• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just in from Japan: Toshiba announce defeat with HD-DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
so1337 said:
Wow. Sucks for the people that supported HDDVD.

And this is why one should never support a side during a format war, all of those HD-DVD owners are up shit creek now. Anyway, glad to see the way over, still wishing death to the evil Blu-Ray.

JB1981 said:
What about bitter, intractable HD-DVD fanboys? Ya think they'll come around? ;-)

There was way too many people with a vested interest on both sides. It was a little scary how people routed for one format over the other with such an emotional investment. I won't miss that ;-).

HiVision said:
http://gigazine.net/index.php?/news/comments/20080216_toshiba_hddvd/

They announced it on the TV news in Japan today. (Japanese link above)

They are stopping HD-DVD and signing off 100s of millions of dollars in losses. I presume we'll see Toshiba Blu-ray players in a few months.

nbavlc.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shard said:
And this is why one should never support a side during a format war, all of those HD-DVD owners are up shit creek now. Anyway, glad to see the way over, still wishing death to the evil Blu-Ray.

:lol

For anyone without a adverse reaction to all things Sony, Blu-ray always seemed a safe bet. This was plain as day from the beginning, that this would happen sooner or later, more or less easily..it was going to happen. Some of us tried to say as much from the start.

Suerte

mxz said:
ah well what can you do.

I don't hate the format, but I do hate the name! Blu-gay. Stupid name.
Anything with a BLU in it is stupid. They have a history of coming up with stupid names.

Hmm...

I need a lower priced dedicated player with IR, PS3 still produces too much fan noise when a movie plays. Does decoding use that much CPU performance for the machine to run the fan loudly?

JB1981

TheJesusFactor said:
I need a lower priced dedicated player with IR, PS3 still produces too much fan noise when a movie plays. Does decoding use that much CPU performance for the machine to run the fan loudly?
my replacement 60gb runs a lot quieter than my launch unit, fwiw

i believe the ones that run that loud are bound to die of overheating or an overworked fan.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
gofreak said:
:lol

For anyone without a adverse reaction to all things Sony, Blu-ray always seemed a safe bet. This was plain as day from the beginning, that this would happen sooner or later, more or less easily..it was going to happen. Some of us tried to say as much from the start.

Yea, that will not be me, they have done some things, some unforgivable things in the past (Hello Rootkit) to not let up the hatred. Anyway, it does still seem odd for Sony to actually win a format war all things considered. Also, I think a little too much stock is being put into the Blu-Ray-PS3 connection.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Reuters has its own independent source now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSL1637974620080216

Toshiba Corp (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) is planning to give up on its HD DVD format for high-definition video, conceding defeat to the competing Blu-Ray technology backed by Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research), a company source said on Saturday.

The company source told Reuters that Toshiba was in the final stages of planning to exit the HD DVD business and that an official decision would be made soon. (Reporting by Mayumi Negishi, Kentaro Hamada and Nathan Layne, editing by Mike Peacock)

Shard said:
Anyway, it does still seem odd for Sony to actually win a format war all things considered.

It wasn't odd at all, it was the most likely outcome. The "bubububu..betamax!" brigade were just being ridiculous and not facing the facts of the very different circumstances of blu-ray vs hd-dvd and vhs vs betamax.

Shard said:
Yea, that will not be me, they have done some things, some unforgivable things in the past (Hello Rootkit) to not let up the hatred. Anyway, it does still seem odd for Sony to actually win a format war all things considered. Also, I think a little too much stock is being put into the Blu-Ray-PS3 connection.

Well, to be honest, they still have competition. Digital Downloads is still a threat, and the price of the players and softwares are still a little bit on the high side. If all BR movies were regularly priced at 19.99. I think it would help a lot of the PS3 owners make the decision to buy a few movies.

I just hope that Sony didn't blow so much money on this war that they actually have to keep the price high.

Did you guys check this out - XBMC on Mac Mini. - www.osxbmc.com

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
TheJesusFactor said:
Well, to be honest, they still have competition. Digital Downloads is still a threat, and the price of the players and softwares are still a little bit on the high side. If all BR movies were regularly priced at 19.99. I think it would help a lot of the PS3 owners make the decision to buy a few movies.

Indeed and they still face competition from that last-gen DVD that was uber-successful, maybe too successful for the good of Sony.

m0dus

Banned
Xun said:
Poor HD-DVD, we hardly knew ye.

Anyway... yay!

It would be incredibly foolish to write-off how much influence HD-DVD has had, especially in terms of forcing the improvement of the blu-ray standard to match features. That is, unless you really would have liked it if all the blu-rays stuck with MPEG2 . . . :)

JB1981

Shard said:
How do you control all that damage? How do you do it?

Sean

Banned
Good on Toshiba for being sensible and cutting their losses instead of dragging this out further.

Just hope this means the prices will come down for Blu-Ray hardware and software. I can understand the players being more expensive but the software should be priced the same as DVD's. I own a PS3 but haven't been buying any BD's because they're just so damn expensive.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JB1981 said:
How do you control all that damage? How do you do it?

I honestly don't care about HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, that certainly helps, I also know my history, this is the first time Sony has actually managed to win a format war (Betamax, Minidisc, ect) and finally Sony's cross platform conversion only worked once and that was limited.

JB1981

Sean said:
Good on Toshiba for being sensible and cutting their losses instead of dragging this out further.

Just hope this means the prices will come down for Blu-Ray hardware and software. I can understand the players being more expensive but the software should be priced the same as DVD's. I own a PS3 but haven't been buying any BD's because they're just so damn expensive.
there's been ample opportunity on sites like amazon for relatively inexpensive purchases.

Xater

Shard said:
I honestly don't care about HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, that certainly helps, I also know my history, this is the first time Sony has actually managed to win a format war (

What? Don't you forget this little insignificant format called Compact Disc?:lol

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
grandjedi6 said:
So Blu-ray won? I'm not up to date with all these DVD format wars. I'm probably not going to even upgrade from DVD for 5-10 more years

Really? When you can pick up a player that plays your DVD's and BluRay for $30 you won't take the plunge? They should be that cheap in about 3-4 years, certainly sub $100 in 2 years. I don't see why you wouldn't want to start making your future movie purchases on BluRay when the prices reach parity with DVD.

elseanio

Manics said:
I knew this was inevitable when my brother bought an HD-DVD player. I told him to wait.

I pleaded with my friend to not buy a HD-DVD player at Christmas. I just couldn't get across that the PS3 really is one of the best Blu-Ray players around. He was having none of it! Oh well :D

I hope that BDs come down themselves. I know it puts people off when they see the Blu-Ray shelves filled with discs from £25, even £30.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kyodo News info via cnnmoney:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200802160902DOWJONESDJONLINE000335_FORTUNE5.htm

Kyodo cited unidentified industry sources as saying that Toshiba was reviewing its operations, with the timing of the withdrawal to be decided later, depending on U.S. demand for its HD DVD products and other factors.

I wonder if they'll delay making it official until they've sold as much hardware as they think they can sell..then again, with all these reports out there, you'd think potential new hardware sales would be drying up fast.

Anyway, this also leaves us with the interesting question of when Paramount/Universal will announce 'something' and what that something will be.

Dever

Banned
catfish said:
ooooh.

Is this bad news for x360? They just got outsold by sony for the first time this month in the console space as well.

It's not really bad news for 360, it's more like good news for Ps3. Unless you count that as bad news for 360.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dever said:
It's not really bad news for 360, it's more like good news for Ps3. Unless you count that as bad news for 360.

Considering how much of an afterthought that HD-DVD player was, it really doesn't effect the Xbox 360 all that much.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well, it reflects badly on 360 in so far as it highlights another unfortunate aspect of the 360 media strategy that's been molded, and limited, purely by Microsoft's policies and politics rather than the interests of the user.

I guess also that there were some 360 fans who bought into HD-DVD only because of the 360 add-on, for whom MS's endorsement might mean less next time around. MS sure has been tested some loyalties lately.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
gofreak said:
Well, it reflects badly on 360 in so far as it highlights another unfortunate aspect of the 360 media strategy that's been molded, and limited, purely by Microsoft's policies and politics rather than the interests of the user.

I guess also that there were some 360 fans who bought into HD-DVD only because of the 360 add-on, for whom MS's endorsement might mean less next time around. MS sure has been tested some loyalties lately.

Or they wait for that Microsoft Blu-Ray Player to come out since even they were hedgeing thier bets on this format war.

spwolf

gofreak said:

when did MS ever care about its previous products - except for their Windows software division, which I truly respect as I had to work with them and they go above and beyond, they showed with Xbox and Zune that they dont have problems with simply cutting off their old customers and not caring what happens.

Sony did win this one and it increases tremendusly the value of Blu-Ray in the eyes of the customer. And of course, more free PR for Sony.

oneHeero

ElectricBlue187 said:
i mean sales wise, still hasn't caught on like DVD or VHS did

for the record= i have neither player and have no plans to support any High Definition Digital Video Player
How does it feel to watchign HD cont.... O wait, SD 4 LIFE!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shard said:
Or they wait for that Microsoft Blu-Ray Player to come out since even they were hedgeing thier bets on this format war.

Those would have been the wise ones, yeah - people who I'm sure have been frustrated by the lack of ability to make the right choice for themselves, rather than have MS make that choice for them, a choice that was obviously going to turn out to be the wrong one, by MS's refusal to date to put out a BD add-on. Hopefully they'll get one sooner rather than later now.

But in the mean time there are how ever many thousand users out there, some of whom will be happy with their purchase regardless, but some who genuinely believed MS had HD-DVD's future at heart and believed in its longevity because of MS's endorsement - for those people, I'm sure their loyalty is a little more strained as a result of things like this.

The reality is, MS threw themselves onto HD-DVD in a rather desperate attempt to slow Blu-ray (and by proxy PS3), knowing that it would really only frustrate and slow BD's progress rather than cement HD-DVD as a viable standard. But of course, they didn't tell their userbase that, and so they took some naive consumers with them, people who I'd say are a bit pissed off right now.

spwolf said:
when did MS ever care about its previous products - except for their Windows software division

This is what I was alluding to with my "bound to policy and politics" remark about the media strategy on 360. It is dictated by Windows and MS politics in general, and then is to the detriment of its appeal IMO.

Tobor

Well, I guess now we'll find out how much actual demand there is for a DVD replacement. Until now its been hard to guage how much of the lack of consumer interest was due to multiple format confusion.

spwolf

gofreak said:
This is what I was alluding to with my "bound to policy and politics" remark about the media strategy on 360. It is dictated by Windows and MS politics in general, and then is to the detriment of its appeal IMO.

It is not the same - for Windows Vista, MS went above and beyond to make sure apps work if that was possible. Forget the FUD you see on blogs, they went above and beyond.

For Zune2 they took out support for Play4Sure that their Zune1 users purchased from their store. I can not believe they got away with that. Its preposterous. Same like simply cutting of Xbox games.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah. only logical move; it made no sense to stretch the war too much and losing more than what they already were going to lose. Well played.

spwolf

Tobor said:
Well, I guess now we'll find out how much actual demand there is for a DVD replacement. Until now its been hard to guage how much of the lack of consumer interest was due to multiple format confusion.

i think we had data from jan sales 2007 vs 2008, and BD movie sales went up by 4x. So yeah.

spwolf said:
For Zune2 they took out support for Play4Sure that their Zune1 users purchased from their store. I can not believe they got away with that. Its preposterous. Same like simply cutting of Xbox games.

eh?

The Zune has never supported Plays4Sure. That was known about far before the Zune launched. And the firmware update when the Zune 80/8/4 was released was also available for the older Zune 30 models. Every current model of the Zune has the same software support. Never mind the fact that the standard software for any mp3 player...uh...mp3's, have always worked just fine no matter what.

This doesn't make sense at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom