• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation 2 titles coming to PSN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A poster from N4G? lol

A Poster on the N4G Forums has shown a picture showing PlayStation 2 titles on the PlayStation store. You can clearly see Metal Gear Solid 2 being priced at £12.99. While this remains a rumor for now, it is expected to be shown at E3 in a couple of weeks time.

PS2_store-1.jpg

I was speaking to a friend last night on MSN who works at Sony London. I was actually asking him about the new XMB update, and if he knows when it'll be out. He told me it was scheduled to launch E3, but more interesting was his info on a new Playstation 2 Store that'll also be announced at E3 too! Basically Sonys answer to Xbox Originals. He even sent me a pic, ive uploaded it here:

You see, this is the part that gets me. XMB comes out tomorow, his Sony "friend" should have known that.

Apparently, it wont be released during E3, but is scheduled for a late summer release. Most surprising is that its supposedly launching in Europe first! Guess Sony has realised how valuable us Europeans are to them!

http://forums.n4g.com/Playstation_2_Store/m_170267/tm.htm

fake or real. go gaf go!!

Dragon

Banned
It's been pointed out in the other thread, but the top of the store is going to have two categories very soon, Movies and Games. So I think the Store Top thing doesn't work.

Tieno

I can understand Sony having difficulty and pressure from retailers for putting up downloadable PS2 titles because they still sell them in store, but something like ICO would be very easy to put online. But a screen like that could very well be shooped.

itxaka

Defeatist
look I call it fake but:

1) If it´s true I´ll buy another ps3

2) If true, is normal that is coming to europe first, we are the ones without BC.

Anyway,

I was actually asking him about the new XMB update, and if he knows when it'll be out. He told me it was scheduled to launch E3

It´s out in two days so 75% and rising of being fake :_(

WHY DO YOU PLAY WITH MY FEELINGS!

Can Sony please handle the PS1 games first? I mean, I was very young during the PS1 days. There are plenty of games that I want to catch up on. I don't have the money or time to search ebay for these things. If they put all those Square games up, Vib Ribbon ect I would buy every single one. Plus I would die to play MGS again on my PSP.

Sure this is a cool idea, and I'm sure there will be some gems that I missed on PS2 up, but seriously calling it a PS1 Library is thinking very high.

The End

This would imply that they've got a software emulation for PS2 up and running, which would be great news for 40gb owners. Here's to hoping this means that you'll be able to just pop a disc in.

duckroll

MGS1 isn't out on US or Euro PSN even though it's been on JP PSN for months now, and yet MGS2 is the PS2 game they would showcase when announcing Euro PS2 titles for PSN? Somehow I don't think so...

andycapps

About time. Get on the ball with PS1 and PS2 releases on PSN, Sony! Roll in the money! Give me my Silent Hill 2 since I was dumb enough to trade it in a year or so ago and now can't find it!

Tom Penny

They aren't smart enough to do this.

Off topic but does anyone know how much space the OS takes up. I have a 40 gig and it says I only have 18 gigs left. I don't know how that can be. I don't own any PSN games and currently have no demos.

Unkind?

Doubtful.
If they decided to do that, it would most likely kill whatever the PS2 had left in it and the hardware sales for the PS2 would start to decline which obviously isn't what Sony wants due to the fact that it is still selling strong. Sony also said they want to keep supporting the PS2 into the future, thus.. No games will be on the PS3 until A) the system isn't selling anymore/no longer being produced and B) PS4(? who knows, it could be called anything.)

atomico

Princess Skittles said:
Please, they can't even release PS1 games now and half of the PS3s can't even play PS2 games. Faké.

software emulator?

still, most definitely fake (for now, at least)

andycapps

atomico said:
software emulator?

still, most definitely fake (for now, at least)

It could be fake, but I'd imagine the software emulation is coming to the 40 GB PS3's sometime pretty soon. Would be another nice E3 announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom