• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OKAMI for Wii confirmed 16:9 or flark is publically flayed alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
U K Narayan said:
I was addressing your original statement, not what you were quoting
Addressing what exactly? I said I'll pick it up if the controls don't turn out worse in the Wii version (because they added the only option I asked for when this was announced -- the ability to skip text), I didn't say anything about improving the controls.

Jiggy

yoopoo said:
Ah, excellent. Also one of the few things that should be standardized across gaming.

Media coming "soonish". [...] No tv marketing.
So we're about a month away and have no media yet, and even when the game's out it won't be marketed on TV. Sounds like a recipe for sales disaster. Hopefully Okami can overcome, but... It's not looking so good.

Lobster

Banned
I will buy and play this game that is supposedly better than Zelda.

I will laugh but continue to play and enjoy the game for what it is.

Mefisutoferesu said:
On your 2nd play you can.
This.

jj984jj said:
Addressing what exactly? I said I'll pick it up if the controls don't turn out worse in the Wii version (because they added the only option I asked for when this was announced -- the ability to skip text), I didn't say anything about improving the controls.
I guess I had a misunderstanding. Disregard my statement.

Dragmire

Lobster said:

My experience in a nutshell. It's a very good game, though.

mrpogi23

i have good hope that this port will be good.... because i've worked with the programmers taking care of this game before and i know these guys are huge fan of the game, im sure theyll make it right and fix the issues.

localization does take some time esp the amount of strings of text from japanese to english and umm... from what they told me... clover studio isn't that good at "organizing" their stuff...

mrpogi23 said:
i have good hope that this port will be good.... because i've worked with the programmers taking care of this game before and i know these guys are huge fan of the game, im sure theyll make it right and fix the issues.

localization does take some time esp the amount of strings of text from japanese to english and umm... from what they told me... clover studio isn't that good at "organizing" their stuff...
... what's wrong with the already existing localization?

Firestorm

There was a 4 or 6 page article on Okami featuring its artwork + an interview with the port team in the last issue of Nintendo Power (with Sonic RPG cover). It was interesting and really, really well-designed (layout-wise).

I sold my PS2 version when I heard of the Wii port. Hadn't really started yet and wanted 480p + 16:9.

"media to be shown soon
- paintbrush with the wiimote takes about 10 minutes to get used
- precision of strokes isn't super important, gameplay based around ease of use for quick strokes
- no TV commercials, no special edition, but there will be an "appropriately sized [marketing]push for the game."
- hitting Europe later than America, but not a significant delay
- Dialogue can be skipped
- no new content, but still 40-60 hours of content, and there will be incentive for owners of the PS2 version to check out Wii version
- "is even more beautiful than it was on the PS2."
- "all of you Wii fanatics better have Okami preordered by now because that's the next test (and it's waaay better with Wii controls, than it was on PS2… it's very different, in a good way)."

legend166

woah, I just had this strange epiphany that is going to make me sound incredibly retarded.

Japanese developers write their code in Japanese.

batbeg

legend166 said:
woah, I just had this strange epiphany that is going to make me sound incredibly retarded.

:lol I remember Sakaguchi or someone saying using UE3 was difficult for them as it was all English or something to that effect.

Mefisutoferesu said:
On your 2nd play you can.

:-\ What a pointless thing to do. This better mean skippable text first time around.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wait... $40 for an unenhanced port of an old PS2 game? $20-$30 I could see, but this seems a bit silly.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Mdk7 said:
So basically they're sending it to die...again. :/

I think, for now at least, people are over reacting about this. All that was said was there wont be any TV spots, everything else is going to be done though. I dont exactly think thats being sent to die, unless no TV ad=sent to die.

Polari

Capcom not marketing this heavily or scheduling this sensibly is hardly surprising. The game is a quick and dirty port, done for the sake of scraping an extra few dollars off of a game that didn't do as well as it should have at release. Capcom aren't looking to make it into a franchise, so they're doing the logical thing and putting their marketing dollars behind games that do have the potential to be franchises. All they're banking on with this one is that there are enough Okami and hardcore Wii fans out there for the game to turn a profit. Which there probably are.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Lobster said:

For me, the game gave me the feel I didn't get from Zelda:TP (sense of exploration, belonging and contributing to a world) but not the gameplay (puzzles, dungeons and all).

I think all people who said around here that it was better than Zelda felt that way.

Arthas

Banned
It's first release and subsequent neglect on the ps2 was advertising enough. Now it should sell healthy on the wii.

Next up, Shadow of the colossus, or bust.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Lobster said:

And you know that before playing it? ntardation goes a long way, I see.

Neo C.

IzumiK
Banned
(Today, 05:45 AM)
Reply | Quote

I guess, now you have free time to play some Okamii:
11kcynd.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Lobster said:
RE4:WE did not have any advertising at all

Yes it did, it had TV adverts that appeared fairly frequently on UK television at least.

I feel odd about this game. I enjoyed the original a lot but I don't think I have the power in me to play a new port of the game for another 40 hours. The whole "this is a test to Wii fans" thing sounds like pure blackmail to me which is the only reason why I feel odd about it.

Wasn't Resident Evil: Wii Edition supposed to be the litmus test anyway? Or are they doing this per franchise they have? "Let's release a port of Mega Man 64 on the Wii and if it sells then we'll make more Mega Man games for it! Maybe."

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Polari said:
Capcom not marketing this heavily or scheduling this sensibly is hardly surprising. The game is a quick and dirty port, done for the sake of scraping an extra few dollars off of a game that didn't do as well as it should have at release.

from the POV of capcom - surely. from the point of ready at dawn - i don't think so. everything they've said so far about this project points out they were fascinated by the game and essentially wanted to dissect it. basically one of those 'we wish we made this' moments. also, you can count on RAD that they won't screw up anything.

Capcom aren't looking to make it into a franchise, so they're doing the logical thing and putting their marketing dollars behind games that do have the potential to be franchises. All they're banking on with this one is that there are enough Okami and hardcore Wii fans out there for the game to turn a profit. Which there probably are.

no argument about that.

I'm getting sick and tired of Capcom "testing" Wii gamers.
You want to test us? Put out a good, core game on the Wii, and market (I mean the full shebang. Real commercials on TV, real magazine ads, real internet ads, ACTUALLY GETTING RETAILERS TO BUY IT!) it well.
If it fails to sell then you can stop making games on the Wii, deal?
You pricks.
Seriously, even Z&W, which they couldn't even sell to stores outside of WalMart is doing well. What the hell more do you want? Us to ONLY buy Capcom games on the Wii?

Wraith

I never played the PS2 version. I'll probably pick up the Wii version. Call me what you will, but having a game that fully supports 16x9 and at least 480p became pretty important to me the day I got an HDTV.

birdchili

there were a lot of gamecube-only owners who went on-and-on that this should have been on the cube, so i imagine there's a relatively decent-sized potential audience on wii for it.

i can't imagine it's anything more than a tiny percentage of ps2 okami players that would buy it again though... does sound like there's going to be some added content though...

...and i fully plan to buy software on platforms i own on its merits. i refuse to get anything in order to send a "signal" to a pub - that's ridiculous... release games that i want to play and i'll buy them.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
So we're about a month away and have no media yet, and even when the game's out it won't be marketed on TV. Sounds like a recipe for sales disaster. Hopefully Okami can overcome, but... It's not looking so good.

The problem is that Okami isn't the kind of game that people are going to pick up off the shelf without prior knowledge about it. Okami is a great game, but it needs aggressive marketing if it's going to be anything but sent out to die.

lyre

Okami is a quirky japanese game that also bombed in Japan. What chances does it have overseas? Advertising or not, it's going to bomb, again.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
legend166 said:

I seem to recall hearing that Ready at Dawn initially had trouble with this.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Heres a reply to questions about an Okami sequel:

Christian Svensson-Vice-President of Strategic Planning & Business Development said:
Technically, yes but I think that's an outside chance. We have reasonable but modest expectations for the title. I'll be very disappointed if we can't hit those.

If it happens to "destroy" said expectations, I'd definitely think hard about new content (though admittedly, that's even quite difficult without Kimea's and Inaba's brilliant input on the project).

Good news, even if its not likely to happen.

Scrubking

Sven said:
Given that this is a title that can stand side-by-side with the best Nintendo itself has to offer at a price that will be below Wii-frontline, we're cautiously optimistic that it will find both new and returning fans.

So is that true? Can this game (PS2 port), stand "side-by-side" with Super Mario Galaxy???

Gagaman

Is Okami really a game that would benefit from a sequel, though? I wouldn't want to see another situation like we had with Viewtiful Joe that got run into the ground when the one game was fine enough. Maybe an unrelated game in the style of Okami that is a completely new series of characters in a new setting would be alright though, if that makes any sense.

lyre

Gagaman said:
Is Okami really a game that would benefit from a sequel, though? I wouldn't want to see another situation like we had with Viewtiful Joe that got run into the ground when the one game was fine enough. Maybe an unrelated game in the style of Okami that is a completely new series of characters in a new setting would be alright though, if that makes any sense.
This is Capcom we're talking about. If they can milk a rock, they sure as hell will do their damnedest to get milk, and possibly blood, out of it.

Amir0x

Banned
Gagaman said:

The size and scope of an Okami game makes it impossible to just churn it out in factory format like Viewtiful Joe games, unless they just completely change the design.

I think it'd definitely benefit from a sequel. As absolutely mindfuckingly amazing it is, there were a few noteworthy flaws that could stand to be fixed. So that said even though the Wii version is getting an inferior version of the PS2 Okami, I hope it sells OK to the hardline Nintendo fantards who crossed their arms at the Sony platform all these years (because they hate gaming) and we get a sequel.

Of course it has a 0.1% chance of selling well, but I suppose that's better than 0%.

bridegur

Being able to skip text makes this the superior version, I may even be able to finish it. The original was great, but I had to stop halfway through thanks to the worthless dialogue.

C.T.

lyre said:
Okami is a quirky japanese game that also bombed in Japan. What chances does it have overseas? Advertising or not, it's going to bomb, again.

It sold about 200k in japan alone if I'm not mistaken. Capcom just set their exspectations too high.

Gagaman

Amir0x said:
So that said even though the Wii version is getting an inferior version of the PS2 Okami...
I take it you played the Wii version then. Another one for you to buy so you can take a photo of it in a toilet I guess? :D

Amir0x said:
The size and scope of an Okami game makes it impossible to just churn it out in factory format like Viewtiful Joe games, unless they just completely change the design.

I think it'd definitely benefit from a sequel. As absolutely mindfuckingly amazing it is, there were a few noteworthy flaws that could stand to be fixed. So that said even though the Wii version is getting an inferior version of the PS2 Okami, I hope it sells OK to the hardline Nintendo fantards who crossed their arms at the Sony platform all these years (because they hate gaming) and we get a sequel.

Of course it has a 0.1% chance of selling well, but I suppose that's better than 0%.

Wait.

How is the Wii version inferior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom