• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just in from Japan: Toshiba announce defeat with HD-DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So Blu-ray won? I'm not up to date with all these DVD format wars. I'm probably not going to even upgrade from DVD for 5-10 more years

mxz

ah well what can you do.

I don't hate the format, but I do hate the name! Blu-gay. Stupid name.
Anything with a BLU in it is stupid. They have a history of coming up with stupid names.

Zaptruder

Banned
Channeling Nicodimas;

It's still good! It's still good! It's just a flesh wound! They're gonna fool the otherside play dead and when they least expect it; wham! Hah!

JB1981

Best news of '08 so far for people who care about HD media.

I for one cannot WAIT to start buying every movie on one format.

PS3 = best home entertainment device ever, after this news.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Corks popping, champagne glasses ring at Sony HQ, Stringer gets out his lute and plays a tune, Ken watches his puppets dance from behind the curtains.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wait, did Toshiba actually say this on TV, or are they just reporting the rumoured plans to drop it? Or are they reporting what they've heard from their own sources?

And if it is Tosh, why aren't they putting out a PR?

In other words, is this actually official?

Crusade

ElectricBlue187 said:
i mean sales wise, still hasn't caught on like DVD or VHS did

for the record= i have neither player and have no plans to support any High Definition Digital Video Player
I thought it had a far faster adoption rate than DVD did in its early stages?

JB1981

gofreak said:
Wait, did Toshiba actually say this on TV, or are they just reporting the rumoured plans to drop it? Or are they reporting what they've heard from their own sources?

yea it's a little weird but i guess it's about as official as it can get without being, yanno, official.

avaya

gofreak said:

Production has been halted at their plant. It's NHK, official announcement is just semantics.

Other papers reporting it will come in the next 2 weeks.

JB1981 said:
yea it's a little weird but i guess it's about as official as it can get without being, yanno, official.

I wonder if HDDVD fans are going to try to sue Toshiba like they wanted to do to Warner after they jumped ship?

batbeg

mxz said:
ah well what can you do.

I don't hate the format, but I do hate the name! Blu-gay. Stupid name.
Anything with a BLU in it is stupid. They have a history of coming up with stupid names.

Sigh...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
avaya said:
Production has been halted at their plant. It's NHK, official announcement is just semantics.

Other papers reporting it will come in the next 2 weeks.

That's quite a lag..

NHK is the national broadcaster, right?

I just think it's curious, because they say "Toshiba said.." but there's been no announcement as far as I know. Does NHK get its own private, advance, press conferences? :p

avaya

gofreak said:
That's quite a lag..

NHK is the national broadcaster, right?

I just think it's curious, because they say "Toshiba said.." but there's been no announcement as far as I know. Does NHK get its own private, advance, press conferences? :p

Yes NHK and Nikkei are the two most reliable news sources in Japan, they have strong insider contacts. Just adds to Hollywood Reporter's article on Thursday which said the same thing. Mainichi Shimbun interviewed a Toshiba VP who said they were evaluating the situation and a decision will be made by the end of next week. Their reporter says there is only one way this is going. Toshiba hasn't denied anything and that is telling...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Elios83

Official announcement with details about the exit strategy will arrive at end of next week when Toshiba finalizes them,definetly within the month.

Arthas

Banned
Wow. So much for HD-DVD:lol

I stood behind blu-ray from the start, only because it could store more and it had a cooler name. Guess that was enough.

Norml

Sweet!!!

Paramount and Universal could have gotten lots of good press by going blu earlier,should have IMO.

Well there's nothing holding back Blu-Ray now. No more excuses either for low sales too. They have to start selling like DVD did against VCR tapes at this point in the life cycle.

Serenity, Bourne Trilogy, and Cloverfield will be mine.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ooooh.

Is this bad news for x360? They just got outsold by sony for the first time this month in the console space as well.

JB1981

HocusPocus said:
Well there's nothing holding back Blu-Ray now. No more excuses either for low sales too. They have to start selling like DVD did against VCR tapes at this point in the life cycle.

Serenity, Bourne Trilogy, and Cloverfield will be mine.
What about bitter, intractable HD-DVD fanboys? Ya think they'll come around? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom