• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II - first details!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Dascu said:
Radeon HD4890 here. You're telling me I won't be able to run this game properly?
Well, if you read the GameStar article, the physics are as you'd expect without a dedicated NVidia card. With one, particles don't vanish immediately, explosions are richer with persistent flying detail meshes and shit.

I don't know if I wanna say it's pointless without a dedicated NV card for PhysX, but "The way it's meant to be played" is probably the one with that extra silicon in your box..

Scotch

The differences in these screenshot comparisons are really insignificant. I certainly don't see a Red Dead Redemption-type difference here. Unless there's something wrong with the framerate I'm sticking with the PS3 version.

I may go PC if it runs well but then I doubt we'll be seeing a PC demo to try it out.

Dascu

wmat said:
Well, if you read the GameStar article, the physics are as you'd expect without a dedicated NVidia card. With one, particles don't vanish immediately, explosions are richer with persistent flying detail meshes and shit.

I don't know if I wanna say it's pointless without a dedicated NV card for PhysX, but "The way it's meant to be played" is probably the one with that extra silicon in your box..
Ah. Well in that case, I can probably live with the lack of PhysX.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Scotch said:
The differences in these screenshot comparisons are really insignificant. I certainly don't see a Red Dead Redemption-type difference here. Unless there's something wrong with the framerate I'm sticking with the PS3 version.

I may go PC if it runs well but then I doubt we'll be seeing a PC demo to try it out.
Actually, they're releasing the E3 demo for all platforms in August.

I can't see any difference in the SSAO shots either...

Loudninja

Mafia II on PS3: Your Questions Answered
PSB: Will there be some sort of customization in Mafia II? Such as clothing, weapon customization, etc. (Ar4chNova89)

JC: Well the cars can be tuned for performance, you can change the wheels, you can repair them, you can change license plate, you can paint it any color you want. That level of customization we really encourage because we want people to fall in love with their cars the way America did in the 50s.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/07/20/mafia-ii-on-ps3-your-questions-answered/#more-32895

Better than nothing.

JBuccCP

I had to put them in different tabs and switch back and forth real fast to see the difference. I'm not sure what SSAO does but it looks like the one with it on has more light or something.

Goldrusher

evlcookie said:
I seriously can't tell the difference between the SSAO on and off pictures. Someone help me out here :lol
When you don't notice a difference between two screenshots, simply put them in two tabs and switch back and forth.

See the above gif.

Goldrusher

dark10x said:
The first shot is PS3.

PS3 seems to have sharper plants and objects (ex: the metal thing on the left).
Xbox seems to have higher res textures though (notice the ground in the top right corner).

They both look good enough.

edit: Tweaked the URLs, so you get the actual image link now, containing "PS3" and "360" instead of a page without any indication of platform.

Looks like the PS3 uses rougher single bit alpha on the plants giving them the illusion of cleaner image quality and the 360 is using a dithered based blend which is nicer technically but muddier looking.

Jenga

Banned
Saty said:
You get Mafia 1 for free to play immediately if you pre-purchase Mafia II on Steam.
I like this :D

I think Mafia II will be my only summer purchase outside of that huge summer sale just recently.

sflufan said:
Which will require use of Steam anyway as it too will have Steamworks implementation.

I know, but steamworks means I can get a nice metal case + physical bonuses and still have the game tied to my steam account acting like a digital download. It's the best of both worlds. It's the reason I'm getting the Fallout New Vegas CE.

derFeef said:
Aren´t the collectors editions console only?

Amazon says otherwise. Says it is $70 and includes $10 future credit.

Linkzg said:
I know, but steamworks means I can get a nice metal case + physical bonuses and still have the game tied to my steam account acting like a digital download. It's the best of both worlds. It's the reason I'm getting the Fallout New Vegas CE.
But you don't get the free Mafia 1.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
2K Elizabeth said:
Mafia II will be getting a demo to PS3, Xbox 360, and PC this August ahead of its release on August 24th! Stay tuned for an exact download date, and get ready to step into Empire Bay.
That's what they said when they announced the demo. I assume it still stands.

Where's the hype for this game damn it?! Have some respect! Hopefully the demo will change that.

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC to a quad core and probably a GTX460. I feel pretty confident that my current setup would play it respectably but I want to be playing on high settings for a change and not low to medium.

wormstrangler said:
Where's the hype for this game damn it?! Have some respect! Hopefully the demo will change that.

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC to a quad core and probably a GTX460. I feel pretty confident that my current setup would play it respectably but I want to be playing on high settings for a change and not low to medium.

I'm disappointed that 2K decided to make all 3 versions look the same for the most part. Its unfortunate that even a game like Mafia 2 doesn't get the PC optimization.

pilonv1

evlcookie said:
I seriously can't tell the difference between the SSAO on and off pictures. Someone help me out here :lol

Glad I wasn't the only one. It's subtle enough that I could go without it for the performance increase if ATI cards are a problem.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
LovingSteam said:
I'm disappointed that 2K decided to make all 3 versions look the same for the most part. Its unfortunate that even a game like Mafia 2 doesn't get the PC optimization.

Out of curiosity, what are you basing this on? Sources? Links? If this is indeed true it's a slap in the face.

LovingSteam said:

actually, there was a podcast recently where Mafia 2 was cited as a game that looked ridiculously better on PC compared to console versions. I think it was gamers with jobs.

Linkzg said:
actually, there was a podcast recently where Mafia 2 was cited as a game that looked ridiculously better on PC compared to console versions. I think it was gamers with jobs.
I don't have the source on me but supposedly 2K confirmed there wasn't much difference. Hopefully it's wrong.

I got to play the Mafia 2 PS3 Demo a few days ago at a 'premiere' type event and came away underwhelmed. Graphically the game seemed to have no anti-aliasing whatsoever so it was jaggy central; now I loved inFamous despite it also having no AA, but the stylised comic book world vs real world really makes a difference there in terms of the jaggies. The other major compaint is the shooting controls, they felt very clunky and more in line with what was the norm on the PS2 rather than the PS3. After games like Uncharted 2 and RDR they felt backward. I'm not a regular at these premiere type things so maybe these were down to some TV setup issues (maybe gaming mode wasn't enabled on the TV and the sharpness may have been maxed out or something) but when the demo is publicly released in a fortnight I really hope that it looks and controls a lot better on a properly setup TV...

Some unusual gameplay choices too. You can't swim at all, and by that I don't mean you drown: instead there's actually an invisible barrier that stops you from going into the water. And if you drive a car into the water the screen goes black, and then you suddenly respawn at the water's edge minus car. Also if you roll a convertible you die instantly :(

Textures were a mixed bag, the grass texture used on the lawns looks awful, but some of the texturing at the waters edge was brilliant. Animation was pretty good too, I did like the way you kind of feel your way with the back of your free hand when shuffling along in cover. I only got to use the MG42, M1911 and shotgun in the demo (although there is a Thompson in there as well) but they all felt pretty good. I played without any sound so can't comment on sound effects or voice acting. You do have the ability to change clothes at your house too, I don't think I saw that shown or mentioned yet. Car damage was fairly simple in comparison to the GTA games; maybe it's due to the cars being used, but external damage is mostly cosmetic with not much model deformation other than flying bonnets/hoods. When the engine starts smoking and eventually dies you have an on-the-fly repair button press option although I never got a chance to use it.

In terms of the mission that the demo covers, it's the one we've seen a lot of in gameplay vids already. It begins with
you in your house and you answer the phone to begin it. You then get a chance to explore the world a bit with a destination marker on your map for the next stage of the mission. However the demo has a countdown timer on these free world sections of 10 minutes (also applies to the section on the getaway). Anyway, once you arrive at your destination you get to handle the MG42 on a window sill, and after clearing out the guys out the front you get to go on a shootout through the brewery. After eliminating your target you have to navigate back through the burning building before jumping in a car and driving away. On the drive away you come to a roadblock on a bridge and that's where the demo ends.

Wag

endlessflood said:
Also if you roll a convertible you die instantly :(
Generally that's going to happen in a convertable, especially in the '30s and '40s when there were virtually no safety features to speak of (ie: roll bars, etc).

Wag said:
Generally that's going to happen in a convertable, especially in the '30s and '40s when there were virtually no safety features to speak of (ie: roll bars, etc).
True enough, but I think it will get annoying very quickly.

Gorgon

endlessflood said:
True enough, but I think it will get annoying very quickly.

I can see people wanting to play this as GTA in the 40/50's and getting annoyed, yes. I guess it will depend on how prone are the cars to turn over. Except in pursuits/escapades etc the game isn't built to mess around wreaking havok in the streets, so the more punitive gameplay is expected.

Gorgon said:
I can see people wanting to play this as GTA in the 40/50's and getting annoyed, yes. I guess it will depend on how prone are the cars to turn over. Except in pursuits/escapades etc the game isn't built to mess around wreaking havok in the streets, so the more punitive gameplay is expected.
I was doing a flatout speed run. I didn't hit any other vehicles just took the corner after the bridge too fast, brushed the wall, car flipped, instant death. I guess the first Mafia game should have taught me better, curse those bloody tickets :)

Mafia 2 ps3 exclusive DLC.
4866888752_35a480ff9f_b.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/06/mafia-iis-ps3-exclusive-dlc-the-betrayal-of-jimmy/

The Betrayal of Jimmy is almost an arcade-style take on the Mafia II experience. The team took the most fun elements from the game: shooting, driving, stealing, etc in a open world, and made it a point-based romp, complete with leaderboards. It’s all about fast cars, blowing stuff up, hitting top speeds, and really taking advantage of the open city. If Mafia II is an expansive story, then The Betrayal of Jimmy is instant gratification.

The Betrayal of Jimmy is not included on the disc – new copies of the game will contain a voucher to download it. If you pick the game up used, you’ll be able to purchase the DLC for $9.99.

While you can unlock Trophies during The Betrayal of Jimmy (we saw one earned during our playthrough for getting significant airtime in a car), there aren’t any mission-specific Trophies for this DLC.

The Jimmy’s Vendetta DLC will become available post-launch. No word on price.
With over 25 different missions, The Betrayal of Jimmy promises a meaty additional gameplay experience, and a nice bonus for PlayStation 3 owners looking to pick up Mafia II later this month.

ArjanN

brain_stew said:
So the shittiest version of the game gets 25 exclusive missions? That's completely retarded.

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion those 25 missions all consist of: drive over there and shoot some guys.

No_Style

Really curious how the game performs on all three platforms. Only 4 more days until the demo!

Well, a lot longer for the 360 demo since I don't have Gold. :(

Top Bottom