• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 online: hows it running? PS3/360

how is the online running for GTA4?

im curious to see how well an online mode that seems so ambitious is actually working on the different systems-

is one running better? are people having any issues?

Firewire

Banned
I'd like to know as well! Haven't had a chance to touch the game yet, but I'd like some multiplayer madness tonight! (PS3)

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
PS3 Version-I hosted a 16 player match and it was lagging pretty bad on....Hopefully it was only for that night.

When I hosted an 5 player game it ran smooth.

Firewire

Banned
blindrocket said:
Perhaps Off topic, but I'm having trouble linking my PSN ID with my Social Club membership. It keeps timing out on me.

I did the linking this morning with no problems, maybe they are getting jammed up.

deejay8595 said:
PS3 Version-I hosted a 16 player match and it was lagging pretty bad on....Hopefully it was only for that night.

maybe it was your connection

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
blindrocket said:
Perhaps Off topic, but I'm having trouble linking my PSN ID with my Social Club membership. It keeps timing out on me.

Yeah. The site is pretty wonky at the moment. Just keep trying and you will eventually get it to load properly.

Kenka said:
Another thread about GTA....

youre so cool brewster!!

yeah, its crazy that on the launch day of a game that may go down as one of the greatest of all time, there is multiple threads on a gaming forum discussing different aspects of said game.

just defending my thread.

Ranger X

WhatRuOn said:

Just look at PSN update threads and look at all the people with different bandwith and loading time. Oddly enough, they have the same machine and they all have broadband connection but yet their download times for a demo varies from 5 to 50 minutes wich is quite unconceivable if everybody was wired. Wireless is shit, most people can't set the color of a TV properly so don't even ask them to have a nice network at home with quality components. On Xbox it will be less of a problem and there probably will be less lag because most people are wired.

Dunlop

Safe Bet said:
These threads are useless...

Just an FYI

It shouldn't be but there are just too many fucktards that post (not implying you btw).

A better topic would be for people to report who is having a problem on their system.
That would minimize the trolling and avoid the "My 360 version is flawless but 96 of my buddies with PS3's are crashing" posts.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Ranger X said:
Just look at PSN update threads and look at all the people with different bandwith and loading time. Oddly enough, they have the same machine and they all have broadband connection but yet their download times for a demo varies from 5 to 50 minutes wich is quite unconceivable if everybody was wired. Wireless is shit, most people can't set the color of a TV properly so don't even ask them to have a nice network at home with quality components. On Xbox it will be less of a problem and there probably will be less lag because most people are wired.

Have you heard of this thing called, "The Internet"?

How about the term "router"?
How about the term "latency"?
How about the term "hop count"?
How about the term "packetloss"?

Familiar with any of those? Probably not.

Are you also familiar with the Ethernet jack on the PS3? Sounds like you are not.

Are you familiar with how forums work, where you are more likely to hear from the people having "issues"? Squeaky wheel getting the grease and all that? Ring any bells?

How about the term "anectdotal evidence"? Anybody, anybody, Bueler?

The only real difference in the multiplayer experience between the two platforms is that on the 360 Microsoft/Live is doing the matchmaking. On the PS3 the matchmaking is handled by Rockstar.

So if you want to make a case for the 360 being milk and honey and the PS3 being gloom and doom, I have to assume you know something about Rockstar's 'net infrastructure.

...but I don't see any of that info in your post, please put it in your next one.

Firewire

Banned
Just saw this, not a great start R*!

If you are a proud owner of Grand Theft Auto IV on the PS3, then you might not be so proud to know that the online multi-player mode is down. Or, at least it appears to be so for PS3 patrons. Numerous players have received errors upon attempting to connect; this blogger included has not been able to get the multi-player to work. An error message pops up: "Cannot connect to game provider, please try again." Hopefully, Rockstar can get things running soon. Wouldn't want to upset the GTA IV crowd, if you know what we mean. In the meantime, get back to the single player game. We'll keep you posted as we find out more.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/04/29/gta-iv-online-is-down/

No issues on 360, looks like MS adding the servers has prevented any issues. Just took a break for the Champions league and then i'm straight back in!!

The latency is fine but the intelligence of some of the players isn't. Who in their right mind gets in vehicles when you are playing Rocket Launchers only deathmatch? :lol

Firewire

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
The latency is fine but the intelligence of some of the players isn't. Who in their right mind gets in vehicles when you are playing Rocket Launchers only deathmatch? :lol

:lol

So far, all my bro has been playing is online with his friends (REAL FRIENDS lol) on 360. I didn't witness any major lag, but i did witness some small glitches that can be cause due to lag i.e. ramming the armor truck in a huge wall head first, yet instead of slamming and getting stuck it ends up in the road again.

Ranger X

Woo-Fu said:
Have you heard of this thing called, "The Internet"?

How about the term "router"?
How about the term "latency"?
How about the term "hop count"?
How about the term "packetloss"?

Familiar with any of those? Probably not.

Are you also familiar with the Ethernet jack on the PS3? Sounds like you are not.

Are you familiar with how forums work, where you are more likely to hear from the people having "issues"? Squeaky wheel getting the grease and all that? Ring any bells?

How about the term "anectdotal evidence"? Anybody, anybody, Bueler?

The only real difference in the multiplayer experience between the two platforms is that on the 360 Microsoft/Live is doing the matchmaking. On the PS3 the matchmaking is handled by Rockstar.

So if you want to make a case for the 360 being milk and honey and the PS3 being gloom and doom, I have to assume you know something about Rockstar's 'net infrastructure.

...but I don't see any of that info in your post, please put it in your next one.

First of all mister wise, i don't give a damn about 360 vs PS3. You should ask yourself a question as to why it did trigger animosity on your part. It sounds just like when you hurt feelings of a fanboy.
Now explain to me how a majority of people on wireless network can be trusted as much as a majority of people being wired.
It happens that i ALWAYS fall on people with shit connections and out of the people i did debug in my surroundings, it NEVER was their connection but only shit config and shit components. Wireless sucks, that's all i am saying basically.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I've been too enthralled w/ the SP to try it out, but I'm about to hop on now.

DeadGzuz

Banned
deejay8595 said:

To be fair unless your upload bandwidth is very good you should not be allowed to host 16 players.

Cheeto

Ranger X said:
First of all mister wise, i don't give a damn about 360 vs PS3. You should ask yourself a question as to why it did trigger animosity on your part. It sounds just like when you hurt feelings of a fanboy.
Now explain to me how a majority of people on wireless network can be trusted as much as a majority of people being wired.
It happens that i ALWAYS fall on people with shit connections and out of the people i did debug in my surroundings, it NEVER was their connection but only shit config and shit components. Wireless sucks, that's all i am saying basically.
You should really just say that peer-to-peer gaming sucks, because all games are subject to shitty hosters with that method.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone else getting a "can't connect to service" thing when trying to get online with the PS3? I know I'm online via the PSN but the servers for the game must not be.

Loudninja

LiquidMetal14 said:
Anyone else getting a "can't connect to service" thing when trying to get online with the PS3? I know I'm online via the PSN but the servers for the game must not be.

Its down for some reason..

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
On 360, from launch till now with player numbers ranging from 5 to 10 to full 16 player matches there was zero lag, zero slowdown, and there were players from the Netherlands, US, Australia, Germany, Spain all in the same room... in this gigantic GTA world...

Color me impressed...

Reikon

I was playing a few hours after launch and I had problems joining games. Either not enough people were playing or I had connectivity problems. In games with 6-8 people, there was noticable lag while someone else was driving me.

Top Bottom