&lamia*spoilers* returns for as a double team

TimeKillr

Atlus. Please.

BRING THIS OVER. NOW.

If they don't... I might as well start my own little company and get it over here. More people need to experience SRW goodness.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm strangely happy I didn't play the 2.5 expansion on OGS. This way, OGG is like an entirely new game!

Bebpo

Banned
The famitsu review of Gaiden sounds like Gaiden has the exact same problems, if you want to call them that, as 2.5 in OGs. Lots of small group switching from map to map so you can't build up PP and get good skills for a looong time, and you can't spend your money on just one group because you need to split between all the groups. Famitsu also mentioned the various groups don't merge for a while which doesn't allow you to have enough units to pick your deployments until then.

I didn't mind all that in OG 2.5 too much. Just made everything harder and less fun since you had less stuff to play with. Hopefully if it takes like 30 maps to join the stories or something the game will be 60+ maps long so you still get a lot of time with full control of a big cast. Though I could see them do a "gaiden" game about small parties for the whole thing until the endgame where they all merge for the final bosses.

Alpha 2 took a while before you had squad control too. Just do all your upgrading at the deploy screen rather than intermission. Problem solved.

Looks like play-asia has stock shortages on the JP version and wants people to switch to the asian one. :-( no difference game / figure wise though.

Bebpo

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
Looks like play-asia has stock shortages on the JP version and wants people to switch to the asian one. :-( no difference game / figure wise though.

Yeah I got that e-mail :\

Not sure if I'll switch or not.

Shouta

There's really no difference between the two unless you're a collect and want the JP versions only.

Bebpo

Banned
Shouta said:
There's really no difference between the two unless you're a collect and want the JP versions only.

Well I would like the packaging to match OGs. Also I have it with the JPN version of SO1, which isn't coming out for a few days so I need to wait anyhow. Don't want to change to the Asia SO1 because most Asia PSP games seem to have their manuals entirely in Chinese, and I actually read manuals sometimes in complex games :\

Stage On

I've only played the english versions of the gameboy games so far even if I've only beaten 1 route on the first game and never finished the second becuse I suck at SRPGS especially time consuming ones like SRW but I still think the series rocks xd.

Have they finally given Katina her own mech in 2.5 or this Gaiden? I almost hate how darn big the cast has gotten since it means some of my more favorite side characters from the first game got more and more ignored as the games went on.

Shouta

Bebpo said:
Well I would like the packaging to match OGs. Also I have it with the JPN version of SO1, which isn't coming out for a few days so I need to wait anyhow. Don't want to change to the Asia SO1 because most Asia PSP games seem to have their manuals entirely in Chinese, and I actually read manuals sometimes in complex games :\

PS2 Asian version packaging should be the same as far as I know. The only time it was different was reversible covers as I recall. Oh well.

Stage On said:
I've only played the english versions of the gameboy games so far even if I've only beaten 1 route on the first game and never finished the second becuse I suck at SRPGS especially time consuming ones like SRW but I still think the series rocks xd.

Have they finally given Katina her own mech in 2.5 or this Gaiden? I almost hate how darn big the cast has gotten since it means some of my more favorite side characters from the first game got more and more ignored as the games went on.

As far as i know she'll still be using her red geshpenst. I usually wind up putting her in a valcion though

Souther

Banned
I love these games...but i honestly don't really follow much of any of the anime these characters come from.

Doesn't stop me from getting fired up when i play these games though. Definitely 1 of the coolest series ever.

Atlus really needs to get these games out over here. Even if they go back to @2, MX or @3, people need to experience these games. There is a nightmare amount of translation to be done though...so even if it was announced it could take ALOT of time to see the light in NA.

Either way make it happen Atlus!

btw....What is the name of the mech with the long red hair
in the "latest scans" part of the OP's post? Looks awesome.
And if i remember correctly he has some INSANE attacks.

Souther said:
I love these games...but i honestly don't really follow much of any of the anime these characters come from.

Doesn't stop me from getting fired up when i play these games though. Definitely 1 of the coolest series ever.

Atlus really needs to get these games out over here. Even if they go back to @2, MX or @3, people need to experience these games. There is a nightmare amount of translation to be done though...so even if it was announced it could take ALOT of time to see the light in NA.

Either way make it happen Atlus!

btw....What is the name of the mech with the long red hair
in the "latest scans" part of the OP's post? Looks awesome.
And if i remember correctly he has some INSANE attacks.

That would be Yaldabout and Apothesized Yaldabout
His counterpart Vaelfor and Apothesized Vaelfor will also be making appearances.

Bebpo

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
That would be Yaldabout and Apothesized Yaldabout
His counterpart Vaelfor and Apothesized Vaelfor will also be making appearances.

Why aren't you in irc damnit!

Barakov

hteng said:
OMG the game's out!! some guys already got it, here's proof

Spoilers be warned

Kai's new Gespenst attack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CtbtQoHs9Q

hugo from MX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSbNqobCtuk

more spoilers
Touma had a cameo appearance (he was delivering food)
MX cast is in, not sure how much role they'll play in this game
Axel, Lamia AND Alfimi are all fucking alive!!!

Sounds EPIC.

EDIT: And speaking of epic:

NEO FUCKING GRANZON.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTfHAL95s04&feature=related
Don't know if this was done with a cheat device or not but still awesome none the less.

Top Bottom