• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OKAMI for Wii confirmed 16:9 or flark is publically flayed alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine

Squeak said:
Because turning a globe from outside or inside (the camera in a game is rotating in or on an invisible globe, or you are turning the globe, depending on how you think about it) is really the same thing.

I'm having a really hard time seeing how that would make a playable FPS camera/aim mechanic. A click-drag is essentially a toggle on the pointer, which would interrupt aiming and firing during those moments when it is dragging the camera view. I can see how that might work well as a camera control for a third-person game, where pointing/aiming isn't the primary action mechanic.

Okami Wii WILL support 16x9 and 480p -- CONFIRMED

And Dids works very very hard, and he's a great guy. I would give anything to work for such a wonderous man as Didier....can I come out of the cage now Dids?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Squeak said:
Please tell me exactly where I'm wrong, instead of just throwing random insults.

Every single one of your complaints can also be leveled at the mouse/keyboard setup.

No springs, no feedback, and more movement than is used in an analog stick.

Are you also one of those people that prefers dual-analog to the M/KB setup?

I would agree that MP:C isn't the gold-standard for Wii FPS control, but that's only because the Prime games were intrinsically designed with single-analog in mind (lock-on /w slow moving, weak bullets).

Dever

Banned
flarkminator said:

And Dids works very very hard, and he's a great guy. I would give anything to work for such a wonderous man as Didier....can I come out of the cage now Dids?

Oh awesome. Purchase reconfirmed.

flarkminator said:

1y8pjc.gif

Amir0x said:
the Okami boxart will catch the eyes of the three remaining gamers who were actually ever interested in it who, by a twist of fate, didn't also have a PS2 (because they were dumb).

Don't rub it in.....=(

And I don't actually care about the boxart, I just thought it looked strange compared to the old one.

Christine

ZealousD said:
no feedback

Nitpick - this is very false. You get lots of feedback from surface friction with a mouse. You can even get mouse pads with precisely rough surfaces, they work very well.

Jammy

Banned
flarkminator said:

:D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Squeak said:
Please tell me exactly where I'm wrong, instead of just throwing random insults. That just makes you the retard.

Because turning a globe from outside or inside (the camera in a game is rotating in or on an invisible globe, or you are turning the globe, depending on how you think about it) is really the same thing.

if you imply the inertia factor in the globe rotation, that does not quite apply in the camera control case, unless you introduce a 'view drag' factor - i.e. grabbing & holding your view, accelerating its roation until you let off it. anyhow, i'm not sure at all that'd have worked well in practice. or at least not as well as metroid's camera does. btw, what did elebits do in this respec, i can't quite remember, though i do remembr the camera control felt quite good there.

on a totally unrelated note, is it me or is amir0x getting slightly nervous, imminent perma-ban & stuff.

Narag

flarkminator said:

I'm so glad you post here.

Squeak

TwinIonEngines said:
I'm having a really hard time seeing how that would make a playable FPS camera/aim mechanic. A click-drag is essentially a toggle on the pointer, which would interrupt aiming and firing during those moments when it is dragging the camera view. I can see how that might work well as a camera control for a third-person game, where pointing/aiming isn't the primary action mechanic.
What are you doing when lifting a mouse if not toggling the pointer on an off? If you don't want to toggle so much, you can just set the sensitivity so high that you can do up to a 360 turn with a whip of the wiimote.

But actually you are not toggling tracking off, as with a mouse when you lift it. It's a virtual "toggle". The wiimote still tracks. That means that you could have a cursor that moves like the pointer hand when "toggle view off" is on.

ZealousD said:
Every single one of your complaints can also be leveled at the mouse/keyboard setup.

No springs, no feedback, and more movement than is used in an analog stick.

Are you also one of those people that prefers dual-analog to the M/KB setup?

You fail to understand the difference between absolute and relative control.
With a spring loaded stick (at least one made by a sane person) you push the stick in a given direction, and hold it and the cursor or view moves continuously with a certain speed as long as you hold it (the wiimote lacks the tactile feedback of a spring pressing back, so you have to rely on your vision to judge how much "force" you are putting on the stick).
With absolute control as with a mouse, trackpad, touchscreen or paddle, the view/cursor only moves as long as you move your controller.

blu said:
if you imply the inertia factor in the globe rotation, that does not quite apply in the camera control case, unless you introduce a 'view drag' factor - i.e. grabbing & holding your view, accelerating its roation until you let off it. anyhow, i'm not sure at all that'd have worked well in practice. or at least not as well as metroid's camera does. btw, what did elebits do in this respec, i can't quite remember, though i do remembr the camera control felt quite good there.
Actually I think it would be better to have a "let go of view button" instead of a "grab" button so you won't have to hold a button down all the time. But that's a mere technicality and you shouldn't let that confuse you.

Inertia could be a nice idea, although it's probably best to turn it off per default for beginners.

The Elebits camera works but only because it's a quite slowpaced game, and the sensitivity is set quite high and almost everything you have to aim at is at a horizontal plane. That doesn't mean it wouldn't have worked better with the Globe control method though.
Most underrated game on the Wii BTW.

This may seem like a stupid question, but what does progressive scan actually do? Since my TV at home doesn't support it, I've never really thought about it. How does progressively scanning a picture make it better than interlaced?

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
viciouskillersquirrel said:
This may seem like a stupid question, but what does progressive scan actually do? Since my TV at home doesn't support it, I've never really thought about it. How does progressively scanning a picture make it better than interlaced?
Interlacingani2.gif

DKnight said:
That's from Wikipedia, right? I just looked at the article. I'd heard of refresh schemes that do this before in order to save on bandwidth (during some research I did for my thesis), but I didn't know that it was called interlacing. Progressive scan though, was obvious simply from the name.

Squeak

That's from Wikipedia, right? I just looked at the article. I'd heard of refresh schemes that do this before in order to save on bandwidth (during some research I did for my thesis), but I didn't know that it was called interlacing. Progressive scan though, was obvious simply from the name.
You are doing a thesis on something touching this and you don't know what interlacing is?! I smell BS.

Squeak said:
You are doing a thesis on something touching this and you don't know what interlacing is?! I smell BS.
I did a thesis on the effectiveness of computer simulations in training engineers and technicians. Screen refresh schemes were mentioned briefly in the opening chapter of one of the OpenGL textbooks I was using. My results were inconclusive though. It would have taken a few years to gather all the necessary data.

Squeak

I did a thesis on the effectiveness of computer simulations in training engineers and technicians. Screen refresh schemes were mentioned briefly in the opening chapter of one of the OpenGL textbooks I was using. My results were inconclusive though. It would have taken a few years to gather all the necessary data.
Actually there are tonnes of papers on that, but I can't be bothered looking for them and doing the job you should have done now.
There is a curve describing the longterm fatigue and lack of concentration as a result of progressively lower refresh rates.

Squeak said:
Actually there are tonnes of papers on that, but I can't be bothered looking for them and doing the job you should have done now.
There is a curve describing the longterm fatigue and lack of concentration resulting in progressively lower refresh rates.
Oh, believe me, I did all the proper research. I had my nose buried in journals for a few months before I even started coding. I think though, that you don't understand what I was trying to accomplish.

This was an engineering thesis, so my aim was to write a computer simulation and gather data on its effect in training undergrad engineers in the use of a piece of equipment (and naturally, their understanding of what was going on), then make recommendations based on these results RE: the further use of computer simulations in an engineering education environment. To get conclusive results, I'd have needed a few semesters' worth of results data - a luxury I didn't have. From my research, I knew what to expect and what sort of features my simulation needed, but this didn't prove my initial hypothesis.

Anyway, the point is that my thesis never actually touched on refresh schemes. I just happen to have read something about it in the course of my research and found it interesting at the time, but ultimately irrelevant.

flarkminator said:
Hey what's going on in...oh dear god.

By the way, if the title said "publicly" then it would mean flayed in public. However, it says "pubically" which means
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Squeak said:
You fail to understand the difference between absolute and relative control.
With a spring loaded stick (at least one made by a sane person) you push the stick in a given direction, and hold it and the cursor or view moves continuously with a certain speed as long as you hold it (the wiimote lacks the tactile feedback of a spring pressing back, so you have to rely on your vision to judge how much "force" you are putting on the stick).
With absolute control as with a mouse, trackpad, touchscreen or paddle, the view/cursor only moves as long as you move your controller.

Huh? You're making a pretty big jump in conclusions sir. I understand exactly what you're saying. Yes, the Wiimote lacks the tactile feedback of a spring pressing back, and so does a mouse.

Yeah, you have to use your eyes when using the Wii remote. But is that really a problem? You use your eyes to judge where you're aiming on a dual-analog pad as well.

The problem with dual-analog is that our brains instinctively thing of sticks in terms of 8 directions, like those on a compass. That makes aiming more difficult since we don't perfectly manipulate the stick where it needs to be while aiming. However, with a mouse or pointer, we don't have that instinctive limitation and thus aiming is far more fluid as a result. Not to mention that the turning speed is easier to manipulate with them. That's why you can easily tell if a video is done with dual-analog or if it's done with a mouse or wii-remote, because aiming is more fluid and quick.

Also, the fact that the camera moves constantly shouldn't be a problem when you're playing on the Wii. I know that instinctively, when I'm playing my FPS games, I'm always looking around and aiming. The fact that keeping the camera static is difficult isn't a problem because I can't think of a situation where keeping the camera static is necessary.

I really recommend that you play an FPS on the Wii that isn't MP3. Something like Call of Duty 3 or Medal of Honor Heroes 2. MP3 is a horrible example because many intrinsic features of the Prime games (lock-on, bullet speed and power, movement speed) were built around the single-analog setup of the previous Prime games. Once you realize how easy it is to get head-shots in other Wii FPS games I think you'll come around.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Switch between Japanese and Engli... Oh, so no... :| Go kick Didier for me, please.

After asking about it, the code basses for both SKU's are completely separate so they aren't able to merge them into one release like they we did for Daxter and GoW.

Sorry.

CTLance

This thread is now 300% more awesome with the new title.
Gonna have to buy Okamii just because of that. Sorry Amirox. :(

Minsc

Gold Member
bmf said:
Uhm. pubically. not publically. Unless it means something about my short and curlies....

Title makes good sense to me.
yes, that was intentional.

16:9 and progressive scan is a good start. I'm still hoping they are holding back more.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'm going to be honest with everyone. I have never played Okami. Mostly because my PS2 broke down right before the game came out. So I'm interested in this release

From left to right:
PlayStation 2 NTSC-J
PlayStation 2 NTSC-U/PAL
Wii NTSC-U

j9btqt.jpg

I really can't decide which one's the best. They're all nice.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
grandjedi6 said:
I'm going to be honest with everyone. I have never played Okami. Mostly because my PS2 broke down right before the game came out. So I'm interested in this release

i recently picked it up for ps2 - it was overpriced, but its a great game. the music is amazing - shinshuu plains for the win! i'd go so far to say it's overtaken the 'sailing' music from wind waker in terms of my epic-setting-out-on-adventure list :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom