• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OKAMI for Wii confirmed 16:9 or flark is publically flayed alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammy

Banned
lyre said:
Phthisis: Don't act surprised if the game bombs again.

After all, RE4 Wii only sold a fraction of how much the original GC version sold.

Yeah, but RE4: Wii Edition gave Capcom a ton of profits and far outsold what they expected.

Unfortunately, Okami is niche, and without advertising, how are people supposed to know about it? This game didn't even sell on PS2 and people are expecting it to outperform that on Wii?

This game deserves advertising, if not for Capcom's sake, then to shut up certain GAFers and PS3tards. :lol

Snaku

Banned
Phthisis said:
You know about it. Are you going to buy it?

Yes, since I never played the PS2 version. The dissolving of Clover depressed me to the point that I didn't want to look at the game. :lol

I rented this back for PS2, but it was in the midst of a whole bunch of other games and I didn't really give it a fair shake.

The graphics did blow me the **** away though. It almost made me upset that last generation was ending.

I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out.

legend166

I guess PS2 owners deserve nothing but shovelware too, since they didn't buy it.

That's a stupid way of thinking. Even if every single person on GAF bought the game, it would still bomb. You need to market things.

AniHawk

underfooter said:
The graphics did blow me the **** away though. It almost made me upset that last generation was ending.

The whole dead-land-blooming-into-life part was the best thing about the game (aside from the dungeons). So beautiful.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I bought it for the PS2, but I'm definitely going to buy it again on the Wii. Okami was a superb game, one of the best of the last generation. Okami coming to Wii is definitely something I am going to support.

traveler

Not Wario
I'll buy it if it's cheap and is significantly better than the PS2 version, both content wise and control wise. Otherwise, I'll have to pass.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Phthisis said:
And don't blame Capcom. It's YOUR responsibility to buy it, and YOU decide if it rises or falls.

i think you grossly overestimate gaf's purchasing power.

Innotech

Banned
Phthisis said:
If this game crashes and burns, Wii owners deserve nothing but shovelware for the rest of the generation. Make this game succeed; it deserves far better than what it did on the PS2.

And don't blame Capcom. It's YOUR responsibility to buy it, and YOU decide if it rises or falls.
actually, maybe Sony should be punished with lack of third party support for failing Capcom and Okami. ONly fair, right?

and damn right Im gonna buy it a second time around.

botticus

Phthisis said:
You know about it. Are you going to buy it?
Not if they release it for $40 I won't, at least not right away. I didn't get around to spending that much for it on PS2, why would I pay that much 2 years later?

Though if it gets pushed back past March, it'll be a more likely buy. Q2 would be a much better time for me.

birdchili

this game did such a fine job emphasizing the strengths of the ps2 and minimizing the weaknesses. i've got my share of gripes with it (notably pacing/length and some gesture recognition issues), but anyone who hasn't tried it yet should do so if they've got an adventure-loving bone in their body - it does a lot right, and the tone/aesthetic is fantastic.

blu

JDSN said:
I think he is overestimating the selling power of this game.

come on now, it's quite possible that ready at dawn have thrown in a bald space marine or two, a pair of boobs and voice-chat online deathmatch. also, a cooking minigame for the wife.

Phthisis said:
If this game crashes and burns, Wii owners deserve nothing but shovelware for the rest of the generation. Make this game succeed; it deserves far better than what it did on the PS2.

This is such stupid bullshit. It is not the fans responsibility to sell a game. It's the publisher's. If the publisher can't be half assed to give it a marketing push and let people know the game is out there, than it isn't going to sell.

Also is this really full price? Didn't Capcom learn from the success of RE4, that a last gen port needs to be budget priced. Specially since this doesn't seem to be getting any kind of special treatment.

blu

U K Narayan said:
It has both of these, albeit the latter is very, very short.

yay. i knew my perseverance with the game would pay off. *dusts off savegame*

DuckRacer

Shin Johnpv said:
Also is this really full price? Didn't Capcom learn from the success of RE4, that a last gen port needs to be budget priced. Specially since this doesn't seem to be getting any kind of special treatment.
Well, according to Amazon and GameStop (which both are usually good indicators towards this type of thing), it's going to be $40. Would that be considered budget price for a Wii game?

ascii42

Duck said:
Well, according to Amazon and GameStop (which both are usually good indicators towards this type of thing), it's going to be $40. Would that be considered budget price for a Wii game?
$40 doesn't count as budget price. Budget price is $30 max.
Oh, and I completely forgot it was Ready at Dawn doing the port.

Duck said:

Like ASCII said budget price would be 29.99.

Did this game come out on PS2 for 49.99 or 39.99. I think Capcom is fucking nuts to release this at 39.99, with no special edition, or extras other than 480P, WS, and Wii Controls.

Specially coming out what 2 weeks or so after Brawl drops.

Skippable text for sure as far as I know.

I haven't gotten a chance to see it in a few months. We were crunching on Gow:coo so they didn't want to bother us... I think it's finishing up though, so hopefully I can get a chance to get my paws on it.

IzumiK

Banned
Nonno Mario said:
I got the ps2 version.
But I i want to play it with the wiimote and a decent graphic (it means 480p + widescreen).

You mean you wanted not to play Okami since the original creators have no say in what goes on with the development, thus it ISN'T Okami.

From Capcom blog:

Is this confirmed now?

We haven't given an official date... We've only ever said "Spring" but March 25th is a possible date for the US on the current schedule. That said, It's a huge game with a lot to test and while RAD has been kicking *** on it I don't want people freaking out if it's not exactly on that date. It's completely playable all the way through now on Wii... optimization and bug fixing is where it's at in the process right now.

Also some other questions,

1. Are you aiming to get this out in europe at about the same time as the US? (we need something to play in the 6 months it will take for SSBB to come over!)

Alas, I think there will be a little lag between the two (not 6 months like SSBB though...). I'm not going to say how much right now... might not be that bad but part of the lag may also be attributed to Nintendo's production times in Europe being a bit longer than in the US currently.

2. Any updates on any updates you have made? (come on 16:9 pro-scan!)

We're going to be putting this in front of the media soon... I won't say yes or no right now but you'll hear something definitively on these issues "soonish".

3. Is the collectors edition happening? (do it Capcom you know you want to)

We hemmed and hawwed about this for a while but in the end we felt the retail channel wasn't being supportive of the concept, so we'll try and come up with something cool for the fans who order through the Capcom store.

4. Will there be a big marketing push for this game? (tv adds, bill boards etc)

TV is not in the cards on our budget... there will be an appropriately sized push for the game.

http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showthread.php?t=25016

some other stuff if you feel like reading.

IzumiK said:
You mean you wanted not to play Okami since the original creators have no say in what goes on with the development, thus it ISN'T Okami.

Yeah. It's in 16:9, so it's better than Okami.

Capcom were right to get rid of Clover when their shit never sold. I think I own every Clover game and even I know that.

IzumiK said:

The founding fathers don't have any say about the United States government, therefore it's ISN'T the United States!

LOLZ AMIRITE!?!11!

Phthisis said:

No. I have the original game on the PS2. If Capcom wants me to buy it again. They better show a good reason why I should.

batbeg

flarkminator said:
Skippable text for sure as far as I know.

I haven't gotten a chance to see it in a few months. We were crunching on Gow:coo so they didn't want to bother us... I think it's finishing up though, so hopefully I can get a chance to get my paws on it.

Please for the love of God suggest an option to change the volume of the gibberish-talk. Please. In the end I resorted to muting the TV when people talked, and it just wasn't very fun.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
yoopoo said:
http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showthread.php?t=25016

Media coming "soonish". Debug copies going out to outlets next week. No special edition. No tv marketing. No new content. Skipable text. Euro lag due to Nintendo production times. Dirrerent box art. Couple reasons for PS2 Okami owners to check out the Wii version. 10 mins to get used to Wiimote drawing.
Hallelujah, looks like I'll be replacing my original, day 1 PS2 copy unless the controls turn out shit and there's no classic controller option.

IzumiK

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Yeah. It's in 16:9, so it's better than Okami.

Capcom were right to get rid of Clover when their shit never sold. I think I own every Clover game and even I know that.

Okami was built around traditional controls. Thus anything else is not.

IzumiK said:
Okami was built around traditional controls. Thus anything else is not.

The controls can still be traditional on Wii. You know fuck all about them, other than assumed use of a pointer for painting. Which seems fine to me.

Okami > Okami, confirmed.

jj984jj said:
Hallelujah, looks like I'll be replacing my original, day 1 PS2 copy unless the controls turn out shit and there's no classic controller option.
Other than being able to paint with a pointer (Which adds... NOTHING?), I don't see how the controls are going to be improved.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the game is going to be exactly the same, but with 16:9 support, and 480p (Which can be accomplished through the Playstation 3).

TheGreatDave said:
Okami > Okami, confirmed.
I would say that, for now -- Okamii = Okami. Since no one really knows what the Wii version is like.

I bought the PS2 original day one, and I thoroughly beat it. I don't feel the need to play it again on the Wii, widescreen be damned. However, I will definitely be persuading two of my "Zelda-fan" friends to pick it up.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
U K Narayan said:
Other than being able to paint with a pointer (Which adds... NOTHING?), I don't see how the controls are going to be improved.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the game is going to be exactly the same, but with 16:9 support, and 480p (Which can be accomplished through the Playstation 3).
Exactly what does all that have to do with simple feature of being able to skip text?

Narag

IzumiK said:
I guess all of you support Capcom's decision of getting rid of Clover huh?

Business is business. God bless the twin bounties of God Hand and Okami they bestowed on us before moving on.

Linkup

IzumiK said:

Your posting history is awesome, keep up the good work.

jj984jj said:
Exactly what does all that have to do with simple feature of being able to skip text?
I was addressing your original statement, not what you were quoting.

You can skip text and cutscenes on the PS2 version, too.

What the hell is Capcom expecting out of this? I mean shit, it's $40 and comes out in the same month as Brawl, and is probably going to get very little marketing. I guess Zack and Wiki got them feeling lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom