• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET's Reisinger: Sega should release a new console.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Sega we knew in the past is long gone. Even if they delivered another console, they wouldn't have the software to back it up. The Dreamcast failed and it managed to offer plenty of fantastic games.

hc2

zaidr said:
I think Sega should co-develop something with Microsoft. MS needs some Japan love, and Sega will bring its next console that, and Europe always liked the Master System...and Sega surely can't make a console my itself and its dwindling net worth.

MS and Sega need eachother.

"Zunega" portable gaming device? :lol

Sega should make a console based on their arcade boards and then have a line-up of perfect arcade ports, digital distribution for the older games. And put up some rarer Saturn and DC games up there as well like Panzer Dragoon Saga.

My theory is Sega's been so "meh" because they don't have to make games to drive hardware sales anymore. Previously, they had to make software in order to sell their hardware, but now, they don't need to actually sell anybody's hardware - they're in bed with everyone, so all they really need to do is sell enough software to keep the company afloat. In addition, the arcades, once Sega's biggest strength, have all but withered and died.

It's hard to tell if things would actually get better if Sega was bought out by say, Nintendo, so that all Sega games became Wii/DS exclusive, though.

Dave Long

Banned
I would love to have a Sega Online console where I can buy all their back catalog Virtual Console style over the Internet, but also play new games as well.

Since that's never going to happen, I'd rather see them spend most of their effort on Wii, DS, PS3 and PSP because I really don't think the Microsoft crowd gives a crap about their games.

If they do create that online console, I suggest the name SEGA Online System. Also known as... S.O.S.

Halcyon776

Neo Member
well with all this casual space nintendo has opened up to gaming; all Sega needs is a wii-sports knock-off a few sonic games and they're in; if they go after the casual market they have a good chance to be successful; especially if its cheap.

Fewr

Halcyon776 said:
well with all this casual space nintendo has opened up to gaming; all Sega needs is a wii-sports knock-off a few sonic games and they're in; if they go after the casual market they have a good chance to be successful; especially if its cheap.
Wouldn't that be the Mario & Sonic game?
How many copies did that thing sell? not enough?

Pachael

Fewr said:

That sold enough, but I think it's leveraged the Mario brand to its advantage, so it doesn't count. Look at Superstars (?) Tennis for a bomb.

Fewr

Pachael said:
That sold enough, but I think it's leveraged the Mario brand to its advantage, so it doesn't count. Look at Superstars (?) Tennis for a bomb.
Hmm.. true. If a casual game developed by Sega with Mario, Sonic AND the Olympic games for Wii/DS failed then all hope would be lost.

Fewr said:
I love how Sega refers to themselves as Wii's "top third-party publisher" and yet they had to borrow Nintendo's own mascot and name value to pull off that feat.

What they should really be doing is latching the Mario name onto all of their titles.

Instead of Sega Superstars Tennis, we'd have Mario & Sonic Play Tennis.
Instead of Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, we'd have Mario Monkey Madness.
Instead of Ghost Squad, we'd have Mario's Bikini Babe Blastathon.
Instead of Sonic and the Secret Rings, we'd have Mario, Sonic and the Shitty Friends.

pswii60

Most (all?) the talent left Sega a long time ago. They haven't been successful in the software space because their recent games have sucked. Not because they're not on their own hardware.

Sharp

Fewr said:
Hmm.. true. If a casual game developed by Sega with Mario, Sonic AND the Olympic games for Wii/DS failed then all hope would be lost.
5 million for Mario & Sonic. And Superstars Tennis didn't sell well because (at least based on the 360 demo) it's a pretty bad game.

Fewr

B-Rad Lascelle said:
I love how Sega refers to themselves as Wii's "top third-party publisher" and yet they had to borrow Nintendo's own mascot and name value to pull off that feat.
Who's wii's top third party publisher then? I think it's Capcom.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
i think they should do it...
because such a move can only have two outcomes:
1- making good software like they used all in one place.
or
2- they continue making crappy games on the console but which will make the other systems crappy-Sega-soft-free.

stuminus3

I think Sega are doing just fine riding on the coat-tails of Nintendo's success.

I think it's great that they're doing so well on Wii/DS, when most other third parties are struggling to compete with Nintendo themselves. The fact that they've got eggs in other baskets, including some investment in some awesome Western (or Western-centric) talent, is pretty nice too.

Wow, that still feels weird to say. Still got too much of the old school in me. :O

jarrod

Banned
Upcoming SEGA consumer games...

-Aliens: Colonial Marines (360/PC/PS3) Gearbox Software
-Alpha Protocol (360/PC/PS3) Obsidian Entertainment
-Bayonetta (360/PS3) Platinum Games
-Beijing 2008: The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games (360/PC/PS3) Eurocom Entertainment
-Bleach: The 3rd Phantom (DS) tba
-Culdcept DS (DS) Omiya Soft/Jamsworks
-Empire: Total War (PC) The Creative Assembly
-English of the Dead (DS)
-Fushigi no Dungeon: Furai no Shiren 3: Karakuri Yashiki no Nemuri Hime (Wii) Chunsoft
-Golden Axe: Beast Rider (360/PS3) Secret Level
-Happy Tree Friends False Alarm (PC/XBLA) Mondo Media
-Imabikisou: Kaimei Hen (Wii) Chunsoft
-Infinite Line (DS) Nudemaker/Platinum Games
-Initial D: Extreme Stage (PS3)
-Madworld (Wii) Platinum Games
-Phantasy Star Portable (PSP) Alfa System
-Pro Yakyuu Team o Tsukurou! (DS)
-Samba de Amigo (Wii) Gearbox Software
-SanGokuShi Taisen Ten (DS)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Fantasy Zone II DX (PS2) tba
-Sega Splash! Golf (PS2)
-Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (DS) Bioware
-Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3)
-Sonic Unleashed (PS2/Wii) DIMPS
-Space Siege (PC) Gas Powered Games
-The Incredible Hulk (360/PC/PS2/PS3/Wii) Edge of Reality
-The Incredible Hulk (DS) Amaze Entertainment
-World Destruction (DS) Image Epoch

...Sega proper seems to be working on just DS and arcade stuff for the most part.

eve241

All of Sega's consoles were great and had great games. So although I don't think that will happen, I would love for there to be a new Sega console.

beat

Reisinger said:
And considering the fact that there are a slew of more attractive developers out there with better franchises

What? There are a few developer/publishers with bigger individual stars in their portfolio, but who has as awesome a back catalogue of franchises to mine?

I so want to believe!

I had so many fun memories having non-gamers play Sega Bass Fishing with the fishing rod (mind you it had an accelerometer so you had to actually do the motions of casting and pulling it left and right)...

Once they learned how to fish, and watching people freak out when the rod started vibrating once they caught a fish it was a blast. My mom screamed and dropped the controller because she didn't expect that it would vibrate :lol

Syntek

somuchwater said:
I don't think the writer is aware of the billions it would cost to develop a console that would outdo MS/Sony in HD and online and out-innovate Nintendo. But he's never let facts or common sense get in the way before, so...

You don't need billions to come up with great ideas, all you need is a great mind, and booze. The hardware can probably be rigged up from a Dreamcast in someone's basement. It worked for Nintendo with the Wii :lol

Tain

I actually really like Sega as a publisher right now. It's weird seeing them like this, but they aren't doing a bad job.

More importantly, their arcade division is still awesome.

Upcoming SEGA consumer games...

-SanGokuShi Taisen Ten (DS)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Fantasy Zone II DX (PS2) tba

...Sega proper seems to be working on just DS and arcade stuff for the most part.

whoop whoop

kojacker

Sega would be much better off getting the developers together again to make me my online Jet Set Radio world, where i can join online skate gangs and get Gum naked.

Edit: However, if they did release another console, it would make my heart glad. Though it probably wouldn't be viable. It would still make me heart glad. Another Dreamcast, updated and with the games and sales it would deserve, would be wonderful.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Didn't this guy declare the Saturn to be the Worst. Console. Evar?

RBH said:
shanewalk-1.gif

Even Mangod is wondering WTF is going on...

Just give me another Daytona USA game already... :kittonwyindifferent.jpg:

Maztorre

This article is idiocy, Sega are making more cash now than they ever have been during their years in the wilderness.

What really needs to happen is the replacement of the Sega/Sammy management at Sega of Japan who have all but ruined most of the console output of their Japanese studios. All that's left from Japan really is the remainder of Amusement Vision Nagoshi has under his control, and the arcade studios. Sonic Team, and the Sonic brand in general, have become a joke in the industry.

A good investor would get rid of the lunatics who have been in control of the company since the end of the Dreamcast and reward divisions like Sega Europe who have produced successful titles and made good publishing deals with Western development teams.

jestro

Banned
Maybe if Sega was still the same Sega from before the death of the Dreamcast and there weren't 3 competeing consoles (arguably 5) on the market this might make sense...

Bleh... still wtb 09/09/09

samratty

bjork said:
It goes like this:
EA buys Take-Two

EA buys Sammy

Microsoft buys EA

MS renames its games division SEGA

David Rosen spins in his grave with enough centrifugal force to send the earth into a reverse spin, taking us back in time and causing Dreamcast to outsell the PS2/GC/Xbox

The statue of liberty is buried on some beach.
Maniacs, you blew it up! GODDAMN YOU TO HELL!

Sega had a ton of great IP's and millions of fans of said IP's. But after a great first wave of 3rd party releases, they really hurt themselves with bad decision after bad decision. They let a number of their IP's either languish in obscurity or weakened them with incredibly average-to-poor updates. THEN they lost a number of their talented developers and producers or minimized their effectiveness.

So what would help them now? They may be beyond repair. But if they committed, and I mean COMMITTED, to high profile updates of their most beloved IP's with a commitment to 3 to 4 of them being released a year, they could slowly build the company back up to possibly Capcom levels. But the games will have to good. REAL good. Its not about how many your release, its about how great they are. Follow the Nintendo strategy in that regard.

I was a firm believer in Sega going way back to Congo Bongo. Though I didn't own a SMS, I did own all of their other home consoles (except 32X, but that doesn't really count) and really miss the innovative swagger they used to have. But I am now of the opinion that those memories are all that I will have, because I truly don't see them doing what I outlined above. Not one bit.

Sydle

Sorry, that's a terrible idea. What they need to do is some house cleaning with regards to management. Everyone on the top level needs to GTFO.

dacuk

camineet said:
SEGA's next-console: Enterprise, named after the Sega's corporate name, Sega Enterprises
and also the name of the real-life aircraft carrier and video game carrier in AFTER BURNER.

The Enterprise will offer new enterprise oppertunities for Sega and third party developers with a next-generation platform that goes beyond today's current-gen HD consoles and Wii.

Leveraging upcoming technologies such as manycore CPUS and upcoming DX11-capable graphics cards as well as next-generation highbandwidth memory solutions and solid-state mass storage and removable media. Enterprise will offer developers the palette to create game experiences only dreamed of in recent years, and that are not possible on Xbox 360, PlayStation3, Wii or PC. Enterprise will have a unique controller that allows it to be reconfigured in a variety of ways. Traditional dual-analog control schemes are not left out, and the interface has motion sensing capabilities that go beyond those of Wii. Full head-tracking will be a future capability for Enterprise.

Sega will be launching next-generation games based on its core IP such as

Shinobi: Curse of NeoZeed
Phantasy Star V: Reign of Profound Darkness
Daytona USA: Blue Skies
Virtua Fighter 6
Sonic and Tails
Golden Axe: The Path of Blood
Altered Beast: Rise of Neff
Shining Force IV
and other titles.

Release date: 10/10/2010 - price: $399, with two control interfaces and included is the first half of the new Sonic and Tails game.

This is what Sega has to do:

1- Release sequels to their much adored franchises in Wii/PS2 (Where the hell is my Streets of Rage 4????)

2- Release brand new IPS for PS3 and X360.

3- A selection of both above for DS and PSP

4- Instant Win!

[Nintex]

Darth Tigris said:
So what would help them now? They may be beyond repair. But if they committed, and I mean COMMITTED, to high profile updates of their most beloved IP's with a commitment to 3 to 4 of them being released a year, they could slowly build the company back up to possibly Capcom levels. But the games will have to good. REAL good. Its not about how many your release, its about how great they are. Follow the Nintendo strategy in that regard.
SEGA is to big to stay afloat with a couple of titles. It all went to hell when they gave Yuji Naka a Ferrari and made him all pimp and shit. Now he's gone, Yu Suzuki ran for the hills and Nagoshi is the only one at SEGA who has a clue how to make games. SEGA can't survive with 3/4 titles a year. They are already losing money and I don't see them cutting back costs any time soon. They don't have many dev teams left and projects and teams that show great promise(SEGA RALLY!!) are let go/shut down because they don't make enough money. The game was great for SEGA standards and they nailed the arcade feeling. SEGA failed with marketing though.

As a publisher SEGA is doing great, Madworld and other Platinum Games ... games the Viking game and many other SEGA "published" titles are actually good. I guess they could make alot more money if the company wasn't a disaster. The Sammy merger never made any sense and I think they've just been digging their grave deeper and deeper. I really like SEGA and in each of their games there's still a "spark" left of the SEGA of old. On the other hand there's the SEGA/Sammy company who's bleeding money and making bad decisions. Someone should step up and buy everything or the board of directors should be replaced by people who know Videogames.

SEGA should do what Nintendo did some time ago. Change their internal structure and development teams be more efficient since they're rushing everything out of the door anyway. When I look at those Yakuza(?) games from Nagoshi I think that those could do well with proper localization. It would take a couple of months, but SEGA could do a more western version of those games. I've never seen a company who raped their mascot like SEGA did. Sonic is SEGA and they need to branch out with other titles or make a great Sonic game to put SEGA back on the map. Not all is lost though, Sega Rally, Sonic Rush/Adventure, Ghost Squad, Virtua Fighter 5 etc. some people at SEGA are still capable of making great games.

I always welcome a new console, but could the current SEGA build a reliable console? Isn't one RROD enough? If their console is as buggy as their games I'll pass. It would be one hell of a move if they did release a console they would never stand a chance against the competition without any money(hats) to throw around.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
That guy is smoking some serious crack if he thinks that his idea is plausible. Jeesh, Sega was a miserable failure in the hardware business, and trying to get in now when it costs SOOO much more to market and develop a console is just insane. Not to mention the competition is much more fierce than before. Wow that guy is nuts.

Kosma

Banned
Day one for sure if they bring that arcade shit back.

Seeeeeeegaaaaaaaaaaa.

Never ever going to happen but hey.

Billen

Banned
Sega developing a new console is a great idea. Better yet, maybe they could buy the rights for the CD-I and the CD-32 and make it a multimedia machine? Possibly a machine with modules, so that you could turn it into a stairwell by buying all addons.

I mean, it's not as if developing a new console is expensive anyway. And the opposition hardly throws away Segas entire market value at adspace each month.

Top Bottom