• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami : Wii or PS2?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Dilemma: I have the PS2 version of Okami but have never played it. I am wondering if I would be better off trading in the PS2 version and getting it for the Wii.

I have component cables for my PS2 so I would be able to play it in 480p but I've read that the Wii version has true widescreen support.

What am I to do?

Play some of the one you own, decide if you want to exchange better graphics (deinterlaced, true widescreen) for what are apparently slightly inferior controls.

Just play the PS2 copy. It's the original version, after all. Additionally, there really isn't anything new in the Wii version.

Or -- just do what you feel is right?

badcrumble said:
decide if you want to exchange better graphics
I'm in the party that views the Wii version as graphically inferior. It doesn't have the bloom or diffuse glow effects of the PS2 version, and the paper filter is less pronounced. You could also argue that its ink effects lack the same graphical punch as the original - but I'm only estimating that from the videos I've watched. Furthermore, the Wii version - apparently, has more instances of slowdown than the PS2 version.

Don't get me wrong though, 480p and Widescreen is nice. Awesome, in fact.

It's really up to you, OP.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
From what Ive read:

Wii = widescreen and 480p, yes

PS2 = No gimmicky controls. Whatever people may say, the game was made for that system and I think the game controls perfectly. On some Wii reviews, there have been some complaints about the controls ("tacked on" Ive read)

Cant make a decision for you though, depends on your priorities :)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
All the component cables in the world won't make the PS2 one run in 480p.

Wii has better colors, 480p/widescreen, arguably better brush controls, arguably inferior everything-else controls (less-so if you're used to and/or okay with Twilight Princess Wii controls), less/no bloom, more subdued paper filter.

That is literally the entire list of differences. Choose what you will! I might, in fact, claim that the two are close enough that you should just choose the one that corresponds to the console you like the most, and care the most about having a nice persistent game collection for.

samratty

Wait in till the results are back from genuine people (not Nintendo fanboys) on the Wii version.
I'd guess at the PS2 version from the looks of things (controls, bloom and better paper filter, cheaper)... But that's not definite and it depends on your priorities.

Choose what you will! I might, in fact, claim that the two are close enough that you should just choose the one that corresponds to the console you like the most, and care the most about having a nice persistent game collection for.
That's probably the most reasonble way to go about it.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I've read a couple of different opinions on the controls too. 1up said that the controls weren't as good with the Wiimote. But IGN only makes a negative remark about a dodge move.

If I start the PS2 version I'll just keep playing that one. But if the Wii version looks better on my HDtv then I would have to put that into consideration.

Oooh: no 480p in the PS2 version???

TheExodu5

Banned
Control wise, I'd say the PS2 version would work better due to a camera that is much easier to rotate. Also, brush stroke are very easy to do anyways.

But then, 480p, widescreen, a more subtle canvas filter...I might go with the Wii version. Not sure if it's worth trading in the PS2 version and paying like $30 more though.

sammy

I hear you can skip through text at your own pace on the Wii version .... so, in theory, you could actually play the game through now.

Mechar

Neo Member
I´ve heard that the Wii-version is pretty much the same as the Playstation 2 one. The only differences are the controlls, wich I´ve heard works better on the Playstation 2. And that the Wii-version has got Widescreen mode.

Gagaman

In other reviews though, I've heard it been said that the wii controls for the celestial brush make it much smoother and faster to use. The only real complaint on the control side was how dodging works, otherwise this is a whole lot like comparing the gamecube and Wii versions of Twilight Princess: if you preferred the Gamecube controls, you'll most likely prefer the PS2 controls for Okami.

LiK

if you hate waggle and less precise controls then stick with the PS2 version. no widescreen, no big deal. it's like choosing between the GC version of twilight princess over the Wii version.

The most important potential difference to me would be reduced load times but I've not heard yay or nay on that particular subject.

They botched some of the special graphical effects on the Wii version (No bloom, paper filter barely noticeable, no ink bleeding effect and outlines don't squiggle)

Considering how important the art is in Okami, I would recommend the original PS2 version. Ready at Dawn did try but I guess they just couldn't figure out how the effects were done :(

play it on the orignal hardware.

its 100% PS2 dedication from scratch, so you cant go wrong with it. theres no need to make things complicated.

witness

Did you watch the IGN video review of Okami? Might help make up your mind, and you can see the 'paper filter' effect on the graphics and decide if you like how it looks. I think though if you have an HDTV that you'll want to play it on Wii since the game is 480p and widescreen.

Alphahawk

Ramenman said:
Remember that the Wii version has NO TRACK MAKER !!

WTF fail

Nuclear Muffin said:
They botched some of the special graphical effects on the Wii version (No bloom, paper filter barely noticeable, no ink bleeding effect and outlines don't squiggle)

WTF major fail

Wii downgraded port confirmed :(

Well do you hate Wii controls? If not get that version.

If you do, then stick to PS2.

I'm guessing though if you're even considering the Wii one then you prolly don't mind playing things with the controls.

For me personally, skip-able blah blah text, 480p and sweet widescreen = instant win.

YagizY

Get the Wii version, widescreen + easier brush controls. As long as you didn't mind the controls in Twilight Princess you should be ok with this game.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
YagizY said:
Get the Wii version, widescreen + easier brush controls. As long as you didn't mind the controls in Twilight Princess you should be ok with this game.

Yeah I didn't have any issues with the controls in Twilight Princess at all.

Not the easiest decision though. There are strong points for each side. Thanks for all the input. I guess I'll try the PS2 version out and see if the lack of any progression scan really bothers me. If it's too ugly on my tv then I'll get the Wii version.

Makes sense. Yes?

Thanks guys

I made a thread about this a few weeks back ....I ended up deciding on the Wii version actually

Will wait and see this Wed. if I can stand by that choice

For me though, I know I immediately prefered

+ Deeper saturated colors
+ Wii Celestrial brush
+ 480p/16:9

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I've played a bit of both and I really liked the Wii version better. The brush controls were great and the 480p on widescreen was the real deal breaker.

Few who have posted in this thread have played the Wii version so its too early to ask this kind of question i reckon. Wait till the game comes out, read impressions/reviews, maybe even rent the game, etc before you reach your verdict.

FWIW, I've got the PS2 Okami but i'm also buying the Wii version, mainly cause i love the idea of brush controls on Wii and also for the widescreen and colours.

jonabbey

Nuclear Muffin said:

Considering how important the art is in Okami, I would recommend the original PS2 version. Ready at Dawn did try but I guess they just couldn't figure out how the effects were done :(

I doubt they couldn't figure it out, but the PS2 has such mammoth EDRAM bandwidth that it can do a ton of overdraw/post-processing effects that might not be so straight-forward on the Wii, even if the Wii can push more polygons/textures.

the egm review says ps2 version all the way, but you really can't go wrong with the wii version either. it's just the motion controls are surprisingly a pain in the ass (a disturbing trend in wii games, i'd say)

plus the ps2 version is cheaper by now. but i don't know about its availability

just stick with the ps2 version. beat it a year ago on an lcd and had no complaints (though they could have trimmed about 8 hours off of it)

GhostSeed

Ugh, I really wish they had left a option in the Wii version for standard controls. If they had I would have been all over that version.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just play the ps2 version -- the wii version doesn't seem to get the watercolor aesthetic quite right, and its controls are controversial at best. it seems like RAD have done a fine job with the port, given the circumstances, but it's hard to see how they could've improved on clover's realized vision

edit: i've said it before, but i don't know why people consider oversaturated colors an improvement -- in fact you can oversaturate any game's colors as much as you like with the 'color' setting on your tv, and there's a reason you don't. anyway okami deliberately goes for a desaturated watercolor look

jarrod

Banned
jonabbey said:
I doubt they couldn't figure it out, but the PS2 has such mammoth EDRAM bandwidth that it can do a ton of overdraw/post-processing effects that might not be so straight-forward on the Wii, even if the Wii can push more polygons/textures.
RAD said Clover's codebase was a mess too (totally incomplete, using 4 different scripting languages, assets arriving weekly in HDDs). Most likely, they had to approxomate a lot of effects on Wii from the ground up, and when you factor in the small team and tight schedule... well, I sort of doubt this is the best Wii could do if given different circumstances, despite RAD's commendably herculean effort.

PS2's frame buffer bandwidth on it's integrated EDRAM bests Wii's embedded 1T-SRAM by about 2 to 1, but their texture bandwidth is actually pretty close iirc (slight edge for PS2). And Wii's main memory is basically even for speed also (slight edge for Wii), though it has far, far more memory available (88MB to 32MB).

GhostSeed said:
Ugh, I really wish they had left a option in the Wii version for standard controls. If they had I would have been all over that version.

But then you might as well have just bought the PS2 version.

Durante

jonabbey said:
The squiggle at least has nothing to do with that I'd wager. It's simply nearly impossible to do with non-programmable hardware T&L.

Mau ®

Its an awesome game regardless of console. Cant see how much better/worse the Wii version can be since the core game is basically the same.

Tathanen said:
I just watched the IGN video review, and on the close-up of Amaterasu the ink was squiggling like a motherfuck.
Squiggly doesn't equate to liquid behavior.

I'm more referring to the appearance of the Cursed Zones and such. There's a very liquid, bleeding effect in the ink of the PS2 version. This isn't apparent in the Wii version.

Jirotrom

Raging Spaniard said:
From what Ive read:

Wii = widescreen and 480p, yes

PS2 = No gimmicky controls. Whatever people may say, the game was made for that system and I think the game controls perfectly. On some Wii reviews, there have been some complaints about the controls ("tacked on" Ive read)

Cant make a decision for you though, depends on your priorities :)
why is this a surprise... of course they are tacked on.

Raistlin

From the reviews I've read, PS2 version easily. The controls just aren't accurate enough in the Wii version.

Had the game supported the GC controller, it wouldn't be an issue.

Its too bad ... I'd love to play it in widescreen :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Onix said:
From the reviews I've read, PS2 version easily. The controls just aren't accurate enough in the Wii version.

Had the game supported the GC controller, it wouldn't be an issue.

Its too bad ... I'd love to play it in widescreen :(
Despite the fact that it doesn't support 480p, the PS2 version in 4:3 mode is still likely to sport superior image quality to the stretched 16:9 Wii version (unless your TV has a very poor de-interlacer).

Raistlin

dark10x said:
Despite the fact that it doesn't support 480p, the PS2 version in 4:3 mode is still likely to sport superior image quality to the stretched 16:9 Wii version (unless your TV has a very poor de-interlacer).

Wait, the Wii version isn't even real 16:9?

Oh jesus :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Onix said:
Wait, the Wii version isn't even real 16:9?

Oh jesus :lol
No no no, it's like every other 16:9 mode on a 480p console. You're still displaying a 4:3 pixel resolution (640x480) and changing the aspect ratio. The actual visuals will not appear stretched, but the pixels will be (resulting in image quality loss).

When viewing that same image in a 4:3 window, you are compressing the pixels.

Now, if you are playing on a 4:3 TV and engage a 16:9 squeeze, then the opposite would occur and the 16:9 window would sport superior image quality for the same reasons.

Top Bottom