• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Nitrobike (Wii) hands-on + footage

Lobster

Banned
Of All Trades said:
They say it's not as good as excite truck (which they gave an 80 to) because it lacks polish. They say this in a preview.

Then they turn around and say that if it's the open outdoor environments that you liked about Excite Truck, then you're out of luck. And that it has framerate issues.

At first I thought this was a typo and that you meant to write "heads out of your asses", but then you wrote it the exact same way a second time. I assume this is because you live in Australia, where everything is upside down, cats marry dogs, and a half-hearted IGN preview is a precursor to a non-sub-par game.

First, they say its not as good as excite truck but it has more depth and variet. More depth and variet will most likely equal a better review. The game even has online.

With that being said, Nitrobike brings more variety to the table from what we've seen so far, so if you don't mind a little less polish all around, you're going to get more depth in return.

They didn't say the controls are an issue with the enclosed environments. They also say the frame rate problems are only when 10 people get together and it gets hectic which just about happens in every game when things get hectic..They then go on to say that the experience is fluid!

The track design in Nitrobike is also more traditional than its Nintendo-made rival, so while Excite Truck had players blasting over canyons and jumping lakes with a single boost, Nitrobike focuses on closed tracks with more technical turns, with the occasional exploding bus or random burst of flames thrown in for good measure. Things can get a bit crowded with ten racers all stetting up at the line to begin a race, and because of it you get some frame issues along the way, but for the most part the experience is pretty fluid and fast.

Its not a typo because in Wii threads, the trolls have asses for heads and heads for asses and they need to get it out of their heads so everything they say isn't ass.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
lynux3 said:
Excite Truck is horrible though.
8bntiy9.jpg

Nitro Bike looks exciting but I think I might wait for GAF impressions before I bite.

Lobster

Banned
If Wario64 doesn't like this, nobody on GAF will like the game. You all know its true. Some people only gave a thought to Excite Truck once Wario64 made that thread.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Lobster said:
If Wario64 doesn't like this, nobody on GAF will like the game. You all know its true. Some people only gave a thought to Excite Truck once Wario64 made that thread.
I bought the game then I saw the thread afterward, I'm awsome.

acm2000

people need to stop buying all the crap like this on wii and stick to the few worth while games, maybe then the wii library can improve

Nocebo

koam said:
ExciteTruck isn't terrible at all, it was just rushed for launch so it's not very feature-heavy
Yeah I was wondering if it was rushed because someone told me there are no cpu players in 2 player mode. It just seemed weird.

Lobster

Banned
acm2000 said:
people need to stop buying all the crap like this on wii and stick to the few worth while games, maybe then the wii library can improve

so what didn't you like about Nitro Bike?

Rody

I just watched a video and the sound is pretty messed up. Also, it looks really repetitive and dull.

Bildi

Windu said:
I bought the game then I saw the thread afterward, I'm awsome.
I saw the thread and still haven't bought the game. I hope I can be awesome too but somehow I don't think I am :(

nightside

I'm pretty sure this won't be budget price in europe and btw I'm little skeptic about the overall quality. This Left Field has very few people in common with the team responsible of EB64, and I don't think it's so easy to replicate the excite factor of ET (mmm..sorry..i meant the EXCITE!!!! factor)....

Damn..I want Excite Trucks 2 soooo bad :-(....

maxmars

Physics and animation seem rather stiff, but the concept is promising. I'm a bit wary of getting it the year Mario Kart comes out, will wait for reviews. IGN previews aren't too informative and this is not an exception unfortunately.

thy_

nightside said:
I'm pretty sure this won't be budget price in europe and btw I'm little skeptic about the overall quality. This Left Field has very few people in common with the team responsible of EB64, and I don't think it's so easy to replicate the excite factor of ET (mmm..sorry..i meant the EXCITE!!!! factor)....

Damn..I want Excite Trucks 2 soooo bad :-(....

http://www.amazon.de/UBI-Soft-Nitrobike/dp/B000VPKKU4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1199790936&sr=8-1

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Nitrobike won't be for everyone, but...

a little less polish all around...

you get some frame issues along the way...

enclosed and linear...

sounds like IGN trying to polish a turd

Lobster

Banned
MrSardonic said:
sounds like IGN trying to polish a turd

Sounds like you chose the words that you want to believe.

They say that NitroBike won't be for everyone because its like Excite Truck..it will gather a following.

a little less polish all around...with more game. Excite Truck was lacking any depth. Once again they were comparing and came to the conclusion that NitroBike has less polish but more depth.

you get some frame issues along the way...when 10 racers are packed together..which is obviously not going to be often unless everyone somehow is magneted together. They also said the experience is mostly fluid!

enclosed and linear...compared to Excite Truck once again..and omfg..all racing game tracks are fucking linear!

Sounds like you're trying to troll a Wii game you know shit about.

CaVaYeRo

koam said:
It's made by the ExciteBike 64 people and ExciteTruck is based on that so..

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning Ubi all the time, they didn't make this.

but they (I think Matt) said that nobody from the old EB64 team were on this project so...

Lobster

Banned
Fredescu said:
Sounds like you have one hell of an emotional investment in this game that you haven't played yet Lobster.

Its because GAF members think they know when a game will suck or rock but they don't. They never know shit!

Here are some examples:

Super Paper Mario

before

"OH OMG THIS GAME WILL BE THE BOMB! THIS IS WHAT MADE ME BOUGHT A WII!

after

"WTF THIS GAME IS SO SHIT! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!"

Twilight Princess

before

"ARGH OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING NINTENDO! STOP MAKING ME WAIT FOR THE BEST GAME EVER! MAKE AMENDS FOR WINDWAKER!"

after

"WINDWAKER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TWILIGHT PRINCESS"

Excite Truck

before

"HEH LOL REGGIE PROMOTING BIG TRUCKS!"

after

"MEH GAME..DOESNT HAVE MUCH DEPTH"

after Wario64 thread

"YEAH I AGREE! SO MUCH DEPTH! FUCKING ROCKS MY SOCKS!"

Wii Fit

before

"DEATH OF GAMING IMMINENT! THIS IS THE REAL PROBLEM WITH GAMING! FUCK YOU NINTENDO!"

after

"HEY LOOK! THATS PRETTY COOL! DAY 1! LOL WII FIT HELPING HARDCORE GAME MARKET!"

Ghost Squad

before

":lol :lol :lol I HOPE NOBODY PLANS ON BUYING THIS! SERIOUSLY! :lol :lol "

after

"MORE LIGHTGUN GAMES SEEEGGGAGAGA!!!GHOST SQUAD WAS VERY GOOD!"
--------------------------------------------------------------
You might be wondering why these are all Wii games..well GAF only ever accuses Wii games of being shit..nothing else!

jett said:
This looks like low-budget shovelware. Some of you will get excited for anything.

Gears of War looked like low-budget shovelware but hey? What the hell did I know about the game?

hint:NOTHING!

JUST LIKE YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS GAME!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I dunno how to feel about this one. I loved Excite Truck, but hated Excitebike 64. If it's anything like the latter I'm more likely to keep my distance.

I'll wait until actual reviews and/or forum consensus create any more positive things to say about this.

Also Lobster: Calm. The fuck. Down.

Lobster

Banned
SovanJedi said:
I dunno how to feel about this one. I loved Excite Truck, but hated Excitebike 64. If it's anything like the latter I'm more likely to keep my distance.

I'll wait until actual reviews and/or forum consensus create any more positive things to say about this.

Also Lobster: Calm. The fuck. Down.

First, they say its more comparable to Excite Truck.

Second, Its hard when members come in and shit on Wii games while if I did that shit in a 360/Ps3 game thread I'd definitely been banned.

I feel like taking my Wii to the basement, taking my games, some coke and sleeping there naked with my Wii.

argh!

I should go play iSketch or something..

edit:

vent!.JPG

I was so close to this :\ restrained myself..

AniHawk said:
It's from the BBC hit comedy, "When the Whistle Blows."

:lol :lol :lol
Hit comedy indeed.

I'm not sure if you were joking and realise that When the Whistle Blows is a fictional comedy created by the character that Ricky Gervais plays in the 'Extras' series. Either way though that made me laugh.

maxmars

SovanJedi: to be fair, Lobster (which I have on ignore for his avatar, so I had to go and check his post) is right in his assessment.

Fredescu

Lobster said:
Its because GAF members think they know when a game will suck or rock but they don't. They never know shit!
No, it's not that. If uninformed opinions always made you react like this, you'd pop a gasket every five minutes on GAF. You need to stop taking them so personally.
Lobster said:
Second, Its hard when members come in and shit on Wii games while if I did that shit in a 360/Ps3 game thread I'd definitely been banned.
Not true at all. Read the latest Rainbow Six 2 screenshots thread for a recent example. If you think that 360 and PS3 game threads are full of people high fiving each other over their perfect games and contain no trolls or genuine disappointment, you mustn't read many of them.

Gwanatu T

Teddman said:
No. Excite Truck is nothing less than the best arcade-style racer ever made for consoles.

Bingo. I guess some people are probably hung up over the controls? I know I HATED the game on launch because I thought it was the most impossible thing to control, then someone showed me that you don't turn the controller, you hold it upright and tilt it and everything suddenly became fun. I'm looking forward to this one, looks great! The addition of online multiplayer in a game like this is an absolute must.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
maxmars said:
SovanJedi: to be fair, Lobster (which I have on ignore for his avatar, so I had to go and check his post) is right in his assessment.

It's not his assessment of the situation that I am questioning, it's just getting into the realms of hysteria that's the problem.

Lobster, you don't have to take matters so personally. It IS the Internet after all. Like others have said it's not like the PS3/360 threads are all about smiles and flowers and unity either. If people don't like the concept of Nitrobike or aren't convinced that it will be anything like Excite Truck with online play, then so be it. If it comes out and we're all wrong, then that's that. We can pick up the game and have fun times online. But don't throw a thrombone and accuse people of "not knowing shit" because their initial impressions of a game don't reflect yours. And I'm sure that a good 9/10 bad opinions of Wii games aren't trolling attempts, so don't focus so much on the ones that are, if any.

If you like it and/or are excited about it, then that's all that should matter to you at the end of the day. Trying to act like a saintly priest with the intention of swaying the masses can only end in tears, so the best thing to do is to ignore the ones that make you the most angry. Go grab some food or play a game if that happens. That's what I've been doing, and thanks to that I've gotten quite a few S Rankings on Umbrella Chronicles already!

Lobster

Banned
Fredescu said:
No, it's not that. If uninformed opinions always made you react like this, you'd pop a gasket every five minutes on GAF. You need to stop taking them so personally.

Not true at all. Read the latest Rainbow Six 2 screenshots thread for a recent example. If you think that 360 and PS3 game threads are full of people high fiving each other over their perfect games and contain no trolls or genuine disappointment, you mustn't read many of them.

I kind of do pop a gasket every five minutes on GAF..I just try not to post each time I do.

The Rainbow Six 2 screenshot thread must've been something..but I didn't post there because my opinion doesn't matter there because I don't own a 360 or Ps3.I saw the screenshots though..I thought they were rather nice. This is what gets to me..most Wii trolls don't even have a Wii..

They basically come in a Wii games thread and do this..

"I don't have a Wii or ever plan on buying a Wii or this game but hey, this game looks like shit!"

edit:anyway im out..playing iSketch..need to cool down I guess..

maxmars

Fredescu said:

Not that I care much, but it's two different things, on Wii games threads you are guaranteed to get many posts just turning down the platform and the games.. For something Wii owners (and all the rest) should have got over time ago.

Just see a few days ago, Konami comes out with two different games, one being a seemingly fresh installment of a succesful franchise (PES2008), and the other being crappy stuff. Can you remember which got far more posts than the other?

I don't have problems with that, I just skip the uninformative stuff, but to come here to learn and discuss about Wii stuff is difficult, the signal to noise ration is very low. To be honest I'm here mostly for PS3 and 360 stuff, two platform I don't own but I am curious about (and may buy as soon as they become palatable products) -- if it was for Wii or PC stuff I would probably not be here.

I don't care if graphically this game sucks, I'd like to know how it handles, if it's got mechanics that can ruin the game (snaking, brain damaged AI, cheats, shortcuts), interesting settings, whatever.

I guess a lot of the people commenting on this game haven't actually watched the Videos. It looks really good to me. Graphics are solid, gameplay seems smooth and the trick system looks interesting.
If the online play is handled well and tehre is 2p+ local multiplayer then this game might well go from a rental to a purchase.

I am actually really surprised by it after the initial lot of screenshots which looked pretty terrible and did scream of shovel ware. That is clearly not the case having watched the videos. Anyone saying so is most definitely talking shit.

Who is Lobster? And why is he suggesting the Wario thread elevated ET to cult status? Those of us that bought it at launch already knew it was a great game. Nitrobike doesn't hold a candle.

maxmars said:
Not that I care much, but it's two different things, on Wii games threads you are guaranteed to get many posts just turning down the platform and the games.. For something Wii owners (and all the rest) should have got over time ago.

Just see a few days ago, Konami comes out with two different games, one being a seemingly fresh installment of a succesful franchise (PES2008), and the other being crappy stuff. Can you remember which got far more posts than the other?

I don't have problems with that, I just skip the uninformative stuff, but to come here to learn and discuss about Wii stuff is difficult, the signal to noise ration is very low. To be honest I'm here mostly for PS3 and 360 stuff, two platform I don't own but I am curious about (and may buy as soon as they become palatable products) -- if it was for Wii or PC stuff I would probably not be here.

I don't care if graphically this game sucks, I'd like to know how it handles, if it's got mechanics that can ruin the game (snaking, brain damaged AI, cheats, shortcuts), interesting settings, whatever.
True words. I have pretty much stopped posting in PC gaming related topics because of constant and annoying trolling cluttering up the threads (and spawning the same tired arguments all over) or if the topic at hand can't be used to troll die pretty fast. I mostly come to GAF for sales-age.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
evilromero said:
Who is Lobster?
One, two, three... four posts upwards of yours. There. That's him.

And why is he suggesting the Wario thread elevated ET to cult status? Those of us that bought it at launch already knew it was a great game. Nitrobike doesn't hold a candle.

It's likely part of the whole "someone well-known makes a thread about something and people follow along with it" idea. Which, admittedly, does tend to happen quite a lot. But it did pretty much become the official thread of Excite Truck praise.

Rezbit

Had no real idea about this game, but if it's any good I might pick it up for budget price. There needs to be more of that sort of thing, especially in Australia (I'm looking at you, RE4 Wii!).

Lobster

Banned
evilromero said:
Who is Lobster? And why is he suggesting the Wario thread elevated ET to cult status? Those of us that bought it at launch already knew it was a great game. Nitrobike doesn't hold a candle.

Err no. Im not saying that it was the people that had it..Im saying that Wario helped to shut up the bitches who complain about games they know shit about and actually try it...and surprise surprise! They loved it!

evilromero said:
So you have played it then?
If not then stop making such stupid comments on a game you haven't touched. It certainly looks better than Excite Truck and from the videos, the gameplay looks very similar. Wait to play the game before making a judgement about which is better.
This is the problem with nintendo platforms in general. If this game had Nintendo's name on it then people would be far more hyped by it. Yes that may well be partly due to the fact that Nintendo games are of higher quality on average than 3rd party developers but that is not the only reason. it is a stupid mindset that needs to change.
It is just like the pathetic "journalists" that say there is nothing in the Wii's 2008 lineup apart from Nintendo games. What rubbish.

Insaniac

not a huge fan of the enclosed tracks, and the graphics really are poor.

I should probably add that I'd prefer Excite! Truck 2 with wifi and more stuff.

keanerie

EXCIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

oh wait...

NIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Top Bottom