• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 - Famitsu 360 news

MCD

Shoho said:
did MS also publish NG1 or was that tecmo?

what is the guy doing now, who did sigma?

NG1 was published by Tecmo.

NG2 is published by Microsoft Game Studios.

though on the main Japanese site: http://www.tecmo.co.jp/product/ng2/index.html

Tecmo is still listed, so i guess it's co-published between Tecmo/MS or maybe because Team Ninja is owned by Tecmo.

and Hayashi did Sigma.

JdFoX187

Banned
How do you guys have the cash to just buy, sell and rebuy systems all the time? Send me that cash and the system and I'll remove your temptations.

Anyway, I'm still, slowly, making my way through Ninja Gaiden Sigma. It's a welcome change from the games I usually play. Some of these decisions are interesting and seem like they'll make the game more difficult. But there's always a challenge.

Everything seems fine and dandy.

Although, what the hell is this 'running away bullshit'?

Give me barriers, give me lock doors, whatever -- the reason why you get to see the next screen is because you survived the previous fight, not because you roll-jumped away from it.

beat

It's a matter of design. This is media, not food. Fast forward also has nothing to do with it, since this is a game based on rules, not a movie or book.
(Food is also a matter of design, BTW) OK, so it's like how people play Monopoly with their own variant rules. Customer's choice. Honestly, I played NG and NGB and made it through, but it doesn't affect me at all if other people grind or cheese their way through a game.

There are great restaurants that won't do that. The chef will refuse to cook a good piece of meat well done.
Yeah, I know. But I've seen and read a lot of interviews where truly world-renowned chefs say they're willing to do that if that'll make the customer happy, since _it's not about the chef's desires, but the customer's_.

Sweet, sounds like a more open action adventure game that the first Ninja Gaiden gave a bit of a taste at, nice to see they not adhering to some archaic game design of simply locked areas for the sake of it. It's not like you couldn't floor it and move around in the first game for some areas when you wanted to anyway.

One bad aspect about the last game is that there were too many healing items made available to use.

No, it wasn't. It called being merciful. It wasn't like Ninja Gaiden was a walk in the park for most people.

C- Warrior said:
Everything seems fine and dandy.

Although, what the hell is this 'running away bullshit'?

Give me barriers, give me lock doors, whatever -- the reason why you get to see the next screen is because you survived the previous fight, not because you roll-jumped away from it.
Not like it forces you to run away, you can obviously keep on fighting. Choice is good.

Sounds to me like the game will be just as hard or harder, but that more thought is being put in to keep you from finding yourself in any unbeatable situation, as well as never letting you get invincible. I can definitely appreciate that. Thats one of very few things that the previous game needed.

zenbot

The Faceless Master said:
TEAM NINJA AINT NOTHIN' TO FUCK WITH
Haha, word is bond!

I loved Ninja Gaiden, but I don't think I've got another game of its type in me. I'm getting old!

D3VI0US

DMC4 and NG2 in pretty quick succession will sweet sexy action gaming bliss this fall. I can't wait for to see both next gen iterations in these franchises.

East Lake

Sviatoslav said:
Not like it forces you to run away, you can obviously keep on fighting. Choice is good.
Your health also doesn't recharge if you don't kill them all, I can see where C- Warrior's coming from though. In the higher difficulties it should have the enemies chase you down if you try and run away. :lol

MCD

KevinCow said:
Any word on if they've finally bothered to fix the fucking camera that they failed to fix with two rereleases?

I don't think it's the camera, more like the auto lock system.

it's a double edged weapon, sometimes it's a pain with bosses, sometimes it's excellent.

Antimatter said:
Your health also doesn't recharge if you don't kill them all, I can see where C- Warrior's coming from though. In the higher difficulties it should have the enemies chase you down if you try and run away. :lol
That's what it says in the article, enemies chase you if you try to run away.

Sean

Banned
I wonder what they'll do for Ninja Dog mode this time. Didn't they give Ryu a pink bracelet or something in the first one when you select the easy difficulty? :lol

Kaervas

Banned
duckroll said:
There are great restaurants that won't do that. The chef will refuse to cook a good piece of meat well done. If you don't like it, don't eat there. :D

Or the meat is so good that it does not matter how you cook it, you can't ruin it.

Unfortunately, this is not the case.

KevinCow

Banned
McDragon said:
I don't think it's the camera, more like the auto lock system.

it's a double edged weapon, sometimes it's a pain with bosses, sometimes it's excellent.
I'm not sure what game you were playing, but in the two levels I played there wasn't a single moment where I would have described the camera as anything better than "almost sort of competent," much less "excellent." Though there were probably like two points max where I would have called it "almost sort of competent." More often, I would have called it "completely broken and absolute shit."

East Lake

Sviatoslav said:
That's what it says in the article, enemies chase you if you try to run away.
Sorry about that, should have been more clear. I meant with essentially no means of escape, basically forcing you to deal with them.

MCD

KevinCow said:
I'm not sure what game you were playing, but in the two levels I played there wasn't a single moment where I would have described the camera as anything better than "almost sort of competent," much less "excellent." Though there were probably like two points max where I would have called it "almost sort of competent." More often, I would have called it "completely broken and absolute shit."

Like i said, i don't think it's the camera at fault here, it's the auto lock mechanism.

and if it's "completely broken and absolute shit", no one would have been able to beat Master Ninja mode.

KevinCow

Banned
McDragon said:
and if it's "completely broken and absolute shit", no one would have been able to beat Master Ninja mode.
Sure they would have. Just like people managed to beat Devil May Cry on its hardest difficulty. You just have to memorize every level and exactly where every enemy is and the camera's not a problem because you know when enemies are off-screen.

The cameras are still completely broken and absolute shit.

Antimatter said:
Sorry about that, should have been more clear. I meant with essentially no means of escape, basically forcing you to deal with them.
Sounds like something Itagaki might do. :lol Or maybe hand out those zero point achievements for running away.

KevinCow said:
Any word on if they've finally bothered to fix the fucking camera that they failed to fix with two rereleases?
the camera needs fixing?

i didn't notice, i was too busy killing shit.

maybe you need to play better?

or worse, ninja dog mode FTW!

KevinCow said:
Right Trigger, seriously. I suppose Mario Galaxy has a "shit camera" too?

Pachinko

Here's a thought, make it so you can only hold 1 resurrection talisman at a time instead of buying 3 of them like in the first game AND you space out the store so that it always comes AFTER the save point but before the boss, so you can't simply go kill hordes of bats with the golden armband equipped to max out everything and go back and save again.

I imagine the game will also be balanced in such a way that it'll work however they do it. I mean the first ninja gaidens' normal mode it was most definetly possible to get through the game without using potions or resurrection talismans if you were skilled enough ; however, for most people the first time through the game most especially the final boss gauntlet you needed all the help you could possibly get. I just see the second one having bosses balanced to work with the new limits placed upon the player- I mean Ryu seems to be much stronger this time around then before so normal enemies in turn pose less of a threat and even if you do get damaged by normal peons they spit out blue essence for you to heal up with. That leaves boss encounters and well I simply don't see them fucking it up and having a devil may cry 3 situation on their hands so I have faith.

Dahbomb

So basically they are removing all the abusing elements in the game (huge reserves of items and essence farming). I fully approve of these changes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
This and DMC4 make me a happy camper next year. *Flex action game muscles* I still really need to pick up Conan too. <3 360.

I'm also curious on these achievemens, Since it looks like Team Ninja is making no way to cheese your way out off:lol I want to know what type of hair on nuts, head banging against wall achievements they will make.

Not a Noob...1point
-Don't get hit once during the game on hardest difficulty:lol

Try and get those you 1000point achievement whores

MechaX

McDragon said:
Like i said, i don't think it's the camera at fault here, it's the auto lock mechanism.

Having beaten MNM, a majority of the missions on the MN setting, and logging 150+ hours on the game, I can see where he's coming from when he calls the camera shit. The thing is, by the time that most people get to Very Hard and Master Ninja, they're able to utilize audio clues and common AI habits to get out of most situations. On story mode, the camera does a decent enough job of tracking all of the action, unless you're doing some of the more infamous Fiend Challenges.

However, some of the Mission Mode stages have no excuse. Namely, Ryu vs. Two Tanks, most of the boss team ups
(Alma-palette-swap and whip-lady)
have absolutely broken cameras no matter what you do. The mission where you fight Ogres in the sewers is pretty terrible as well (Although, I have to wonder what Itagaki was thinking and/or smoking by putting 3 of the biggest enemies in the game in the smallest, corridor-like stage in the entire game).

MCD

Well, TBH when fighting two or three bosses at once (alma/whip demon) the whole game breaks itself you know :lol

in Sigma, you get to fight Doku, that flying devil (marble?) and Alma, the definition of game breaking lol.

but of course, it ain't perfect and i see where you coming from, my most frustrating moment is the Tanks and Alma, especially Alma since she moves very fast and the auto lock mechanism forces the camera to rotates a lot.

Tain

I am all for them experimenting with saving the game. Saved games have always been the usual fallback, for obvious reasons, but I would be totally fine with whatever they do assuming they plan it in a way that won't let me fuck myself over.

That, and I have stupid amounts of faith in this game.

Dahbomb said:
So basically they are removing all the abusing elements in the game (huge reserves of items and essence farming). I fully approve of these changes.
It'll make me a better player for sure. On the harder difficulties I fully admit to going into boss fights fully stocked (if possible), hoarding talismans, even farming bats for essence. I didn't need to do this, but I did because I could. I'm bracing myself for the possibility of me not being able to get every achievement in this game. If I do, it'll be all the sweeter because Team Ninja is keeping me honest.

a Master Ninja said:
It'll make me a better player for sure. On the harder difficulties I fully admit to going into boss fights fully stocked (if possible), hoarding talismans, even farming bats for essence. I'm bracing myself for the possibility of me not being able to get every achievement in this game. If I do, it'll be all the sweeter because Team Ninja is keeping me honest.

Hearing these changes and seeing the achievements list for DMC4 have me very excited at the challenges I'll have in these action titles for 08.

Dahbomb

a Master Ninja said:
It'll make me a better player for sure. On the harder difficulties I fully admit to going into boss fights fully stocked (if possible), hoarding talismans, even farming bats for essence. I didn't need to do this, but I did because I could. I'm bracing myself for the possibility of me not being able to get every achievement in this game. If I do, it'll be all the sweeter because Team Ninja is keeping me honest.
Every achievement for me for NG2 and DMC4. I was born for these types of games and I will not deny my calling. :D

Aaron

Everything sounds incredible to me. Still a day one purchase for me, perhaps the only one of 2008. The man from Japan is still the man. :D

Vish

Banned
The new changes all sound like a "no big deal" thing to me...well, besides the less backtracking that is.

Cant wait to play!

Shoho said:
ohh mate I meant exclusives. Of course DMC4 and GTA4 both looks cool.

And I liked Mass Effect well enough. So I guess the sequels will be in order. I cant imagine mass effect, a MS franchise going to PS3. No matter what EA says.

I just dont like xbox live. I think people are mean:( so I dont feel like using xbox anymore. Seems to be less idiots on ps3 due to looser online integration and less voice communication. I think it would be a more pleasent experience, instead of getting death threats every time I play Halo 3. amazing online mode, but I gave it up after 5 hours.

God I sound like a elitst prick.

Come to Shadowrun, my good man. The 12 year old Halo bitches seem to avoid Shadowrun like bad poison so most people in the game are friendly and talkative.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
KevinCow said:
Sure they would have. Just like people managed to beat Devil May Cry on its hardest difficulty. You just have to memorize every level and exactly where every enemy is and the camera's not a problem because you know when enemies are off-screen.

The cameras are still completely broken and absolute shit.

Don't know about DMC's camera since I haven't played that extensively with any of the games in the series, but I assure you that no one beats Ninja Gaiden by memorizing where the enemies are - you say this as if the enemies stand completely still or something...

And if you can't handle the camera, then that's on you, and not because it's "completely broken and absolute shit" (boy do I hate these extremes) because I found the camera to be just brilliant, especially for the movie-like angles you get in fights, and the one golden rule that any competent Ninja Gaiden player needed to know about the camera was the Right Trigger, seriously... that's it - learn to adapt, because many out there have just fine...

And I will surely be getting the full 1000 Gamerscore for NG2 - I always do it for any challenging game, and I'll surely do it for this one - just like I did for Lost Planet...

Does anybody think they should do something to Ultimate Techniques? Something about them never felt quite right to me. The moment I discovered they were massive essence multipliers it felt like a waste to kill an enemy using anything but an Ultimate Technique.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Ninja Dog being more fun is great news to me. I cannot waste that much time in hard games anymore.

Everdred

Shoho said:
I just dont like xbox live. I think people are mean:( so I dont feel like using xbox anymore. Seems to be less idiots on ps3 due to looser online integration and less voice communication. I think it would be a more pleasent experience, instead of getting death threats every time I play Halo 3. amazing online mode, but I gave it up after 5 hours.

It will be the same story once PS3 is more popular and affordable. Its not Xbox Live is people in general.

I just knew they'd make this NG even harder.

You can only recover your life once from save statues this time. This is to prevent the game from being dull if you just stay at one point and try to mass grind money [essence farm]. Now if you reach a save point, you can use the life recovery and move onto the next save point.

Certain damaged areas can only be healed through items.You can only hold 6 items this time around. One bad aspect about the last game is that there were too many healing items made available to use. They basically went back to its roots of life management for the game so that you can't overheal against bosses. Also, they're going make you think more about using potions. For example, do you use a healing item that recovers 50% life when you're only down 30? You can't really waste your healing items as much in this game.

This time you can't waste your game over-recovery talisman. You can't do what you did in the last game and just use it up and then reset the game. Basically, the talisman will come with strings attached to prevent that.

There will be 4 difficulty levels. Level 2 will be recommended for those who cleared the first game. Level 3 for those pretty skilled and huge fans. Level 4 is made to be really hard.

Top Bottom