• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official CNN 1/31 Democratic Debate Thread: Obama v. Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.
obama_clinton0222.jpg

Didn't see a thread for this already, so I thought I'd start it. Comment here as you watch! :)

My prediction:

Hillary will try to paint herself as the candidate that is about the issues and the candidate who is trying to "take the high road" when it comes to personal attacks.

Barack will make attempts at being more specific when it comes to his policy proposals and will try to paint Hillary as a divisive figure without necessarily attacking her explicitly or directly.

LLLLets get ready to RUMBLLLLLLLE!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Great picture to start the thread :lol

Rindain said:
I really hope Obama calls Hillary out on her racially charged attacks and comments.
He can't do that - she'll use any direct attacks he flings her way as a way to say, "and so this is how you're supposed to be the candidate that 'unites' us??"

ZeroTolerance

BrandNew said:
Kinda wish Edwards was still there so him and Obama can tag team Clinton again.

Obama would do fine. See one thing about him is, during debates, if he gets time to think, he is pretty much unbeatable. And now that is only him and Bilary, this should definitely push him over the edge.

The perfect situation for tonight would be:

1. Barack does well in the debate.
2. John Edwards endorses him shortly after the debate (or at least have a source "leak" that he will endorse him - a la the Arnold-McCain endorsement)
3. Bill Richardson follows immediately after with his endorsement.

Good debate + Edward's voters + Richardson's influence w/ Hispanics = WIN :)

One can dream, eh?

Rindain

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
would not be a good idea for him to do that. He needs to focus on his message and plans
The problem is that if he doesn't do this, Hillary and Bill will continue to get away with their race-baiting.

He could say something like, "I did not appreciate your "slumlord" comment."

That is a much more subtle, yet equally powerful way of demonstrating Clinton's race-baiting and hyprocrisy when it comes to "taking the high ground."

Rindain said:
The problem is that if he doesn't do this, Hillary and Bill will continue to get away with their race-baiting.

He could say something like, "I did not appreciate your "slumlord" comment."

That is a much more subtle, yet equally powerful way of demonstrating Clinton's race-baiting and hyprocrisy when it comes to "taking the high ground."

I'm pretty sure other Democrats are getting fucking sick of the Clinton's comments towards Obama–if they do keep doing it, Obama should just be gracious, not mention it too much, and let the other party leaders take care of that shit.

Axiom

The Chosen One said:
I have to admit CNN has had the more interesting debates lately.
Interesting perhaps, but I'd say it's in spite of the questions.

I hope tonight has an awesome backdrop too.

This is Obama's last chance to shine before the votes. He's done rather poorly in all the debates with his stuttering and shuffling. He should be able to defeat her in a one-on-one debate, but who knows.

At the same time he can't just attack her and give her the "victim" excuse.

bud

last night's ''debate'' was fucking awful. this one will probably be a lot more interesting.

wolf omg

BrandNew said:
I'm pretty sure other Democrats are getting fucking sick of the Clinton's comments towards Obama–if they do keep doing it, Obama should just be gracious, not mention it too much, and let the other party leaders take care of that shit.
i concur

ToxicAdam

Ever Google Image Search Hillary's name? ... theres dozens of pictures with her having a goofy/evil looking face. If you GIS Obama, they are all flattering pictures .. or action pictures that make him look very confident.

Tristam

PhoenixDark said:
This is Obama's last chance to shine before the votes. He's done rather poorly in all the debates with his stuttering and shuffling. He should be able to defeat her in a one-on-one debate, but who knows.

At the same time he can't just attack her and give her the "victim" excuse.

:lol

Oh PD, you're so determined to see Obama lose.

The PERFECT approach for Obama tonight:

1. Attack her proposed policies aggressively, showing: a) why they are flawed, and b) how *his* proposals are better. He MUST express his positions with enough practical detail to avoid the "you're just rhetoric" argument, but also with enough poetic rhetoric to not lose his message of hope/change we can believe in. It'll be a fine balance.

2. Reinforce that he is the best candidate to actually bring about change and building that "working majority" he talks about.

3. In case Edwards is watching and still considering Obama, he should express his economic policy in a way that highlights reducing the financial inequality in America and helping the poor.

If he does these things and expresses himself in a passionate, yet composed manner, he'll be set.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
obama better crush hillary in the debate, he needs to gain some points because he is currently down in the polls, this debate could turn the tide over to obama.

Hootie

Unfortunately she's too cold and calculating to slip up like that. It's just not in her original programming.

So my girlfriend is super excited to watch Lost (me too), but I'd kind of rather watch this live. Anyone else have the same dilemma of which to watch?

Gexecuter said:
obama better crush hillary in the debate, he needs to gain some points because he is currently down in the polls, this debate could turn the tide over to obama.

he's down in the polls? Which ones?

avaya

Smiles and Cries said:
Clinton going to Florida should be a question

She went to FL after the polls closed. What is there to ask?

IIRC the pledge not to campign there was only in existence till after the SC primary.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ive got an even bigger delima.

The ex is in town and wants to go have drinks. Whenever that happens it usually works out well for me if you know what I mean.

Lost is on.

Obamamania is on.

So torn :(

Lefty42o

Banned
StoOgE said:

The ex is in town and wants to go have drinks. Whenever that happens it usually works out well for me if you know what I mean.

Lost is on.

Obamamania is on.

you dvr both the debate and lost and feed your dick. if you know what i mean. :D

seriously. i feel sorry for you if this is a real dilemma.

Hootie

StoOgE said:

Lost is on.

Obamamania is on.

Obama > Sex >>>>>>>>>>>>> Lost

Dilemma over.

avaya

StoOgE said:

Lost is on.

Obamamania is on.

PVR that shit and go man.

Lefty42o

Banned
worldrunover said:
All of them?

nope he is leading in some. down in others. but the ones he is down in he has made up lots of ground.

and has closed the gap in the national polls.

013108DailyUpdateGraph2.gif

also the ny post as come out and endorsed obama. which will make ny a big state cause remember its not about winning the state popular vote as it is about winning delegates. he could lose ny and make a killing in delegates and even get more than hillary.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hRaKjR0_F4WJ2_O2dsOYF4-Joz2g

Can't wait! I'm getting some weird Nixon vs Kennedy vibes... (Obviously, Hillary is nothing compared to good 'ol Dick, but the old vs new, etc..)

Side question: to those that have been to one of his rallies before, how early do you have to get there? It says doors open at 7pm - how long before that should I go?

- Cris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom