• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"1UP Debates: Are You a Child-Man?"

Core407

Banned
Man-Child?! Well - you're a poo poo head.

In an article dating February 1, Hymowitz writes, "Not so long ago, the average mid-twentysomething had achieved most of adulthood's milestones -- high school degree, financial independence, marriage and children.

Well today, you still have people having kids at young ages (even possibly younger than in the past). The only thing that has delayed his financial independence and you can find many reasons for it, though.

RegularMK

You're not going to get much in the way of response without a summary of that in-depth article.

Anyway, I blame my lack of ambition on my own laziness, not video games. I'm 21, have two roomies, a shitty job at a grocery store, and haven't gone to college yet. And yet, I buy maybe a single game in a month.

Core407

Banned
RegularMK said:
You're not going to get much in the way of response without a summary of that in-depth article.

Anyway, I blame my lack of ambition on my own laziness, not video games. I'm 21, have two roomies, a shitty job at a grocery store, and haven't gone to college yet. And yet, I buy maybe a single game in a month.

Maybe the videogames is what caused the lack of ambition? I guess I could see her point - if you get all of the luxuries that an adult does when you're a kid, what motivation will you have to go out and improve yourself? There is always going to be a percentage of people who always strive for the best - trying to improve themselves in many ways, but then on the other hand - you'll have the people who don't care and attempt the easy way out for a lot of things.

_leech_ said:
I'm 24, single, and living at home but that's only because Toronto women are fucking stupid.
Catch the bus to work for a week and ask out the hottest chick in your league. No lines just would you like to go out on a date?
I dare you.

That Kay Hymowitz is quite the reactionary fuckwit. The feminist movement made clear that marriage and parenthood aren't the universal greatest lifestyle choices about 40 years ago. And she STILL hasn't gotten the message.

besada

Banned
I've had a fifteen year, entirely upward, career so far. Now, it's entirely possible I'm going to drop out of that, but I already did the growing up/money acquisition/power grabbing/corporate rollercoaster. Been there, done that, got brown on my nose.

Played craploads of videogames all the way through it. If I were anymore grown up I'd piss dust.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Visualante said:
Catch the bus to work for a week and ask out the hottest chick in your league. No lines just would you like to go out on a date?
I dare you.

Press X to talk? :lol

Ok, i'll be in my corner.

50f47685-1e9d-4ba1-be8e-cb40dca8828b.widec.jpg

"Are you saying I'm a man-child!?"

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I play video games.
I have a 401k.
I am in the process of buying a house.
I love watching cartoons.
I have a very steady and stable job.
I was born when Carter was president.
I might as well be married.
I still think farts are funny.

What am I?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Yeah, I like how it ignores the changes women have gone through. I had one girlfriend in college who was possibly the best I've had in terms of sex and just getting along, but one day she ended it because she wanted focus on her degree and career. I didn't pay much mind to what she does but I still chat with a friend of mine who used to be her roommate. She told me that my ex has yet to date someone else since me, has done nothing but worked and is not going back to school for pre-med dentistry. If she didn't end it, by this point I would have had to. And I'm a guy actually looking to do those 'terrible settling down' things.

border

Are there actually any significant statistics to back up all these biased generalizations? Has the age of marriage and home ownership increased that much? I still see a bunch of morons getting married and having babies before they are old enough to drink. Maybe I should just write an article about that, without doing any research other than some stupid NPD figures.

More to the topic -- I'm 28, single, and unsure if I will ever get married, have a child, or own a house. The only pressure I feel to do these things comes from society, not from own personal desires or expectations. It's still a strong pressure, and a delicate situation. I often question: when are are just an independent person that does what they want? When do you go to far, and simply become someone so controlled by their own anxieties and childish desires that you hold yourself back from deeper pleasures?

Zoc

Meh. Did this come out of the "family first" crowd. Anything they say is bound to be annoying as hell. Anyone not in a heterosexual, child-producing relationship is a waste of skin, according to them.

And what's with all the hate on Toronto women in this thread?

GhaleonQ

border said:
Are there actually any significant statistics to back up all these biased generalizations? Has the age of marriage and home ownership increased that much?

Kind of. Strangely enough, well-educated people and the politically liberal are pulling a Europe (i.e., getting degrees and earning a couple of promotions before getting married extremely late and having 1 child) while the less well-educated and the politically conservative are not climbing the social ladder as well, but have families to show for it.

...I guess both trends are faulty, in that person's view?

That being said, I really don't understand why this is so controversial. The prosperous have always been complacent. Rome had the Circus Maximus, we have broadband Internet gaming.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
In an article dating February 1, Hymowitz writes, "Not so long ago, the average mid-twentysomething had achieved most of adulthood's milestones -- high school degree, financial independence, marriage and children.
Does she address the fact that real wages have been frozen for 30 years while the cost of university education and homes have increased?

-Rogue5-

DoctorWho said:
Dating a Toronto woman is like going on a job interview.

You and leech thinking that it's only Toronto women is naive, but hilarious.

ALSO, blaming the dating-scene for living at home is a dumb arguement... Sure, everyone likes the idea of finding the right girl, moving in together, and then getting hitched, but one could argue that moving out makes it easier to achieve the other two. Know what I mean?

GhaleonQ

DjangoReinhardt said:
Does she address the fact that real wages have been frozen for 30 years while the cost of university education and homes have increased?

Inaccurate C.P.I., massive increases in job benefits, massive increasements in the size and amenities of a standard home, jobs requiring regular and advanced degrees have increased wages every year since 1979, and so on...

Edit: not starting a debate. I'm just sayin'...

border

GhaleonQ said:
Kind of. Strangely enough, well-educated people and the politically liberal are pulling a Europe (i.e., getting degrees and earning a couple of promotions before getting married extremely late and having 1 child) while the less well-educated and the politically conservative are not climbing the social ladder as well, but have families to show for it.

Yeah, but at the same time there's all these sociologists claiming "Millennials" don't care as much about career, and would rather work where they are happy instead of climbing any ladders.

It's all a clusterfuck, IMO. It's just a plurality of ideals split across the populace, and anybody that tries to generalize is going to come up with a conclusion that is flat-out wrong for the most of the population.

MisterHero

Doesn't this industry, among many others, take a long time to get into a good paying job/position? Wouldn't it make sense that people might want to stay unobliged to financial independence/marraige/children for a bit longer to achieve a higher position or loftier goals including finishing college education and gaining experience in their chosen field?

GhaleonQ

border said:
Yeah, but at the same time there's all these sociologists claiming "Millennials" don't care as much about career, and would rather work where they are happy instead of climbing any ladders.

It's all a clusterfuck, IMO. It's just a plurality of ideals split across the populace, and anybody that tries to generalize is going to come up with a conclusion that is flat-out wrong for the most of the population.

There's a lot of truth to that. If 1 is to generalize, though, I'd say that "highly credentialed" and "fairly immature" are rather safe ones to make.

E-...End topic?

xsarien

daedsiluap
It's my firm belief that as long as you move out of your parents' house, you can be as immature as you damn well please.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm pretty sure I have some Tick episodes on the DVR that need to be dealt with.

chase

Pre-determined ideals applied unilaterally FTW! "There is only one right way to be."

The idea behind this article is so stupid that it doesn't deserve debate.

border

I appreciate the article for the information it provides, but the idea that there can be any real debate amongst 1Up-ers seems kind of silly. Might as well have a gun control debate at NRA.org.

fernoca

Best quote, actually is from on of the best movies out there:
A nation of alienated, aimless men doing things they don't want, and keeping jobs they don't like, for what? Oh, that's right, so that they can get married, and have kids, and perpetuate that cycle of middle class debt and consumerism. Why do I need to do that when I don't want to?

Mamesj

Banned
the overarching notion that men are becoming man-children is really quite a lame attempt at pulling us away from our videogames. How is one supposed to react to that? "Oh no, you've insulted my masculinity by suggesting I'm not responsible enough to provide for a family! Just for that, I'm going to go father 10 children and strive to work my way to the top of my company!"
psh.

I do find the social trends interesting though. btw, I'm living the life she's bitching about. and I'll continue to be a man-child for at least a few years out of law school, unless Ms. Right-And-Not-Too-Obsessed-With-Being-The-Best comes along. Then I'll continue to do what I need to do, while continuing to be a man-child as time permits.

i've read a lot of literature about an "emerging generation" of people - twixters, they're called - not able to grow up, men and women, and interactive media is only part of the picture. lots of socioeconomical factors there.

i consider myself one of them. i think being 25 and living at home isn't SO bad, seeing as to how i'm still in school. but then i go to family reunions and such and people are like "yeesh... what a failure."

border

Tyrone Slothrop said:
but then i go to family reunions and such and people are like "yeesh... what a failure."
Damn, your family are a bunch of assholes :lol

I think it can be acceptable to stay with parents while in school, but plenty of people just fuck around and take 1-2 classes per semester.....leading to a college life that drags on for the better part of a decade.

Gantz

Banned
fernoca said:
Best quote, actually is from on of the best movies out there:

Which movie?

i think being 25 and living at home isn't SO bad, seeing as to how i'm still in school. but then i go to family reunions and such and people are like "yeesh... what a failure."

It's bad especially at age 25. You should be seriously living on your own. I lived at home when I was in college when i was 19-21. I wished I had lived in the dorms or an apartment near school. Commuting sucked and I had very to little social life. Luckily I had a GF at the time who banged daily after class. Fortunately I moved out of my parent's house after I graduated. Next thing you know you'll be 30 and still living at home playing PS3.

Top Bottom