• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II - first details!

Bluecondor

Interesting clothing video.

It says that video is from 1/10/2010. I wonder why the guy was all "This is an upcoming game whose title has not been announced yet...." when it's pretty clear that it is the same character that has been in every Mafia II trailer for the past year or so.

pr0cs

Bluecondor said:
Interesting clothing video.

It says that video is from 1/10/2010. I wonder why the guy was all "This is an upcoming game whose title has not been announced yet...." when it's pretty clear that it is the same character that has been in every Mafia II trailer for the past year or so.
who knows when the actual content of the video was recorded though, could have been from eons ago but they only recently uploaded it

Dyno

Looks like the game will have great atmosphere. I've never played a game that takes place in the post-war era. Looking forward to it.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Been a while since we've heard anything from 2K Czech. I was hoping to have a solid release date by now. They did release a few new screenshots, but nothing major. No wonder nobody is talking about Mafia 2, they're not promoting it much at all.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
There's gonna be a new trailer on Thursday's GTTV. Can't wait. It's been forever since there were any updates. Maybe we'll even get a release date.

Hanmik

PR just released:

2K Games Announces August 24, 2010 North American Street Date for Mafia® II
Epic mobster video game combines rich storytelling with the style and vices of the ’40s and ’50s for high-stakes third-person shooter
New York, NY – March 25, 2010 – 2K Games announced today that Mafia® II will be available in North America on August 24, 2010 and internationally on August 27, 2010 for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and Windows PC. Mafia II is currently in development by 2K Czech, the same creative team behind the award-winning, genre-defining Mafia®, which captivated millions of gamers around the world.

Through a compelling narrative, Mafia II transports gamers into the dark and unforgiving world of the Mafia. The fiction is embellished by a sophisticated, era-evoking atmosphere that meticulously replicates the clothing, cars, music and advertising of 1940’s and 1950’s Americana. Players will easily become immersed in the game’s cinematic Hollywood-style experience with strong, believable characters in a living, breathing metropolis. By fusing high-octane gunplay with white-knuckle driving and an engaging narrative, Mafia II looks to be the industry’s most compelling Mafia title to date. According to IGN.com, “Mafia II is definitely at the top of our most wanted lists.”

Born the son of a poor immigrant, Vito is a beaten down Italian-American who is trying to escape the life of poverty that consumed his childhood. Vito, along with his lifelong friend, Joe, will descend into the world of organized crime. Looking to escape the life of hardship that his father led, Vito dreams about becoming a “made man,” and together with Joe, will work to prove themselves to the Mafia as they try to make their names on the streets. However, the two quickly realize that life as a wise guy isn’t quite as glamorous as it seems.

Additionally, Mafia II will be playable by the public for the first time at the Penny Arcade Expo East (PAX East) being held at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston, Massachusetts from March 26 – March 28 at the 2K Games booth (booth #103).

Mafia II is rated M for Mature by the ESRB. For more information on Mafia II, please visit www.mafia2game.com.
2K Games is a division of 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yes I finally have another date to circle on my calender. Gotta run to amazon and pre-order now. I should probably wait to find out what pre-order bonuses there will be though huh?

Thanks for the update Hanmik..

Most anticipated game this year for me!!!

edit: Man I wish I could go to PAX. Hopefully we will see some good quality vids of the playable sections shown at PAX.

Zoso

RbBrdMan said:
Most anticipated game this year for me!!!
Same here. This news made my day :D

Yasae

Banned
endlessflood said:
It works very nicely with the PS3 box's aspect ratio, I quite like it. On the others... not as much.
*clicks again* Huh, it does look slightly better on the PS3 box.

Still.. Not feeling it.

This is all they would need to get me interested:

2z7fn5y.jpg

Zoso

I really like the boxart. Perfect atmosphere.

MidnightRider said:
I didn't play the first one...........
Take it you can jump right into it anyway
Yes you can but if you can find it I HIGHLY recommend the playing the first one on the PC (any pc can handle this game by now).
Its still an amazing game that most games today can not match. (but only on the pc)

DietRob

The Dutch Slayer said:
Yes you can but if you can find it I HIGHLY recommend the playing the first one on the PC (any pc can handle this game by now).
Its still an amazing game that most games today can not match. (but only on the pc)

Why can't I find this game anywhere. Checked Steam that's a no. Google searches want me to preorder Mafia 2. Whar is it?

edit: amazon for 19.99 I've got a $10 credit. I'll take Mafia for 9.99 anyday.

mack999

Banned
Paraclete said:
FFFFFFFFFFF I want now. Other than Red Dead Redemption, this is the only other game I can't wait for this year.

The Galaxy 2 boys will be wagging fingers.

This, Red Dead, Mario 2 and the new Prince of Persia, I guess that's my gaming year after Just Cause 2.

Zoso

New video showing off physX.

Can't wait to explore the city. It looks beautiful.

Wag

Zoso said:
New video showing off physX.

Can't wait to explore the city. It looks beautiful.
So I guess every Nvidia sponsored game will say GF100 before it now? Kind of ironic because Mafia II is DX9 only, so it really won't matter which PhysX card you use for it.

Yasae

Banned
Damn, the tech is looking mighty fine. Like GTA4's havok implementation and shockingly realistic car crumpling, this game didn't need so much garland and tinsel... But it sure doesn't hurt!

DietRob

Does anyone know if there are any good mods if any at all for the PC version of Mafia? I'm posting on my phone now so I can't really check myself.

DietRob

Zoso said:

It looks nice thanks for the linkage. I wish a sprinkle or two of actual gameplay was in the video. It seems they are really shooting for a deep cinematic feel I can dig it. I hope the story turns out good. For you purists there are mild story spoilers in the dev diary.

Zoso

Saw that yesterday. Besides the abundant screen tearing it's looking fantastic. It's the GDC/PAX demo, so they have enough time to sort that stuff out.

I really love the visual style they've achieved - It's a very beautiful game.

spidye

I guess it will be the typical multiplatform game. that means nasty screen-tearing but better framerate on xbox360 and vsync and bad framerate on ps3.
the game still looks so damn awesome.

Top Bottom