• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megami Tensei Online

Plot
Wikipedia said:
The game is set in Japan and is essentially between Shin Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei 2. In the game, Tokyo was destroyed in 202X and the surviors began construction of a massive tower, Shinjuku Babel. In this postapocalyptic world, demonic forces run rampant and it is the player's job to defeat them.

Getting Started
Anonymous said:
Megami Tensei Online

You register here:
https://secure.cave-online.jp/Preregist/instruction
You download here:
http://www.megatenonline.net/support/download.html
There's a wiki for the game, just use babelfish or google's language tools to translate it:
http://imagine.gkwiki.com/
There's also a site with a short guide on the basics of the game, in english, but it's somewhat unstable so it goes down every now and then, still, it's quite usefull, so I suggest you bookmark it:
http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/shin_megami_tensei_online_imagine/guide_part1.php

There are no subscription fees as the developers make money from selling items.

Registration
https://secure.cave-online.jp/Preregist/instruction
NOTE: the red button means to accept

Screens
1) Terms and conditions
2) E-mail address form
3) E-mail address verification
4) E-mail address activation (check your inbox)
5) User information form

5a) IMAGINE ID (username)
5b) Password
5c) Password verification
5d) E-mail address
5e) Security question
5f) Security answer
5g) E-mail notifications (Receive; Don't Receive)

6) User information verification
7) Registration is complete!

7a) Download link for game
7b) Return to the index page

Stats
力 = Strength
魔力 = Magic
体力 = Stamina
知力 = Intelligence
速さ = Speed
運 = Luck
Thanks, Kyouji

Game Mechanics
Anonymous said:
Well, you can now do timed runs of dungeons, there's now a Suginami Gold dungeon, a pokedex-type thing that, if filled will give you an extra slot to store demons in, several new acts, some new items, the invasion quests have been changed, new demons have been added and soon we'll get a mount system, which means you'll be able to ride around on shit like cerberuses and houous.
Anonymous said:
GRINDAN, with the MEGATEN demon fusing system. (You know, like any other monster fusion system, but with megaten designs.)

Kinda nice, since the battles are more than just clickan gaems, and you actually have to pay attention at what you're doing if you don't want to die. In fact, you can beat almost any monster no matter your level if you know how to play. (Only limitations are when their attack is so high defending doesn't work, or when you're being attacked by more than one monsters at the same time)
Anonymous said:
An MMO.
There are no classes, instead you pick skills to learn, those unlock new abilities for you to use.
The battle system is interesting, since instead of skillspamming you have to take weaknesses into account and there's and you have to actively counter/block/distract your opponets or time your blows well, otherwise you're not going to get anywhere.
You also get to have a demon( there are a hundred of them right now, but new ones are being added) which levels up, learns new skills etc. You can "fuse" your demons to get a better one, it might inherit some of the abilities from your old demons, which gives a bit more depth to the system. There are also alignments - Law, Chaos and Neutral, depending on your actions in quests and the demons you use, you'll shift your alignment slowly, which means demons of the same alignment will get extra stats while demons of the opposite one will get lower stats, but you can improve that by using said demon more, so it grows more accustomed to you, so basically you can use any demon you want regardless of your alignment.
That and the monsters that aren't phased by attacks, so the best you can do is either actively counter or run around while your demon attacks them...those are a bitch to fight.

Screenshots
Some of these screenshots were courtesy of Anonymous

Installation
8afp110.jpg

No, this is not a pirated Imagine game from Ubisoft

6krjt03.jpg

HOLY MOLY, THERE'S MUSIC IN THE INSTALLER

6yas9sn.jpg

THE BACKGROUND CHANGES! OH MY GAWD!

6s834ic.jpg

Ahhh... Now to begin my adventures in...

6ppjyp2.jpg

What the? MORE DOWNLOADING?!

In the bottom right corner, there are three buttons. The upper left one checks for updates, the lower left one sets the screen resolution (no widescreen available). The right one starts the game.

868qp9e.jpg

This building...its size is of biblical proportions!

If you are seeing strange characters in place of Japanese characters and wish to correct this, then download Microsoft AppLocale.

In-game
6yveo02.jpg

71gzjtu.jpg

7yek6eo.jpg

Well, my first home was flooded and my second home self-destructed, so third time's the charm?

71lxoqp.jpg

Jack Frosts are peddling their wares and this Jack o' Lantern is...

85ashnb.jpg

I'm playing hide and seek with the Pixies and three eyed floaters

Conservation
8be5v9s.jpg

This...this is a guramu! That is also some kanji!

6o1pk60.jpg

This is something alright, debirubasutaakanji.

8eveu55.jpg

For today, I ask you some question? Please choose your answer from the multiple choices.

Links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megami_Tensei_Online:_IMAGINE
http://zip.4chan.org/v/res/9117185.html (Depreciated)
http://thevidya.org/pc/res/140.html
http://imagine.gkwiki.com/
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://imagine.gkwiki.com/&langpair=ja|en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 (English Translation of the above link)
http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/shin_megami_tensei_online_imagine/guide_part1.php (Down Often)
http://www.*************/computer/doswin/file/921999/50126 (Player Skills FAQ)
http://www.*************/computer/doswin/file/921999/50070 (Quest Guide)
[NOTE: Replace the censor with gamefaq$.com with the $ replaced with s]

"A countless number of individual sorrows, joys, hatreds, and loves snuffed out. They will all come back and be reborn, just the way I was. And the time for creation and rebuilding has begun!"

monkeylite said:
I am going to assume that there won't be an English version out right? :(

Everyone is assuming likewise. :C

Slavik81 said:
IMAGINE Setup?
Are you pirating a DS game? Ubisoft will not be pleased.

:lol
The full name is Megami Tensei Online: IMAGINE

My download is finished! Now installing... HOLY MOLY THERE'S MUSIC IN THE INSTALLER

edit: more downloads... look at the OP for details. I think I am going to go grab lunch now.

I LOVE THiS GAME EVEN THOUGH I DON'T UNDERSTAND 98% OF THE TEXT

The music is so reminiscent of SMT I and II. In fact, everything is so reminiscent of those two games. It's like a rose-tinted, nostalgia-laced trip to the wonderful land of HAPPY MEMORIES.

We need to start a NeoGAF guild now!

edit: my pc's name is よつばと (yotsubato)

Yasser

MedievalManIII said:
I LOVE THiS GAME EVEN THOUGH I DON'T UNDERSTAND 98% OF THE TEXT

The music is so reminiscent of SMT I and II. In fact, everything is so reminiscent of those two games. It's like a rose-tinted, nostalgia-laced trip to the wonderful land of HAPPY MEMORIES.

We need to start a NeoGAF guild now!

edit: my pc's name is よつばと (yotsubato)
i don't know any japanese at all, should i even bother? like are the menus at least in english?

hyp

Yasser said:
i don't know any japanese at all, should i even bother? like are the menus at least in english?

i'm in the same boat. big SMT fan, but is this even worth installing if i japanese is pretty much alien language to me?

Yasser said:

Barely anything is in English. The only things that show up as English are the little buttons that bring up character sheets, etc. and the location names.

wedge55

I managed to strongarm my way through the tutorial and have been fumbling around the world. I have no idea how to tame demons, but I think I figured out how to start conversations with them, at least. Even though I only have the slightest clue what's going on, it's pretty obvious that this game is fairly awesome. English version please.

Also, I haven't been able to figure out exactly what the stats are, so I've just been raising them all equally. I'm sure this is a sound decision.

wedge55 said:
I managed to strongarm my way through the tutorial and have been fumbling around the world. I have no idea how to tame demons, but I think I figured out how to start conversations with them, at least. Even though I only have the slightest clue what's going on, it's pretty obvious that this game is fairly awesome. English version please.

Also, I haven't been able to figure out exactly what the stats are, so I've just been raising them all equally. I'm sure this is a sound decision.

How do you start conservations with demons?

The first stat (カ)probably means strength. The rest...I don't know.

wedge55

MedievalManIII said:
How do you start conservations with demons?

The first stat (カ)probably means strength. The rest...I don't know.

Under the skills menu there's these three blue icons near the bottom, one is a little dude waving and the other two sort of look like a person yelling at some sort of creature. All three of them can be used in combat and cause you character to yell something and some text to flash across the screen. I've been trying different combinations of the three skills, but can't seem to actually tame a demon. Gonna do some more experimenting with it later.

wedge55 said:
Under the skills menu there's these three blue icons near the bottom, one is a little dude waving and the other two sort of look like a person yelling at some sort of creature. All three of them can be used in combat and cause you character to yell something and some text to flash across the screen. I've been trying different combinations of the three skills, but can't seem to actually tame a demon. Gonna do some more experimenting with it later.

I managed to get a Pixie and a three eyed floater (forgot to read its name). I just used the "wave hello" conservation skill three times to capture it.

wedge55, we need to add each other to our friends list for some epic questing. You can find my PC's name a few posts above. I'm level 4 at the moment. What level are you?

dili

Why didn't Atlus ever localize this for NA. *sigh*

It was an MMO that actually interested me for once.

wedge55

My character's name is 肉サラダ which Babel Fish assures me means "meat salad." I'm like level 4 or 5, I'm logging on right now to add you to my friends list and to try and capture a pixie of my own!

Edit: I certainly can't figure out how to use the friends list :lol

wedge55 said:
My character's name is 肉サラダ which Babel Fish assures me means "meat salad." I'm like level 4 or 5, I'm logging on right now to add you to my friends list and to try and capture a pixie of my own!

Edit: I certainly can't figure out how to use the friends list :lol

:lol

I should be back in-game in about an hour.

edit: if i recall properly, there should be a NPC in Third Home that teaches you how to use the friends list.

noonche

Man, the updater takes forever in this game. Anyway, I've downloaded it, and I'll definitely play it some when I get a chance.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
MedievalManIII said:
and now we play a new game:
figure out what the stats are!

Approximately:

力 = Strength
魔力 = Magic
体力 = Stamina
知力 = Intelligence
速さ = Speed
運 = Luck

Even if you don't have Japanese support, they are in that order.

wedge55

Kyouji said:
Approximately:

力 = Strength
魔力 = Magic
体力 = Stamina
知力 = Intelligence
速さ = Speed
運 = Luck

Even if you don't have Japanese support, they are in that order.

You're a saint!

xcomp

I've been playing since the closed betas but haven't played it recently.

Presentation's great. Just wish you could explore more. Most of the buildings are just there for decoration.

For the most part, you'll be saving money to buy bronze and silver medals so that you can create an instance of a dungeon for your own party. No worries about campers. Once inside, you fight your way towards the boss, "fishing" mobs carefully so that you don't get wiped. Then you repeat.

Loads of people sit at the gate so the lag is crazy there and, parties are made up of all sorts of levels. You can be level 1 and join a level 60 to level up in no time. They don't mind.

Story quests had no level limits the last time I played so you can just bring a high level player with you and finish them in seconds.

mega21gb2.jpg

Fio

Sorry but not even the awesomeness of SMT can make me love MMORPGs. But wow, I'm really tempted to give a try.

pj

Banned
how do you create a character? I don't think it's accepting the names I'm putting in or something..

xcomp

pj325is said:
how do you create a character? I don't think it's accepting the names I'm putting in or something..
Names have to be entered in double-byte characters. I think you have to choose "Full Width (全角英数)" or something in the IME language bar.

Reilly said:
I assume this doesn't work on Mac OSX?

This game was designed for Windows XP/Vista so I would say no.

pj325is said:

The name for your character must be a unique name. Maybe a different name would work.

thanks

Vista user with a Tux icon? FAIL.
J/k, I'm not a militant Linux advocate, just a plain Linux advocate. Gaming partition? Sad but true I'm also forced to keep this virus (Vista) on my machine.

I NEED to start playing this game, is a NeoGaf guild up already?

pj

Banned
MedievalManIII said:
This game was designed for Windows XP/Vista so I would say no.

The name for your character must be a unique name. Maybe a different name would work.

pj325is isn't very common, I think. But I even tried strings of random shit, in both english and japanese, and I don't think any of it worked. (I tried full width too)

What is supposed to happen when it accepts a name?

pj325is said:
pj325is isn't very common, I think. But I even tried strings of random shit, in both english and japanese, and I don't think any of it worked. (I tried full width too)

What is supposed to happen when it accepts a name?

Hmmm... Maybe it doesn't accept numbers. I haven't seen a PC name with numbers in it.

thanks said:
I NEED to start playing this game, is a NeoGaf guild up already?

No. And by the way, guilds are called Klans in the game.

Reilly said:
Can someone help me register? What is it asking me to type?

NOTE: the red button means to accept

Screens
1) Terms and conditions
2) E-mail address form
3) E-mail address verification
4) E-mail address activation (check your inbox)
5) User information form

5a) IMAGINE ID (username)
5b) Password
5c) Password verification
5d) E-mail address
5e) Security question
5f) Security answer
5g) E-mail notifications (Receive; Don't Receive)

6) User information verification
7) Registration is complete!

7a) Download link for game
7b) Return to the index page

Top Bottom