• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II - first details!

10 new images:
http://www.xboxygen.com/Medias/Images-Xbox-360/Mafia-2-trafique-en-images

Mafia_2_55.jpg

Mafia_2_59.jpg

Mafia_2_53.jpg

Mafia_2_56.jpg

Mafia_2_52.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, the animation and acting in the cutscenes looks like uncharted-quality. I loved the first one, this could very well be an even better experience.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Can't wait for this...first Mafia is still one of my all time fav games on PC.

On an unrelated to this game side note....

Why does the Gametrailers "birth year" thing go all the way to 1900?

Are there really 109 year old people needing to watch vids there? :lol

mattiewheels said:
Man, the animation and acting in the cutscenes looks like uncharted-quality. I loved the first one, this could very well be an even better experience.
oh man, uncharted quality? :O there's still time to take this back. I can delete your quoted post, just let me know!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Joseph Merrick said:
oh man, uncharted quality? :O there's still time to take this back. I can delete your quoted post, just let me know!
...from the youtube clip on my iphone it did...? i think they really did something special from what i saw...on my iphone...

Core407

Banned
People who never played the first around the time of its release can't truly understand how great of a game it was and if this manages to even match it, it's going to sell like hotcakes. Mafia was under appreciated and eventually caught on but at that point, it had aged a bit and the whole luster of it was slightly worn. Still incredibly enjoyable but you can't get the whole experience when it's been outperformed by new tech.

Aesius

This will be phenomenal. After playing Mafia I, it's safe to say that the devs aren't fucking around when it comes to making these games.

Arnie

Why did this game have to be delayed? It would have been perfect for an October release if they could have just got the polish right. I understand if they needed more time to polish it, but if they delayed it because of heavy competition, they would probably be worse off releasing it next year. So many games have been delayed that early next year looks to be an epic software lineup.

I have to say, bear in mind Mafia is one of my favourite games of all time, this looks absolutely phenomenal.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
2K Czech are gods. I cannot wait for this game.

Is Red Dead Revolution coming out this year? That may satisfy my open world needs until Mafia 2 comes out.

Darth Sonik said:
2K Czech are gods. I cannot wait for this game.

I'm a big fan of their work on Hidden & Dangerous as well as Mafia when they were Illusion Softworks. Those games are going back a fair ways though... how much of the team is the same?

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
endlessflood said:
I'm a big fan of their work on Hidden & Dangerous as well as Mafia when they were Illusion Softworks. Those games are going back a fair ways though... how much of the team is the same?

Of course I meant Illusion Softworks (now 2K Czech) are gods. Corporate re-branding has beaten me down, it appears. :D

I'm pretty sure most of the team is still there. Certainly the most of the main people behind Mafia are working on Mafia 2.

Pachimari

My best friend joined 2K Czech last year to work on the last mission of Mafia II. He is 20 years old and was responsible for the parts you see in the E3 trailer as well.

I can't wait. Primarily because the first one were great, secondly because my best friend is working on it.

onken

Eh, I dunno. I loved Mafia but I'm getting a bad vibe for some reason from the gameplay footage. I hope there's a demo or something.

Crin

I bought the original for 50p in the bargain bin on a whim about 6 years ago and it's still one of my top 5 games ever. So hyped for the sequal. If the writing quality is as good as the first there will be 2 Mafia games in my top 5.

Vagabundo

Nice pics. The first one never really grabbed me, but I could smell that sweet fresh smell of polish from the game.

This looks like it has gone there and beyond. In some ways it reminds me of the getaway; I loved limping around in that game and having to take breathers, if I remember right Mafia 1 was somewhat similar.

Anastacio said:
My best friend joined 2K Czech last year to work on the last mission of Mafia II. He is 20 years old and was responsible for the parts you see in the E3 trailer as well.

I can't wait. Primarily because the first one were great, secondly because my best friend is working on it.

Have you asked if the ending part is as awesome as the original game?
The
fight at the museum with all the blood money falling
was incredible.

What im seeing (or better, hearing) right now is just fucking awesome music in the game.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Vagabundo said:
Nice pics. The first one never really grabbed me, but I could smell that sweet fresh smell of polish from the game.

This looks like it has gone there and beyond. In some ways it reminds me of the getaway; I loved limping around in that game and having to take breathers, if I remember right Mafia 1 was somewhat similar.

Yeah in the same way that a lawnmower and a Ferrari are four wheeled machines. :D

Unless you meant the Mafia console ports which were like a rusted up 70's Fiat.

HiResDes

Core407 said:
People who never played the first around the time of its release can't truly understand how great of a game it was and if this manages to even match it, it's going to sell like hotcakes. Mafia was under appreciated and eventually caught on but at that point, it had aged a bit and the whole luster of it was slightly worn. Still incredibly enjoyable but you can't get the whole experience when it's been outperformed by new tech.
I could never get pass the rooftop part where you have a bunch of cops chasing from every angle and each of them seems to be an elite sharpshooter

HiResDes said:
I could never get pass the rooftop part where you have a bunch of cops chasing from every angle and each of them seems to be an elite sharpshooter

Do you mean right after you
whack the hooker? Or do you mean the part later on when you use the Mosin-Nagant from the roof of the abandoned building to assassinate the mayor while he's giving a speech?
. If it's the latter one then there weren't any real tricks, apart from making sure that you ditched all weapons before stepping out onto the street. I'm trying to think of places where I got stuck, and apart from the last mission there weren't any real brick walls. Then again I played post racing-patch :D

Anastacio said:

Get some more details out of him about the game.

NOW

HiResDes

endlessflood said:
Do you mean right after you
whack the hooker? Or do you mean the part later on when you use the Mosin-Nagant from the roof of the abandoned building to assassinate the mayor while he's giving a speech?
. If it's the latter one then there weren't any real tricks, apart from making sure that you ditched all weapons before stepping out onto the street. I'm trying to think of places where I got stuck, and apart from the last mission there weren't any real brick walls. Then again I played post racing-patch :D
...After you whack the hooker.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Love the art style. The lighting seems really nice also.

Behind uncharted 2 this is my most anticipated game.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Those videos look fucking amazing.

Dennis

Banned
Can't wait to see what this will look like on my PC.

Why on earth don't they release some PC footage at 1920x1200 or something to show off. Makes no sense to me, yeah the file would me massive but just put it out as a torrent or something. I dont understand why developers put out these shitty low rez videos.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
pvpness said:
So is the main draw of this game the story? Is there as much to do as in, say, Saints Row 2?
Yes story, No SR2. Completely different game on so many levels.

What the dudes mean in the interviews is that random people on the streets have things to do for you. I wouldn't expect an insane amount of side missions like in SR2 though, maybe something on the level of GTA4, maybe a bit more?
Also, if I understood correctly, a certain amount of side missions will be tied to your current main mission in some way. So, yeah. Story first.

pvpness said:
So is the main draw of this game the story? Is there as much to do as in, say, Saints Row 2?

It's closer to Uncharted/Gears than to GTA or SR really.

The music from the first game remains among the best I've ever come across. The radio stuff is excellent period fare, and the dramatic music during missions is bloody perfect.

Ardorx

Banned
This series might have the best directed and acted cut scenes in any game(The original had one of the best openings Ive ever seen and it was so simple too). They might even be the best written, actually. A true mobster experience like in The Godfather.

Hopefully the driving wont be fuck awful in the sequel.

Purkake4

Banned
The driving in the first game was redeemed by being able to shoot wheels of off cars. There was one mission where a dude was going to escape with a car parked outside his house, so you shot the wheels off before going in and when he tried to escape hilarity ensued.

Take that GTA!

Ardorx

Banned
Also, I'm still amazed at how good Mafia still looks. Maybe it's because I have the PC version but compared to GTA3 it's like night and day.

Top Bottom