• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II - first details!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
v1cious said:
wow, that really does look like GTAIV.
It looks more like Max Payne to me.

1358_0001.jpg

mp2.jpg

Except with better textures, which is pretty impressive for a sandbox game. It's already looking much better than GTAIV (the character close-ups were not flattering in that game).

Flunkie

Banned
Can't wait! This game looks amazing.

Oh, and the tidbit about damage modeling - I think the new standard is GTA IV's car damage. I was so much more impressed with it than Burnout Paradise's modeling.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
@screen

HAWT

edit: @the guy above me...

Dude. Mafia is the best sandbox game ever released. You best watch your tongue with that GTA4 talk.

Timber

DeaconKnowledge said:
Question:

how does this look to me much different from GTA IV outside of the setting? Everything we've heard about this game has been done by GTA.
That's nonsense. The original Mafia is basically a linear action that just happens to take place in a sandbox environment. There's no side missions outside of jacking one or two cars and it had narrative high on its list of priorities before GTA ever did.

Of all the games to accuse of ripping off the GTA series, Mafia is not one of them. I highly suggest you play the first game before asking more such brilliant questions.

Zenith

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Question:

how does this look to me much different from GTA IV outside of the setting? Everything we've heard about this game has been done by GTA.

Mafia development started before gta3.

Capoeira

The new pic gives me hope that they're adding clutter to the environment. It's a small, inconsequential detail but it makes a huge difference to the atmosphere.

I can't believe we won't be seeing this game until next year. Judging by the quality of the screens released so far, this game already looks complete. It makes me wonder what exactly they're working on at the moment and why they think it won't be done for at least half a year.

Haunted

DeaconKnowledge said:
Question:

Mafia > GTA III
Mafia II > GTA IV

simple.

pr0cs

From a technical standpoint I think GTA4 will be difficult to beat but what I do hope is that Mafia2 can build a compelling story like the first game. A story that is consistent from start to finish, something that GTA4 doesn't have.
It's going to be hard to look at sandbox games the same without Euphoria.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
BobsRevenge said:
Dude. Mafia is the best sandbox game ever released. You best watch your tongue with that GTA4 talk.

what? Mafia barely even qualifies as a sandbox game.

Open world != Sandbox

Think I'm gonna have to duck out of this thread the hyperbole over Mafia is out of control.

you guys have to remember that the first mafia got the best graphics award for all games when it came out because of the fact it looked so good in such a big environment, and its gameplay was already steller, I think its the same case again

On the question on what they are still working on ? framerate im assuming

Ploid 3.0

I'm selling GTA4 for this. It seems like they will at least one up gta sa and not hold back. I will now start my research on this game. 5 years in the making, didn't plan to be in gta's shodow, expect to revolutionise the genre? Count me interested. I look so pretty too. If it's 30fps locked I might get choked up.

verio

BobsRevenge said:
@screen

HAWT

edit: @the guy above me...

So true.

Mafia > GTA

X26

Banned
Can't wait. First one was awesome and the second looks to be building onto what the first did so well, especially the atmosphere.

Sylar

Banned
Damn, my PC won't be able to run it :(. Really don't want to play on Consoles.

Please knock this out of the park Illusion. I want to love it so much like I loved Mafia 1.

Anyone know what city it takes place in? Lost Heaven or a new one?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I wasn't impressed by euphoria in GTA4. :(
Tell me what you are impressed by!

I'm just saying there was too much hype for euphoria, and in the end, I wasn't really impressed, but anyway, physics isn't at the top of list for me when it comes to technology. Sorry.

-SD-

Banned
Two extremely impressive in-engine screens: http://www.mafia2game.com/community_features.html

mafia2game.com said:
Roman Hladik, Lead Artist at 2K Czech, talks about two more pieces of art today built right from the game's engine. I'm sure by now you'll recognize these two faces.

Roman Hladik: This is an arranged screenshot created directly in editor tool. It's a simple image with Vito and Joe. They don't really like visits by the photographer -- which is why they look so annoyed.

Roman Hladik: This is another arranged screenshot created directly in editor tool. Joe's in this picture -- of course you know him by now -- and he's wearing his favourite clothes -- a comfortable sporty jacket and his Hawaiian shirt. Joe doesn't like clubby suits.
If those are really what we'll see in the game then... :O

painey

damn, the bullshots look so much better than the xboxworld screen, but it still looks tasty. I just hope it has a story as good as #1.

HiResDes

Ghost said:
what? Mafia barely even qualifies as a sandbox game.

Open world != Sandbox

Think I'm gonna have to duck out of this thread the hyperbole over Mafia is out of control.
No no kind sir, the hyperbole over my wang is out of control.

HiResDes

painey said:
damn, the bullshots look so much better than the xboxworld screen, but it still looks tasty. I just hope it has a story as good as #1.
I don't think they are bullshots whatsoever, are you forgetting how great GTAIV looked (especially on PC) and even Table Tennis, and this game is probably going to be utilizing an upgraded/modded version of the Rage engine.

Decado

Shit. I thought this thread was bumped because there was new info :(

I hope GTA doesn't influence this game a lot. Some of the new features sound pretty crappy.

yodajones said:
Is there a firm release date for MAFIA ii?
No.

Nice preview up at IGN now.

I like this 'tip of the hat' to Rockstar:
Moving outside (without any obvious loading, we might add), Vito heads to his personal garage and picks out the car he wants to use tonight. He picks out a stylish Shubert Beverly, a powerful V8 and one of fifty authentic vehicles in the game. Pulling out of the garage, he sees Vito's prostitute get into a car accident with a short-fused greaser. He gets out and starts threatening her and demanding that she pay for the damages on the spot. Vito has the option now of getting out and intervening or simply letting the situation play out on its own. If he gets out, he'll get into a fight with the greaser.

The combat controls are very simple but allow for lots of variety. The player has access to a light and heavy attack and an evasion. While that may not sound like much, it allows for some context-sensitive moves that really highlight the brutal, but not unrealistic combat in Mafia 2. The fights here look more like real streetfights than drawn-out, over-choreographed Hollywood fights. After Vito knocks the greaser out, the grateful prostitute offers to reward him with a "cup of coffee." Much as we might like to have seen this particular scenario play out, Vito promised to see her later and hopped back into his car, cranked up the Bobby Darin, and headed to Giuseppe's.
:lol

Top Bottom