• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

where is the opoona hype?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
opoogeta.png

Amir0x

Banned
because it looks, sounds and apparently plays awfully?

what other reason is there for hyping this up I should know about?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
ICallItFutile said:
Didn't they say it was an RPG for 5 year olds?

Only positive thing I remember being said was that the combat was okay...

the combat gets incredibly boring (dixit mr bettenhausen) and it's very simplistic. he kinda felt sorry for the game.

we should have a seperate mp3 of that Opoona talk, I couldn't keep a straight face as long as it lasted. it's hilarious

my hate for Opoona comes from the first time they announced it. I fucking hate him. Opoona himself, I mean, assuming that's his name. Now, I don't even care about the game (the fact it's mediocre at best doesn't help), it's just that I will never play a game in which I am a big testicle with a smaller testicle floating on it

Ranger X

There's unique third party content on the Wii that is super interesting but Opoona never rang a bell with me. Sorry!

stewacide

I've never been able to get into turn-based RPGs: the furthest I've gotten is half way through FF7.

...but I think it was on 1up Yours that whoever was reviewing Opoona said it was 'an old-school JRPG for beginners' or something like that, which made me think maybe it would be a good introduction to the genre? Particularily since they said the controls and battle system were simple, the graphics are nice, and the music is outstanding.

Haunted

I like Opoona because he's Bildi's avatar.

I guess it'll be another Dewy's Adventure. A solid 7/10, but utterly forgotten in a year or so.

edit: and as much as I like 1up and the 1up show, I reeeally wouldn't base my hype on a Wii RPG on a comment made on their podcast. :lol

birdchili

i do love how it looks - especially the monster designs. it's also apparently challenging, which is getting too rare in this genre. sucks that it didn't end up better, but i'm probably going to grab it on the assumption that most will hate more than i.

static camera shall drive me nuts.

bh7812

Banned
I will admit, when I saw the first screen shots for this I wasn't too impressed. And this is coming from someone who's played a LOT of RPGs too. However, I watched a few gameplay videos last week and just the few I saw changed my mind. I'm definitely gonna get this and give it a chance. It sure sounds like it's got an outstanding soundtrack. Cute kids-y games have never bothered me in the least. In fact I enjoy a lot of the more laid back, lighthearted RPGs and such.

Here's what I'd say..if you're interested, even mildly in checking it out at least rent it. You might change your mind and decide you at least like it and maybe buy it. But even if you don't buy it you might find you at least enjoyed it during the rental. I've found you can't truly judge a game until you've really sat down and spent time with it. Watching a few videos isn't a good judge of a game overall.

The thing that bothers me most about game reviewers is how much stock people take in them. I believe people should decide for themselves, based on what kinds of games they like and enjoy, what to buy. It's ok to base the decision somewhat on a review but the majority of it should be based on how you feel about the game. Read up on it, watch some videos and read some import impressions if it's already out in Japan so you have all the pieces necessary to make a decision. But don't base your gaming decisions solely on a review. I personally don't base most of my decisions on reviews.

Anyway, I look forward to playing this on Wednesday and am not bothered by the mediocre reception in the least. It looks like a decent game.

I think it looks pretty interesting, it sort of reminds me of Paper Mario in that it seems ultra-simplistic, but has (or at least seems to have) a fair bit of depth beneath the surface.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think it's 80% main character design and 20% lack of communication about the depth of story (if any). Any remaining apathy for this game has to be concern about battle mechanics (do we really just tilt the nunchuck? sounds kinda lame honestly. i'm much rather just pound Z!). the enemies look fantastic and the environs look really deep, but honestly, this game really looks like a first effort from people that used to be on a different, but better, team. Maybe this is the Wii's Blue Dragon?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ethelred said:
There is no hype, nor should there be. There never should have been any to begin with.

i distinctly remember you saying that you were interested in this game this game seemed cool and had potential. not saying that you were correct, nor that it deserved your interest, just keeping you honest.

ethelred

PantherLotus said:
i distinctly remember you saying that you were interested in this game. not saying that you were correct, nor that it deserved your interest, just keeping you honest.

Check post #3 in your own "official hype thread."

And yes, the game had some potential, and it had some interesting artwork (a given, since it was being made by an art design company). Many games have potential. Not many of them are worthy of being genuinely hyped up, and this one wasn't.

'Preciate your efforts to keep me honest, though. I think I can manage on my own.

PolyGone

Banned
I'm interested, but not hyped. I guess it just doesn't have the hype factor going for it. And it doesn't get a free pass just because its (really) the first actual RPG on the system.

As a Wii whore and RPG fan, I should've at least known it was releasing in this half before this thread. Unsuccess, Koei.

ethelred said:
There is no hype, nor should there be. There never should have been any to begin with.
Lack of hype leads to lack of sales leads to ethelred posts about how early poor PS2 RPGs found more success.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
Lack of hype leads to lack of sales leads to ethelred posts about how early poor PS2 RPGs found more success.

Golly, Josh. I wasn't here then. Could you key me in on how much hype there was on GAF for Evergrace, Eternal Ring, Me & Satan King, and Dark Cloud 1?

Top Bottom