• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters to be ported to PS2?

Defuser

Totobeni said:
but why not PS3/PSN ? HD series of some great PSP games will be very cool Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow on HD is something to die for , Daxter HD , Silent Hill 0 HD , Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles HD and Metal Gear Solid not portable HD on PSN .

and since there is no way GOW3 coming before 2009 then God of War: Chains of Olympus HD ( 1080p yay ) on PSN for $30 , i think even RAD will not be angry about it .
I'm sure Sony enjoys killing off the PSP even faster. Geez,you guys have no shame.

See, to me, it's one thing if it's a game that bombed, isn't going to be selling anymore copies, etc, to get another chance on a different system. Like, at this point, I would love to see Crush show up somewhere else because SEGA won't be printing any more copies and the stores won't be ordering any more copies.

But things like GTA, Ratchet & Clank, Syphon Filter... these games should be the backbone of PSP software's catalogue sales. Rockstar's gotta eat too, so they need to do what they need to do, but Sony? Man, if Sony can't be arsed to take the hit for the good of the system, that's just incredibly frustrating to me. R&C PSP should have kept selling into perpetuity, now it's just going to vanish into obscurity.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Defuser said:
I'm sure Sony enjoys killing off the PSP even faster. Geez,you guys have no shame.

shame ? i own a PSP but Syphon filter and Ratchet are both Sony's games , not 3rd party like GTA LS/VCS so it's not us you know , in this situation Sony is the one with no shame because they just powned all old poor PSP owners ( and all the so many new ones ) for the third time .

Sony now are fine with this crap and by ported Dark Mirror , Ratcher SM to PS2 and WO:HD ( pulse/pure remake ) to PSN sony infact sending messages to all other 2nd/3rd party devs with big " We're OK with this porting thingy " banner.

Jim

A game that's been in the retail channel for over a year, has stopped selling, and gets a quick and dirty, more expensive, stripped down (no online multiplayer), non-portable port around the same time the sequel is going to come out, and it's bad? Seems like common sense. They are so staggered, it doesn't even matter. PLus, so far the ports (with the exception of GTA) have NOT sold well.

Even if it sold incredibly well they'd be stupid NOT to just port it, especially since the PS2 output is slowing down dramatically. I would imagine it will most likely be re-released as a budget downloadable PSP version via the PC PS Store as well.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jim said:
Even if it sold incredibly well they'd be stupid NOT to just port it
Yeah, I don't know why people think things would be substantially different if the games sold better.

It's always interesting to watch people tear apart the fundamental merit of portable gaming in these threads about PSP to PS2 ports. The notion that this is bad for the PSP directly implies that no one's really interested in portable gaming for the sake of portable gaming, that the only reason people get involved in it is for the exclusive games that can't be played on STB platforms. That's bunk, IMO.

Agent X

Totobeni said:
shame ? i own a PSP but Syphon filter and Ratchet are both Sony's games , not 3rd party like GTA LS/VCS so it's not us you know , in this situation Sony is the one with no shame because they just powned all old poor PSP owners ( and all the so many new ones ) for the third time .

Sony now are fine with this crap and by ported Dark Mirror , Ratcher SM to PS2 and WO:HD ( pulse/pure remake ) to PSN sony infact sending messages to all other 2nd/3rd party devs with big " We're OK with this porting thingy " banner.

What's wrong with this? If it's a good game, then it deserves to be ported to other platforms. If you enjoy playing it on a handheld, then play it on the PSP, otherwise you'll be able to play it on PS2 or PS3.

I also don't see why this should be considered bad for PSP owners. It's not as though the game would cease to exist on the PSP when they port it to the other systems.

I believe I wrote a blog about this kind of thing a long time ago on GameSpot.
I don't really understand it. Why should someone buy a PSP if its best games keep getting ported to other platforms?

Agent X

LordAndrew said:
I don't really understand it. Why should someone buy a PSP if its best games keep getting ported to other platforms?

Maybe because they enjoy playing these games on a portable device? Or maybe they don't feel like waiting 6-12 months for the ports to appear on another platform?

Chris_C

Jim said:
A game that's been in the retail channel for over a year, has stopped selling, and gets a quick and dirty, more expensive, stripped down (no online multiplayer), non-portable port around the same time the sequel is going to come out, and it's bad? Seems like common sense. They are so staggered, it doesn't even matter. PLus, so far the ports (with the exception of GTA) have NOT sold well.

Even if it sold incredibly well they'd be stupid NOT to just port it, especially since the PS2 output is slowing down dramatically. I would imagine it will most likely be re-released as a budget downloadable PSP version via the PC PS Store as well.

As i said, I just wish they'd put them in high res on the PSN. I've bought and played through Daxter, R&C and both Syphon Filter games, but I'd buy them all over again for 10bucks if I had the chance of playing Syphon Filter TDM online on the PSN.

Of course it's common knowledge Bend are using the Killzone 2 Engine to make a Gears-esque mp only Syphon Filter game.

In my dreams.

AniHawk

Jim said:
A game that's been in the retail channel for over a year, has stopped selling, and gets a quick and dirty, more expensive, stripped down (no online multiplayer),

Size Matters on the PSP is still $40. Vice City Stories was more expensive on the PSP while the PS2 one was out for months, too.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
immy said:
Why does sony put all their best psp games on the ps2?

its sold all it will sell on the PSP. they're releasing it like 8 months after its been released on the PSP, anyhow.

JeremyR

LordAndrew said:

Because they want to play games on a portable? That's why I bought mine. The flexibility the PSP offers is wonderful. No longer do I have to sit in front of a TV for hours on end. Even if I don't take it on the go (which I admit, I didn't with the PSP fat, but do with the PSP Slim), it was nice being able to play outside at night during warm weather, play games while watching TV or movies. Granted, it's hard to do the latter and play a hardcore action game, but something more slower paced, like an RPG, strategy game or puzzle game it works great.

I guess a lot of people don't think the PSP is a portable device, but simply a handheld console. And so minus the portability, the only thing it has going for it are exclusives (since features like custom soundtracks are rarely supported by devs).

But IMHO, that's the wrong way to sell a device. Sure, maybe it gets people to buy them, but they'll end up badmouthing the device because they won't be enjoying the games on it as much as they ordinarily would have (since they apparently don't like playing games on portables).

xfactor

Banned
quetz67 said:
ever heard of 'sleep mode'?

just turn off your PSP when you are done playing, switch it on again and continue exactly where you stopped playing, this way you get in and out of the most complex games without wasting even seconds for loading.

Most of the PSP games are too complex for 'sleep mode'. What I am meaning is that you often have to recall "where the hell did I left off for the mission...did I did this or that yet?" when you replay the game kind of thing, while the DS game...you can easily continue the game with ease. The situation will be amplified when you want to try having a few rounds of gaming outside without a short period of time.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I still haven't picked up Size Matters so now I'm torn. If it's worse on the PS2 like the GTA games were (according to reviews since I never played the PS2 versions) then I'll get SM on the PSP. Hopefully it'll get a price cut on the PSP though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Agent X said:
I predict the PSP game will go Greatest Hits around the time the PS2 version is scheduled to come out.
I'm pretty sure it took a while for GTA:LCS to do that which is why I posted what I did. Also, GTA:VCS PSP still isn't a GH game even though the price dropped.

Agent X

Fuzzy said:
I'm pretty sure it took a while for GTA:LCS to do that which is why I posted what I did. Also, GTA:VCS PSP still isn't a GH game even though the price dropped.

I saw GTA:VCS in Greatest Hits packaging for the first time a few days ago.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=91163

Ratchet & Clank: SM coming in March
News by Ellie Gibson

Today 10:09

Sony has confirmed to Eurogamer that a PS2 version of PSP title Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters is coming to Europe this spring.

Rumours of the port have been knocking around for a while now, but the first official word came only recently in the form of a PlayStation Underground email. As reported by Shacknews, the email stated Size Matters PS2 will be released in North America this March.

Eurogamer contacted Sony Europe to find out what the deal will be over here and he told us, "Yes, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters will be released on the PS2 in the UK."

There's not too long to wait, either. "We are currently tracking a late March release," the spokesperson said.

zoukka

Size really did matter (probably beaten)

PSP is software-wise dead. After GoW and CC is there any hope in sight ?

Top Bottom