• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falch

Portugal = GMT
LA = GMT - 8
New York = GMT - 5

Opening game Portugal - Greece would be 9.00 AM on Saterday.

Volt

Hmmm I'm not entirely sure, but I do think most games would be 5 or 8 PM in Portugal, which would make it... 11 AM or 1 PM at the East Coast of the US. Hope that kinda helps, although I'm not convinced I got it right :)

Shinobi

Guileless said:
We Yanks have to pay DirecTV $180 to watch the tourney. Not a single game will be on ESPN or FSW.

That's sad...every single game is on here in Canada, with all but a few on TSN.

COCKLES said:
Like they were supposed to own the last world cup in Japan? And we all know what happend there.

France didn't know what it was like to enter a tourney as defending champs. They do now. That'll go a long way. Unless you think they're gonna put up three donuts again.

Either way they've won more in the last six years then England's won in the last 40, so let's keep things in perspective.

Socreges said:
They've got over 200 nations to rank. So a calculated system is necessary. Therefore you're going to get an imprecise and inconsistent top ten. I don't think it's possible to rank more reliably unless you simply count like 20 teams and have them ranked subjectively. But then with that you're subject to complaints of bias and manipulation.

I can't believe Canada is #93. We're behind Turkmenistan for fucks sake. WHAT THE FUCK IS TURKMENISTAN

lol.gif
Hey, at least we're still in the top 100...not bad for being a country to not score a goal in it's only World Cup appearance (in that sense, we were no worse then France two years ago
lol.gif
).

Looking at the TSN schedule, I'll be alright...the second England game is shown on another channel initially, then shown on TSN three hours later. I'll be home by then, so that's cool. Same is true for the third game.

Man, this weekend is going to be nuts...Le Mans, Canadian GP, NBA Finals with Lakers and Pistons, and England vs France. Simply insane.

Solid

Yep, Le Bleu will win the tournament again.

But keep an extra eye on Zlatan Ibrahimovic in Sweden. He is hot!

Volt

Collina (the ref mentioned above) is getting a bit too "popular" though.. He's becoming, or already is, some kind of superstar, and honestly he shouldn't be. A good referee is the one that doesn't draw too much attention to himself, and lets the football players be the stars. I much prefer Ander Frisk (I think that's how you spell his name), a much more subtle, but just as efficient referee..

Also the only fellow Belgian at the tournament is actually a referee : Mr.De Bleeckere :D Oh I am so proud of my beloved nation..

Falch

I kinda agree with you Volt, but Collina is still a good referee, whether he's getting popular or not.

The referees of the first 12 matches have been chosen, click here. Anders Frisk is the referee for Holland - Germany. :D

Volt

Hate to burst any Albion bubbles, but I honestly think England don't stand a chance.. Beckham is supposed to be carrying this team, but he's just not that great a football player. Owen is an obvious choice for striker, but who would you place next to him ?
Any English folks willing to show us what their ideal team deployment would look like ?

England wont do much but Beckham doesnt carry the team, he's not that good. Hopefully Scholes will actually score and people will remember that he is a brilliant player. Keen to see how Gerrard does as well

Falch

Well considering Kahn makes blunders at very important moments, that's more of an advantage for the Dutch and for the Germans.

I'm waiting for some dodgy actions from Barthez too. :D

England really misses Ferdinand in their defense. Strikers are out of form. England should be happy to place second in their group.

Volt said:
Hate to burst any Albion bubbles, but I honestly think England don't stand a chance.. Beckham is supposed to be carrying this team, but he's just not that great a football player. Owen is an obvious choice for striker, but who would you place next to him ?
Any English folks willing to show us what their ideal team deployment would look like ?

Gerrard > Beckham. Lampard has really improved this season, he's probably played better than Beckham too

From the squad, I would go for

James
G. Neville Campbell Terry Cole
Beckham Gerrard Lampard Scholes
Heskey Owen

For the first game Sven will probably pick (assuming Terry isn't fit)

James
G. Neville Campbell King :( Cole
Rooney Owen

Should be good enough to at least finish second in the group.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
If Germany are going to get anywhere in the tournament, they need to shape up. 0-2 against Hungary, the game played in Germany no less, isn't very promising.

Falch

selig said:
But the players are still afraid of him. Especially the Dutch. ;)

hehe, we Dutch actually pity Kahn, because he just isn't that great. Neither is Lehmann though. :)

About England: I thought the combination Rooney - Owen didn't work very well? And perhaps Eriksson chooses Carragher over King?

Hooker

Lol, a german referee is going to lead France - England :lol

Oh yeah, selig. Kahn will break, by I reckon about 4 or 5 Dutch goals :p

Falch said:
hehe, we Dutch actually pity Kahn, because he just isn't that great. Neither is Lehmann though. :)

About England: I thought the combination Rooney - Owen didn't work very well? And perhaps Eriksson chooses Carragher over King?

Rooney - Owen has worked okay... in theory it should go quite well as Owen likes to stay on the last shoulder, while Rooney likes to drop deep, run at people and create things.

English media today are saying that King looks more likely to start. We'll see though.

Volt

Stevie Gerrard said:
Gerrard > Beckham. Lampard has really improved this season, he's probably played better than Beckham too

From the squad, I would go for

James
G. Neville Campbell Terry Cole
Heskey Owen

For the first game Sven will probably pick (assuming Terry isn't fit)

James
G. Neville Campbell King :( Cole
Rooney Owen

Should be good enough to at least finish second in the group.

Seems decent enough, yeah, shame about Ferdinand. So Terry isn't fit ? Damn, he would've been perfect for that open spot left by Rio.. I'm not sure about Scholes on the right wing though, England could use a much purer winger on that flank IMO. Rooney and Owen are great individually, not sure how good a match they'll be together though, especially against some of the toughest defenses in the world.
I do wish England the very best, I'm a bit of an Anglophile :) But realistically speaking it just don't see them getting very far at all.. Switzerland and Croatia seem like easy pickings, but as a Belgian (we played Croatia in the preliminaries), I can assure you they're not :)

Solid

I hate Germany. They play dull soccer. I was so happy when Real Madrid knocked Bayern Munich out in the Champions League. Especially after Kahn's little thing in the first match. Talk about joy :D

Hooker

Deepthroat said:
I hate Germany. They play dull soccer. I was so happy when Real Madrid knocked Bayern Munich out in the Champions League. Especially after Kahn's little thing in the first match. Talk about joy :D
Well, with me being Dutch it's in my DNA to hate everything German. But Bayern deserved to go through that round!

(and being a Barça also aided in that aspect :p)

Being spanish guess I'll kinda side with Germany (where I live), too many disappointments already, and a pathetic coach this time. Let's see.

12 June
Gp. A 18.00 Portugal - Greece
Gp. A 20.45 Spain - Russia

Woohoo, two days! :D

--- edit ---

Hooker said:
Well, with me being Dutch it's in my DNA to hate everything German. But Bayern deserved to go through that round!

Hoho, I lived in Holland quite close to the border and everyone spoke German, now talk about hate :p.

Hooker

Those were probably Germans who wanted to smoke some weed and tricked you into thinking they were Dutch ;)

Now where is my goddamn sticky!!

Maverick

I doubt we'll ever get a sticky, let alone before the tourny starts. Our best bet is bishop to come through.

For all the yanks - It looks like Fox Sports World, is airing some live matches, although they aren't the best. I just looked at the TV schedule and there's about 5-6 lives matches being aired out of the group stage.

I really need to fork over the $180 for the package, but the thing is I'm going to be in France from June 29-July 8. :/

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
I'm torn between who to support.

I'm living in England, but not English. I've supported them in the past, but oh have they failed me.

And now they're playing France. I'm an Arsenal supporter. Decisions, decisions.

But regardless, can't wait for Euro 2004, exams finish just in time too. :D

Does anyone know about airing in Germany? I know Spain's first match will be televised, but my german is not outstanding and my patience is even worse :p.

Hooker

Of course Germany will air them all.

Every country in Europe will cover EACH and EVERY game. Live, re-runs, pre-shows, post-shows. EVERYTHING!!

It's like asking if the pope is catholic

Falch

Apparently Seedorf showed up at the training today already, to train alone. He wasn't expected to start training again until saturday. Perhaps he will be fit in time for Germany. :D

I really feel sorry for Gronkjaer btw. :(

Hooker

Yeah, he still hasn't decided to come to Portugal. I hope whatever problems his family may have, is resolved in the next 2 days or so.

And yes, Seedorf is training again :D. Germany is too soon but he may be playing when the Czech Republic comes knocking at our door :) Hope for Holland +100000

Socreges

Banned
Let's get real here, people. The sticky is more a status, a sign of recognition and respect, than a mere convenience. Though, I don't think any of the mods are football fans, let alone Europeans (save iapetus). Who knows if any of them have even read this thread.

I remain confident that our cries will be answered by Saturday.

Hooker

Finally :)

Morientes is going back to Real btw, he supposedly had a good conversation with Camacho and will again be playing in the royal white. I wonder who will sit on the bench next year :/

Hooker

They won't win

Only thing you have to do is put a couple of guys on Totti and their whole offense will be killed. And we Dutchman have a bone to pick with them, payback's a bitch :D

Wow, wasn't expecting a sticky at all.

Getting really excited now, there were a load of previews on today. Between Eurosport and Sky Sports, I must have watched around 4 hours of previews. Eurosport in particular had some great moments from Euros past, that Van Basten goal and the famous Czech penalty being two of the highlights.

I remeber 88 like it was yesterday, it was the first tournament that Ireland qualified for and we played a blinder. We were only 8 minutes away from the semis when a lucky Wim Keift goal for the Dutch knocked us out. Still, at least we beat England. :)

Hooker

Ah me too, there are about 4 channels playing stuff from old tournaments the whole day through. It's GREAT :D

And yes, that San Marco goal is simply mindblowing. One of the visually most pleasing goals ever. Also one of the hardest to make, I remember mimicking that goal for 4 years straight (until Euro '92 :p) but never succeded :(

I hope this tournament will be something similar Euro2000. GREAT games to watch, a surprise here and there. But this time I want the best team to win (Which was Holland :()

Hooker

No betting for me this tournament, even though I've always done pretty well :/

And more and more people are complaining about the ball. Kinda funny how only Adidas' biggest stars are praising it (Zidane, Beckham). The whole Spanish squad has already condemned the damn thing to hell, Fernando Torres even said "this thing shouldn't even be called a ball!". The Czechs are also having problems with it, saying that this ball messe up the way they play (counter-football) which should be in favour of the Dutch :D

Hooker

In other news, Guily has reached an agreement with Barça.

If they get a new striker they will have a offense rivaling even Real's :) (maybe even surpassing it :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom