• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, the hotdog eating contest is Friday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

Supposedly this year's contest is only gonna be 10 minutes long, and Kobayashi fell apart at the end last year.

Who wants some action?

bjork said:
Supposedly this year's contest is only gonna be 10 minutes long, and Kobayashi fell apart at the end last year.

Who wants some action?

snipshot_e4ia41c6jjs.jpg

bjork

I can't find a roster of who'll be there, but if he is, I'll go double or nothing on last year's bet.

DuckRacer

bjork said:

Who wants some action?
wtf, only 10 minutes?

*googles*

http://www.seriouseats.com/required...ns-hot-dog-eating-contest-shortened-to-t.html

The famous July Fourth hot dog eating contest at Nathan's in Coney Island will be shortened this year from 12 minutes to 10. Major League Eating, the organization that runs the event, says it discovered random notes and scribblings in a "trove of numerous old items and ephemera" at the original Nathan's stand in Coney Island that implied that the contest's traditional length was actually 10 minutes.

"The issue is history, and the preponderance of the event suggests that the contest was always 10 minutes," said George Shea, chairman of the MLE, in the Brooklyn Paper. All qualifying rounds of the 2008 circuit tour will follow suit and become 10-minute competitions, and the change will most likely be permanent.

Given that current world champion Joey Chestnut beat out six-time champ Takeru "The Tsunami" Kobayashi last year only in the last few minutes of the contest, does shaving off those last two minutes dramatically change the playing field? We talked to Major League Eating media manager Ryan Nerz about to find out.

"Kobayashi was neck and neck with Joey Chestnut throughout the contest [last year]," Nerz said. "If you asked the top four eaters, they'd tell you that the last two minutes are often the least productive. They're usually just worried about whether they're going to finish."

Would anyone stand to benefit from the change? "Pat Bertoletti might be salivating a bit because he's fast out of the gate," Nerz said.

The bigger question: How do you account for the older 12-minute records in the new 10-minute-contest world? Nerz said that, assuming the 10-minute duration is adopted permanently, he didn't see any way to square the two. So Joey Chestnut will always hold the 12-minute record of 66 hot dogs and new records would be set in 10-minute standard bouts.

Guess those eaters will have to scarf down those hot dogs a little faster this year if they want to trump Chestnut's 66 dogs and buns.
Meh.

In other news, bjork, are you doing another ban bet this year? edit:
bjork said:
I can't find a roster of who'll be there, but if he is, I'll go double or nothing on last year's bet.
guess that settles that

bjork

If they're both there, I'll do the wager:

I'm saying Kobayashi might not win, but he'll beat Chestnut's total.

Ecrofirt said:
You shut the fuck up.

Well, that's not especially neighborly.

bjork

rakka said:
what happened?

He was pretty much neck and neck with Chestnut and then the last two minutes, he faded hard. If it's only 10 minutes this year, I bet he can do it.

bjork

God's Beard said:
As much of a hero Kobayashi is, I'll take that bet and be the bad guy.

Can we get a mod on this? Double or nothing rules on last year means I'm gone for a year if Kobayashi falls to Chestnut, and if he wins, nothing happens to God's Beard.

I suppose the bet is nullified if one of the two doesn't show up or is unable to compete.

bjork

"I have felt the pain of falling short in a big contest and it is a feeling that I want Kobayashi to have a second serving of. Last year Kobayashi broke in front of the world and I smiled. When Kobayashi lost control and forced himself to eat what had already been eaten, my self-inflicted pain was justified. Satisfaction also came when Kobayashi did not give up and coast to second place, he fought to the agonizing end. I have a lot of respect for kobayashi and someday I will be able to look at him without wanting to force him to suffer, but that day is not coming any time soon.

Joey"

What kind of pompous poor sportsmanship is this? What a jerk.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
bjork said:
Can we get a mod on this? Double or nothing rules on last year means I'm gone for a year if Kobayashi falls to Chestnut, and if he wins, nothing happens to God's Beard.

I suppose the bet is nullified if one of the two doesn't show up or is unable to compete.
bjork ;_;

bjork

GaimeGuy said:
bjork ;_;

We should set up a "third time's the charm" bet as well, just in case Kobayashi loses. If I lose and am banned until July 4 2009, there's no time to set one up. :lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
bjork said:
"I have felt the pain of falling short in a big contest and it is a feeling that I want Kobayashi to have a second serving of. Last year Kobayashi broke in front of the world and I smiled. When Kobayashi lost control and forced himself to eat what had already been eaten, my self-inflicted pain was justified. Satisfaction also came when Kobayashi did not give up and coast to second place, he fought to the agonizing end. I have a lot of respect for kobayashi and someday I will be able to look at him without wanting to force him to suffer, but that day is not coming any time soon.

Joey"

What kind of pompous poor sportsmanship is this? What a jerk.

Man this boxing match is going to be gritty...

bjork said:
If they say I can't do a ban bet, then I guess it's over. But I wanna wait and see.

Gaf OT doesn't want to lose you and I doubt the mods will endorse this one bet... why would you want to make Gaf OT cry?

Diablos

No fucking way would I EVER do something like this. I get sick just thinking about it. I have no idea how people do it.

Hootie

bjork said:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONONONO

Fireblend

Banned
Damn so one of my(and GAF's) major entertainment sources' destiny will be decided by a hotdog eating contest... again?! D:

bjork

God's Beard said:
wait, why won't anything happen to me if I lose? Isn't that the point of a bet? I'm sure someone wants me out of here for being a douche.

But it's double or nothing.

I figure, I missed six months last year, and I survived. A year might be a bit harder to take, and the point of life is to always go above and beyond your earlier triumphs and failures, right?

I suppose you could wager a year here too, or if people wanna set up a multi-person bet or something?

bjork said:

I figure, I missed six months last year, and I survived. A year might be a bit harder to take, and the point of life is to always go above and beyond your earlier triumphs and failures, right?

I suppose you could wager a year here too, or if people wanna set up a multi-person bet or something?
oh I figured I'd just be doing half of whatever you're doing. The only reason people wouldn't take your bet is because they like you too much.

I'll wager 6 vs. your 12. That way it's still double.

Diablos

bjork said:

That's balls, man. Balls. Hats off to you.

That's a good idea, bjork. Then let's make this caper just a tad more interesting. If Kobayashi wins this year's contest, permaban me. If he loses, I want bragging rights on the poster that defeated bjork. I also get your cape and cowl. >;P

bjork

castle007 said:
Bjork, can you post the original picture of your avatar? I remember seeing it once and it was hilarious. :lol

myavatar.jpg

The original, and then one someone made, not sure who:

hisavatar.jpg

Verboten said:
That's a good idea, bjork. Then let's make this caper just a tad more interesting. If Kobayashi wins this year's contest, permaban me. If he loses, I want bragging rights on the poster that defeated bjork. I also get your cape and cowl. >;P
But I want to be the one :-(

bjork

God's Beard said:
oh I figured I'd just be doing half of whatever you're doing. The only reason people wouldn't take your bet is because they like you too much.

I'll wager 6 vs. your 12. That way it's still double.

If that's what you wanna do. But I think if I don't see a mod approve it like Tre did last year, by the end of page 1 in this thread, then forget it. :p

Diablos said:
That's balls, man. Balls. Hats off to you.

You can still read the board if you're banned, you just can't participate. It's tough sometimes, I will admit.

Verboten said:

But see, you've probably got an alternate account... since this one existed before Serafitia was gone. So what's the point in that? A permaban v. you publicly unmasking yourself is a good wager, but there's no way to prove that it'd actually be the truth...

[edit - the avatar pic is from way early in the POST YOUR PICS thread, and I think the user was NLB2K? He's the dude with the curly hair. He posted it, and I liked the black guy in the back, so he is my avatar. :p]

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'll bite.. But you need to layout the rules in details. Like what happens if they both lose and so on..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom