• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Nitrobike (Wii) hands-on + footage

nitrobikewiiboxart_160w.jpg

http://wii.ign.com/articles/844/844021p1.html

As we mentioned, Nitrobike has a ton in common with Nintendo's own first-party racer Excite Truck, which of course is a throwback to the classic Excite series from N64 and NES. Players compete with up to ten other bikers, ripping around tracks in hopes of hitting huge jumps, cashing in trick combos for added boost, and taking first place. Just like its initial inspiration, Nitrobike is heavy on the arcade control, and very light on any sort of sim racing, definitely appealing to the type of gamer that drops quarters for a few minutes of an adrenaline rush. Tilt control is of course embraced, so players will hold the Wii-mote in classic NES position and tilt to steer, use the 1 button as a brake, 2 as gas, d-pad for boost, and a combination of directions and the 1 button mid-air for tricking. Every time you trick, your boost bar increases just a little bit, allowing you to push the limits of your bike further and further throughout the race. Bail, however, and your bar starts to decrease again notch by notch.

With as much in common with Excite Truck as Nitrobike has, players will undoubtedly come to ask themselves why exactly they should drop cash on Ubisoft's offering when Nintendo's design has been on shelves for well over a year now. The truth is, Nitrobike won't be for everyone, but we're convinced it'll find its following just the same. A head-to-head comparison isn't exactly fair, since we'd have to favor in the direction of Excite Truck, as the experience is extremely polished. With that being said, Nitrobike brings more variety to the table from what we've seen so far, so if you don't mind a little less polish all around, you're going to get more depth in return.

The track design in Nitrobike is also more traditional than its Nintendo-made rival, so while Excite Truck had players blasting over canyons and jumping lakes with a single boost, Nitrobike focuses on closed tracks with more technical turns, with the occasional exploding bus or random burst of flames thrown in for good measure. Things can get a bit crowded with ten racers all stetting up at the line to begin a race, and because of it you get some frame issues along the way, but for the most part the experience is pretty fluid and fast. We'll need to spend more time with it before making any final judgments, but there's a definite change in feel when you combine boosting power with a more enclosed track, and it makes for some pretty challenging course design. As you progress through career mode the courses begin to open up a bit more (tier three has you leaping over bridges and racking up hang time of over five seconds per jump), but the general feel remains to be enclosed and linear, as opposed to some of Excite Truck's more open environments.

Another aspect that is definitely upped from Nintendo's launch racer is the overall depth of the career mode, specifically when looking at the amount of challenges and levels. Nitrobike's career mode is made up of nine tiers, totaling over 65 events when all is said and done. Most of the time you'll be racing against a pack of nine other riders, but every once in a while specific events (such as the elimination races) will drop the amount of rivals for a different feel. During these events, stakes are higher, often dumping out the person in last place or having riders race for the chance to earn new bikes or characters to use as the career goes on. Trick Attack events also make their way into the career mode at around tier three, having players nail specific tricks in the fastest possible time to medal in the challenge. Nail gold in every tier's package of events (as well as completing the game 100% throughout) and you'll be rewarded for your efforts once again.

And then there're the online options. Since we're playing off a pre-release build right now we won't have a chance to get into online competitions until much closer to release, but with Wii's online game list leaving much to be desired, the addition of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection support could give Nitrobike a serious push in the hardcore community. Thus far we've raced locally, and also opened up the bowling mini-game, and both have been pretty entertaining. Once we get online, we'll be back with more to share in the multiplayer department.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/949/949711/vids_1.html

I don't know how well tilt controls would work on closed courses, the open enviornments in Excite Truck!! allow the tilt steering to be more forgiving.

Seems generally positive, but a lot of IGN's previews tend to be positive and then the games get slammed in the actual reviews. Less polish than Excite Truck is a bummer, but a beefier career mode is nice.

The real deal maker/breaker is the Wi-Fi. Hurry up with that Wi-Fi preview already IGN!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
No tree runs, no sale.

I loved Excite Truck and all, but "polished" isn't exactly the first term that comes to my mind when I think of it. Can't see the vids right now, if someone can youtube some footage that would be great.

koam

BrodiemanTTR said:
This game is trash, and not trash that can stand on camp value. Just plain trash.

So you've played this unreleased game or are you bashing for the sake of bashing?

Where the fuck are the mods?

MisterHero

BrodiemanTTR said:
This game is trash, and not trash that can stand on camp value. Just plain trash.
Well there's always the possibility that Nintendo will put ExciteBike 64 on VC. :p

Goofy over the top arcade racers are more fun than Jesus breakdancing on a skateboard. I shall consume this game. Especially with it only being $50 AUD instead of the usual $408,000.

lynux3

koam said:
It's made by the makers of ExciteBike 64 and looks to be a fully loaded ExciteTruck therefore it will kick ass.

Excite Truck is horrible though, so again, why would anyone want this crap?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This game has nothing to do with Excite Truck and I hate Ubi's shitty attempt to make it look like there is some sort of connection.

koam

sp0rsk said:
This game has nothing to do with Excite Truck and I hate Ubi's shitty attempt to make it look like there is some sort of connection.

It's made by the ExciteBike 64 people and ExciteTruck is based on that so..

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning Ubi all the time, they didn't make this.

bababa

It could be good, but I doubt $50 good (though I could be wrong). I'll probably wait for the price to go down.

koam

lynux3 said:

ExciteTruck isn't terrible at all, it was just rushed for launch so it's not very feature-heavy

legend166

The fact that there aren't crazy tracks is very sad.

Someone in another thread made a very good point, that the arcade controls and style mixed with realistic tracks most likely won't work.

lynux3 said:

Haha oh wow.

"HEY GUYS I DIDN'T LIKE EXCITE TRUCK, SO IT'S OFFICIALLY HORRIBLE. ALSO WHY WOULD ANYONE LIKE A DIFFERENT GAME IN THE SAME GENRE? IT BOGGLES MY MIND"

sprsk

koam said:
It's made by the ExciteBike 64 people and ExciteTruck is based on that so..

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning Ubi all the time, they didn't make this.

ExciteBike 64 was pretty garbage and also has nothing to do with Excite Truck. Ubi is the publisher.

Go319

Sounds good to me...wish Excite Truck had WiFi...

Anyhow Aussies, its out on 7/2/8 @ $49.95! Budget title FTW!

koam

sp0rsk said:
ExciteBike 64 was pretty garbage and also has nothing to do with Excite Truck. Ubi is the publisher.

Yeah publisher so they have almost nothing to do with this besides funding.

I liked ExciteBike 64, for its time, it was one of the better, if not, the best bike racer. I think the ExciteTruck comparisons come from IGN and they're using that cause most people don't remember ExciteBike 64.

I'm not defending the game, I have no idea if it's good or not, but i think it's a game that's worth trying out at the very least.

sprsk

koam said:
Yeah publisher so they have almost nothing to do with this besides funding.

I liked ExciteBike 64, for its time, it was one of the better, if not, the best bike racer. I think the ExciteTruck comparisons come from IGN and they're using that cause most people don't remember ExciteBike 64.

Oh come on, Ubi most certainly has a say in this product and IGN doesn't have to make comparisons, they make themselves. "Nitro Bike" "Excite Truck" come on now, don't be so dense.

Fredescu

lynux3 said:
Wrong.

IGN said:
while Excite Truck had players blasting over canyons and jumping lakes with a single boost, Nitrobike focuses on closed tracks with more technical turns
Hype extinguished.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I really liked the arcade style racing of EXCITE. Will I love the hardcore track racing of NITRO? OH HELL YES!

======
The AWESOME NITRO Youtube trailer attached:

From the THE OFFICIAL Wii GAMES OF 2008 THREAD

======

20 LEVELS OF TURBO CHARGED GAMEPLAY!
CHALLENGE YOUR FRIENDS ONLINE

DRAMATIC PAUSE

NITRO BIKE! BROTHURRR!!!

oh_hell_yes.gif
oh_hell_yes.gif
oh_hell_yes.gif

The vids looked quite decent. Too bad it lacks polish but it's budget at Amazon so I'll be picking it up.

sp0rsk said:
Oh come on, Ubi most certainly has a say in this product and IGN doesn't have to make comparisons, they make themselves. "Nitro Bike" "Excite Truck" come on now, don't be so dense.
Did ET sell that well that Ubi would aim to persuade people that there is a connection between the two? It certainly is inspired by ET and looks like a mix between EB64 and ET, I think that's where the comparissons stem from. Then again I'm usually not a big believer in conspiracy stories in general.

Bildi

Left Field made it and it only costs AUD$50?

OK, I'm a little more interested than I was five minutes ago. I quite enjoyed ExciteBike64.

Lobster

Banned
50 AUD? Wow! Must buy for me now :)

Hey guys, they actually say its very comparable to Excite Truck..they actually do say its Excite Truck with enclosed tracks and more depth..

Get your asses out of your heads and read the fucking hands on.

Sounds like a game that will get favourable reviews. They didn't even say the controls sucked..they said it worked and that people who like arcadey controls (Excite Truck lovers) will love this game.

Once again,

Lobster

Banned
Hey guys, when the game is released and if you buy it. Head over to Left Fields website where the devs will post their friendcodes.

Lobster said:
Hey guys, they actually say its very comparable to Excite Truck..they actually do say its Excite Truck with enclosed tracks and more depth..
They say it's not as good as excite truck (which they gave an 80 to) because it lacks polish. They say this in a preview.

Sounds like a game that will get favourable reviews. They didn't even say the controls sucked..they said it worked and that people who like arcadey controls (Excite Truck lovers) will love this game.
Then they turn around and say that if it's the open outdoor environments that you liked about Excite Truck, then you're out of luck. And that it has framerate issues.

At first I thought this was a typo and that you meant to write "heads out of your asses", but then you wrote it the exact same way a second time. I assume this is because you live in Australia, where everything is upside down, cats marry dogs, and a half-hearted IGN preview is a precursor to a non-sub-par game.

Teddman

lynux3 said:
No. Excite Truck is nothing less than the best arcade-style racer ever made for consoles.

Banned
Hmm the preview makest the game sound average, I wasn't that big a fan of Excite Truck anyway, and their are better games coming out.

On the other hand Of All Trades is trolling another wii thread. I think I will give the game a shot.

Teddman

Of All Trades said:
I think you meant to type "Hydro Thunder", or maybe Burnout <sequel>.
Hydro Thunder was made for the arcade.

Burnout is debatable, but I think Excite Truck tops it due to the "just barely in control but kicking ass" nature of the controls. Depends on if you prefer street or rally racers.

Top Bottom