• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II - first details!

-SD-

Banned
2K Games announced on April 11th that there will be a simultaneous release for all three platforms: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/38023/Mafia-II-Simultaneous-Release-Announced-Screenshots

2K Games announced today that Mafia II, the sequel to the award-winning classic that has sold more than 2 million units worldwide, is currently in development for simultaneous release on PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system and Games For Windows platforms.
- - -

http://games.tiscali.cz/news/news.asp?id=26917

Mafia 2 first details (7.4.2008 01:01)

* Two main heroes with completely different characters: although you'll only be able to play as Vito, the other (named Joe) will play an important part in the story, not being limited to a supporting role.
* Not a direct sequel / no story connectivity; in fact, you won't have to know the first game.
* Extensive car damage, with physical destruction model supposedly even more detailed and prettier than the one from the acclaimed Burnout Paradise (according to the journalists at press presentation) with damaged car body, broken glass or exploding gas tanks.

* Not only you'll have to stop at gas stations for refueling your car, but you'll also be able to undergo a car wash and hence get rid of all the dust that your car has been picking.
* Money important for shopping (new clothes to get rid of pursuers) or visiting restaurants, which is where you'll have your hero strengthen up a bit by eating some (similar as in GTA San Andreas).
* Pastel colors and an art style at times reminding of BioShock.
* Confirmed the presence of Gears of War-like cover system, as suggested by recent screenshot.

* Story beginning shortly before the end of the World War II, which is when Vito comes back from war duty at Europe.
* Set in a fictional American city Empire City with size around 10 km2 (about twice as big as built-up area in original Lost Heaven city from the first Mafia) with tens of unique quarters, inspired mostly by San Francisco.
* Release date still wasn't specified, but the journalists are expecting the game to ship in late spring/summer 2009.

* Lead platforms X360/PS3, while the PC version should launch supposedly weeks or months afterwards, although this too could change depending on the current state of the gaming market.

This made me sad. :(

-SD-

Banned
830920 said:
* Lead platforms X360/PS3, while the PC version should launch supposedly weeks or months afterwards, although this too could change depending on the current state of the gaming market.
This made me sad. :(
2K Games announced on April 11th that there will be a simultaneous release for all three platforms: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/38023/Mafia-II-Simultaneous-Release-Announced-Screenshots

2K Games announced today that Mafia II, the sequel to the award-winning classic that has sold more than 2 million units worldwide, is currently in development for simultaneous release on PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system and Games For Windows platforms.
More info: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17069
- Story is primary objective for developers and everything is derivated from it.
- 2 hours of cut-scenes.
- First Mafia was full of cool gangsters and everyone was simply good or bad, Mafia II will be more dramatic, realistic and darker.
- Important relation between Vito and Joe.
- Black humour in Godfellas style.
- Empire City is inspired by New York and San Francisco, 4x4 km, 20 architectonic different districts with maximum accent to details.
- City dominants - Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge, Golden Gate - all of these buildings will be seen on long distance = orientation points.
- Every night is lit up with different packs of windows on each building .
- People on street will do more actions (take taxis etc.).
- Big interiors (foundry, observatory etc.).
- No loading screen in Empire city: city will load continously during play (also in interiors - you can look through the window and see real happenings on the street).
- Something like respect meter.
- You can listen to radio in cars (news, music..).
- Journalists was shocked by sophisticated car damage system.
- There will be about 80 different car models in Mafia II.
- The game has been in development for almost 5 years, or "almost as long as it took Bungie to release three Halo games".
- The animations in the game are incredible. There are 122 different animation spots in every humans face.
- The plan is not to be in the shadow of GTA IV. They're going to revolutionize the genre. "Our game is serious".
- "This is a playable movie. A playable, interactive gangster flick, a linear game, extremely story-heavy and with a more serious and mature tone than any other game in the genre. Including the first Mafia."
- 2K Czech thinks that more games are focusing on the scale of the gamingworld. The bigger the better. 2K Czech however, is going the opposite way, by making Mafia II 70% of the first game's area.
- The graphics engine that is running Mafia II has taken nearly 5 years to develop. The details in the game are on the same level as Crysis.
- The story is centered around Vitor Scarletta. Home from the war, where he got hurt badly, and with not that much money, he and his friend Jerry Barbaro go on a crime spree. Before Vitor knows what happened, he is doing work for one of the city's mob families.
- Empire City is modeled after New York and San Fransisco.
- It is mentioned far too many times to say that Mafia 2 is looking absolutely stunning.

GamesRadar: Mafia II - First look: http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/mafia-...k/a-2008040918385584054/g-2007082111555365089

GamesRadar: Mafia II - Meet the goons: http://www.gamesradar.com/f/mafia-ii-meet-the-goons/a-200804111125955038

Ventrue

-SD- said:
- 2K Czech thinks that more games are focusing on the scale of the gamingworld. The bigger the better. 2K Czech however, is going the opposite way, by making Mafia II 70% of the first game's area.
- Empire City is inspired by New York and San Francisco, 4x4 km

Huh?

eso76

This makes me happy ! means what we've seen so far is probably from console versions

expected late sprint/summer 2009

not THIS makes me sad

dLMN8R

- The plan is not to be in the shadow of GTA 4. They're going to revolutionize the genre. "Our game is serious".
- "This is a playable movie. A playable, interactive gangterflick, a linear game, extremely storyheavy and with a more serious and mature tone than any other game in the genre. Including the first Mafia.
- 2K Czech thinks that all more games are focusing on the scale of the gamingworld. The bigger the better. 2K Czech however, is going the opposite way, by making Mafia 2 70% of the first game's area.
So basically, exactly what Grand Theft Auto 4 is going for? I have no idea which of these two games will be better - of course no one does - but to be completely ignorant about what your competition is attempting certainly doesn't inspire confidence. Everything I've read and listened to from people who have actually played GTA 4 says that the story is much darker, far more serious, and that while the game world is much smaller than San Andreas, it's far more dense.

-The animations iin the game are incredible. There are 122 different animationsspots in every humans face.
- The Graphic Engine that is running Mafia 2 has taken nearly 5 years to develop. The details in the game are on the same level as Crysis.
- It is mentioned far to many times to say, that Mafia 2 is looking absolutely stunning

I'll believe it when I see it. Grand Theft Auto 4 demonstrates yet another time that, while you can make an open-world game look amazing on incredibly ram-limited consoles, they're simply no match visually to more constrained, linear games like Gears of War. Plus, "details on the same level as Crysis" is a very objective statement, for an aspect of the game that's entirely subjective. From a purely technical standpoint, it would be literally impossible to pull off "detals on the same level as Crysis" because of ram limitations alone. Maybe the game looks good for other reasons, but again, I'll believe it when I see it.

Or maybe they're just talking about the PC version?

Sule

Did anybody already mention that this game is awesome... it seems someone has, nice. Again. I would like to encourage people to play the first game. It still looks good today and once you've played it you'll understand why you need to be hyped for this game. GTA is fucking awesome, yes. This game is awesome in it's own way. The more you play the it the less you compare it with GTA.

Core407

Banned
Sule said:
Did anybody already mention that this game is awesome... it seems someone has, nice. Again. I would like to encourage people to play the first game. It still looks good today and once you've played it you'll understand why you need to be hyped for this game. GTA is fucking awesome, yes. This game is awesome in it's own way. The more you play the it the less you compare it with GTA.

I've got all my faith in this one but they've got a really high benchmark to reach with this one. The first one is still the top open-world game out there.

from pc version from gamersyde

1358_0001.jpg

1358_0002.jpg

1358_0003.jpg

1358_0004.jpg

JDSN

Banned
Its really the first time I say this, but with GTAIV and stuff like this coming soon I've just now realized it..."Next gen is here" :D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's pretty but it doesn't give me a 1950s vibe (or whenever this is set into). Probably all the bloom.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
The first mafia had an amazing story so i am happy that their focus is in creating a compelling tale this time too.

NeonBlade

Banned
I found the first Mafia to be excellent, although GTA has officially burned me on Sandbox games with their rancid mechanics, I might actually give Mafia a shot, since Rockstar is not suckering me into another Grand Theft Auto purchase. Then again they don't need me, they have millions of lemmings lining up and the zealots to over rate the game from the get go.

Mafia will slip under the radar, but I'll pick it up.

NeonBlade said:
I found the first Mafia to be excellent, although GTA has officially burned me on Sandbox games with their rancid mechanics, I might actually give Mafia a shot, since Rockstar is not suckering me into another Grand Theft Auto purchase. Then again they don't need me, they have millions of lemmings lining up and the zealots to over rate the game from the get go.

wow, wrong thread there buddy...

Jesus this game looks sexy as hell. Kinda glad it's a year off, that way it won't be buried under all the other sandbox games coming out this year. I want a Mafia 3 already damnit.
NeonBlade said:

Ugh I know fucking shepple. God why can't they play some real games from glorious Nippon?!

inthezone said:
Looks better than GTA4.
I think it's best to hold the final judgment off until you can make definite console vs. console screenshot comparisons, I'm guessing many of the released screens are from the PC version.

MWS Natural said:
I think it's best to hold the final judgment off until you can make definite console vs. console screenshot comparisons, I'm guessing many of the released screens are from the PC version.

This game will look leagues better (PC to PC comparison).

Spoit

The texture detail on those shots is insane. I hesitate to call them bullshots though, because there's aliasing and some boxy background geometry

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
There is not enough hype for this game, looking three times better then GTA IV!

Also new gorgeous shot and some olders ones not in this thread:

53971.jpg

53509.jpg

53211.jpg

nelsonroyale said:
This looks great...what are the differences between this series and the GTA series??
Mafia was set in an age where cars were slow and handled poorly (40/50's, I think). It featured a more traditional mafia story - Godfather style.

It did a good job of conveying a real sense of time and place (which GTA also does well).

It's been a while, sorry I can't be more descriptive. Mostly I remember that I loved it.

Kobold

nelsonroyale said:
This looks great...what are the differences between this series and the GTA series??

The unique setting mainly, also the combat system was different, but seems like it will be similar tihs time around. Possibly without the 'lock-on' stuff.

Driving those 40's automobiles was pretty fun and seeing the city in that timeframe is awesome, not to mention a great story! Personally pretty stoked about this, since it's so unique in setting and graphical fidelity.

Kobold said:
The unique setting mainly, also the combat system was different, but seems like it will be similar tihs time around. Possibly without the 'lock-on' stuff.

Driving those 40's automobiles was pretty fun and seeing the city in that timeframe is awesome, not to mention a great story! Personally pretty stoked about this, since it's so unique in setting and graphical fidelity.
Also, I think the cops pulled you over for speeding. Maybe I remember that cars were slow because I always had the speed limiter on :lol

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
nelsonroyale said:

It's difficult to explain without making it sound boring.

But basically this would never happen in Mafia:

20080502.jpg

The game world isn't built for fun, it's built for immersion.

So unlike GTA where the story begins and ends with the cut scenes because you can do whatever the fuck you like once they are finished. Mafia treats the game world and the cut scene world as the same, very realistic, place.

Kobold

Revengeance said:
Also, I think the cops pulled you over for speeding. Maybe I remember that cars were slow because I always had the speed limiter on :lol

Haha indeed, oh shit I remeber that now I had that on all the time except for the few missions you really had to be fast. It was far more realistic in that way!

Top Bottom