• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netherlands>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ALL

We may have lost our last 2 final games before Portugal but that doesn't mean jack sh.t

I have a feeling England will be going home in the first round....LOL

I cant see the Netherlands doing much better than England unless they get their act together and work as a team.

I could see Spain or Portugal Winning it, i'm giving my one to watch to Denmark

DSN2K

COME ON ENGLAND!

england.gif

The_Jack

Czechs and Germany to go through in the self-destructing Dutch group.

England to stick two fingers up to the French this Sunday. Then scramble through against Switzerland and Croatia

Latvia to win the tournament. Probably.

Or not.

Coen

Oh, come on, it's going to be the French! Although I'm obviously rooting for the Dutch, as a Dutchie.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
MrPing1000 said:
i'm giving my one to watch to Denmark
Denmark just played its two worst matches ever in the recent friendlies. A lot of had to do with poor attitude but the team has also been struggling finding a replacement for Thomas Gravesen on the midfield who'll be out against Italy.

But anything can happen really.

Dekajelly

england_girl_12a.jpg

England vs France - 2 - 0
England vs Switzerland 4 - 1
England vs Croatia 1 - 1

:D

And Fantasy Football is back on TV too.

:D

ourumov

I hope it's all about Italy and Spain...And that they just meet at the finals and Italy crush them.

Netherlands: Other than Van Der Vaart, I cannot say I see another player with talent there...There are a lot of oldies...

France: Zidane and Pires were the ones who gave speed to the team...and both they are not at their best moment.

Italy: Oldies but they have great potential...Totti, Del Piero and Vieri...They have the stronest attack IMO.

Germany: Other than Ballack the team is not great...And they have Kahn and this is a warranty for tons of goals...

Spain: Defense it's all about Puyol and attack all about Morientes. If we add to this the fact that Saez doesn't rely on Xavi I cannot say I am particularly enthusiasted with the selection of my country. He has also committed tons of errors at not getting people like Oleguer (defensor from FCB, Tamudo from Espanyol and Mista from Valencia).

England: It's not the old england we used to see...

seanoff

the dutch could be the first team ever to have players sent off for fighting with each other. if they could play together they'd be dangerous, but i wouldn't hold out too much hope.

France probably have the best attack, the italians of course will cause trouble, germany will (as always) be extremely organised and sweden might attempt to bore teams into submission. Spain and Portugal are capable of anything, magnificent one game, horrid the next.

So in conclusion, probably anyone of the top 8 can win it. But not the english, i think they lack the "CLASS". Rooney i think is currently over-rated (the english do this with bands too) and too fat, owen has had a poor season, the mid field will work like dogs but they do not have a genuine stopper in there, neville will spend his time diving at the back and is flaky too
, if terry doesn't come up it leave Sol Campbell short of a useful partner and david james can and probably will be spectacular, both good and bad sometimes in the same half.

If pressed France tho, Henry, Trezugiet, Pires, Zidane, etc have the ability to cause the most problems.

Falch

As a Dutchie myself, I still have some hope for the Dutch team to get there act together, but our coach is a first-class moron. Thank god Germany is in an even worse shape. :) Their goalkeeper is a disaster waiting to happen.

The Netherlands have to make sure they place first in their poule though, or they'll meet Italy in the first round (assuming Italy places first in its poule)

Netherlands: Other than Van Der Vaart, I cannot say I see another player with talent there...There are a lot of oldies...

Indeed there are. A selection of 23 players, 10 of whom are older than 30 years. Van Der Vaart isn't really in good shape lately. There's lots of talent in Robben (Chelsea payed 18 million euro for him), Sneijder and Heitinga though. And we have some of the best strikers in the world (Van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, Makaay, Hooijdonk).

Anyway, what's an official thread without a link to the official Euro 2004 website?

seanoff

No, Aussie.

We suck at soccer. Drew 2-2 with the Solomon Islands. I think their side was every fit man in the country between 16 and 40.

Altho we may have done that to piss the Kiwis off, as we now get to play the Solomon islands to get to the playoff with the south americans for the world cup spot.

ourumov

Falch, I am from Barcelona and this basically means one thing:

I HAVE SEEN ALL THE FUCKING DUTCHS DURING 10 YEARS !

Nah, just joking but IMO the basis of the team are not in their best moments.

Davids has done a good job this year but on the latest matchs you could see him tired. Kluivert is 27 years old but has done an horrible season, HORRIBLE. Cocu and Reiziger have both done a nice season but they are extremelly mood dependant...There are days in which they can do a nice match while others they'd better stay at home.
It's all about how the duo Van Nistelroy - Kluivert works...They claim they have born to play together but I want to see it.

I was one of the biggest Kluivert defensors here...Everybody wants him to leave FCB and you cannot blame them...Kluivert is very irregular.

Falch

I'm not a fan of Kluivert anymore. Here is my final team:

----------------Van Der Sar---------------------
---------------Stam--------Cocu-----------------
Heitinga---------------------------Van Brockhorst
-----------------------------------------------------
-----------Sneijder--------Seedorf--------------
Van Der Meyde------------------------Robben
--------------Van Der Vaart---------------------
------------------Makaay-------------------------

Advocaat (dutch coach) already said he won't be playing with to front strikers anymore, so the Van Nistelrooy/ Kluivert duo is out of the question. And I'm glad, there was no synergy between them. We need one deep striker, and two wingplayers, IMO (probably what Advocaat will do now).

Apparently the injury that Seedorf developed last saterday means that he won't be playing the first match. :(

Indeed you have seen basically all those Dutch players. Van Gaal took a lot of players with him when he went to Barca. Ajax never recovered from it. :D (PSV fan myself)

Hooker

Too much bullshit about some chubby overrated player (van der Vaart) instead of the current real king of Dutch football, SEEDORF!!

Most countries would die to have him in their team but he is hated in his own country, very unrightfully so :( All about double standards I tell ya! Falch was right about our dumb ass "coach" though. The guy is stupid beyond belief. Thank god we have someone else besides him (van Hanegem, member of the squad of the best football the world has ever seen, Clockwork Orange '74) who seems to be doing a couple of things right.

I don't think we will reach very far, unless they can get their act together. If they do manage to accomplish this, no team will be able beat them. Not even France on steroids.

*still waiting for Cruijff to accept the job :(*

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
We Yanks have to pay DirecTV $180 to watch the tourney. Not a single game will be on ESPN or FSW.

cja

Really looking forward to what I'm sure most in Europe will think is the biggest sporting event of the year. Olympics, bah!

Some awesome first round games, England v France and Germany v Netherlands lead the way but Spain v Russia and Denmark v Italy also look like corkers. Doubt the losing teams from these games will go through, the pressure knowing you have to win your next two games is going to be immense.

DSN2K said:
COME ON ENGLAND!

england.gif
Amazed at how many flags of St. George are in windows and on cars already, sign of a lovely barmy English summer hopefully:)

Wish will soon deflate as they do crap.

I'm actually fearing England winning something because all common sense will go out the window and it will be the only thing on tv for a week or so. And then at every opportunity for the next 4 years after that it will be mentioned.

Hooker

Actually, I don't care if they win the tourny or not. I just want Holland to fucking ANNIHILATE those fucking Germans. A rediculous score like 7-1!

And then procede to beat Germany in the final in Germany'06 and get the title which should have been ours, then 32 years ago :( ('78 as well :()

Falch

Nah Hooker (Lateralus is Tool's best btw :)), there is one scenario that would be even more kickass. The Dutch lose their match vs Germany, manage to come second, than start to kick all the way to the final match, in which we beat Germany. That's how we did it 16 years ago, against Russia. :D

Cruijf will never be coach of The Netherlands. He has too much to lose. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Excelion

Banned
we're going to win again :)

-------------Barthez

----------Thuram--Gallas
Sagnol---------------------Lizarazu
---------Pedretti----Makelele
-----Pires--------------Zidane
--------------------Henry
-------------Trezeguet

that's my favorite team.
We have too much players in England, i hope they didn't forget the tactical training they got in France and Italy.

shibbs

The Netherlands better start playing some soccer soon, coz theyre playing like shit now.
The 2 previous duals didnt give me much hope for the EK.

I just hope we beat the shit out of Germany :D You know... Netherlands - Germany is a classic battle.

Hooker

Excelion said:
we're going to win again :)
*cough* thinks of Japan-Korea 2002 *cough* (Yeah, I know. We took a sabbatical that year :()

France's team is looking REAL strong and balanced though (no Viera in your lineup?!). But I don't think they will win. Don't ask me who though, Czech Republic, Portugal and Holland are my picks. (The patriot in me will always live :))

Falch

Well, atleast as long as The Netherlands don't have to take any penalty's.... :|

*remembers the horror that was Italy-Netherlands four years ago*

brr....never again plz....we missed two ingame penalty's and were much stronger....the match before we'd beaten Yugoslavia with 6-1.

Excelion

Banned
Pedretti is better imo, a great vision of the field (reminds me of Laudrup); and there is the high risk of a red card for Vieira.

Fowler

Vieira controls games though. And he's really calmed down a lot of late.

It's interesting because honestly this is an impossibly tough tournament to call. France and Italy are probably the two teams with the least question marks over them, but I'd hardly label both outright favourites. France have worries in defence (sorry, but Desailly is crap, Thuram's had an awful season and Silvestre is error-prone) and you can never really count on them after that inexplicable collapse of historic proportions at the World Cup. The Italians have no width whatsoever and rely solely on Francesco Totti for all their creative needs, and also have a history of either going all the way or collapsing at the first hurdle. Still, those two are in my "top tier" of favourites, if you will.

In the second tier, I have Holland, Spain, Portugal and England. These four are teams that, with a bit of luck, a few breaks, and some star performances, could go all the way.

Holland as always have one of the more talented squads in the tournament, but Advocaat still hasn't found the right lineup (and they're currently duelling with the Germans to see which Group D side can self-destruct first). Kluivert is a legend and carries too much weight to be dropped, but equally he's totally out of form and just doesn't get along with the in-form Van Nistelrooy.

Spain have the same problem with Raul -- he's captain, the country's record goalscorer and arguably its greatest player. But he's been out of form all year long. Spain have a good squad too, but it's probably a notch below the Dutch, French or Italian squads and they're also creaky at the back... that and they have serious belief issues. Still, I expect big things from Fernando Torres -- he's my pick for Young Breakout Performer of the Tournament.

Depending on your viewpoint, it's either too early, too late, or just the right time for Portugal. The Golden Generation (Figo, Rui Costa, etc) have just passed their prime, and only Figo is in any outstanding form. The young guns (Cristiano Ronaldo, Quaresma) are probably just a little too young. If Scolari can find the right mix of experience and youth and if Pauleta and Nuno Gomes can put their chances away (a traditional problem with the Portuguese) Portugal are in with a chance, especially with the home crowd behind them.

And finally, England. They might be sneered at by the likes of France and Holland, but I think they're more talented than most give them credit for. Sven is a canny coach and the squad is strong overall, but assuming John Terry is fit England don't so much have major question marks as a lot of little problems. Like in attack: Who will partner Michael Owen? Rooney is better than Heskey, but Heskey is a better fit for Owen. Who does Sven pick? In midfield, has Sven finally found the answer with Scholes on the left of a flat four-man formation? And can the defence cut out the silly little mistakes they've become known for? I think the tournament is open enough and the other teams are flawed enough that, again, assuming the breaks go their way and that they get top performances from more than just Beckham, Owen and Gerrard (in particular the defence, Lampard and Rooney) then they could easily win it.

Either way, I can't wait :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
England are being hyped as usual. When was the last time they won anything? 1966? :p

And I don't see Holland performing that well either, they haven't been playing well lately.

No, I believe in the Czechs, Italy and France.

BUT...I get the feeling you're all taking Sweden too lightly. :)
We got Henke Larsson back (and he's really eager to play in the national team), and a Zlatan Ibrahimovic with a lot more international experience.
And Fredrik Ljungberg of course...and Christian Wilhelmsson, my favorite player on the Swedish team. I'm hoping he'll get his big breakthrough this tournament.

Either way, I'm really excited about Euro 2004. Can't wait!!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna be in Japan for the whole goddamn tournament, from start to finish. I really hope they're gonna show it over there.

MetatronM said:
I'm gonna be in Japan for the whole goddamn tournament, from start to finish. I really hope they're gonna show it over there.

They are bound to. Beckham is involved /stereotype

scarybore

Newbie said:
honestly I couldn't give a flying fuck who wins. but i'm Irish, so I hope England lose

Heh I'm with you there, except for the fact i'm a Scot. Its bad enough with all the 1966 crap they put on Scottish TV everytime a major tournament is on so I can imagine the sheer horror of what will happen if they win a tournament in my lifetime (which I daresay they probably have a good chance of doing).

Kiriku said:
England are being hyped as usual. When was the last time they won anything? 1966? :p

Who is hyping them? The english media? Only so they can knock them down again when they lose.

I agree with fowler, England are a pretty good team with some question marks in certain areas of the pitch. The likely midfield four are as good as anyone in the tournament individually, but I don't know how well they will gel together. I don't think the lack of a natural left-footer is necessarily a problem, after all Pires is naturally right-footed and he doesn't exactly struggle on the left for arsenal. Defensively it will be important for Terry to be fit for the first game (Carra is a damn good defender... against any forward except Terry Henry). Probably the biggest problem is up front. Owen has struggled this season, not helped by injury and personal problems, Heskey has played better than he gets credit for but he's still wildly inconsisent as well, Rooney is talented but has been poor at club level. I guess he'll start with Rooney and Owen. Heskey is a good sub if he needs to change it around.

I guess if there's a team to watch out for, then it's the Czechs. They have some real attacking quality.

Either way, I'm really excited about Euro 2004. Can't wait!!

Yep. 3 days to go!

COCKLES

being watched
Shinobi said:
France will own this tourney...I'm just hoping England can get a tie out of them.

Like they were supposed to own the last world cup in Japan? And we all know what happend there.

And sticky this damn thread bitches! Fuck the Stanley cup!

Fifty

TSN rocks, we get every game televised. It's going to be tough since most games are at 11:30 or 2:30, but I'll find a way! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom