• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just in from Japan: Toshiba announce defeat with HD-DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

HD-DVD had the problem of going up against upconverting DVD players that basically said that they were high definition dvd players. How can you possibly succeed with a name that's synonymous with upconverted standard definition?

Also, I don't understand the hate for using the PS3 as a movie player. Its software upconverting ability is close to the REON chip. It's the fastest booting bluray player and is quite possibly the only one that is out now that is capable of 2.0 through updates. It plays freakin divx files streamed from your PC or put into the PS3 on a USB memory card. You can use something like this to make your harmony remote usable (you still have to turn it on/off manually, but it's not like you're putting in/taking out bluray movies remotely from the couch anyway.) Just because it's called "playstation" doesn't mean you have to use it as a game machine. I have yet to buy a game for mine and I don't pick up a game controller to use it at all.

Honestly, if I didn't already own Planet Earth, Galapagos, BSG Season 1, Harry Potter 1-5, and the Bourne Trilogy on HD-DVD, I'd probably be selling my XA2 and using just the PS3.

Madman

Anasui Kishibe said:
it makes sense. He wants a top of the line player, which is the one I'm getting as well, which will also be superior to the one inside the PS3.
How would it be superior? Disk load time, features, upgrade ability? Or just a higher price tag?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This is all good and all so the market can move forward with next-gen video format... But Blu-ray is still a couple of years away from overtaking DVD. 480p is good enough for me!

KTallguy

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
This is all good and all so the market can move forward with next-gen video format... But Blu-ray is still a couple of years away from overtaking DVD. 480p is good enough for me!

Once you start, you can't go back.

I'm never buying a DVD ever again.

careksims

Awesome! I knew Blu-Ray will win! HD movie goodness ahoy!

I agree with KTallguy. Once you make the leap to HD, you can't go back to normal dvds. So grainy X_x. Of course it helps when you have a HDTV.

Duke Togo

I'm not sure whats funnier, all the upset HD-DVD fanatics, or the fact that somebody has enough spare time to devote all their energy to a fucking disc format. :lol

Amorox, I'd do this:

Get a PS3 now, and get a top-of-the-line player in Q4. Not only will prices drop a lot more on those than the PS3, new models will probably come out which will be superior to current models (boot times, profile 2.0, etc). If you want better than the PS3, it's probably worth a short wait.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Actually, now the real "war" begins. How do we get the masses to stop buying SD DVDs and pick up Blu-Ray?

BigDug13

avaya said:
audio outputs.

Sorry, but if you're truly going for "top of the line" equipment, you already have an HDMI capable receiver or separates with HDMI capability.

Also, unless you also have an HTPC connected to your system, you're going to get a lot more capability out of the PS3 than any other blu-ray player with the DIVX streaming functionality.

I have no doubt that DTS-MA decoding will eventually come in an update.

All the comparisons to Betamax are kinda funny.

When Beta died, and no movies came out for it any more, for years after you could still buy blank tapes. Ours served as a great Video Cassette RECORDER, taping many things off the air.

An HD-DVD player? Can't record with that. You're stuck watching what you've got.

duketogo88 said:
I'm not sure whats funnier, all the upset HD-DVD fanatics, or the fact that somebody has enough spare time to devote all their energy to a fucking disc format. :lol

I don't know how they can afford to buy 10 movies a week like they claim. With all that free time, it's hard to imagine they have jobs.

I just went to the site to see the news for myself and this is what I found:

"米ウォルマート 、次世代DVD商品を「ブルーレイ」に一本化 | Reuters

Wal-Mart、Blu-rayに一本化へ - ITmedia News

米Wal-Martも、次世代DVD規格をBlu-rayに決定

これらの動きを受けて、東芝は青森県にある工場の機器生産を全面的に停止、HD DVD事業からの完全撤退する方針を固めたとのことです。

店頭販売は当面継続するものの、新たな開発はやめる方針で、これによって損失は数百億円に達するとのこと。

つまり、次世代DVDの規格争いは事実上、ソニーのブルーレイ方式(Blu-ray Disc)に統一される見通しになったわけです。

ちなみに、東芝の藤井美英執行役上席常務はインタビュー中で、HD DVDがブルーレイに負けたら土下座するというような発言もしていました。

LG電子、一台でBlu-rayとHD DVDの両規格に対応したドライブを発売 - GIGAZINE

Blu-rayとHD DVDの両規格を一枚の光ディスクに入れる技術 - GIGAZINE

Posted by darkhorse 2008年02月16日 19時20分00秒 in ハードウェア, メモ"

Wow! It really IS true!!!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
duketogo88 said:

The things you do to justify the purchase of something can be amazing, plus brand loyalty does strange things to the mind.

avaya

PS3 audio decoding capability may or may not come in a firmware update. It isn't a case of it not being able to to them but a politicial situation with the other CE manufacturers. Only after the others have been on the market for a while with DTS-MA and bitstream capability will Sony be permitted to release the update. Bitstream is not 100% certain. This has been confirmed by Blu-ray insider Maxpower1987 from Blu-ray.com forums.

Az987 said:
PS3 cant do DTS-MA .. that fact alone makes me wanna buy a new player

Not to single you out or anything, but the vast majority of the people here, and on AVS forum complaining about this issue are the same people asking for advice on $300 speakers.

My point is, while there is a difference in quality between DTS MA and DTS 1.5, it is simply not a big issue. The discs have them. They're not going anywhere. If the PS3 can't decode DTS MA, it is not the end of the world. Plus, it's pretty much been confirmed that the PS3 CAN decode DTS MA, but it cannot send it bitstream.

The only question remains, how long will Sony hold off on DTS MA, until all the other BDA hardware makers are satisfied with the sales of their players with DTS MA bitstream/decoding etc.. What Sony does NOT want to do is create a Blu-ray hardware monopoly where the PS3 is so clearly the most logical choice that no one buys other hardware.

duketogo88 said:
And that applies just as much to the Blu-Ray fanboys.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
suffah said:
Actually, now the real "war" begins. How do we get the masses to stop buying SD DVDs and pick up Blu-Ray?

Well, that isn't happening for some years yet, if it happens at all.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Cool. I will start buying some Bluray movies now for my PS3. I've been holidng off this long because of this stupid format war.

EktorPR

Three things need to happen soon, with the format war now over:

1-Lower disc prices.

3-Paramount/Dreamworks: It is time.

2-Universal: I want my Bourne Trilogy now, okthxbye.

Mrbob

FINALLY.

Amir0x said:
Fuck no. I would NEVER use a videogame console as my primary movie player. EVER. I don't care how sufficient the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is, that's just not going to work for me.

I'm a ridiculously huge movie fan: I have thousands of DVDs and will end up with thousands of Blu-Ray movies. I need a super high-end Blu-Ray player for my purposes, PS3 will not be that no matter how sufficient it is for the price.

Since the PS3 is the best blu ray player, buy two.

Buy one for movies now, and another for games later.

NekoFever

Madman said:
It currently can't a few(one?), right? Those will come with a firmware upgrade, right?
It can't decode DTS-HD or DTS-HD Master Audio, which limits you to the DVD-quality DTS core on discs with that sound option but yeah, that can be added in a firmware update.

But another issue with the audio outputs is the physical outputs - if you want HD audio on the PS3, your only option is HDMI. Most standalones have analogue 5.1 outputs which means that pretty much any half-decent receiver from the last decade can play the new codecs when converted to PCM by the player. If you're in the market for a Blu-ray player, the $399 PS3 suddenly isn't such good value next to a $599 standalone when the PS3 requires a whole new surround receiver to get HD audio out of it. Even the most expensive home theatre setups from a couple of years ago will be limited to optical audio (therefore: Dolby Digital, DTS, or 2.0 PCM) with a PS3.

Dante

KTallguy said:
I'm sorry, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that because the PS3 is upgradable it's the most future proof, top of the line player out there?

Maybe if you take all those bitter tears and soak the blu-ray cases in them, the blu-dye will fade. Then we can all go home.

:lol Another nail in the coffin. It's been over since CES, but as soon as it's out of site out of mind at retail Blu ray can really take off.

I'm dreaming of a Bluuuuuuuuuu xmas.
gladtomeetya.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Warm Machine said:
No it isn't but it really might as well be. Even if there was no shred of truth in it the world has turned it into a self fullfilling prophecy.

It's a lost cause for HD-DVD, there's no way Toshiba can recover now. Done and done.
gladtomeetya.gif

jett

D-Member
Cosmozone said:
Finally. Props to Toshiba for not dragging the format war.

:lol They're only quitting now becase they finally found out they couldn't sustain their constant price slashes.

I eagerly await the PR response from the cocksuckers at Universal.

Captain N

So if they drop the format does this mean Paramount & Universal can go Blu?...or do they need to wait until the contract is up?

RumFore

Banned
Heh they should have bit the cost and begged MS to use it for 360. If they did, this fight would not have been over so quick.

Kittonwy

Banned
Captain N said:
So if they drop the format does this mean Paramount & Universal can go Blu?...or do they need to wait until the contract is up?

They're not really obligated to release exclusively on HD-DVD if HD-DVD is dead, you know? You know?
Indifferent2.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Captain N said:

I think if Toshiba jumps ship..well, they should be the last to jump ship..captain is supposed to stay on board until the end ;)

Analogies aside, I am sure Uni and Paramount have exit clauses to cover them in this sort of scenario, if none other. The HD-DVD group will probably formally dissolve after Toshiba's announcement.

Kittonwy

Banned
jett said:
:lol They're only quitting now becase they finally found out they couldn't sustain their constant price slashes.

I eagerly await the PR response from the cocksuckers at Universal.

:lol

MaX_PL

Banned
careksims said:
Awesome! I knew Blu-Ray will win! HD movie goodness ahoy!

I agree with KTallguy. Once you make the leap to HD, you can't go back to normal dvds. So grainy X_x. Of course it helps when you have a HDTV.

streaming xvid/divx through xbox 360. i thought i cared for HD but this is much, much cheaper and just slightly worse quality.

35 dollar movies is just stupidity. glad hd dvd lost cause i was wasting my money.

Amir0x said:
i dont know, the mighty Blu-Ray player I finally decide to buy (I have to start doing some substantial research now that the war is over) is obviously not going to be cheap. I make a good salary, but it's still not "throw money down the drain" worthy. I have to buy one now, and one later. I'm going to buy a PS3 by the end of the year thanks to LittleBigPlanet/MGS4/
TRICO
, but it's not going to be for Blu-Ray movies. I personally consider the dedicated Blu-Ray player the priority because the PS3 doesn't really have much I care about this moment, but Blu-Ray has tons of things I care about and I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop before I jumped aboard.
Mon "Ami"-rox

Take it from me, anything you spend money on now other than a PS3 will be money you regret spending down the road, regardless of any games out or coming out. I have one and and back home we have a dedicated Sony player, the boot up times for the player then the load times for the movies are fucking ridiculous, not to mention the fact that the PS3 is the only BD player on the market that is Profile 2.0 compliant* (via firmware update when said updated profile hits)

If I didn't already have one (that I got as a gift since I didn't want to buy it) I would go out and pick one up now just for movies. I'm at like 12 BDs to 7 games.

MaX_PL said:
35 dollar movies is just stupidity. glad hd dvd lost cause i was wasting my money.

This is the best local rationalization yet!

Also, nobody ought to be paying that much for movies. Amazon, sales, etc.

Kittonwy said:
They're not really obligated to release exclusively on HD-DVD if HD-DVD is dead, you know? You know?
Indifferent2.gif

Who knows what is actually written into their contracts. Best case scenario is that it is clean and allows for an immediate switch. I would assume however that Universal and Paramount would have to approach the BR group and get an agreement written up to start producing movies over there which will hopefully happen fast if it hasn't happened already.

Don't assume though that one light goes off and the other one comes on immediately.

MaX_PL said:
streaming xvid/divx through xbox 360. i thought i cared for HD but this is much, much cheaper and just slightly worse quality.
Not everyone is comfortable with illegal movie downloads. Unless your gonna convert all of them yourself, in which case the streaming is pretty much useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom