• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II - first details!

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Nice video. Can't wait to play the E3 demo in August.

Since GAF isn't very excited about this game I'll assume most of these haven't been posted, but here's some newish stuff:

Developer Diary - The World of Mafia 2
Interview with Alex Cox & Jarek Kolar - Lots of interesting info here. I liked the bits on experience > freedom
PC Specs Revealed
A visit to the developer showing off the environments. There's a whole series like this on this guy's youtube account. DO NOT watch the mo-cap video as it contains story spoilers.

Also the devs are on the official 2k forums answering questions if anybody cares : )

I started replaying the first Mafia in anticipation. Still an incredible game.

burgerdog

Can't wait for this game. :D This looks very odd, though.

15s4efl.jpg

PS3
ddm8mq.jpg

What happened to the shadows from the background objects?

KillerAJD

^^ I'm pretty sure that would be the missing SSAO.

DEskofier said:
I am in no way an expert on these things, but the only differences I could make out between the 360 and PS3 shots was what looked like missing SSAO, missing cloth physics, and maybe a slight blur on some of the PS3 shots. It's weird though, in some shots, the PS3 version looks to be cleaner than the 360 version. Is there such a thing as selective Quincunx AA? Probably should wait for somebody more "qualified" to chime in, but whatever. Game looks pretty decent all around actually, but I'll probably grab the PC version unless the PS3 exclusive stuff is significant.

Oh, also, is that dithering in the 360 shot?

Speculator

BioWare Austin
I don't think its the lack of shadows, but the lack of SSAO (Ambient Occlusion) for the PS3version.
*beaten
Looking very very good though.

derFeef said:
Nice. Sounds like they "Alan Wake´d" it - more linear, but also more immersive. I love me some good Mafia stories.

They havent Alan Wake'd it. The first Mafia was also very linear in story, as the the game went thorugh chapters were you had all the city opened, and the years passed.

Thats what makes it better than GTA, as the story is much much better.

EatChildren said:

Love the pnaoramic screens in the review.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Fucking nice, I was afraid the 360 version would look like poopsmear compared to the PC as leadplatfom.

But I must say the difference is acceptable enough, obviously the PC shots might as well be from a midrange PC but I guess thats the only useful comparision anyway.

[Nintex]

Do we have any idea how this game will run on ATi cards, my Radeon HD5850 shouldn't have any problems running this game but it's one of those Nvidia Physx games right?

derFeef

[Nintex] said:
Do we have any idea how this game will run on ATi cards, my Radeon HD5850 shouldn't have any problems running this game but it's one of those Nvidia Physx games right?
PCGH de said that CPU based APEX costs a hefty amount of performance, or is even unplayable :(

Mad_Ban said:
Lack of SSAO on all objects on the PS3 version?

Bloody stupid the ugly ass PS3 version is getting exclusive content. SMH.

Edit:

The shadow maps look lower resolution in the PS3 version compared to the 360 version as well. The 360 version looks decent enough I guess, the PS3 version, not so much.

Feindflug

chandoog said:
Is the PS3 version running at a lower rez ?

Both versions look sub-HD with the 360 version having something like a blur effect and some dithered shadowing...the foliage in the PS3 version looks more detailed but it lacks SSAO - anyway both versions look mediocre IMO, I'm definitely getting the PC version.

KillerAJD

brain_stew said:

The shadow maps look lower resolution in the PS3 version compared to the 360 version as well. The 360 version looks decent enough I guess, the PS3 version, not so much.
Oh come on, really? I agree it sucks about the SSAO, but I'd rather have the lower res shadow maps than the ugly ass dithering. On top of that, they look nearly identical. Then again, I have to agree on the exclusive stuff. I'm getting tired of that shit, especially if it's anywhere near substantial.

KillerAJD said:
Oh come on, really? I agree it sucks about the SSAO, but I'd rather have the lower res shadow maps than the ugly ass dithering. On top of that, they look nearly identical. Then again, I have to agree on the exclusive stuff. I'm getting tired of that shit, especially if it's anywhere near substantial.

Worse shadows, worse foliage, much blurrier and aliased image quality, no SSAO and more than likely a lower framerate to boot. That's a pretty damn substantial downgrade in my book. Like the difference between running a PC game on high and medium.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
derFeef said:
We can agree on this.

More impressions, from RPS, including a maybe NSFW pic.
Man this game is going to be very, very good.
He claims her right leg is missing. I'm pretty sure it's just behind her left leg and the pillow.

Anyway the game sounds brilliant and I can't wait to play it. I'm burnt out on 360 vs. PS3 comparisons. I'm just getting it for 360 and eventually PC.

soooo we PS3 only gamers getting the worse version again? what a surprise!

wtf seriously. it's been so many years and developers still can't make the PS3 run these big open-world games as well as the Xbox 360?

i think i will finally stop blaming devs and start to blame Sony. i mean if even Rockstar with GTAIV and RDR can't get it right, no one can. i don't know why i even imagined Mafia II would be equal on PS3. i feel like such an idiot. goddamnit, i wish i knew when the PS3 launched that it was more suited for linear corridor games... :( i thought with the blu-ray and all, the console would get the biggest and most amazing open-worlds ever made in games...

sorry, it's just all very annoying. i'm still buying this game though and will try my best to enjoy its visuals. gameplay and story come first, but still, it hurts.

astroturfing said:

wtf seriously. it's been so many years and developers still can't make the PS3 run these big open-world games as well as the Xbox 360?

i think i will finally stop blaming devs and start to blame Sony. i mean if even Rockstar with GTAIV and RDR can't get it right, no one can. i don't know why i even imagined Mafia II would be equal on PS3. i feel like such an idiot. goddamnit, i wish i knew when the PS3 launched that it was more suited for linear corridor games... :( i thought with the blu-ray and all, the console would get the biggest and most amazing open-worlds ever made in games...

sorry, it's just all very annoying. i'm still buying this game though and will try my best to enjoy its visuals. gameplay and story come first, but still, it hurts.

Isn't the PS3 version getting extra actual content? Who cares about barely noticeable middling visual differences, you get to actually do more stuff than the 360 version. Isn't that like way more significant?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Isn't the PS3 version getting extra actual content? Who cares about barely noticeable middling visual differences, you get to actually do more stuff than the 360 version. Isn't that like way more significant?

no not to me really. the extra stuff is usually just some pointless shooting. i know RDR had some exclusive PS3 stuff but i played it and didn't even know what it was. one more of those gang hideouts or something? yay...

and if it was good exclusive content, it would just piss me off, knowing that the fans playing the game on other platforms didn't get it. platform exclusive content is a TERRIBLE idea.

astroturfing said:

Yeah, it is a bitch...

Although, I would say Infamous 2 looks more impressive graphically than the console versions of this

DaBuddaDa

What should I look for in those SSAO shots? I scroll up and down and up and down and I can't see any difference whatsoever.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
brain_stew said:

Edit:

Which one is which? I suppose the first shot is 360 (it looks much nicer)?

Top Bottom