• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just in from Japan: Toshiba announce defeat with HD-DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

BobLoblaw said:
Well, I supported both. 78 BDs and 28 HD DVDs. :D Still, glad it's finally over. Now we may be able to get more catalog titles. The only downsides are:

1) Higher-priced standalone players
2) Potentially longer street dates for movie releases
3) Higher-priced movies
4) Fewer sales on said movies. :|

Still, at least it's over.

DVD was a single format that only needed to compete against it's predecessors (laser and vhs) and it didn't suffer any of those. I don't think this was an example of competition being good for the market, it suffered because of it. I mean just myself, I'm going to spend $1000+ on Blu-Ray movies over the next couple of months because I was reserved before cause I didn't know which one would win.

Bigfoot

spwolf said:
Sony did win this one and it increases tremendusly the value of Blu-Ray in the eyes of the customer. And of course, more free PR for Sony.
Maybe I'm wrong, but not just Sony won, right? Blu-ray won, and Sony is only part of nine companies that founded Blu-ray.

Bigfoot

Tabris said:
DVD was a single format that only needed to compete against it's predecessors (laser and vhs) and it didn't suffer any of those. I don't think this was an example of competition being good for the market, it suffered because of it. I mean just myself, I'm going to spend $1000+ on Blu-Ray movies over the next couple of months because I was reserved before cause I didn't know which one would win.
One thing against Blu-ray that will never make it as successful as DVD is that I don't expect people to re-buy their entire collections again. Everybody got rid of their VHS collections, and double dipped to get the DVD versions, but since Blu-Ray players play DVDs, and they still look great, I can't see many people rebuying everything aside from a few select movies.

bill0527

Porthos said:
One thing against Blu-ray that will never make it as successful as DVD is that I don't expect people to re-buy their entire collections again. Everybody got rid of their VHS collections, and double dipped to get the DVD versions, but since Blu-Ray players play DVDs, and they still look great, I can't see many people rebuying everything aside from a few select movies.

That's pretty much always been my stance. I buy Blu-Ray releases on brand new movies, but I'm sticking with my old DVDs on catalog titles. Upscaled on the PS3, they don't look bad at all. Not as good as Blu-Ray, but not bad enough for me to want to pay $25-$35 a pop to replace my collection. There are some exceptions to this - I'll definately rebuy LOTR Trilogy, all 6 Star Wars movies, Indiana Jones trilogy (soon to be quadigy).

Tabris

Porthos said:

It's all a matter of time though. Now that all high-definition revenue will go to blu ray, they can start making the prices comparable with DVD. Give it a year for that though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Porthos said:

Hello sir.

I am emailing you to inform you that you can play regular DVDs in your Blu-Ray player, so your sorry ass excuses are pointless. Thank you.

PS: Any future prints of already released movies will be featured on Blu-Ray. Have a good day.

Amir0x said:
Fuck no. I would NEVER use a videogame console as my primary movie player. EVER. I don't care how sufficient the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is, that's just not going to work for me.

I'm a ridiculously huge movie fan: I have thousands of DVDs and will end up with thousands of Blu-Ray movies. I need a super high-end Blu-Ray player for my purposes, PS3 will not be that no matter how sufficient it is for the price.

Enjoy 40sec bootup, and 30 sec load times for another year or so then. These machines are all packing a ton of processing power. All blu-ray 2.0 Live players will contain 1gb of storage memory. There are still PCs used by people here who don't have 1gb.

If you want the fastest, easiest to set up, and the most advanced blu-ray player out there, the PS3 is it. Sure, in time there will be players that eclipse what the PS3 can do, but it will take take to match its convinience aspect of it.

The only 2 downsides to the PS3 is the noise it makes during movies, and the inability to bitstream HD audio codecs.

If you're dead set against the PS3, there are many BD live players coming out this year, from Pioneer, Denon, Sony, Marantz, and Panasonic.

sakuragi

Banned
Porthos said:

I don't think most Blu-ray adopters will rebuy their previous collections they already have on DVDs. However, I do think people who have a Blu-ray player will buy the new films going forward and that's more than enough to insure blu-ray's success. They wont go back to buying new films on DVDs. And people who dont own a blu-ray player and have a DVD player will think twise before buying new movies for the DVD, surely. DVD will die a slow death once more adopters adopt Blu-ray along with their HD tvs. It will take time, like all transitions to the successor of a product.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Porthos said:
That's a point against BD? New movies are going to keep getting made. Keep your back catalog on DVD, it's okay.

womp

Xater said:
What? Don't you forget this little insignificant format called Compact Disc?:lol

Problem there is, like Blu-Ray...Compact Disc was a group effort. Sony is only part of the development of both. Compact Disc had a lot to do with Philips as well.

Anyway, if in 2 years Blu-Ray is still around and the player and discs are down to $149.99 and $14.99 or less I'll check into it. :D

Tobor

Second said:
Yeah, everyone is going to download movies and games in the next following decade...

NOT

Steam, iTunes, XBLM, PSN, VC, Wiiware, Verizon, Comcast, and millions upon millions of invested dollars are all laughing at you.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Ether_Snake said:
Hello sir.

I am emailing you to inform you that you can play regular DVDs in your Blu-Ray player, so your sorry ass excuses are pointless. Thank you.

PS: Any future prints of already released movies will be featured on Blu-Ray. Have a good day.

Didn't he just say that?...

Calm down and read next time, spud...

pxleyes

Banned
Tabris said:
PS3 is as high-end as every other Blu-Ray player though. It doesn't make sense what you're saying. Infact, the best feature of the PS3 over other Blu-Ray players (except being able to play games) is the fact it can be upgraded. The difference between the original blu ray firmware and the current one is huge. So that will ensure it's always up to the current standards. Plus it has excellent upscaling finally.
Upgradeable firmware for the win! Maybe I'll get one eventually.

border

Tobor said:
Steam, iTunes, XBLM, PSN, VC, Wiiware, Verizon, Comcast, and millions upon millions of invested dollars are all laughing at you.
Of those, how many actually allow you to purchase movies? Shit, Steam and Wiiware don't even have movies to my knowlege....

Tobor said:
iTunes and digital downloads are only 10% of the music market, and DD started earlier and is stronger there. It's some time away for mass mainstream video downloading.

sakuragi

Banned
Tobor said:

Yet, the sales of steam, XBLM, PSN, VC, Wiiware pale in comparison to the sales of the physical based formats.

Digital distribution is a viable solution for items that require small data like Music, but when if comes to large data distribution, it isn't as practice as the physical counterparts. Until we see a decline in sales of games and movies on physical formats, then we will talk. ( although piracy will contribute more to the decline that digital distribution).

Tobor

border said:
Of those, how many actually allow you to purchase movies? Shit, Steam and Wiiware don't even have movies to my knowlege....

I was referring to his comment, which was "movies and games".

As for movies to be purchased, that would be iTunes. Coincidentally, I was pretty drunk last night and purchased Trading Places on iTunes at 2:30 in the morning. I passed out 15 minutes in.

As for yet another DD debate, I'll pass. It always ends with Bish lol'ing at DD, and I have a lunch to go to anyway.

Digital *music* downloads are still a distant second to physical media. They're certainly catching up, but they're about 10 years ahead of where movie downloads are.

Blu is the best thing now and for the next decade.

I can get HD on demand over cable now... and the quality is crap compared to disc. It's good for what it is, but it's not a replacement for high quality media.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Tobor said:
Coincidentally, I was pretty drunk last night and purchased Trading Places on iTunes at 2:30 in the morning. I passed out 15 minutes in.

THE FUTURE OF MOVIE PURCHASING!

Tobor

Ignatz Mouse said:
Digital *music* downloads are still a distant second to physical media. They're certainly catching up, but they're about 10 years ahead of where movie downloads are.

Blu is the best thing now and for the next decade.

I can get HD on demand over cable now... and the quality is crap compared to disc. It's good for what it is, but it's not a replacement for high quality media.

iTunes is the 3rd largest music store in America, behind only Walmart and Amazon. Stop feeding me softballs, I'm going to be late for lunch!

Kittonwy

Banned
sp0rsk said:

So awesome.
gladtomeetya.gif

Tobor

chubigans said:
THE FUTURE OF MOVIE PURCHASING!

I really just wanted to rent it, but iTunes doesn't have that set up for the entire catalog yet, so I bought it. It was only $10, so who cares.

Bezz

Banned
My homeboy Ken Kutaragi is laughing his ass off, while everyone thought he was delusional, he is a genius.

This beer is for you Ken.

border

Tobor said:
iTunes is the 3rd largest music store in America, behind only Walmart and Amazon. Stop feeding me softballs, I'm going to be late for lunch!
http://www.ifpi.org/content/library/music market sales data 2006.pdf

Digital content represents only 17% of music sales in the USA (and this figure includes cellphone bullshit like ringtones)......and only 11% of the worldwide market.

I don't know if iTunes is in 3rd place since you gave no reference, but if it is it looks like it is a pretty distant 3rd.

As for movies to be purchased, that would be iTunes
Too bad AppleTV is such a flop. DD can't take off unless there is a reliable way to get purchased content onto your TV.

Kittonwy

Banned
spwolf said:
It is not the same - for Windows Vista, MS went above and beyond to make sure apps work if that was possible. Forget the FUD you see on blogs, they went above and beyond.

For Zune2 they took out support for Play4Sure that their Zune1 users purchased from their store. I can not believe they got away with that. Its preposterous. Same like simply cutting of Xbox games.

I think the difference here is that MS can't possibly risk hurting its biggest cash cow.

Tobor said:

And they're 10 years ahead of where movie downloads are, *and* they're still a minority! Yay! And that's for something that can be bought in 5 MB chunks *and* is generally used on-the-go!

But yeah, Digital Downloads will take over *any day now*!

Really, they will... but not as fast as people seem to want to believe.

Speevy

Banned
Nicodimas said:
Dang oh well..I have a few more purchases that need to be made from HD-dvd<10-30 movies> and will be working on my Blu-ray collection in summer.

Heres hoping we get some awesome prices on movies and players so we can pick some up on the cheap. Those that are purple really win by the move.

Don't give up man. You've inspired me. I'm on-board with HD-DVD now. Never lose hope.

Tobor

border said:
http://www.ifpi.org/content/library/music market sales data 2006.pdf

Digital content represents only 17% of music sales in the USA (and this figure includes cellphone bullshit like ringtones)......and only 11% of the worldwide market.

I don't know if iTunes is in 3rd place since you gave no reference, but if it is it looks like it is a pretty distant 3rd.

Too bad AppleTV is such a flop. DD can't take off unless there is a reliable way to get purchased content onto your TV.

http://www.macworld.com/article/58548/2007/06/itunesthird.html

I was slightly off. It's 3rd place behind Walmart and Best Buy. iTunes is actually ahead of Amazon. My apologies.

And with that, I bid you adieu.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Amir0x said:
Fuck no. I would NEVER use a videogame console as my primary movie player. EVER. I don't care how sufficient the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is, that's just not going to work for me.
Sounds like you made up your own personal "nerd rules" for buying movie/game players based on two machines: the PS2 and the Xbox. That's way too small of a survey.

The PS3 is a golden bluray player. If there's anything better, it isn't here now. It won't be here this year. I'm skeptical as to what could possibly be better, too.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom