• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official CNN 1/31 Democratic Debate Thread: Obama v. Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty42o

Banned
APF said:
The point is that in Obama's speech, the only prescient thing is the same prescience displayed by Dick Cheney in his explanations why Bush I didn't continue the war in Iraq in the first place, backed by the same reservations that were mainstream in the Democratic party at the time--including those voiced by Clinton, Kerry, etc--namely that the timing of the war was suspect, that inspections were the best course of action at the time but they needed to be backed by a credible deterrent, and that military action shouldn't proceed without a clear multilateral coalition. Note that Obama does not question Hussein's pursuit of banned weapons in that speech, only the idea that he's an imminent threat to the US.

cause he wasn't a threat. and hadn't been a credible threat since 98 and even then i doubt how much of a threat he was.

here we are in 2008 and its clear he was not a threat. and tis obvious that the iraq war happened because of 9/11 fear mongering. and when we needed competent leadership no one in the senate stood up and said this is wrong. it was incompetence that passed the resolution with out thew wording many senators including hillary clinton thought was implied. ie last resort.

And because of that we do not make excuses for the lapse in judgment. Mistakes were made and those on watch are responsible. we don't move forward by electing those individuals to the presidency.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
He was enough of a threat in '98 for Pres. Clinton and Sec. of State Madeline Albright to be willing to trade Iraqi lives for the sake of sanctions. I believe that is one of the reasons the turrists attacked us.

Zeed said:
I'm not sure if you're naive or just willfully ignorant, but Hillary is a veteran politician, lying is what she does. You are trying to use Hillary's own claims as evidence to support...her own claims. That is retarded.

"She really did believe the US wasn't going to war!"
"What makes you think that?"
"Cause she said so in the debate like 32 times!"
Nice assumption.

But you do know im stating that simply from her speech she gave in front of the senate right?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guileless said:
He was enough of a threat in '98 for Pres. Clinton and Sec. of State Madeline Albright to be willing to trade Iraqi lives for the sake of sanctions.

Word. (though maybe it wasn't because Iraq was so much a threat as it was a convenient target, push-over, paper tiger.)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
APF said:
Gotta nuke something.

President Clinton said:
Good evening.

Earlier today, I ordered America's armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq. They are joined by British forces. Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors.

Their purpose is to protect the national interest of the United States, and indeed the interests of people throughout the Middle East and around the world.

Saddam Hussein must not be allowed to threaten his neighbors or the world with nuclear arms, poison gas or biological weapons.

Sounds vaguely familiar, eh?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
harSon said:
Keep on fighting the good fight

Is he though? I think it's a fair point to be honest. Who knows what kind of pressure would have been put on him or how he would have responded to it.

APF

bob_arctor said:
Is he though? I think it's a fair point to be honest. Who knows what kind of pressure would have been put on him or how he would have responded to it.
I think he'd mumble incoherently until Wolf Blitzer forced him to say "yes."

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Rather than Iraq as paper tiger, Edward Said argued that Saddam's Iraq was potentially the direst threat to Israel, and so the Likud elements that control American foreign policy made keeping Iraq weak and helpless the principal aim of American foreign policy.

But you can also argue that corporate false consciousness required a paper tiger for the US to fulminate against in the Middle East (remember The Big Lebowski? I also remember a kid in my junior high had a t-shirt of a fanciful beer label called "Scud Light." ) Certainly the timing of the '98 bombings of Afghanistan and Sudan, in the midst of the Lewinsky scandal, suggests that could be the answer. Who knows.

APF

In today's world, can any responsible person not be intimately familiar with the mechanisms of local Illinois politics? I mean, that's almost as absurd as not knowing the makeup of the Duluth Chamber of Commerce, and we all know how anachronistic that would be. Welcome to the 21st century guys!

harSon

Banned
APF said:
In today's world, can any responsible person not be intimately familiar with the mechanisms of local Illinois politics? I mean, that's almost as absurd as not knowing the makeup of the Duluth Chamber of Commerce, and we all know how anachronistic that would be. Welcome to the 21st century guys!

Then don't talk about it?

Juice

Mandark said:
scorcho: Remember the how the Biden-Lugar resolution, which essentially required the president to say "I've decided to go to war" before going to war, was deemed too restrictive? Good looking out, Gephardt!

If we've learned anything from Iraq, let it be this: When someone says "I need the official go-ahead to invade and occupy a country, for the purpose of doing something other than occupying and invading that country", TELL THEM NO. Or at least don't feign surprise when they do just what you authorized them to do.

Had the war gone great, Hillary would be running as a hawkish centrist and crowing about her unflagging support from the beginning. She made a bet and lost. Too bad for her, but a lot of people have greater claim on my sympathy based on what the war's cost them.

whytemyke: That's the point! Actual constructionist judges don't reliably rule the same way the Platonic ideal form of a constructionist judge would, especially in cases where it would clash with their political conservatism. Same deal with the activists.

You have to take political biases into account. At the very least, there are cases like Ledbetter where the justices can just dick someone over with statutory interpretation.

Great post all-around, Mandark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom