• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters to be ported to PS2?

quetz67

Banned
immy said:
Why does sony put all their best psp games on the ps2?
short answer: why not?

long answer: They dont need to care about PSP hardware sales anymore. They are great and they make money off of them. No reason to make PSP games exclusive just so that people buy a PSP. People will buy games for PS2 to play at home and for PSP to play on the go (maybe a few buy even both).

immy said:
Why does sony put all their best psp games on the ps2?
Because everyone pirates PSP games, but you can't pirate PS2 games so easily, so you're bound to get some sales out of the, oh, I don't know, 110-million people who own PS2s?

Danielsan

On the one hand it's sad to see that psp games need to get PS2 ports due to poor sales. On the other hand it's awsome to see the psp keeping the PS2 alive and kicking with fantastic titles.

YYZ

It's not a direct indication, but this could mean Chains of Olympus will reach the PS2 sometime in 2009 maybe. I have a feeling that Sony did this because the Ratchet sales on PSP have slowed down enough to the point where moving it to PS2 will net some more easy money.

StarEye said:
They'd have to rename it though, as it wouldn't be so portable anymore.
Metal Gear Solid: Ported Ops?

YYZ said:
It's not a direct indication, but this could mean Chains of Olympus will reach the PS2 sometime in 2009 maybe. I have a feeling that Sony did this because the Ratchet sales on PSP have slowed down enough to the point where moving it to PS2 will net some more easy money.
Watch today's 1UP Show - they all but confirmed it to happen.

JeremyR

I think what really hurts, is not so much the porting, but how the prices on the ports is usually dirt cheap ($20-30). Maybe not so much now that PSP software is also $30-40 at most, but I think that's what hurt the GTAs - why pay $50 when you could wait 6 months and get it for $20?

Still, people shouldn't have to play it on a handheld if they don't want to. People should buy PSP games because they want to play games on the PSP, not because they are exclusive. (Pipe dream, I know, but still). I would like to see it go both ways, though. Sony should encourage developers (like perhaps dropping royalty rates?) to put PS2 games on the PSP (new releases, that is, not older ports).

quetz67

Banned
Defuser said:
You know this is one of the reasons why people don't buy PSP software because they can wait for ps2 ports.
does anybody understand the difference between 'portable' and 'stationary'?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
quetz67 said:
does anybody understand the difference between 'portable' and 'stationary'?

Because the PSP really isn't much of a pick-up and play system. Yeah, there are some great puzzle games that are an exception to that, but for the most part between load times, low battery life, and the style of games, I enjoy my PSP much more at home.

Especially when you look at the type of games that are ported; GTA: LCS, GTA: VCS, Syphon Filter, Silent Hill (upcoming), Ratchet and Clank (upcoming). Twisted Metal is a bit of an exception, since that's actually a game pretty well suited to the portable format. Lumines is obviously an exception. I'm not sure which other ones I'm forgetting.

dalin80

Banned
with the ps2 still being a money printing machine why wouldnt dev's and sony continue to give some support especially while the ps3's early life sucked so much money out.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
For whatever reason I thought this was the Ps3 game and I was like, "Holy shit that is fucking nuts" but then why the hell would would they name it "Size Matters?"

quetz67 said:
short answer: why not?

long answer: They dont need to care about PSP hardware sales anymore. They are great and they make money off of them. No reason to make PSP games exclusive just so that people buy a PSP. People will buy games for PS2 to play at home and for PSP to play on the go (maybe a few buy even both).
Lol, that's a great way to completely ignore the lackluster PSP software sales :lol

(Your answer is correct, but it just isn't complete :p)

quetz67

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Because the PSP really isn't much of a pick-up and play system. Yeah, there are some great puzzle games that are an exception to that, but for the most part between load times, low battery life, and the style of games, I enjoy my PSP much more at home.

Especially when you look at the type of games that are ported; GTA: LCS, GTA: VCS, Syphon Filter, Silent Hill (upcoming), Ratchet and Clank (upcoming). Twisted Metal is a bit of an exception, since that's actually a game pretty well suited to the portable format. Lumines is obviously an exception. I'm not sure which other ones I'm forgetting.
ever heard of 'sleep mode'?

just turn off your PSP when you are done playing, switch it on again and continue exactly where you stopped playing, this way you get in and out of the most complex games without wasting even seconds for loading.

Cheebs

AlternativeUlster said:
For whatever reason I thought this was the Ps3 game and I was like, "Holy shit that is fucking nuts" but then why the hell would would they name it "Size Matters?"
Same here!

I thought that because the PS3 game was a complete bomb they were downgrading it for PS2. But then the $30 pricetag confused me. :lol

jakncoke

Banned
defiantly mine, I'm glad there porting so I have a chance at playing it. don't care about handhelds for anyone that is wondering or going to say just go out and buy a psp.

Emotions

This is good if true, i was planning on getting a PSP with few games next year, so one game less to buy and sales +1 on PS2.

Chris_C

It really should be on the PSN as well in luverly 1080p HD, would be great if both Syphon Filter's and Daxter were also on the PSN.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
quetz67 said:
ever heard of 'sleep mode'?

just turn off your PSP when you are done playing, switch it on again and continue exactly where you stopped playing, this way you get in and out of the most complex games without wasting even seconds for loading.

Not being an idiot, yes I've heard of sleep mode. I also run all my games off a stick to lower load times further. I also have an extended battery to keep things going longer. In the end, though, it still remains a decidedly less portable system than previous portables or its current competitor.

I generally only use my PSP portably when I'm on a point A-point B trip and know exactly how long the trip will be. It gets great use provided I know how long the trip will be, pick the appropriate game to play, and make sure my battery is charged. On the other hand, I bring my DS with me pretty much anywhere because I only need to remember to charge it once a week or so and the games are more conducive to random bursts of play technically.

Although the technical issues are a barrier to playing the games on the go, the gameplay is a bigger issue. That's not a knock against the PSP's gameplay at all, I have a lot of fun with it... just that a whole lot of the games are not so hot for short bursts of play.

In the end, when I consider the PSP's library, most of the games that I like I'd like better on the PS2. The exceptions are two-fold; first, I absolutely love the PSP puzzle collection. EXIT, Lumines 1 & 2, EEE, the superior version of Gunpey, the superior version of Puzzle Quest (between the two portables), Crush, and a few others as well.

Of those, the only one I'd want ported is EXIT, and that only because I'd like it ported to the DS because the interface is point-and-click and obviously the DS is better suited for that. I'd probably buy a console version of Crush, but I wouldn't necessarily cheer for the port.

The second exception is the absolutely awesome revisits of old-school games. Mega Man Powered Up, Maverick Hunter X, Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, Ghosts and Goblins, Genesis Collection, Salamander Collection, Power Stone Collection... all mint. Wouldn't have them any other way, and would prefer all of them on the PSP to the DS.

I'd also except a few individual games, including Loco Roco.

Pretty much all the other great games that I love for the PSP, I'd probably love more on the PS2. I'd much prefer to play both GTA CS games on the PS2, I'd love MGS:pO to be re-released as MGS:...O on the PS2, when I get a PS3 I'll definitely get the Tekken port, I'd love to play Jeanne D'Arc on the PS2, I prefer VP to VP:L, etc. Not at all a knock against the PSP, because I love mine and I'd recommend one to anyone... but by and large, I feel like a lot of its great games are good in spite of the fact that they're on the PSP, rather than because they're on the PSP.

pilonv1 said:
Cause they can't port them to Wii.
Hahaha, true, true.

I think its a nice way to make a few extra bucks from the games, Sony wins, PS2 gamers win, heck, everybody wins. Silent Hill 0, R&C:SM, GOW:COO, gimme all of them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Segata Sanshiro said:
Meh. It's a good thing more people get to play it, but what this speaks to in a business sense is somewhat depressing for the PSP fan.

I'll agree to that. Even though I have not bought Size Matters and I am more likely to buy it on PS2 (and thus I'm part of the problem), I still do feel bad that the PSP as a platform is being kneecapped by these ports.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Capcom would port Ultimage G'nG, and the Megamans to PS2

Defuser

Stumpokapow said:
I'll agree to that. Even though I have not bought Size Matters and I am more likely to buy it on PS2 (and thus I'm part of the problem), I still do feel bad that the PSP as a platform is being kneecapped by these ports.
I blame Rockstar for starting this crap.

olubode said:
I wish Capcom would port Ultimage G'nG, and the Megamans to PS2
Just fucking buy a psp.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
i remember there was so much hate from PSP fans on Rockstar after GTA LS thing , now Sony seems to be fine with , it is third game from them to go off the PSP after Dark Mirror and Wipeout , to be honest other devs should do it specially Konami .

but why not PS3/PSN ? HD series of some great PSP games will be very cool Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow on HD is something to die for , Daxter HD , Silent Hill 0 HD , Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles HD and Metal Gear Solid not portable HD on PSN .

and since there is no way GOW3 coming before 2009 then God of War: Chains of Olympus HD ( 1080p yay ) on PSN for $30 , i think even RAD will not be angry about it .

Spike

Next Up: God of War: Chains of Olympus

You just know it's coming, the way the RAD devs looked at each other when 1UP asked them about a possible PS2 release. And they gave the perfect reason for why it makes sense. Then the people who want to play it but don't want/can't afford a psp get to play it too.

Top Bottom