• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Retail Musings for 7/20 - 7/26

Bizzyb

Banned
I'm still waiting for Mario Kart Wii so I can get my cousin her *birthday present...

*July 11th.

I'm sure a lot of little kids birthdays were ruined (or at the least disappointing) because of Nintendo's incompetence

Jammy

Banned
Kagari said:
No one cares about GH Aerosmith ^_^

Eh? The Wii game did 200,000 in less than a week in June. The PS2 and 360 versions weren't too far behind either.

That's near 600,000 on just those platforms.

Owensboro

So wow I'm late on this one, but which stores are having (or had, if I'm to late) the DS sale? I was planning on picking one up for DQ IV, but seeing as FFIV just came out, I might as well take the plunge now and pick it up.

If i'm to late, alas, such is my luck.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Private Hoffman said:
You do realize that producing a "slim PS3" is the result of the fabrication process size getting smaller, right?

It's not anywhere near small enough at 65 nm to produce a change in the size of the PS3.

Very true, they could cut more vents and make the fan smaller, but going to a slim PS3 is not worth it if it means an unreliable PS3.

Private Hoffman said:
This decision baffles me as well.

They're already making some decent coin on selling a PS3 at $500....if it genuinely does cost more to manufacture the system with BC, then allow consumers to pay for that premium.

I don't understand the push to do away with BC...

Apparently this is one of Kaz Hirai's decisions, and it's a genuinely boneheaded one, too.

According to interviews with Jack Tretton, the decision to cut BC was made very high up. It seems they wanted to cut every last bit of cost out of the system. It would only cost them $20-30 per unit to include BC, but it seems that's $20-30 they can't afford.

It's been selling above their expectations so I wonder if they'll re-consider.

Here in Canada, the MGS4 bundle doesn't exist. I finally saw 4 at Future Shop but they were gone next day. They got stacks of GH Aerosmith though :lol

jjasper

KernelPanic said:
It seems they wanted to cut every last bit of cost out of the system. It would only cost them $20-30 per unit to include BC, but it seems that's $20-30 they can't afford.

You know when you are going sell say 2-3 million of those this year that leads to 40,000,000-90,000,000 in savings.

carlosp

Banned
KernelPanic said:
According to interviews with Jack Tretton, the decision to cut BC was made very high up. It seems they wanted to cut every last bit of cost out of the system. It would only cost them $20-30 per unit to include BC, but it seems that's $20-30 they can't afford.

no you get it wrong. he said it wasn't cut off because of the costs but because they wanted to ps3 software to sell better and for that reason they cut it off. It will return next year for sure as some kind of software solution. Sony hired some engineers just for this task at the beginning of 2008. The decision was made to ensure the PS3 software sales.

carlosp said:
It will return next year for sure as some kind of software solution. Sony hired some engineers just for this task at the beginning of 2008. The decision was made to ensure the PS3 software sales.
This little factoid gets pulled out every now and then when discussing PS3 BC despite the fact that the job posting was ancient and we've seen absolutely nothing else which supports it since.

This little factoid gets pulled out every now and then when discussing PS3 BC despite the fact that the job posting was ancient and we've seen absolutely nothing else which supports it since.

Actually, Jack Tretton has publicly stated that BC is as dead as the dodo:-

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/16/scea-ceo-jack-tretton-dishes/

"I would like to have had it in there, but Sony's collective strategy determined we could afford to lose it. We've now gone down that road, and we're not going back."

Seems pretty clear cut.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
No Wii's
No Mario Karts
No WiiFits
80GB PS3's are still iffy on their stock
360's are slow to move even after the price drop

Civilization Revolution finally seems to be back in stock.

Soul Calibur IV is going to do very well. It's going to kick the pants off VF5 and DOA4 as the best selling fighter this gen.

Jammy

Banned
ZealousD said:
No Wii's
No Mario Karts
No WiiFits

Soul Calibur IV is going to do very well. It's going to kick the pants off VF5 and DOA4 as the best selling fighter this gen.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

*runs*

spwolf

ZealousD said:
No Wii's
No Mario Karts
No WiiFits

boobs of course.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Question for you retail guys: Do you think Civ:Rev hasn't shipped enough copies, or is it simply that popular?

I really hope it's the latter, it deserves it. I had no trouble picking up my copy on release day, but ever since I've only seen it once (PS3 version) on the shelves. Otherwise, it's sold out every time I check the local shops.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Diseased Yak said:
Question for you retail guys: Do you think Civ:Rev hasn't shipped enough copies, or is it simply that popular?

I really hope it's the latter, it deserves it. I had no trouble picking up my copy on release day, but ever since I've only seen it once (PS3 version) on the shelves. Otherwise, it's sold out every time I check the local shops.

PS3 version definitely got undershipped.

Kagari said:
PS3 version definitely got undershipped.

Presumably because retailers didn't order enougth based on estimates in turn based on preorders. Seems to mr Civ rev was an unexpected hit, my local gamestation here in the UK seems to run out of stock regularly.

spwolf

mr_bishiuk said:
Presumably because retailers didn't order enougth based on estimates in turn based on preorders. Seems to mr Civ rev was an unexpected hit, my local gamestation here in the UK seems to run out of stock regularly.

smaller games dont really have preorders, hence 95% of games would be undershipped.
A lot of it comes from what publisher expects from the game as well as retailer.

spwolf said:
smaller games dont really have preorders, hence 95% of games would be undershipped.
A lot of it comes from what publisher expects from the game as well as retailer.

I would have thought the retailer decides how many copies of a game it buys? The publisher then looks at these orders and decides how many it will produce, hence why devs regularly state how important preorders are.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
mr_bishiuk said:
I would have thought the retailer decides how many copies of a game it buys? The publisher then looks at these orders and decides how many it will produce, hence why devs regularly state how important preorders are.

Retailers decide how many copies to buy based on pre-orders and expected non-preorder volume. Publishers try to raise that amount or arm-twist the buy numbers and are sometimes successful. Publishers order a production run based on the sales-to-retailers and their ability to get a production order (sales > production ability: ruh-roh. production ability > sales: sometimes useful).

It's a little bit of both. The differential between retailer orders and publisher expectations impacts the quickness and preparedness publishers are for restocks. Capcom did not expect restocks for Phoenix Wright, so it took a month the first time that happened. On the other hand, briskly selling games are restocked on a week-by-week basis.

Plus, individual stores are restocked by distributors/chains so it's possible that while GameStop has many units of a piece of software, a store in the GameStop chain has none.

So there's a lot of links in the process and if they're not synchronized you get kinks suchs that the right amount of inventory is not available.

Stumpokapow said:
Retailers decide how many copies to buy based on pre-orders and expected non-preorder volume. Publishers try to raise that amount or arm-twist the buy numbers and are sometimes successful. Publishers order a production run based on the sales-to-retailers and their ability to get a production order (sales > production ability: ruh-roh. production ability > sales: sometimes useful).

It's a little bit of both. The differential between retailer orders and publisher expectations impacts the quickness and preparedness publishers are for restocks. Capcom did not expect restocks for Phoenix Wright, so it took a month the first time that happened. On the other hand, briskly selling games are restocked on a week-by-week basis.

Plus, individual stores are restocked by distributors/chains so it's possible that while GameStop has many units of a piece of software, a store in the GameStop chain has none.

So there's a lot of links in the process and if they're not synchronized you get kinks suchs that the right amount of inventory is not available.

Yes makes sense, I guess the publishers can do some arm twisting but knowing how these big companies work they'll look at the data they have on their own systems and that will be gospel.

The problem with Civ rev on both 360 and PS3 was that until the demo came out it wasn't really on anyone's radar, in turn pre orders were small and hence why we are seeing these issues now.

AniHawk

1. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - 92
2. Gears of War 2 - 76
3. Madden 2009 - 61
4. Guitar Hero: World Tour - 39
5. Halo Wars - 36
6. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King - 35
7. Fable 2 - 28
7. LEGO Batman - 28
9. Mario Super Sluggers - 24
10. Starcraft 2 - 17

DS:
Sonic Chronicles: 11
Harvest Moon: 5
Chrono Trigger: 3
Dragon Quest IV: 2
Kirby Super Star Ultra: 2
Bangaio Spirits: 1
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia: 1
Pokemon Ranger 2: 1

360:
Gears of War 2 - 76
Halo Wars: 36
Fable 2: 28
Too Human: 15
Tales of Vesperia: 5
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts: 2
Brutal Legend: 2
Infinite Undiscovery: 2

Wii:
Mario Super Sluggers: 24
Skate It: 7
Skate City Heroes: 5
Little King Story: 1
Tales of Symphonia 2: 1
Wario Land Shake It!: 1

PS3:
Killzone 2: 10
Little Big Planet: 7
Resistance 2: 6
SOCOM: 4
Bioshock: 2
Disgaea 3: 2

PS2:
Persona 4: 1
Mortal Kombat Kollection: 1

PC:
WoW Lich King: 35
Starcraft 2: 17
Spore: 9

Multi:
Star Wars Force Unleashed: 92 (53 360, 20 PS3, 14 Wii, 4 PSP, 1 PS2)
Madden 2009: 61 (29 360, 21 PS3, 7 PS2, 2 Wii, 2 PSP)
Guitar Hero World Tour: 39 (15 360, 12 Wii, 7 PS3, 3 PS2)
LEGO Batman: 28 (9 Wii, 7 360, 5 PSP, 3 PS2, 2 DS, 2 PS3)
Ghostbusters: 14 (6 360, 3 Wii, 3 PS2, 2 PS3)
Saint's Row 2: 13 (9 360, 4 PS3)
Street Fighter IV: 7 (5 PS3, 2 360)
Rock Band 2: 10 (8 360, 1 Wii, 1 PS3)
Sonic Unleashed: 9 (4 Wii, 3 360, 1 PS3, 1 PS2)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jtyettis said:
No Gears 2 numbers after their promotion this weekend, tsk tsk.

Going to be a seller.

That is just amazing.

That promotion was a bit silly. No one showed up for ours.

FrankT

Kagari said:
That promotion was a bit silly. No one showed up for ours.

I'm not talking about the tournament I'm talking about the reservation coupon (30% additional towards trade in) which I know at my local GS people were using all weekend as they were plastered everywhere. Regardless, reservations or not, Gears 2 will be one of the biggest sellers this fall.

RBH

Gears 2 is going to do some monster numbers this holiday season.

1.5 million for November NPD seems reachable imo since it will be released near the beginning of the November NPD time period (Nov. 7th).

zoku88

It's always striked me as weird that people would reserve titles that more or less wouldn't be hard to find soon after release.

DiddyBop

didnt know star wars console games were that popular,wow. also, lego batman will end up being one of the best selling games of the yr over imo. judging by how lego indian jones sold,batman should easily double that number. i predict a ton of kids will want this for xmas plus a fair amount of adults will be interested since this is the first batman game to be released since the movie premiered.

Ashhong

Kagari said:
Trade in a old model DS or a GBA SP and get a DS Lite for $89.99.

wait what? i havent been into work in over a week and misssed this. so youre saying the value for either the SP OR DS Phat is 40 bucks? good for SP, bad for Phat.

employee discount or anything stack on top of it?

Vanish

wait, is it 100% confirmed that the $500 80gb ps3 bundle is being discontinued as soon as the new $400 80gb ps3 comes out?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Vanish said:
wait, is it 100% confirmed that the $500 80gb ps3 bundle is being discontinued as soon as the new $400 80gb ps3 comes out?

No discontinuation date has been given.

FrankT

So 40GBs are pretty much cleared out of channel is what I'm gathering outside of some online, but then again Amazon is now showing it's out until Aug 6th as well. You will probably see this apparent in NPD for July and maybe August if Sony doesn't get those new 80GBs to retailers before their estimated street date of September and/or late August.

gantz85

Banned
Jammy said:
This was pretty much a given. Resistance was only a 2 million seller worldwide.

Gears of War: 4.7 million worldwide as of 30 May 2008 (YES, it's shitaku, but it's official MS press release : http://kotaku.com/5011999/gears-re+issue-confirmed-details-will-not-surprise-you)

Resistance: More than 2 million worldwide as of 15 June 2007 (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PPE8KG0&;show_article=1)

Gears is about twice the game that Resistance 2 is worldwide. In the USA though, it's king.

gogogow

gantz85 said:
Gears of War: 4.7 million worldwide as of 30 May 2008 (YES, it's shitaku, but it's official MS press release : http://kotaku.com/5011999/gears-re+issue-confirmed-details-will-not-surprise-you)

Resistance: More than 2 million worldwide as of 15 June 2007 (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PPE8KG0&;show_article=1)

Gears is about twice the game that Resistance 2 is worldwide. In the USA though, it's king.
fixed.

Only released for 2 1/2 months in Europe.
Should be much more by now, I would say closer to 3 million.

Top Bottom