• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET's Reisinger: Sega should release a new console.

I hate Reisinger. But I would also love 9/09/09 to be true, so...

There's no debating the fact that Sega has been a relative failure in the software space. Since its decision to drop out of the hardware game, the company has had a few minor hits, but nothing has been developed that we can classify as a blockbuster. And in an environment where we're seeing a significant push towards consolidation, the company really only has two options: sell the company to the highest bidder or develop a console.

And considering the fact that there are a slew of more attractive developers out there with better franchises, I just don't see too many large firms going after Sega. And it's for that reason that it needs to find a way to differentiate itself and take a stab at the hardware market.

In order for Sega to truly keep its game division afloat, it'll need to develop hardware that's both forward-thinking and inexorably tied to the online space. Beyond that, it'll need to repair the issues it may still have with retailers and some other developers and endeavor to build a console that can compete on the same level with the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3.

More than anything though, the return of Sega should be the centerpiece of its entire campaign. I truly believe that there are millions across the globe that would invite Sega back into the hardware business and as long as the games were plentiful, even those who have never played a game on a Sega console may want to get in on the action.

Although it's risky, I simply don't see any other way Sega can revive its business. With slow growth and losses each year, how can the company truly expect to compete in this increasingly competitive market without some sort of action?

Sega should be a hardware company. It's as simple as that.

I don't think the writer is aware of the billions it would cost to develop a console that would outdo MS/Sony in HD and online and out-innovate Nintendo. But he's never let facts or common sense get in the way before, so...

Link

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
So...because Sega are losing a tonne of money, they should get back into the hardware field?

Awesome logic.

zaidr

I think Sega should co-develop something with Microsoft. MS needs some Japan love, and Sega will bring its next console that, and Europe always liked the Master System...and Sega surely can't make a console my itself and its dwindling net worth.

MS and Sega need eachother.

gkryhewy

ratzinger_wideweb__430x329.jpg

TreIII

Nah.

Sega stands to be doing much better through its numerous publishing deals, then it ever did throughout the course of time that yielded the Saturn and Dreamcast.

Besides, with its own internally designed games being so iffy as of late (RGG/Yakuza 3, VF5, various Sonic Team-crafted Sonic games, etc.), it just makes much more sense for Sega to just do more to raise up development teams like Platinum Games and etc.

wsippel

Banned
That's what Sega had to say yesterday:

Let me talk a little bit about where Sega is right now. The last three years or so of Sega has spent an enormous effort revitalizing its business -- changing its strategies, completely embracing the life as a multi-platform publisher instead of a hardware company.

In 2004, in North America, we were barely struggling to be a top twenty publisher. This year, we're third and number six, pretty much every month, and its going to get better and better. We think one of the best years, maybe THE best year of our entire history lies ahead of us.

[...]

On the Wii, and the DS, we are the leading non-first party publisher. We've sold globally over five million units of Mario and Sonic. We truly believe that the Wii is far more than just a causal game platform that everyone is talking about. The Wii has more than that. There's millions and millions of Wiis, its the most in-demand hardware system out there. So we have titles that will turn the Wii gaming world on its head.
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18675

zaidr said:
I think Sega should co-develop something with Microsoft. MS needs some Japan love, and Sega will bring its next console that, and Europe always liked the Master System...and Sega surely can't make a console my itself and its dwindling net worth.

Yeah, 'cause that Xbox audience really laps up Sega's internal games.

Dali

No one would buy a Sega console. They've pissed away consumer trust over the years with their limited use hardware ending with the Dreamcast. Add to that the fact that after they ruined their hardware reputation they got to work shitting on their software rep.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I think Nintendo should buy SEGA, they should work on a console together that is more powerful than the Wii.

JavaMava

How well do those horrible sonic games sell? I bet they'd sell that many new consoles at least. Those sonic fans are creepy.

RBH

zaidr said:

shanewalk-1.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
zaidr said:

lol Sega is worst Japanese company you can pair with if you wanna break into Japan

legend166

zaidr said:

You're overestimating Sega's popularity in Japan.

m3k

So we have titles that will turn the Wii gaming world on its head. /quote

ports that will turn wii gaming on its head

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
JavaMava said:
How well do those horrible sonic games sell? I bet they'd sell that many new consoles at least. Those sonic fans are creepy.

Just put the guts of the console inside a Sonic or Cream plushy, and they'd sell a fuckton.

Just sell Sonic to Nintendo and Sega will be virtually useless in my eyes, good riddance, Nintendo can do wonders for Sonic.

I couldn't fucking care less if Sony or Microsoft bought Sega, as long as Sonic is under Nintendo's wing, that's all that matters as far as Sega and Sonic goes.

Sega's that bad.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
By the way, Sega should seriously consider releasing another handheld.

So you're suggestion is that Sega, with their limited financial means and more than 7 years out of the hardware business, should enter the most competitive handheld market ever, against 2 entrenched opponents with much more prominent brandnames and more resources?

wsippel

Banned
m3k said:
So we have titles that will turn the Wii gaming world on its head. /quote

ports that will turn wii gaming on its head
Well, MadWorld was revealed a few minutes later at the same press conference...

Bebpo

Banned
Guybrush Threepwood said:
I have one picture for the doubters:

l19840559024_3688.jpg

3 bombs will help Sega make more money?

Or are you suggesting a Dreamcast 2 with launch Platinum Games lineup would be the answer?

Because I don't agree with statement #1 but I'm all for #2.

zaidr

I guess I'm looking at all this through rose tinted glasses. I loved my Genesis, and adored SEGA channel, and I got a DC for dirt cheap, so no ill will on my part toward SEGA.

What makes people hate SEGA in Japan though? Its a Japanese company, so their xenophobia's instantly gone, right?

And even though the xbox gamers won't lap up things like Samba de Amigo or Sonic at the Olympics, they sure like Condemned, and titles announced from PLATINUM games look pretty kick ass.

I thought the articles author said SEGA's first party stuff lost money anyway.:D

Chrange

Banned
And the only way it can do that is to release its own video game console.

Or they could try, and this is just wild spitballing here, releasing more good games than bad games in a year?

Bebpo

Banned
zaidr said:
I guess I'm looking at all this through rose tinted glasses. I loved my Genesis, and adored SEGA channel, and I got a DC for dirt cheap, so no ill will on my part toward SEGA.

What makes people hate SEGA in Japan though? Its a Japanese company, so their xenophobia's instantly gone, right?

And even though the xbox gamers won't lap up things like Samba de Amigo or Sonic at the Olympics, they sure like Condemned, and titles announced from PLATINUM games look pretty kick ass.

I thought the articles author said SEGA's first party stuff lost money anyway.:D

I'm with you there. I never got burned by Sega and I bought a launch Saturn >_< But I mean they sent me VF Remix for free later so that made up for the overpricing. I didn't buy a Sega CD or 32x though so those might be what doomed Sega forever.

Microsoft should buy Sega, and they should co-develop Microsoft's next console, put the Sega name on it and Japan will buy it...

Ahh, 10th post already said the same thing I did, so obviously it should happen.

camineet

Banned
SEGA's next-console: Enterprise, named after the Sega's corporate name, Sega Enterprises
and also the name of the real-life aircraft carrier and video game carrier in AFTER BURNER.

The Enterprise will offer new enterprise oppertunities for Sega and third party developers with a next-generation platform that goes beyond today's current-gen HD consoles and Wii.

Leveraging upcoming technologies such as manycore CPUS and upcoming DX11-capable graphics cards as well as next-generation highbandwidth memory solutions and solid-state mass storage and removable media. Enterprise will offer developers the palette to create game experiences only dreamed of in recent years, and that are not possible on Xbox 360, PlayStation3, Wii or PC. Enterprise will have a unique controller that allows it to be reconfigured in a variety of ways. Traditional dual-analog control schemes are not left out, and the interface has motion sensing capabilities that go beyond those of Wii. Full head-tracking will be a future capability for Enterprise.

Sega will be launching next-generation games based on its core IP such as

Shinobi: Curse of NeoZeed
Phantasy Star V: Reign of Profound Darkness
Daytona USA: Blue Skies
Virtua Fighter 6
Sonic and Tails
Golden Axe: The Path of Blood
Altered Beast: Rise of Neff
Shining Force IV
and other titles.

Release date: 10/10/2010 - price: $399, with two control interfaces and included is the first half of the new Sonic and Tails game.

f they did develop another console, it should be an HD budget console. Wii price with comparable graphics to the X360 and the PS3. I don't see how developing a console would eliminate their financial woes unless they made profit off the console and it had some really great games.

Top Bottom