• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 - Famitsu 360 news

MCD

not sure if this is legit or not, but anyway, here it is:

The user interface is different than the one shown at the tokyo gameshow. This time, there’s a little more effort put into the tutorial. People didn't really like the whole tutorial guide crap in the beginning of the game. So this time it'll be made to be more user friendly and noob friendly. Game tips will also be posted when you die. Something about you can see movies of the tutorial in the "secret book", which I'm assuming is something that is in your menu. It uses the kurosawa movie style shaders.

You can only recover your life once from save statues this time. This is to prevent the game from being dull if you just stay at one point and try to mass grind money [essence farm]. Now if you reach a save point, you can use the life recovery and move onto the next save point. You will gain a "stock" of full life recovery. Kind of like an e-tank from megaman i guess. This time there's auto and manual save, so that you can save it at different points of the game in different files, kind of like in Final Fantasy so you can re-visit those spots again easily

This game isn't going to be like the last where you're always going back to Tairon. Instead the game is more like an "always moving forward" type of game, although you will return to Tairon at some points, they're a little more rare this time around. Even with that said, the game is not a completely straight forward go from level 1 to level 10 to clear the game type of game. Each area is made to be pretty "fresh," in the sense that it'll be a pretty detailed world that maybe eerie.

This time, the enemies will chase Ryu Hayabusa around by running on walls and using consecutive asuka-gaeshi's (whatever this is). During areas where there are enemies like this, it may become a circumstance where it'd be better off escaping. However, trying to just freely run towards the goal rather than going backwards will be tough. If you happen to escape through where you came from, enemeis may keep chasing you and some considerations to render the murasama shop useless that was once on the same road.

This time around they don't want to make the battle areas so restricted. They don't want to make it like those other games where you can't exit an area until you defeat all of the appearing enemies. In most instances, if you can outsmart your opponents you should be able to run away. Although of course if you're really skilled at fighting, you may do that as well and find it easier to do. Basically they're giving you options.

When you receive damage from enemies, there are parts that can't be healed through auto healing. This is called the necrosis system. You can only hold 6 items this time around. One bad aspect about the last game is that there were too many healing items made available to use.

Certain damaged areas can only be healed through items.You can only hold 6 items this time around. One bad aspect about the last game is that there were too many healing items made available to use. They basically went back to its roots of life management for the game so that you can't overheal against bosses. Also, they're going make you think more about using potions. For example, do you use a healing item that recovers 50% life when you're only down 30? You can't really waste your healing items as much in this game.

This time when you try to use items with the d-pad, the game will pause momentarily so that you can think about which item(s) to use wisely, since you can only carry 6 this time. This time you can't waste your game over-recovery talisman. You can't do what you did in the last game and just use it up and then reset the game. Basically, the talisman will come with strings attached to prevent that.

There will be 4 difficulty levels. Level 2 will be recommended for those who cleared the first game. Level 3 for those pretty skilled and huge fans. Level 4 is made to be really hard. They're thinking about possibly altering how much damage you take and how many items you can carry depending on the difficulty. Those who have played the last game may find the lowest difficulty (shinobi no michi) [Ninja Dog] a little disappointing. In the last game I mean. But this time around it'll be more enjoyable and interesting [funnier] than the last game's "ninja dog".

source: http://www.ninjafortress.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3073

thanks to vspectra06 for the heads up and NF members.

I find the health and saving systems in this game very interesting.

You can only recover your life once from save statues this time. This is to prevent the game from being dull if you just stay at one point and try to mass grind money [essence farm].
Seems like they are really going to great lengths to prevent people from cheesing through the game.
However, trying to just freely run towards the goal rather than going backwards will be tough.
Ninja Gaiden 2 > Lost Planet
You can only hold 6 items this time around. One bad aspect about the last game is that there were too many healing items made available to use. They basically went back to its roots of life management for the game so that you can't overheal against bosses.
Oh shit. What am I going to do when the game ends with 5 boss fights in a row? :lol
This time you can't waste your game over-recovery talisman. You can't do what you did in the last game and just use it up and then reset the game. Basically, the talisman will come with strings attached to prevent that.
So it deletes the talisman from your save? Crazy.

But this time around it'll be more enjoyable and interesting [funnier] than the last game's "ninja dog".
WIN

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
When you receive damage from enemies, there are parts that can't be healed through auto healing. This is called the necrosis system. You can only hold 6 items this time around. One bad aspect about the last game is that there were too many healing items made available to use.

Certain damaged areas can only be healed through items.You can only hold 6 items this time around. One bad aspect about the last game is that there were too many healing items made available to use. They basically went back to its roots of life management for the game so that you can't overheal against bosses. Also, they're going make you think more about using potions. For example, do you use a healing item that recovers 50% life when you're only down 30? You can't really waste your healing items as much in this game.

So, Ryu takes location specific damage, or, am I just understanding this wrong?

Also, I don't see how this is special in the slightest. So what, you have limited items, and have to "choose between the big or small potion". Don't people do this anyways, in every other game that has healing items? Its called, common sense.

You can't do what you did in the last game and just use it up and then reset the game. Basically, the talisman will come with strings attached to prevent that.

This doesn't sound too good? Auto-saving right after the items are used? You could completely fuck over your game file if you can't reset to start over with all the items you had before.

NeonBlade

Banned
This time, the enemies will chase Ryu Hayabusa around by running on walls and using consecutive asuka-gaeshi's (whatever this is). During areas where there are enemies like this, it may become a circumstance where it'd be better off escaping. However, trying to just freely run towards the goal rather than going backwards will be tough. If you happen to escape through where you came from, enemeis may keep chasing you and some considerations to render the murasama shop useless that was once on the same road.

I don't own a Xbox360, so I may never play this game unless my friend lends me his again like he did to play crap like BioShock and Mass Effect, but that is exactly what you could do in Ninja Gaiden: Sigma. Run away, fall throw the floor, go through an opening and many others, AND almost unintentionally mess up your Karma score.

More games need to be like DMC3 and make a barrier appear, and I don't care why it appears, just make something happen to stop shit like that from happening.

Mamesj

Banned

so awesome. I was worried that with healing save points, the game would be much easier than NG1 and Black, but I guess not. Limiting people to 6 items is sure to yield a shitload of whining, from me included :D

Oldschoolgamer said:
So, Ryu takes location specific damage, or, am I just understanding this wrong?

Also, I don't see how this is special in the slightest. So what, you have limited items, and have to "choose between the big or small potion". Don't people do this anyways, in every other game that has healing items? Its called, common sense.

Did you play NG1? You could stockpile items, then spam them on bosses to slide by the hard parts. Limiting items prevents this.

MCD

Green Shinobi said:
This doesn't sound too good? Auto-saving right after the items are used? You could completely fuck over your game file if you can't reset to start over with all the items you had before.

They are talking about the talisman of rebirth, when you use it the game will auto save or something.

so when you reset you can't use it again.

not sure though.

karasu

I don't like the sound of messing around with saves. I had to beat that red dragon in Sigm with 25% health and no items all because I screwed up a save. That was not fun.

Draft

Healing item change sounds good. Will make cheesing impossible. You'll have to actually learn bosses.

The not having to kill enemies sounds interesting. You could do some serious speed runs :lol

The health change sounds good too. It looks like they are moving away from being so item dependent. You're gonna have to win fights, not just spend your way through them.

Aumann

Green Shinobi said:

or you could create multiple identical save files in case you fuck up and waste your talisman. just load the next file.

Mamesj said:
which is a good thing.

No, it's not. I hate negative reinforcement in games. As I get older, I want to be REWARDED for the good, without being punished for the bad. If somebody wants to cheese their way through, why prevent that from happening? It's not like they'll have a good score or anything, but at least they'll be able to see the entire game instead of getting stuck at a certain point.

And if someone wants to beat the game on Very Hard with just the wooden bat then let them and reward them with a higher score for doing so.

I love Ninja Gaiden though, so I'm sure overall the gameplay will be fantastic. My sentiments are in general.

Aumann said:
or you could create multiple identical save files in case you fuck up and waste your talisman. just load the next file.
Maybe Itagaki thought of that too. Maybe if multiple identical save files are detected it'll brick your 360. I wouldn't put that past Itagaki.

Draft

I'm sure it's not going to just save your game as soon as the talisman goes off. I bet it goes back through all the saves tied to your account and erases all aspects of it. That's just the Team Ninja way :lol

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Hopefully I can convince my friend to buy this game for the 360 so I can play it hehe I will get him hyped! :D

karasu said:
I don't like the sound of messing around with saves. I had to beat that red dragon in Sigm with 25% health and no items all because I screwed up a save. That was not fun.
It's much easier to kill with 5% health and the Unlabored Flawlessness.

don't get hit though.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I3rand0 said:
"They don't want to make it like those other games where you can't exit an area until you defeat all of the appearing enemies."

Yeah please don't make it like Ninja Gaiden.

Or like everything that's been shown of NG2, for that matter. Weird.

D2M15 said:
Or like everything that's been shown of NG2, for that matter. Weird.
Not true. I've seen all the videos and the player always chose to stay and fight. There were no doors or barriers blocking the path, only enemies. The only exception might be that spider fiend fight in the dojo.

beat

bluemax said:
This doesn't sound like they made it more noob friendly at all. If anything this sounds more off putting.
Well, there's the partial auto-healing that counters all the new restrictions.

Mamesj

Banned
Omar Ismail said:
No, it's not. I hate negative reinforcement in games. As I get older, I want to be REWARDED for the good, without being punished for the bad. If somebody wants to cheese their way through, why prevent that from happening? It's not like they'll have a good score or anything, but at least they'll be able to see the entire game instead of getting stuck at a certain point.

And if someone wants to beat the game on Very Hard with just the wooden bat then let them and reward them with a higher score for doing so.

I love Ninja Gaiden though, so I'm sure overall the gameplay will be fantastic. My sentiments are in general.

it's an action game. they're not going to positively reinforce you because you don't want to actually play it. I'm sick of games that are a walk in the park, personally, and would hate to see one of the last bastions of difficult games get squashed. The AI in Ninja Gaiden is magnificent, the best there is in any game imho. Playing against it is a joy and dying is not a problem because you know you got outsmarted--not unfairly destroyed.

why give someone the ability to cheat? That would mean intentionally breaking the game. If you do that, you may as well give people ability to watch a video of the game being played. better yet, an option to see the ending as soon as you pop in the disc.

Anyway, there's still Ninja Dog mode for people who like a tamer game and harder difficulties as well. If it's truly well designed, Ninja Dog will still be easy enough to get through without unlimited potions (though it sounds like unlimited potions might make it in to ND mode anyway.) The best option would obviously be a wide range for all types of players. I'm not so into it that I think lighter gamers shouldn't play it at all. :D

gcubed

beat said:
Well, there's the partial auto-healing that counters all the new restrictions.

yea, so they made some tradeoff's. But I think the general gaming public has realized that Ninja Gaiden is not an easy fighting action game. While it puts off some potential buyers, its an awesome game for what it is, and you should know that before going in to it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
buhmmm, I don't like the weird save crap with your talismans, but the rest sounds great. The talisman thing is fucking dumb though. I bet once you lose your talisman a clip of Itagaki laughing at you will start playing.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
wild guess, but kurosawa's 'high and low' was in black and white, except for i believe a red cloud of smoke. maybe the tutorial will be black and white with certain objects highlighted in red? that's a bit obscure -- maybe it just looks like black and white film

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
a Master Ninja said:
Not true. I've seen all the videos and the player always chose to stay and fight.

Then I misread the report to mean that the game would actually be free-flowing; having the courtesy to not put up a shiny barrier between one enemy spawn and the empty, fixed path to the next isn't quite the generational leap I was hoping for.

beat

Mamesj said:
why give someone the ability to cheat? That would mean intentionally breaking the game. If you do that, you may as well give people ability to watch a video of the game being played. better yet, an option to see the ending as soon as you pop in the disc.
It's the customer's choice. It's like if someone goes to a restaurant and orders a steak well-done, it's what he wants. So what if it's ruining a great piece of meat? Let the customer get what he wants. Imagine if DVDs couldn't be fast-forwarded and had no chapter skip. Imagine if books prevented you from skipping around in them. (Yes, even if you already read it once.)

Let the player do whatever he or she likes is my philosophy. As long as it's not a multiplayer game where the exploits would break fairness, it's all good.

Mamesj

Banned
beat said:
It's the customer's choice. It's like if someone goes to a restaurant and orders a steak well-done, it's what he wants. So what if it's ruining a great piece of meat? Let the customer get what he wants. Imagine if DVDs couldn't be fast-forwarded and had no chapter skip. Imagine if books prevented you from skipping around in them. (Yes, even if you already read it once.)

Let the player do whatever he or she likes is my philosophy. As long as it's not a multiplayer game where the exploits would break fairness, it's all good.

It's a matter of design. This is media, not food. Fast forward also has nothing to do with it, since this is a game based on rules, not a movie or book.

How about this: they don't let any guy in the stands jump into a pro baseball game until he has put in the requisite training and developed the necessary skills to compete. The rules of baseball also don't have obvious openings where a skill-less person could easily exploit them to win. But a random guy from the stands is more than welcome to join a neighborhood pick up game that suits his skill level. That's how Ninja Gaiden players like it. Just like everyone would hate it if there simple cheats in an MP game that would allow a noob to win with no skill, it's the same way. Also, a matchmaking system that never matched you with people of equal skill would suck.

Stick to Ninja Dog mode, that's what it's there for.

duckroll

beat said:
It's like if someone goes to a restaurant and orders a steak well-done, it's what he wants. So what if it's ruining a great piece of meat? Let the customer get what he wants.

There are great restaurants that won't do that. The chef will refuse to cook a good piece of meat well done. If you don't like it, don't eat there. :D

I love the sound of a lot of these changes. A lot of thought seems to have been given to the balance of the game. The only thing in the article that worried me a bit was the lack of barriers and such that would prevent Ryu from running through the map. Hayabusa is incredibly swift. As much as the A.I may or may not have been improved I can't picture any A.I stopping me short of a teleporting mage. Through roll jumping (although I believe this has been replaced with dash), wall running, backwards shuriken throws, ninpo defensive spells, etc one might not have to hard of a time evading his way to an end boss. I can only hope that through such cowardly acts the lack of essence gains, upgrades, and items would cut you off from any hope of beating the stage. I'm not overly worried though, Itagaki won't let me down :).

Shoho

Banned
wow. it seems like this game will be tight as hell.

besides too human, this is the only game I would ever consider buying for my 360. im really getting burned out on it... I should have gotten a ps3:(

I wonder if they will make a ninja gaiden sigma 2, for ps3?

FFChris

Shoho said:

besides too human, this is the only game I would ever consider buying for my 360. im really getting burned out on it... I should have gotten a ps3:(

Doubtful, as this is a MS published game.

Edit: Seriously, the only game? Not even...DMC4 for example?

RumFore

Banned
Shoho said:

Did you at least take a glimpse of the games on the system? If so why would you buy the damn system if the only games you would EVER consider buying for it is Too Human and Ninja Gaiden which aren't even out yet?:lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I read this last night but I wasn't 100% sure if it was real so I didn't post it since I didn't see any posts that the Famitsu 360 was revealed this week by duckroll or neo or any of the regular scan posters...

Then a few people told me today that it's a pretty credible site for Team Ninja news...

And I for one love the new changes - no cheesing will give you even more of a feeling of accomplishment when you beat a challenge - they really aren't kidding around this time!

Stuff like enemies using wall-runs and wall flips whenever you try to use them as well (which I think "asuka-gaeshi's" is getting at?) is going to be a sight to see with the increased amount of enemies, with the stunning Ninja Gaiden A.I. and all...

Man, I hope the demo comes out soon!

Foil

Shoho said:

lol.

Shoho

Banned
FFChris said:
Doubtful, as this is a MS published game.

Edit: Seriously, the only game? Not even...DMC4 for example?

ohh mate I meant exclusives. Of course DMC4 and GTA4 both looks cool.

And I liked Mass Effect well enough. So I guess the sequels will be in order. I cant imagine mass effect, a MS franchise going to PS3. No matter what EA says.

I just dont like xbox live. I think people are mean:( so I dont feel like using xbox anymore. Seems to be less idiots on ps3 due to looser online integration and less voice communication. I think it would be a more pleasent experience, instead of getting death threats every time I play Halo 3. amazing online mode, but I gave it up after 5 hours.

God I sound like a elitst prick.

RavenFox

Banned
I can already hear the curses and the sounds of controllers being thrown. Hmm Tecmo or Capcom should do shadow skill.

Shoho

Banned
RumFore said:
Did you at least take a glimpse of the games on the system? If so why would you buy the damn system if the only games you would EVER consider buying for it is Too Human and Ninja Gaiden which aren't even out yet?:lol

the first one I had I bought at launch. oblivion, and graw. Both games I didnt enjoy as much as their prequels. Particularly Oblivion felt like a dumped down version of morrowind. I was really... "holy crap".

Sold it.

I bought another one during the launch of gears of war. was pretty fun game, but quickly forgot about it. time passed, I played and bought other games. assassins creed, mass effect, **** and *****, cod4, halo 3... some of them where fun, but in the end, they where nothing memorable or interesting(to me that is).

and I just couldnt deal with XBL.

So the answer is that I thought I would enjoy alot of the games on the system, more than I actually did.

I thought that gamerscore would make me finish and buy and complete games 100% but in the end I didnt care. couldnt motivate me to play crap that was not entertaining to me.

On Arcade, the only things I really enjoyed was Lumines Live. that was fun and unexpected, but that was pretty much it.

I sound like a tool, dont i?
I just like some damn good stories in games. I dont need all that other crap. More games like MGS. with interesting worlds and stuff.

FFChris

Shoho said:
I just dont like xbox live. I think people are mean:( so I dont feel like using xbox anymore. Seems to be less idiots on ps3 due to looser online integration and less voice communication. I think it would be a more pleasent experience, instead of getting death threats every time I play Halo 3. amazing online mode, but I gave it up after 5 hours.

Yup, that's a lot of peoples experience online, especially on Halo 3. People are assholes, whatever platform you play on. But as you say, giving everyone a free microphone with the 360 encourages jerks to be...well, jerks.

Try Team Fortress 2, apparently the online community is much better there.

Shoho

Banned
FFChris said:
Yup, that's a lot of peoples experience online, especially on Halo 3. People are assholes, whatever platform you play on. But as you say, giving everyone a free microphone with the 360 encourages jerks to be...well, jerks.

Try Team Fortress 2, apparently the online community is much better there.

I have hold back on buying Orange box mate. I want a new pc this spring, so I wanna play it in uber resolution, and with 32 players online instead of 16:) I cant wait to play it. Never played team fortress. everyone says its amazing.:))

Top Bottom