• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OKAMI for Wii confirmed 16:9 or flark is publically flayed alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
the new boxart is fucking dope. i loved the old one too. i don't even mind the pink hearts, because i'm comfortable with my sexuality.

Innotech

Banned
yeah I just looked at my Ps2 copy boxart. much less interesting. This is very colorful, like the Dewey/NiGHTS covers. I like this. With so much emphasis on graphics and appearance these days, youd think developers would throw color EVERYWHERE in games and such but they seem content just using 30 shades of earthtone. Even on the boxart it seems.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Death_Born said:
Are you fucking kidding me? BLACK BARS!?! With the length of time this took, the least they could do was widescreen it. I have a widescreen TV, and now I have to look at these ugly black bars for the whole game!

There is still some hope. As a poster above us has rightly said: there are black bars present on the PS2 version's screens in the Capcom store as well.

For some perspective, PS2 on the left, Wii on the right:

PS2_OK_screenShotLarge6.jpg
Wii_Okami_screenShotLarge1.jpg

I'm not sure if the black bars being thicker on the Wii version is a bad sign, though.

Edit: on second look, I can see that the black bars present in the PS2 version are also present on the Wii version (look closely, they are two different shades of black in the Wii shot). I think this is probably pretty much confirmed to be 4:3 with black bars to make it 16:9, unfortunately.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
Death_Born said:
BTW, the new boxart fails. Marketing to girls ftw? I mean, how is a non-gamer going to take those hearts seriously?

Not counting game store employees, the only two Okami fans I've spoken to IRL are girls. Maybe the boxart will work...

The PS2 boxart just looks like some crazy wierdass Japanese imagery.

Okami Wii will catch girls eyes with the colors and flowers and then make them go "Ooohhh that wolf!" Maybe then they'll take a look at the back.

Let's see what happens...

Amir0x

Banned
the Okami boxart will catch the eyes of the three remaining gamers who were actually ever interested in it who, by a twist of fate, didn't also have a PS2 (because they were dumb).

No girl is going to go see it and go "wow i must buy it", and no casual who before wasn't interested is going to see this boxart and go "this seems curious!"

It's just as awesome as the original boxart... and that one didn't do shit either. But it's a boxart, and it looks great so that's all that matters!

Firestorm

what the fucking fuck at "16:9". This better be an RE4 situation. Well, RE4 situation without the "looks like complete and utter unplayable shit on an HDTV" part.

Arthas

Banned
Firestorm said:
what the fucking fuck at "16:9". This better be an RE4 situation. Well, RE4 situation without the "looks like complete and utter unplayable shit on an HDTV" part.

Well on my lcd HDTV (42inch) resident evil 4 looks dope. Your scaler sucks balls.

As for lack of true 16:9...I have no idea why they do this every time. Stupid amateur jerks with their lack of porting skill.

Amir0x

Banned
i think there's a pretty good argument to be made about why yet another low-effort Wii port shouldn't sell well

but that aside, if they wanted it to sell it big they should have photoshopped an image a photorealistic wolf on the cover and rebranded the name entirely. Shoppers all "What the fuck is an Okami? Is that like Sushi? I had Sushi once, it was gross!" Then they pass it by to get PETZ

Arthas

Banned
So when this ends up selling as well as resident evil 4 wii, what will everybody here say? It was a one off fluke?

Amir0x

Banned
Arthas said:
So when this ends up selling as well as resident evil 4 wii, what will everybody here say? It was a one off fluke?

hahaha

i will ban myself from the universe if that happens

Christine

The 16:9 approach might not please everyone, but I consider it valid. It's the OAR, after all - maybe RAD decided that it was better to faithfully replicate the source material than to cut cinema scenes and set piece FOVs to a new aspect ratio and risk doing it poorly.

I'm not intending allusions of quality, but Gone With the Wind has never been cut to 16:9 either.

Squeak

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm confused by what you mean about that part. Can you please explain? Thanks.
In MP:C you are merely using the pointer as a poor substitute for an analog stick (no spring = no tactile feedback, and way to much movement to do the same motion as with a proper analog). The only tiny advantage being a small reticle of direct aim in the middle of the screen. But that doesn't even work because you have to compensate for the movement when aiming anyway.
All of that compromising the main controls of the game.
The MP:C controls is an incredibly stupid stupid design error that simply shouldn't have gone through all the phases of the development, and also a huge missed opportunity to show everyone else how it should be done.
IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE WEATHER CHANNEL FFS!!! That's how to do it, and it works wonderfully.

Firestorm

Squeak said:
In MP:C you are merely using the pointer as a poor substitute for an analog stick (no spring = no tactile feedback, and way to much movement to do the same motion as with a proper analog). The only tiny advantage being a small reticle of direct aim in the middle of the screen. But that doesn't even work because you have to compensate for the movement when aiming anyway.
All of that compromising the main controls of the game.
The MP:C controls is an incredibly stupid stupid design error that simply shouldn't have gone through all the phases of the development, and also a huge missed opportunity to show everyone else how it should be done.
IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE WEATHER CHANNEL FFS!!! That's how to do it, and it works wonderfully.

I'm sorry, but Metroid Prime 3's control was much better than dual analog.

Amir0x

Banned
I actually agree with Firestorm, although it wasn't better in ALL areas - they needed to speed up certain movements.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Arthas said:
Actually 4 people.
make that five. i have some new funds, because my summer job finally sent my final $260 paycheck (after some calls to their corporate), so now i have the means to get at least one new game. i decided to get a DS game and a Wii game, and i'm starting to lean toward this game over PES '08 on the Wii. damn its a hard choice though...

Uhhhhh, they're Sakura Blossoms not hearts...

TwinIonEngines said:
The 16:9 approach might not please everyone, but I consider it valid. It's the OAR, after all - maybe RAD decided that it was better to faithfully replicate the source material than to cut cinema scenes and set piece FOVs to a new aspect ratio and risk doing it poorly.

I'm not intending allusions of quality, but Gone With the Wind has never been cut to 16:9 either.
If I had to take a guess I'd imagine it'd mess up the sumie style, since stretched lines would be apparent... it's possible we're just seeing one mode and there's a stretched mode available as well.

Tenbatsu

doomed1 said:
make that five. i have some new funds, because my summer job finally sent my final $260 paycheck (after some calls to their corporate), so now i have the means to get at least one new game. i decided to get a DS game and a Wii game, and i'm starting to lean toward this game over PES '08 on the Wii. damn its a hard choice though...

Get both man (skip DS), PES 08 for Wii is hot shit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Make it six.

I missed it when it came out for various reasons, and a readily available PS2 copy is difficult to find at my place of work.

Plus you know that the Wii version of the game is going to do well in the aftermarket in about 10 years or so. The PS2 version will be hard to find, and the Wii version will be even harder!

Anyway, I betcha the reason true 16:9 isn't supported is because of the drawing mechanics. When you change the ratio, you have to reprogram it to accomidate. Atlus talked about this when discussing the lack of support for Trauma Center: Second Opinion. New Blood had 16:9, but it was actually a forced 16:9, and it was letterboxed on SDTV's.

Lobster

Banned
Amir0x said:
i think there's a pretty good argument to be made about why yet another low-effort Wii port shouldn't sell well

Theres plenty of arguments. The only argument to be made about why it should sell is that its OKAMI and it deserves to sell.

ZealousD said:
Make it six.

I missed it when it came out for various reasons, and a readily available PS2 copy is difficult to find at my place of work.

Plus you know that the Wii version of the game is going to do well in the aftermarket in about 10 years or so. The PS2 version will be hard to find, and the Wii version will be even harder!

Anyway, I betcha the reason true 16:9 isn't supported is because of the drawing mechanics. When you change the ratio, you have to reprogram it to accomidate. The Trauma Center developers mentioned this about Second Opinion. New Blood had 16:9, but it was actually a forced 16:9, and it was letterboxed on SDTV's.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E991PC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

zoukka

Gully State said:
So if Okami sells well...is Capcom going to give wii owners RE5?

If so, I won't be buying it.

But seriously if you haven't already played it, go get it. It's the best Zelda-clone eveer.

Hype is dead though. And it won't sell shit.

Polari

Interview from last Nintendo Power:

We've heard that Okami won't have any new content over the PS2 version. Is that still the case? What about progressive scan and widescreen support?
We haven't ruled anything out at this point, but there's a few reasons at this point. First, it's already a 40-to-60 hour game and we want a game that the majority of people will enjoy, and finish. Secondly, games of this caliber already have a fine balance of features and gameplay elements that makes them fun. We have to be careful before deciding to mess with that, especially since we're not the original developers of the game. Having said that, things like progressive scan and widescreen support are at the top of our list in terms of what we'd like to add to the Wii version.

So calm down people. You'll get a definitive answer soon enough.

morningbus said:

I guess we knew they weren't removing things, but those separate screens for animal feeding, which needed to load, and then made the game reload the scene you had been in, were so stupid. They could have removed that without hurting the game at all.

Haunted

What the fuck are those "screenshots" supposed to be? Were these taken for the DS web browser or what? Proper ones, please.

Also, I'm really disappointed they didn't call it Okamii on the cover. :(

Amir0x said:
so, what? that makes 1 person buying this?
oh snap

AniHawk

leroy hacker said:
I guess we knew they weren't removing things, but those separate screens for animal feeding, which needed to load, and then made the game reload the scene you had been in, were so stupid. They could have removed that without hurting the game at all.

I forgot about all the fucking load times.

Argh, all the bad memories are mixing in with the good and now I'm replaying Okami in my head again. GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHARLES.

Amir0x said:
the Okami boxart will catch the eyes of the three remaining gamers who were actually ever interested in it who, by a twist of fate, didn't also have a PS2 (because they were dumb).
Dammit!

I was not dumb! My PS2 could load no game. And the option I was given was, buy an entirely new system, or send mine to Sony for $149 dollar repairs. I bitched. I called back and talked nice. Nothing.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a new system, or pay as much as a new system to have the freaking thing repaired.

I don't double dip on consoles. It either works the first time or "Fuck you!"

...Sorry for ranting like that. I'll get it on the Wii because for some reason or another disk drives confused Sony in the PS2-age. And their customer service was beyond crap.

edit: Does that make seven that are getting it?

I am. My PS2 was long dead when Okami came out... and I don't think I've ever forgiven Sony for it.

wsippel

Banned
Those screens don't show the key features of the Wii version according to Sven. Whatever that's supposed to mean...

There's a whole legion of Nintendo fans who didn't get the PS2 one but would have if it had come out on GameCube, the Wii version is their ticket to Okamidom.

I don't care what version people play as long as they play one of them! Isn't that the whole idea?

I honestly can't understand why this is anything but a great thing... a failed game that deserved more gets another chance to sell.

And while we're at it, shouldn't we be blaming the PS2 fans for the initial failure to begin with? They're the retards that didn't buy it.

Yet its so popular just to jump on the lolz Nintendo are teh casualz onry!!1 bandwagon and assume it has no chance on Wii, what the fuck man?

I really hope it does well on Wii, not only because it deserves it, but just to make it that much harder for the haters to rag on something for no apparent reason.

Btw, my father, sister and brother are all huge Zelda fans so guess what little game is getting fully recommended for their Wii's?

So thats 8, 9 and 10.

Guess that makes me 11.

Hey look! Its already sold to more Wii owners than the 'smart' PS2 ones managed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom