• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just in from Japan: Toshiba announce defeat with HD-DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

border said:
Thanks for the link which continues to undermine the point you're trying to make:

"Physical CD sales still dominate the music scene with 86.2 percent of all sales"

Today, this is true. So I guess you win. I don't know what you win, but you win.

I am magnaminous even in defeat.

My lunch got pushed to 1:30, so you can keep laughing at my downloading ways a little longer.

/receives GAF donkey punch.

SSM25

Bulla564 said:
I remember the Betamax/Blu-ray comparisons like it was yesterday...

It was a good show.

Yeah It was funny, although BETA and HD-DVD have many more things in common....

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yay @ unified format, boo @ more crappy DRM

At least we can finally get on track by standardizing things a little bit more. Michael Bay must be very proud of himself.

Kittonwy

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Yay @ unified format, boo @ more crappy DRM

At least we can finally get on track by standardizing things a little bit more. Michael Bay must be very proud of himself.

Bay wuz right all along.
gladtomeetya.gif

Gattsu25

Banned
border said:
Thanks for the link which continues to undermine the point you're trying to make:

"Physical CD sales still dominate the music scene with 86.2 percent of all sales"
And even that is in a case where a digital download is a very small download

Majmun

Tobor said:
Steam, iTunes, XBLM, PSN, VC, Wiiware, Verizon, Comcast, and millions upon millions of invested dollars are all laughing at you.

And I'm laughing at them because I and the majority ain't using it!

This "download is the future" crap is getting pretty stale. What do you mean with "future"? Is it going to happen tomorrow? Maybe next year? Or over 20 years?

I agree that downloading media will become more and more popular, but don't expect it to happen soon.

djkimothy

DD only works when the instant gratification is instant. I download from itunes cause it takes literally seconds to download a song.

How long does it take to download an HD movie. A compressed one to boot. :/

Pellham

Banned
oneHeero said:
How does it feel to watchign HD cont.... O wait, SD 4 LIFE!

He's probably DLing blu-ray rips from torrents anyway.

How long does it take to download an HD movie. A compressed one to boot. :/

Only a few min on the fastest internet speed. If we ever match up with the speeds Japan and South Korea get, it'll be even faster.

Digital content represents only 17% of music sales in the USA (and this figure includes cellphone bullshit like ringtones)......and only 11% of the worldwide market.

Do you realize that you are quoting an outdated report?

border

Pellham said:
Do you realize that you are quoting an outdated report?
How is it outdated? Is there a more recent report?

It's dated May 2007, and it covers the 2006 calendar year. So presumably it will take until May 2008 to get the data culled for the 2007 calendar year.

The article linked by Tobor is dated June 22, 2007 and says iTunes sits at less than 10% market share, with only 13% of the market doing digital.

I can only presume that the numbers will increase over time, yes.......but I doubt you are going to see a huge leap from year-to-year. Even with the dominance of the iPod and a decade of digital music, physical media is still king. People imagining a digital takeover in the home video arena need a little perspective I think.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
SketchTheArtist said:
That's cool. All of the HD-DVD movies will be on sale to liquidate the remaining titles. Good news.

I think my uncle said the same thing when they discontinued Laser Disc. No joke.

Amir0x said:
Fuck no. I would NEVER use a videogame console as my primary movie player. EVER. I don't care how sufficient the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is, that's just not going to work for me.

I'm a ridiculously huge movie fan: I have thousands of DVDs and will end up with thousands of Blu-Ray movies. I need a super high-end Blu-Ray player for my purposes, PS3 will not be that no matter how sufficient it is for the price.

Why? PS3 is one of the best higher end blu-ray players on the planet and upgradeable. When even a multi-million dollar home theater set-up includes it, you know it's done good.

208great.1.jpg

208great.8.jpg

avaya

Barkley's Justice said:
i hope sony can now license the name "HD-DVD" from toshiba cause "blu-ray" sucks.

blu-ray is the superior name now. hd-dvd is gutter trash name after all is said and done.

Barkley's Justice said:
i hope sony can now license the name "HD-DVD" from toshiba cause "blu-ray" sucks.
HD-DVD takes to long to say and it's not really catchy, Bluray on the other hand is a great name.

dolemite

If Toshiba decides to sell off their high end model for something like 50 bucks (rather then bury them all in New Mexico) I might actually pick one up so I can poke its insides with my soldering iron.:D

Defuser

Amir0x said:
Fuck no. I would NEVER use a videogame console as my primary movie player. EVER. I don't care how sufficient the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is, that's just not going to work for me.

I'm a ridiculously huge movie fan: I have thousands of DVDs and will end up with thousands of Blu-Ray movies. I need a super high-end Blu-Ray player for my purposes, PS3 will not be that no matter how sufficient it is for the price.

Why can't you just buy a PS3 for now to watch your movies and play games?Then when a cheaper & better Blu-ray player comes out , you can finally watch your movies on it and have a PS3 to play games? Geez ami,please think outside the box,you're not gonna lose out in the end.

hopefully this will bring a gigantic price cut for the BR players. I refuse to buy a console I don't have the slightest interest in just to feel cool. I will feel cool with my BR player! (discounted)

Amir0x

Banned
Defuser said:
Why can't you just buy a PS3 for now to watch your movies and play games, then when a cheaper & better Blu ray player comes out then you can finally watch your movies on it and have a PS3 to play games? Geez ami,please think outside the box,you're not gonna lose out in the end.

i dont know, the mighty Blu-Ray player I finally decide to buy (I have to start doing some substantial research now that the war is over) is obviously not going to be cheap. I make a good salary, but it's still not "throw money down the drain" worthy. I have to buy one now, and one later. I'm going to buy a PS3 by the end of the year thanks to LittleBigPlanet/MGS4/
TRICO
, but it's not going to be for Blu-Ray movies. I personally consider the dedicated Blu-Ray player the priority because the PS3 doesn't really have much I care about this moment, but Blu-Ray has tons of things I care about and I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop before I jumped aboard.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Amir0x said:
i dont know, the mighty Blu-Ray player I finally decide to buy (I have to start doing some substantial research now that the war is over) is obviously not going to be cheap. I make a good salary, but it's still not "throw money down the drain" worthy. I have to buy one now, and one later. I'm going to buy a PS3 by the end of the year thanks to LittleBigPlanet/MGS4/
TRICO
, but it's not going to be for Blu-Ray movies. I personally consider the dedicated Blu-Ray player the priority because the PS3 doesn't really have much I care about this moment, but Blu-Ray has tons of things I care about and I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop before I jumped aboard.

That...still doesn't make any sense to me. But it's your money you're blowing, so if you want to buy a standalone now and a PS3 later instead of both-in-one while saving money and getting a new gaming experience, well, ok I guess?

Anasui Kishibe said:
hopefully this will bring a gigantic price cut for the BR players. I refuse to buy a console I don't have the slightest interest in just to feel cool. I will feel cool with my BR player! (discounted)
Well . . . the reverse may be true in the short term. Now that the war is over, no more massive discounting to build market share. At least not such generous free Blu-Ray movie give-aways.

JB1981

buubbbubu toshiba is only exiting the "blue laser diode" business, not the next-gen dvd business. they are investing in super upconversion tech that magically makes all your current dvds 960p native.

speculawyer said:
Well . . . the reverse may be true in the short term. Now that the war is over, no more massive discounting to build market share. At least not such generous free Blu-Ray movie give-aways.

yes, that too. I still hope for a price cut, because on the other hand there will be a massive market war between prods now that people will be focusing on BR en masse. The cheapest price for the same player, the more units sold. I hope!

chubigans said:
That...still doesn't make any sense to me. But it's your money you're blowing, so if you want to buy a standalone now and a PS3 later instead of both-in-one while saving money and getting a new gaming experience, well, ok I guess?

it makes sense. He wants a top of the line player, which is the one I'm getting as well, which will also be superior to the one inside the PS3.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Amir0x said:
TRICO

But how are you gonna get all those awesome Blu-ray movie trailers on your dedicated player!?!

Just kidding. I don't like to tell anyone how to spend their hard earned money, and you seem pretty set on not getting a PS3 right now, but it really is a great player that i wholeheartedly recommend to people, if only to confirm that they'll always have the most up to date firmware.

Aggelos

It was about time for HD-DVD to withdraw.....
Let's hope that the PS3 sales will be affected positively from the Blu-Ray triumph...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Anasui Kishibe said:
it makes sense. He wants a top of the line player, which is the one I'm getting as well, which will also be superior to the one inside the PS3.

Ah, that makes more sense then.

MaX_PL

Banned
i may just buy a 100 pack of HD DVD cases and put all bluray discs in there if i ever decide to buy some.

for now, divx/xvid streaming from windows to xbox is an amazing thing.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm sorry, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that because the PS3 is upgradable it's the most future proof, top of the line player out there?

MaX_PL said:
i may just buy a 100 pack of HD DVD cases and put all bluray discs in there if i ever decide to buy some.

for now, divx/xvid streaming from windows to xbox is an amazing thing.

Maybe if you take all those bitter tears and soak the blu-ray cases in them, the blu-dye will fade. Then we can all go home.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
KTallguy said:
I'm sorry, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that because the PS3 is upgradable it's the most future proof, top of the line player out there?

That's true. However there are still certain things the PS3 doesn't support at the moment, like DTS-MA codecs. Hopefully we'll get that pretty soon.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Second said:
But wait...is this even official?

It's not, it's what sources within Toshiba are telling Reuters, NHK, Kyodo News..

Apparently it goes to a board meeting next week where things will be finalised. We should/might then get an official announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom