• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[CBC] Canadian NPD numbers - June 2008

SRG01

davepoobond said:
wow 542k for PS3??

Judging by the way the article is written, it's also implied that the PSP outsold the 360, which is consistent with US numbers.

Also in reference to the US thread: >50% increase in YTD sales means the Canadian videogame market outpaced the US percentage-wise by about 20%.

Firestorm said:
So May was:
DS: 43,400
PS3: ~23,300

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we only saw a 64% jump in PS3 sales as opposed to USA's 94% because Sony seriously undershipped MGS4 bundles to Canada compared to the US.

You're so bitter, man. :lol You keep saying this in nearly every thread!

But yeah, it's true that they undershipped to Canada. My local EB Games barely had any and any stock at FS/BB didn't last long at all.

Dalthien

Firestorm said:
So May was:
DS: 43,400
PS3: ~23,300

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we only saw a 64% jump in PS3 sales as opposed to USA's 94% because Sony seriously undershipped MGS4 bundles to Canada compared to the US.

Edit: When did we stop receiving NPD numbers again?
CBC has LTDs up to January 08: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/technology-blog/2008/02/ps3_coming_on_strong.html#more
I can give you updated numbers through April if that helps. But I'm still hoping that we might get a half-year report soon which updates everything through June. There's no guarantee of that though.

In any case, Wii should be almost exactly 1 million units now.

btkadams

canadian_flag.gif

SHOW THE PRIDE

Firestorm

Dalthien said:
I can give you updated numbers through April if that helps. But I'm still hoping that we might get a half-year report soon which updates everything through June. There's no guarantee of that though.

In any case, Wii should be almost exactly 1 million units now.
Yes please.

Firestorm

SRG01 said:
You're so bitter, man. :lol You keep saying this in nearly every thread!

But yeah, it's true that they undershipped to Canada. My local EB Games barely had any and any stock at FS/BB didn't last long at all.
Yeah bitter. I just called 3 Blockbusters to see if they had any 60 GBs left >_> They're $399.99 apparently. Kingsway Vancouver, Kingsway Burnaby, and Hastings Burnaby have none.

Dalthien

Firestorm said:
Yes please.

Through April 2008:

WII ~ 870,000
360 ~ 800,000
PS3 ~ 425,000

So, we're probably looking at somewhere around WII ~ 1 million, 360 ~ 850k, PS3 ~ 487k through June, but the WII and 360 June numbers are just best estimates on my part. I'm guessing Wii is just right below a million, otherwise we probably should have had an announcement of the milestone.

Terrell

Mario Kart outsold MGS4 in Canada on the month of the game's launch.

This is cold hard encased-in-frozen-carbonite proof: Canada is part of Japan's Commonwealth of Nintendoland.

Arde5643

mckmas8808 said:
And people talk about needing a one console future and I still wonder why. 50% increase over last year.
People didn't talk much about one console future during PS2 era - only during the HD era it seems.

Oh .... I wonder why. :lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Arde5643 said:
People didn't talk much about one console future during PS2 era - only during the HD era it seems.

Oh .... I wonder why. :lol

are you kidding? people talked about it just as much

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Firestorm said:
PS2 generation basically was a one console generation.

You know, that's really strange to me. I guess maybe it was just the people that I hung out with, but it wasn't until halfway through last gen that I found out that Sony was trouncing Nintendo. I moved a lot as a kid around Ontario, but everywhere I went it was always Nintendo Nintendo Nintendo. I didn`t even know anyone that had a PSX, but all my friends owned N64s. Similarily, most of my friends owned gamecubes, and I only knew one person that bought a PS2. I wasn`t until I went to college that I met anyone that bought an X-box. Though nowadays it pretty much matches the sales ratio.

Firestorm

Adumaha said:
You know, that's really strange to me. I guess maybe it was just the people that I hung out with, but it wasn't until halfway through last gen that I found out that Sony was trouncing Nintendo. I moved a lot as a kid around Ontario, but everywhere I went it was always Nintendo Nintendo Nintendo. I didn`t even know anyone that had a PSX, but all my friends owned N64s. Similarily, most of my friends owned gamecubes, and I only knew one person that bought a PS2. I wasn`t until I went to college that I met anyone that bought an X-box. Though nowadays it pretty much matches the sales ratio.
For people I knew, it was 50/50 PS2/GCN split. Didn't really know anybody with an Xbox. I actually zero interest in an Xbox and still do. I own a total of 4 games on the Xbox and have no intention of buying any more... Ironic considering the 360's my favourite console this gen.

davepoobond said:
are you kidding? people talked about it just as much
Seriously. By the time the current generation hit it was cliché, and some of the notable users of the phrase had to start revising standards.

Top Bottom