• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just in from Japan: Toshiba announce defeat with HD-DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
spwolf said:
It is not the same - for Windows Vista, MS went above and beyond to make sure apps work if that was possible. Forget the FUD you see on blogs, they went above and beyond.

But that's what I mean, windows is at the centre, and likely always will be. 360's media strategy is one of a bit-player. That's what I meant by its media strategy being constrained and moulded by policy and politics elsewhere (predominantly Windows).

Anyways..

Tobor

spwolf said:
i think we had data from jan sales 2007 vs 2008, and BD movie sales went up by 4x. So yeah.

I'm talking about a much bigger, much different group of consumers, but whatever. Enjoy your victory.

scitek

Insane Metal said:
Nice move from Toshiba.

That's how I feel about it, too. I own both formats -- actually, I have two HD DVD players (I got one in case one of them fails in the future so I'll still have a backup player to watch my movies on) -- and about 50 HD DVD movies, and I really don't care about Blu-ray coming out on top. It was pretty obvious a long time ago this day would come, anyway. It's become a very good format, and I'm hoping Toshiba makes a cheap dual-format player in the near future. I'd get it if they did.

Wollan

champagne-pop.jpg

Nicodimas

Banned
Dang oh well..I have a few more purchases that need to be made from HD-dvd<10-30 movies> and will be working on my Blu-ray collection in summer.

Heres hoping we get some awesome prices on movies and players so we can pick some up on the cheap. Those that are purple really win by the move.

Peru

HocusPocus said:
Well there's nothing holding back Blu-Ray now. No more excuses either for low sales too. They have to start selling like DVD did against VCR tapes at this point in the life cycle.
Latest European sales numbers tell a different story: Blu-Ray is selling better, both in hardware and software, than dvd did at the same point in its life. Not a niche product to be, confirmed.

skybaby

J. M. Romeo said:
I guess that now my importing tasks will be a bit more difficult since not all of the Blu Rays are region-free.
Region Free-ness was the best part about HD-DVD. I suppose that and less DRM made the studios jump over. Weep with me :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A reuters update, with more direct quotes from their source, with a further indication of an announcement next week, perhaps.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSL1643184420080216

A source at Toshiba confirmed an earlier report by public broadcaster NHK that it was getting ready to pull the plug.

"We have entered the final stage of planning to make our exit from the next generation DVD business," said the source, who asked not to be identified. He added that an official announcement could come as early as next week.

No one answered the phone at Toshiba's public relations office in Tokyo.

The Toshiba source said the experience would not be a total loss for the sprawling conglomerate, whose products range from refrigerators to power plants, which would learn valuable lessons.

"Marketing was a weak point for Toshiba. We learned a lot from HD DVD. Strengthening marketing will continue to be an issue for us going forward," the source said.

cvxfreak

Nice to finally see one format moving forward. I own the 360 add-on and a few HD-DVDs, but I don't really feel bad at all. One was bound to lose, so it was great getting the exclusives and not waiting.

No one answered the phone at Toshiba's public relations office in Tokyo.

It's 12:30AM in Tokyo right now. When was the phone call made? :lol

Mmmkay

cvxfreak said:
It's 12:30AM in Tokyo right now. When was the phone call made? :lol
I assume that was from NHK elaborating on their article, so probably when NHK were originally following up on their Toshiba source.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
harSon said:
I love the benefits of owning both :) I really didn't give a fuck which ever way the format wars went :lol

Pretty much. I'll get a PS3 at some point and I'll be set. Now I gotta track down some insanely discounted HD-DVD's for my Toshiba...

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
This is good.

Now, if they'd bring down the price of the players and the media to reasonable price points, Blu-ray might be something to really invest in. Lord knows I'd like some HD content on my screen but jumping Jesus is it way too expensive for what the content is.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't see a lot of tears. Have the HD advocates avoided this thread, or outright shut their computers after realizing all that internet fucking geek bitching and hundreds of pages of rants have now all been for nothing?:p

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
mxz said:
I don't hate the format, but I do hate the name! Blu-gay. Stupid name.
What are you, 12 years old? Jesus.

Hey, what's next for the Deadmeat technology train of failure? Digital downloads? lol

NIghtWolf

gofreak said:
Reuters has its own independent source now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSL1637974620080216

It wasn't odd at all, it was the most likely outcome. The "bubububu..betamax!" brigade were just being ridiculous and not facing the facts of the very different circumstances of blu-ray vs hd-dvd and vhs vs betamax.

Agreed, and too bad the by the time betamax existed there was no playstation. That was an risky yet successful strategy for sony and bda.

Was a fun ride, not as epic as betamax vs VHS though. Toshiba doing the smart thing, the writing was on the wall no need to continue a pointless battle.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
atomsk said:
well i guess the BOGO's were fun while they lasted

no competition = no price wars

sad panda

Yes, but the average price of blu-ray movies should start to drop

Joe said:
true, but sony and others will take their sweet time dropping hardware prices now.

No, this isn't true. There will be more hardware manufacturers making Blu-Ray players, and THAT competition will continue to drive prices south, much like DVD prices plummeted after it got a small market share (much like Blu-Ray will do).

I bought a hddvd player addon w/free Heroes for $162. Sold it on ebay the day WB went Bluray for $130. So I lost $32 plus taxes on supporting HD. *shrug* I'm still waiting for my 5 free movies, which I'll ebay once they come in. If they come in now.

Amir0x

Banned
Wollan said:
Called a PS3 right? I mean, seriously?

Fuck no. I would NEVER use a videogame console as my primary movie player. EVER. I don't care how sufficient the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is, that's just not going to work for me.

I'm a ridiculously huge movie fan: I have thousands of DVDs and will end up with thousands of Blu-Ray movies. I need a super high-end Blu-Ray player for my purposes, PS3 will not be that no matter how sufficient it is for the price.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
God, the sniping of some posters is so lol.

As far as I'm aware, BRD is growing at a faster rate in its lifecycle than DVD did-- whether that is sustainable or not I am not so sure.

And there's definitely a reason BOBOBOB DIGITAL DOWNLOADS was in the old thread title of that clusterfuck thread.

HD-DOA HUAHUAHA™ was dead the minute Blu-Ray launched. It was a matter of time until it was dead and there's a finite amount of utility to be drained. Then we'll put it on a boat and cast it into the sea. Toshiba should have been even more desperate for compromise with BRD when they had the chance.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Brannon said:
Now I can choose the Blu-Ray version of...

EVERYTHING BITCH!!!

:p

:lol

I know! It is the greatest thing ever. I can't wait for blu-ray to go full steam ahead. I want some Criterion Collection, I want some Star Wars and Indiana Jones, I want godamned Transformers, Cloverfield, Children of Men, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I want them right now! Such great news.

LuCkymoON

Banned
skybaby said:
Region Free-ness was the best part about HD-DVD. I suppose that and less DRM made the studios jump over. Weep with me :(
Yep, less DRM. managed copying and region free were the reasons Fox and Disney stayed away from HD-DVD.
I find it odd that people are happy that they will have less control over the content on the disc.

SupahBlah

Banned
Xater said:
What? Don't you forget this little insignificant format called Compact Disc?:lol

It was really Phillips, you have to give them credit.

Although Sony did say that the CD had to hold 74 minutes rather than the 60 minutes Phillips wanted, the reason is brilliant.

Sony said it had to hold 74m to have a complete performance of Beethoven’s 9th Symphony.

avaya

LuCkymoON said:
Yep, less DRM. managed copying and region free were the reasons Fox and Disney stayed away from HD-DVD.
I find it odd that people are happy that they will have less control over the content on the disc.

You are aware that both formats use AACS and in that specification managed copy is standard. Fox is the first studio to release a digital copy on the disc, so bang goes the old talking point.

Tabris

Amir0x said:
no i'm not buying a PS3 yet,
TRICO
is still a ways off

I'm buying a Blu-Ray player :D

Why would you not just buy a PS3? It's a blu-ray profile 1.2 player, outputs hdmi 1.3a and you know, you can play games on it. For around the same price as current blu-ray players.

I just don't understand the logic of someone that has remotely any interest in gaming not to buy a PS3 if they want a blu-ray player.

Anyways, this news is awesome. I haven't been buying any blu-ray/hd-dvd as I was waiting for this. Next month I think I'll drop 1 grand to upgrade my dvd collection to the available blu-ray versions.

avaya

SupahBlah said:

Although Sony did say that the CD had to hold 74 minutes rather than the 60 minutes Phillips wanted, the reason is brilliant.

Sony said it had to hold 74m to have a complete performance of Beethoven’s 9th Symphony.

It was Ohga, the professional opera singer and then Sony CEO who wanted it :lol

SupahBlah said:

I never heard that story. That sounds like some Ken Kutaragi-style thinking right there. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tabris said:
Why would you not just buy a PS3? It's a blu-ray profile 1.2 player

And unlike most (or all?) others, it's upgradeable to 2.0.

Even the BDA was recommending people pick up a PS3 at CES vs the other players, for this reason, if none other.

If you want a Blu-ray player, for now at least PS3 is your best bet. And it kind of sounded like Ami wanted one now :p

ElectricBlue187 said:
i mean sales wise, still hasn't caught on like DVD or VHS did

for the record= i have neither player and have no plans to support any High Definition Digital Video Player
Time marches forward whether you come along or not.

Tabris

Amir0x said:
Fuck no. I would NEVER use a videogame console as my primary movie player. EVER. I don't care how sufficient the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is, that's just not going to work for me.

I'm a ridiculously huge movie fan: I have thousands of DVDs and will end up with thousands of Blu-Ray movies. I need a super high-end Blu-Ray player for my purposes, PS3 will not be that no matter how sufficient it is for the price.

PS3 is as high-end as every other Blu-Ray player though. It doesn't make sense what you're saying. Infact, the best feature of the PS3 over other Blu-Ray players (except being able to play games) is the fact it can be upgraded. The difference between the original blu ray firmware and the current one is huge. So that will ensure it's always up to the current standards. Plus it has excellent upscaling finally.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Well, I supported both. 78 BDs and 28 HD DVDs. :D Still, glad it's finally over. Now we may be able to get more catalog titles. The only downsides are:

1) Higher-priced standalone players
2) Potentially longer street dates for movie releases
3) Higher-priced movies
4) Fewer sales on said movies. :|

Still, at least it's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom