• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OKAMI for Wii confirmed 16:9 or flark is publically flayed alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine

AniHawk said:
The whole dead-land-blooming-into-life part was the best thing about the game (aside from the dungeons). So beautiful.

That bit never worked properly for me. Stuttered like hell on my nearly-new slim PS2. I may have to buy it again just to see if it will run properly on my Wii.

_Alkaline_ said:
Wait.

How is the Wii version inferior?

It's Amir0x, so probably he's talking about control scheme preferences, esp. regarding free camera control.

Firestorm

Amir0x said:
The size and scope of an Okami game makes it impossible to just churn it out in factory format like Viewtiful Joe games, unless they just completely change the design.

I think it'd definitely benefit from a sequel. As absolutely mindfuckingly amazing it is, there were a few noteworthy flaws that could stand to be fixed. So that said even though the Wii version is getting an inferior version of the PS2 Okami, I hope it sells OK to the hardline Nintendo fantards who crossed their arms at the Sony platform all these years (because they hate gaming) and we get a sequel.

Of course it has a 0.1% chance of selling well, but I suppose that's better than 0%.

Are you just being regular Amir0x or is there something missing from the Wii version that I'm unaware of? 16:9, 480p, less clunky controls for painting... what was added/taken out to make it inferior?

Innotech

Banned
Ill be able to compare them directly to see if ami has truth to his statement or if hes just a meanie head.
I suspect the meaniehead part, but I must be sure.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Okami was one the few games I was constantly spinning the camera around to look at things because it was so nice visually.. I'll miss that in the Wii version a lot, but I'll still end up buying it anyway.

Innotech

Banned
I dont get why people dont think there can be a free look camera. a couple other wii games have been able to make it work so far. Granted its a little more complicated controlwise to do it.

MoxManiac

SO GAF >>> OPINION PLEASE!

I bought the PS2 Okami before the Wii version was announced. I still haven't played it. Should I sell it and wait for the Wii version or stick with the PS2 version! Or is this one of those questions that isn't meant to be answered.

Amir0x

Banned
I would play it because you own it already and can actually ENJOY IT THIS SECOND since you're a GAMER who is about PLAYING GAMES, and then after you're done playing it toss it right the fuck across Alkaline's head. This will have the dual effect of allowing you to have a great time with an amazing game this second (instead of waiting for no reason other than chronic Wii retardation), while probably knocking some sense into Alkaline thus making neoGAF an easier place to read.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
Wii version. The loading times are a pain in the ass on PS2. Nothing has been said about the Wii version, but they should be better.

Firestorm

MoxManiac said:
SO GAF >>> OPINION PLEASE!

I bought the PS2 Okami before the Wii version was announced. I still haven't played it. Should I sell it and wait for the Wii version or stick with the PS2 version! Or is this one of those questions that isn't meant to be answered.

I had the game. Got it for $15 or something, started it, but put it aside since I had a bunch of other games to play and the tutorial was really long. I sold it when I learned the Wii version would have 16:9 and 480p since I hadn't played it in months. Got over $20 from it at EB for a promo.

If you have other games to play in the meantime, might as well sell it and get the superior version.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I would play it right this second. Right now.

So you can get started on the 4 hour intro. But after that, so you can witness its visual majesty and soundtrack that sends other games away crying.

My (definitive, of course) reasons for why you need to play okami NOW

Yeah, it is.

So I bought this game in September of last year and didn't play all the way through it. I started over now and I'm really blown away by how absolutely great it is. I would argue it's the best Zelda of the last ten years, but hey, that's me.

Things I am blown away by:
--Huge mega 5 disk soundtrack that reeks of awesome and amazing. Honestly, this is a great work. When you put this up against other games in the genre, it embarrasses them all. It's not even close. The composition embarrasses Twilight Princess' composition, and the overall sound is miles beyond due to fantastic instrumentation. High quality stuff here. The talking noise is annoying though. It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't so much talking. At least it's not as bad as Super Paper Mario, which has oodles of dialog and no interesting or engaging gameplay inbetween.

--The visuals. Obviously. They look fantastic upscaled to HD on my TV through my PS3. Looks better than anything else from a last gen console in the "HD Era," excepting maybe Wind Waker. It's not just the overall visual style, which is of course impressive, but the small details. The flowers that pop up when Amaterasu runs around, the little clouds of dust that kick up, the petals in the air, the gorgeous effects, etc. I wonder how hardware intensive this game is on the PS2.

--Japanese delight. Sorry to say it, but it's true. It's not overtly "Japanese" in that there isn't any big animu eyes or animu titties. It's more of a mythological, historical, and cultural thing, I guess. I don't feel so dirty and slimy playing as a wolf and bringing foliage back, as opposed to say, touching loli or something.

--Streamlined design. I like how the dungeons aren't nearly as explicit as they are in Zelda. You kind of just move from area to area, solving puzzles and fixing things without explicitly being in the "fire dungeon" or the "water dungeon." Not that there is anything particularly wrong with that approach, but it just really makes things more cohesive overall.

--Fun mechanics that remove inventory management. I love drawing the stuff. I dunno what it is about it, but I really like it. It's fun to draw the vines that connect Amaterasu to things, or to slash through enemies, or make bombs. I don't have to go to my menu ever, unless I really need to heal or change divine instruments. That's pretty rare though. The momentary pauses for the celestial brush are not nearly as annoying or "inventory management"ish as is assigning things to a button.

--Just general charm. I KNOW I'M SO HOMOSEXUAL, BUT WHEN AMMY WAS ON HER BACK BEFORE THE SPIDER BOSS I WAS LIKE "OMG THATS SO CUTE MY BRAIN IS 'BOUT TO EXPLODE WITH DELIGHT." World is fully realized, the characters are totally hilarious and funny, the world doesn't take itself too seriously, etc.

--SIDEQUESTS. ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG there are so fucking many of them!!! And there's LEWT in chests EVERYWHERE! USEFUL lewt!

Areas where it needs work:

--Issun does hold your hand a little too much. He should only be there if you want to ask him shit on your own. That said, it's not too bad. And the fun is in the mechanics! So I don't mind it!

--Fetch quest. Ew.

--More dungeons.

YEAH SO OKAMI FUCKING ROCKS. THANKS FOR NOT BUYING IT, DICKWADS

Kamiya :bow
Inaba :bow

Amir0x

Banned
Man the number of absolute inarguable game haters on neoGAF is astonishing.

"No, don't play that absolutely amazing almost mirror image (and probably superior due to substantive camera controls and superior analog controls) of the Wii version coming out months later so that you can skip the dialogue! It has widescreen too! PLEASE BUY IT AND SUPPORT THE NINTENDO CONSOLE OH GOD IF YOU DON'T NINTENDO WILL WITHHOLD MY CHECKS HOLY SHIT THEY'RE COMI--"

*whipping sound*

"Sell your PS2 version, there's plenty of reason to wait so much time to play one of the best games of last generation."

You guys hate games and love companies, just admit it and stop beating around the cock

Xisiqomelir

Amir0x said:

"No, don't play that absolutely amazing almost mirror image (and probably superior due to substantive camera controls and superior analog controls) of the Wii version

Backpedalling? :lol

Y2Kev

This notion of "superior" is silly, regardless of validity. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the product that Clover put out. Then again, if you've waited two years to experience this game, you probably don't care and/or are crazy!

I've played about an hour or so on PS2 and got bored. I may buy it on Wii just cos it's easier to play than system than PS2, but I need assurances the game gets better as it goes along.

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kev said:
This notion of "superior" is silly, regardless of validity. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the product that Clover put out. Then again, if you've waited two years to experience this game, you probably don't care and/or are crazy!

saddy.gif

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I bought the game day one on the PS2, put about 30 hours into it, and finally dropped it due to extreme disinterest. It was by far the best Zeld-a-like on the PS2, but compared to other Zeldas...? Nah.

I still don't know what to think about this port. At least, I hope it's a competent one, and finds it's way to some measure of success. Not a lot of games game this kind of second chance, so soon (relatively speaking) after their first.

Edit - Hell, if it's improved enough, and cheap enough, I might even double-dip. Even when it first came out I was saying how a DS version would be neat, since stylus-driven painting would just be an awesome fit, and cell-shaded 3D can look pretty damn nice on the handheld. So I was kind of happy to imagine up a potential spin-off. And while most of us were also imagining a Wii version, I don't think any of us then really expected one to ever materialize. And no doubt, the painting can only get better. Because it really did feel like shit on the PS2.

Amir0x

Banned
how did painting feel like shit? It was the most simple, intuitive method of drawing with an analog stick ever. I could pull off any fucking symbol they threw out in seconds, and so could almost anybody who touched the game, and what the hell else measure of good controls is there?

Re-Re-Revisionist History. Calling bullshit on you Mejilan, particularly with the crap you like.

Firestorm

Amir0x said:

"No, don't play that absolutely amazing almost mirror image (and probably superior due to substantive camera controls and superior analog controls) of the Wii version coming out months later so that you can skip the dialogue! It has widescreen too! PLEASE BUY IT AND SUPPORT THE NINTENDO CONSOLE OH GOD IF YOU DON'T NINTENDO WILL WITHHOLD MY CHECKS HOLY SHIT THEY'RE COMI--"

*whipping sound*

"Sell your PS2 version, there's plenty of reason to wait so much time to play one of the best games of last generation."

You guys hate games and love companies, just admit it and stop beating around the cock

It's apparently coming out within a month or two and will feature better controls (unless they add waggle to non-painting parts), progressive scan + 16:9 for those of us with HDTVs, and will matter more now for sales-age than buying the PS2 version would. The last point hardly matters, but hey, maybe we'll get a sequel if enough people buy the Wii version. Stop crying and trolling.

Mejilan

Oh it worked just fine. I had no issues with the functionality of the painting. But it wasn't fun at all. It was slow, sluggish, tedious, and felt tacked on.

In particular, I hated how the interaction with the backgrounds felt so faked. Like the slash motion. Slash across the screen, and watch all of the trees in the near foreground, the far background, and everything in between get affected. It was so completely phony. Then again, I don't expect that aspect of the painting to change at all. I get it. Painting on a 2D canvas, and all that. I just don't think it worked particularly well when you're playing in a 3D environment. And then shit like painting bridges and seas and shit. Just dropping black blots haphazardly until something completely unrelated (visually speaking) happened. The implementation just felt to half-assed.

But at least it should be easier and faster to pull off. And hey, possibly more fun as well.

Nothing even remotely revisionist about this. I complained of all this back when I dropped the game. The crappy painting mechanic was, and still is, a relatively minor complaint compared to how I feel about the rest of the game. I only brought it up because, in light of the comments about the lack of any new content, painting potentially stands to improve the most with version of the game. Potentially.

Edit - And the "crap" I like has nothing to do with this discussion, so shove off about that nonsense. This is about Okami. And I was there day 1 the first time around, and gave it MORE than its fair share of chances. 30 fucking hours worth.

Oh, the widescreen and 480p graphics will be nice, I'm sure, but I'm not expecting any miracles from this port, graphically speaking. And to be honest, the game looked pretty damn fine, for the most part. The execution was shaky at times, but the game oozes the best kind of style, visually speaking.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not crying at all, I'm merely stating the indisputable fact that you guys hate games and are sitting here actively discouraging someone to play one of the best games of last generation in favor of waiting two months for skippable dialogue and incremental control changes.

Not that I should be surprised or anything, this whole philosophy of yours precludes enjoying games.

Mejilan said:
It was slow, sluggish, tedious, and felt tacked on.

On what planet? Fucking bullshitville? It was supremely fast, and the only thing that slowed it down was going to the paint screen - which I imagine will still be there in the Wii version. Was your dualshock broke, and did it take any more than two seconds to draw any symbol? Do you have ADHD? And then ALL THE REST of your criticisms remain in the Wii version. Mejilan bullshitting confirmed.

Firestorm

If he has already waited over a year to play it, has other games to play and won't lose sleep over not playing the game RIGHT NOW, then he might as well play his other games and enjoy them while waiting for better controls and the ability to have the picture fill up his entire TV screen.

Also, by skippable dialog do people mean that you just skip it all or is there an option to make all the text appear at once? I forgot if Okami had that or not. I'm a fairly fast reader and waiting for text really kills some games for me.

Amir0x

Banned
seriously i imagine now that the reason disenfranchised Nintendo fans hated gaming these past two generations is because secretly they were all atrocious at videogames and they couldn't grasp simple fucking hand eye coordination so now they're all 'oh hey this is so intuitive yeah i couldn't play those SLOW TEDIOUS GAMES'

SomeoneElse: 'but it only took one second to do this'

'THAT'S ONE SECOND TOO LONG. IT TAKES NEGATIVE TWO SECONDS IN THE WII VERSION'

Mejilan

No, because much like with first person shooter aiming, an analog control stick will fucking NEVER intuitively simulate painting. Kind of like how Mario Paint was made quite a bit better with that shitty little mouse it came with. Or "gimmicks" like those included with Castlevania Dawn of Souls and (especially) Kirby Canvas Curse feel better than mechanically similar implementations in Okami. IMHO, of course.

For the record, I couldn't really imagine it being any better on the PS2.

Much like I can't imagine a first person shooter controlling better than say, Resistance, on the PS3 (a game I love, by the way, despite hating dual analog first person shooter controls).

I think you're overblowing my comment a tad, as you're more than prone to do in your little meltdowns. So I'll reiterate. Much like during all of those useless little "what if scenario" games that tended to crop up in Okami discussions 2 years ago, all I'm saying is that the painting should only get better in the Wii port. And if the price is right, that MIGHT be enough to justify double-dipping, despite the fact that the original left me cold, from a gameplay standpoint.

There's really no need to selectively quote and nitpick my own nitpicks. I'm not trying to deter anyone from (or convince anyone of) anything here. Hell, just the opposite. I've gone into detail about only one of my gripes about Okami (and, as mentioned, a relatively minor one in the grand scheme of things) because with what we know now about this port, it's the one gripe of mine that stands the best chance of being rectified, at least partially.

And if you really want to learn about the rest of my opinion about Okami, feel free to dig up those 2 year old threads, because I've said my piece there. And I'm pretty sure you know that.

Amir0x

Banned
oh so basically you have no real reason, only some vague indefinable bullshit about intuitiveness, even though the PS2 version was insanely fast, efficient and intuitive. I'm surprised you didn't drop the IMMERSION factor too. I'm sure that'll fit into the rest of these imagined scenarios too.

Shit, in all this, the only actual thing Okami NEEDS to improve on is loading. No one addressed this. If it improves loading, hey that's cool. First timer's who never had a PS2 (because they were dumb) should definitely pick it up for Wii, in that case.

Haunted

Amir0x said:
First timer's who never had a PS2 should definitely pick it up for Wii.
agreed. It's just a great opportunity for the people who didn't have the chance to play the game until now.

Y2Kev

Haunted One said:
agreed. It's just a great opportunity for the people who didn't have the chance to play the game until now...

...because they were stupid.

Exceptions will be made for people who recently had arms grafted on after horrific automobile accidents.

Haha, this is ridiculous. People are arguing for or against a port we've seen nothing of? You don't know what's been improved or worse so you're fighting over hypotheticals. Awesome.

botticus

Y2Kev said:
...because they were stupid.

Exceptions will be made for people who recently had arms grafted on after horrific automobile accidents.
Or they were waiting for it to get cheaper and since that never happened, and a Wii version was announced, they decided they'd buy it for their new console rather than their old one.

I actually bought Okami at launch, but since the Wii was released what, a month later? I took it back.

Innotech

Banned
Amir0x said:

*whipping sound*

I dont think thats true. Im buying the Wii version second. I already played a substantial part of the Ps2 game, and while I like it, I also said even back then that I wanted to try it with Wii controls. and now I have my wish.

and of note, I really didnt like the clumsiness of the painting system either.
I thought it was a brilliant idea though.

Y2Kev

botticus said:
Or they were waiting for it to get cheaper and since that never happened, and a Wii version was announced, they decided they'd buy it for their new console rather than their old one.

It was released at 39.99! Bow your head in shame.

I don't get it. You bought Okami in September but then brought it back in November because of the possibility of a Wii port? Really?

botticus

Y2Kev said:
It was released at 39.99! Bow your head in shame.

I don't get it. You bought Okami in September but then brought it back in November because of the possibility of a Wii port? Really?
Back then I had 50 games waiting to be played, I didn't pay more than $20 for anything. If this wasn't coming out in March, or was less than $40, I'd buy it immediately, now I have to think about it.

Nah, edited my post. I think I preordered it at the same time I preordered Zelda, so I thought it was released around the same time. Bought it, then decided I had too much stuff sitting around in addition to the Wii launching soon, so took it back. For a game that supposedly bombed horribly, that shit didn't get clearanced nearly fast enough.

Innotech

Banned
also, Okami ,while a fantastic game, was far from a definitive "must-have" type of game. It was artistically and thematically very niche.

Amir0x said:
the PS2 version was insanely fast, efficient and intuitive.
Actually, I have to agree with Mejilan here. I finished Okami and after having put over 90 hours into the game, I have to say that the drawing mechanic wasn't fast, efficient or intuitive. Efficient and intuitive were problems with the symbol recognition system though, but the speed issue was one that could potentially be fixed by a port.

I remember that during the boss fight against
the nine-tailed fox, you had to line yourself up just right and very quickly draw symbols, but the fox would counter with symbols of its own. This would've been awesome were it not for the fact that fox's brush moved a hell of a lot faster than yours could. As it was, it was slow, clunky and frustrating.
The "speed limit" on the analog stick made that fight a lot less fun than it should have been.

Battles in Okami were fun because you were trying to kill enemies as quickly as possible (for mad lewtz and demon fangs), but there's a reason I never harvested fangs from monsters whose final bloom required more than just a slash or a circle - it broke up the pacing and made the battles seem longer than they were.

If they fix up the framerate issues and if the brush controls are quick enough, I may consider double-dipping. My sale wouldn't contribute to "sending a message to Capcom" though, since I have a backlog to clear before I can justify buying a Wii.

Mirimar

You could speed up the brush yourself by holding X along with square or triangle, and even then it wasn't even necessary. I never used it much except for the QTE slashes or timed events.

Mirimar said:
You could speed up the brush yourself by holding X along with square or triangle, and even then it wasn't even necessary. I never used it much except for the QTE slashes or timed events.
That, unfortunately, was something I'd always forget in the heat of battle. I think it was only mentioned in one tutorial and the beginning of the game didn't have much call for it
until that AWESOME fight with the Spider Queen.
So, I can't say I ever used it.

Would still have been better if you could point though.

Mind you, using the pointer functionality of the Wiimote would mean nothing if they don't also fix up the symbol recognition system.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
from somebody who has put ~20 hours into the game:

frankly, i liked okami overall better than twilight, and in contrast to the latter i will finish okami one of these days, that is unless it pulls a 'twilight' on me and pisses me off to a point of complete demotivation.

the best thing okami had to offer to me (aside from the flooring visuals) was the fact that it made me play a wolf in a, well, wolf-ish way. twilight princess really pales in comparison in this aspect, where you're a wolf as part of some grand 'deus ex machina' scheme. ok, midna riding you does bring some meaning to it.

i guess i just don't feel motivated in the average zelda game (both of them i've played). whereas in okami running around just feels natural - you're not on a fetchquest/chores, you're just being you - a freakin canine with a divinity complex. and best of all is, the world around you responds to your presence; i can run over and over through some place just to see it flourish under my feet, or feed some critter again and again just to enjoy the scene. there's this cohesive sandbox-ish aspect to okami that makes the genre (overblown adventure) more palatable to me, in comparison to how i find the zeldas (i.e. a string of mini & maxi quests, a large deal of which are plain chores). heck, even the tacked-on-controls celestial brush contributes nicely to okami's sense of a cohesive adventure. and beats the heck out of zelda's grass cutting for rupees.

ps: buying this game again. the wii port can be only better than the original.

Oh please, at least wait till it comes out and people have actually played it to start blaming waggle for ruining your life.

If I had the PS2 version right now I wouldn't play it either, I'd wait for some feedback on what will probably offer faster loading times and the probable(?) crisper graphics (widescreen ftw) on the Wii version.

You've waited this long already what is another month gonna hurt?

The fact that the developers keep saying they want it as close to the original as possible over and over is a pretty good indication that it may turn out to be as close to the original as possible... wouldn't that be unexpected!!!

I can't understand ANY hostility towards a 2nd chance for a great game that bombed first time round. :\ We should be encouraging people to grab the Wii version as thats gonna make Capcom take more notice than picking up a second hand copy missing its cover for $5.99 will.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Amir0x said:
First timer's who never had a PS2 (because they were dumb) should definitely pick it up for Wii, in that case.

What if you never had a PS2 due to a latent hatred of all things Sony? Just curious...

Tenbatsu

DavidDayton said:
What if you never had a PS2 due to a latent hatred of all things Sony? Just curious...

Yes, theres one guy I know cause Sony kill the Dreamcast, so he never owns a single PS console.

blu said:
you're not on a fetchquest/chores

LOL.

I bought Okami on day one expecting to love it and played through the whole thing, so don't think I'm coming at this with some bias.

But LOL.

The moon cave was probably the dumbest, and most momentum killing fetch quest I've ever seen in an action adventure game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom