• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET's Reisinger: Sega should release a new console.

zaidr

I never bought a Sega CD or 32X either, but boy did I want one when I saw them in stores. You don't really care what they do, you just want stuff when you're 8 years old..."they make my sega better!"

camineet said:
SEGA's next-console: Enterprise, named after the Sega's corporate name, Sega Enterprises
and also the name of the real-life aircraft carrier and video game carrier in AFTER BURNER.

The Enterprise will offer new enterprise oppertunities for Sega and third party developers with a next-generation platform that goes beyond today's current-gen HD consoles and Wii.

Leveraging upcoming technologies such as manycore CPUS and upcoming DX11-capable graphics cards as well as next-generation highbandwidth memory solutions and solid-state mass storage and removable media. Enterprise will offer developers the palette to create game experiences only dreamed of in recent years, and that are not possible on Xbox 360, PlayStation3, Wii or PC. Enterprise will have a unique controller that allows it to be reconfigured in a variety of ways. Traditional dual-analog control schemes are not left out, and the interface has motion sensing capabilities that go beyond those of Wii. Full head-tracking will be a future capability for Enterprise.

Sega will be launching next-generation games based on its core IP such as PhantasyStarV
Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 6, Sonic and Tails, Golden Axe: The Path of Blood, and other titles.

I wish.

zaidr said:
I think Sega should co-develop something with Microsoft. MS needs some Japan love, and Sega will bring its next console that, and Europe always liked the Master System...and Sega surely can't make a console my itself and its dwindling net worth.

MS and Sega need eachother.

You were so close. Here's the total package: MS + Sega + SONY!

MS does the Live work. Sony does the hardware, partially. Sega develops the arcade board to power the arcade side of it.

With their powers combined, they would get arcade flavor, Blu-Ray capabilities, and the best online service in the industry.

9/9/9 will be the announcement of the "Dream Team". We may not be casting dreams, but the dream is still alive.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
4 console market! plus 2 handhelds! Believe!!!!!

Diablos

Whatever, the Dreamcast launch still kicks everything else in the ass. Honestly. Has any other console ever launched with so many good games?

Pachael

I think the news outlets need something better than just 'Nintendo wins. Again'. I want to see a bloodied contest, but Sega is beyond hope hardware-wise, especially with Sammy and their pachinko base (which looks to be decreasing, and if I know them they'll argue that more people are playing the Wii, so don't go out and play pachinko anymore. To that I go Hahaha)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Diablos said:
Whatever, the Dreamcast launch still kicks everything else in the ass. Honestly. Has any other console ever launched with so many good games?

I thought the 360 had a decent launch "window" lineup.

Dreamcast had a great launch and then..... well we won't talk about that

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
If they released another console they would probably implode financially. I'd rather they tried to capture their former glory with great games on the hardware that's already out there.

Onix said:
This guy works for CNET!?!?

CNET credibility -1,000,000

You haven't run in to Reisinger's articles before? He's got a long history of really stupid articles.

I mean, a new Sega console would be cool, but it makes absolutely no business or logical sense. Not unless Sega suddenly found billions of dollars somewhere and were somehow able to compete with the others financially, that is... that's the only way to make the scenario even remotely plausible. The Dreamcast died because Sega didn't have enough money to properly support it. The only way the DC could possibly have survived longer than it did was if it had become an instant Wii-level internation smash hit. That didn't come even close to happening... and it likely wouldn't again. Why release a console that you will only have to abandon after a relatively short time because you're out of money again, just like the last time? It would make absolutely no sense, unfortunately.

Because yeah, Sega v. Nintendo again would be great. It just won't happen anytime soon.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TwinIonEngines said:
No, he died saving Sega HQ from a rocket. And I was basically the only one who noticed.

He got tired of GAF and left.

Please tell me you are joking =(

Perdew

God that was pretty out there. 9/9/9 believe!, though.

Honestly, if Sega is going to 'pair up' with anybody, it'd be Nintendo. Their largest selling game featured Mario, afterall.

I really like their new direction, though, and the Platinum Games announcement has given me hope for the company. Even if they are stumbling, they are going back to their old franchises and bringing them back (like NiGHTS), while doing some clever publishing deals with dev's who made companies like Capcom great. Plus, they've always had a loving relationship with Treasure, so I wouldn't mind seeing a few more games of theirs published under Sega's belt.

They could end up being my most trusted publisher the later half of the generation (Capcom has definitely taken a fall for me).

camineet

Banned
There were rumors of a new Sega console in 1996 / early 1997. People did not believe it. They thought, no, after Saturn, Sega will go third party. Many people did not believe the reports about Black Belt and Dural in mid-1997. However as Dural emerged as a real machine, officially named Katana, people remained secptical it would work, but they knew it was real. Dreamcast became a reality in 1998.

I'm not saying Sega will come out with a new console in the forseeable future, but I wouldn't rule out a grand alliance of some sort with other electronics, semiconductor and game companies, that include Sega, to challenge Nintendo-Microsoft-Sony.

Samsung/Matsushita/Sega/Capcom/Nvidia/Intel/Apple ?

I can only dream

Ariexv

So sega lost a ton of money... so they should make another console even though consoles cost a retarded amount of money to start up....

I'd buy it day one, but it isn't going to happen.

In retrospect, I wish Microsoft would have purchased SEGA. I honestly think that it would have been a much better purchase than RARE. SEGA is a company rich with IPs that span many, many genres. They literally have every genre covered.

Terrell

Himuro said:
Sega can't come back. the market is too crowded. The only way Sega could come back is if they teamed up with nintendo or something, and who wants that?
People who want them to stop making games on systems that they don't have an audience on? Seriously, a sloppy port of HotD3 on Wii has already outsold the original release of the same game... what the hell does this say?! I mean, I COULD go on about all the blunders they've had with their franchises so far, but I'm afraid people might think of me as inciting and/or partaking in "list warz".
I've said it since this third-party business started, sub-dividing their fanbase was the most bone-headed thing ever.

if microsoft drops out again, they could take another shot.

i dont see any chance to release a console in the current market and be successful for them.

Bebpo

Banned
Blackace said:
4 console market! plus 2 handhelds! Believe!!!!!

You think the current 3 console makers will still be making consoles for the next go around? I'm not so sure about that...

Jirotrom

Honestly... Id love another sega console I really would... but this guys reasonings are a bit... weird.

Himuro said:
Sega can't come back. the market is too crowded. The only way Sega could come back is if they teamed up with nintendo or something, and who wants that?
I DO!!!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Bebpo said:
You think the current 3 console makers will still be making consoles for the next go around? I'm not so sure about that...

I'm sure they will...it'll just be a long time coming

xabre

Banned
Why aren't Sega developing hardware peripherals and the games to go along with these on Wii? Based on their arcade history doesn't this make sense?

Jirotrom

TwinIonEngines said:
No, he died saving Sega HQ from a rocket. And I was basically the only one who noticed.

He got tired of GAF and left.
no way... fuck, someone tell him to join the OT... maybe he'll find new love over there:(

bjork

It goes like this:
EA buys Take-Two

EA buys Sammy

Microsoft buys EA

MS renames its games division SEGA

David Rosen spins in his grave with enough centrifugal force to send the earth into a reverse spin, taking us back in time and causing Dreamcast to outsell the PS2/GC/Xbox

The statue of liberty is buried on some beach.

Dali said:
No one would buy a Sega console. They've pissed away consumer trust over the years with their limited use hardware ending with the Dreamcast. Add to that the fact that after they ruined their hardware reputation they got to work shitting on their software rep.

Duuuuuuude!!! I'd be first in freak'n line! Sega would have to kill me to loose my support!!

bjork

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Duuuuuuude!!! I'd be first in freak'n line! Sega would have to kill me to loose my support!!

Seriously. It's been a long time since people had to deal with Sega, so the negatives are not fresh in their minds. It's like if WCW was relaunched tomorrow, people would forget David Arquette as champ.

JeremyR

They won't, but I think they could come up with hardware pretty quickly. Take a page from the original Xbox, and use their Lindbergh system as the basis. Basically a PC with fixed specs.

bjork said:
Seriously. It's been a long time since people had to deal with Sega, so the negatives are not fresh in their minds. It's like if WCW was relaunched tomorrow, people would forget David Arquette as champ.

Definitely!! I was a little irked with the way the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast were handled, but with all the great games I can't stay mad for long!! :D

Tiktaalik

This guy must be a gambling addict or something.

"Huh I'm losing? Well I better put all my money on black and hope it all turns out well!!"

Tiktaalik

Honestly at some point in the future Sega, if Sega has rebuilt themselves and re-established some core franchises (big if lol) they could release a handheld and ride a wave of nostalgia to success. The present is just too early though. I would say give it another 5 years minimum.

Top Bottom