• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Retail Musings for 7/20 - 7/26

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
A bit late this time, but here it is:

Wii - We had two left from the previous week and sold them. We're getting a shipment of around 18 this week though... which is the biggest amount we've ever gotten, wtf...
Wii software has been kind of crap all around with no Mario Kart and Wii Fits to sell. I think we got in 4 or so Wii Fit on Wednesday and they sold...

DS - We have a deal running right now where you can get a DS for $89.99 so the systems have been selling great because of this. Final Fantasy 4 is selling decent. We got a huge supply of it. Had about 10 reserves iirc.

PSP - A lot of people are looking forward to the blue PSP bundle. PSPs are still selling steady, just under DS amount slightly. Nothing noteworthy on software. Mostly used stuff, and Secret Agent Clank.

PS2 - Moving these as they are the cheapest console option that still has upcoming games... NCAA seems to be doing fine on it. Lots of used software and used hardware moved though.

PS3 - Sold out all week. We should get resupplied on Monday with about 4 units. Lots of inquiries though. I had to send people to other stores in the area and most places upon checking today were all sold out of the 80GB systems within at least an 80 mile radius. We are only getting restocked on 80GB systems from here on out. On the software front, MGS4 is still moving, along with NCAA. We can't keep Civilization in stock still.

XB360 - Got restocked this week with about 6 of the Pros. Sold through 4 of them. No Arcades or Elites moved though. I imagine we'll get more restock this week, but I didn't see any pending yet. For software, mainly NCAA and Civilization are selling well.

Next week, Soul Calibur numbers!
Both systems are tied for reserves. It'll be interesting.

PS3 - Sold out all week. We should get resupplied on Monday with about 4 units. Lots of inquiries though. I had to send people to other stores in the area and most places upon checking today were all sold out of the 80GB systems within at least an 80 mile radius. We are only getting restocked on 80GB systems from here on out. On the software front, MGS4 is still moving, along with NCAA. We can't keep Civilization in stock still.

Interesting.

The PS3 80 GB bundles are in ample supply in a lot of online sites now (they're still up at amazon, bb, etc). It really does appear that the 80 GB packs will bridge the gap from now until when the BC-less 80 GB core releases in September.

Do you ever have any customers that turn down an 80 GB bundle because they're looking for the 399 core?

Glad to see that the MGS4 bundle is still selling. It's just sad to see Sony fails at taking hints and is still gonna get rid of it once the gimped 80GB arrives this fall.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Private Hoffman said:
Do you ever have any customers that turn down an 80 GB bundle because they're looking for the 399 core?

I had one, actually. It surprised me :lol

mittelos

Thanks for taking the time to do these Kagari. Looks like just about everything is moving pretty well at your store. I'm interested to see Civ's numbers in the next NPDs. What were the general expectations for Civ in terms of sales?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Private Hoffman said:
Also, what type of customer is buying Wii Fit?

Are they normal gamers, or are they usually moms and stuff?

Generally soccer moms... more casuals types... I don't think any of the "core" regulars who come in have bought it or inquired about it. At least they haven't while I was around.

FrankT

Checked up on Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Costco this week.

Wii OOS everywhere (although I'm not sure but Target may of had some today as I haven't had a chance to check).

No PS3s in stock at any of them. Asked about restock at Best Buy said he had no clue and Costco said not for another two months. I assume he is talking about the new 80GBs in Sept/late Aug. 40gbs seems to be completely out the window as I've also heard many places have not had shipments since late June and early July. This would match up with an earlier retail report from the UK last week saying they had not gotten any shipments in awhile and sales had slowed on the current 40GB due to the 80GB announcement. The MGS4 bundles seem to be coming in here and their every week or two with the last I saw at Target with one about two weeks ago.

360 seems to be replenshied since last week with ads still going on the price drop.

Somnia

Wii - None in stock right now. Got quite a few on the way. Sales seem to be slowing before the holiday's, but we still sell out within a week :D
Wii software: Not much moving at all in this category. Got 2 mario karts this week and they were gone instantly, got 4 wii fits and they were gone. We have 12 wii fits on track for tomorrow so other than that it's slow right now.

DS - We have a deal running right now where you can get a DS for $89.99 so the systems have been selling great because of this. *leaving this part since its the same for me*. The 89.99 deal has been working good for us. We're out of pinks finally (discontinued now).
DS Software: Few guitar heroes here and there, but not much other than Imagine games...lots and lots of imagine baby's and fashion designers and whatever the hell else they have :lol . Got 24 FFIV's in and we have 17 left. Kind of sad =(

PSP - Nada in this scene. Not a single PSP sold this week or any significant software.

PS2 - NCAA seems to be doing fine on it. Lots of used software and used hardware moved though. Also LOTS of trade ins...and I mean LOTS. It seems like a lot of people are finally upgrading.

PS3 - 3 80gbs still left and 1 40gb..40's are selling faster than 80s at my store for some reason right now we've had the 80's for over a week now.
PS3 Software: NCAA is sold out, Civ Rev is still sold out. Other than that not much.

XB360 - Down to 1 Pro system and 1 Elite. Still sitting on quite a few arcades. We've been selling Pro's like crazy since the price drop, but no restock on the horizon so it seems the jump is over for now.
Software: NCAA sold out (total of 2 restocks so far). Civ Rev sold out (got restocked this week and right back out the door I think like 12 copies or so). Gears of War has picked up, sold out of the refresher and have sold at least 5 used copies. Seems like people are getting ready.

Soul Calibur looks to be about even on reserves at my store, but we are receiving more PS3 version's than 360 which is the first for a multi-console game I've seen.

Guy Legend

Private Hoffman said:
Interesting.

The PS3 80 GB bundles are in ample supply in a lot of online sites now (they're still up at amazon, bb, etc). It really does appear that the 80 GB packs will bridge the gap from now until when the BC-less 80 GB core releases in September.

Considering that they didn't drop the price of the 40gb system, I'm sure the last thing they wanted was 40gb leftovers and the new 80gb core pack sitting next to each other on store shelves for the same price. The 80gb MGS4 bundle is an easier sell next to either BC-less system.

Firestorm

Canada Retail Musing:
Sears Canada does not carry Wii Fit, PS3s, PSPs, Wiis, or anything except overpriced DS Bundles which cost less if bought separately. Stop asking. Please.
Thank you ^_^

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Private Hoffman said:
btw my 80 GB PS3 was manufactured in May 2008, so they're definitely making new 80 GB PS3s (for a few months at least).

Now take it apart and tell us if it uses 65 nm Cell rather than the 90 nm found in the old PS3 consoles that had BC.

zoku88

I can't wait until NPD. I want to see how many Civ copies sold. I didn't think it would be that popular with console gamers. (I did see a lot of adverts, though.)

Avrum

Oh, so these are being brought back now? Allow me to join in. ^_^

Wii - Last time we had Wii systems available was not this past Sunday but the one before that. We got in 39 systems along with 18 WiiFits and only a dozen or so Mario Kart Wii. Mario Kart and WiiFit were gone within a half hour of the store opening and WiiPlay continues to be the perfect add on when buying a new system. WiiFit, I can understand being hard to find I suppose considering the balance board, but Mario Kart Wii? Nintendo is seriously dropping the ball on allocation here, but it's definitely an "evergreen" game if I ever saw one. Anyway, Wii systems were still around until around this past Thursday and we're still getting tons of calls and walk ins inquiring about future shipments. Aside from what is currently hot, other software that is selling nicely are Boom Blox, Carnival Games, Deca Sports, Mario and Sonic, Smash Bros., Wall-E and Tiger Woods. Our store (TRU) is finally starting to allow Mature rated titles to be put out on the sales floor instead restricted behind glass and as such we sold through all of our copies of Splinter Cell Double Agent (which were on clearance anyway), a few copies of Umbrella Chronicles and one of the two remaining copies of No More Heroes we had left.

PS3 - 80 GB still going fast. Last shipment we had about was about 8 systems three weeks ago and we sold through them all this past week. Aside from MGS4 and GTA IV, other games selling well are GRID (even moreso than GT5 P), MLB 08, NCAA 08 and Assassin's Creed. (thanks to a price reduction to $29.99) This week also had a buy 1 get 1 half off on Sony system games which I'm sure helped in moving software which is good. Come the holidays they really need to push more buy 2 get 1 free deals for other systems besides Wii and Nintendo DS a lot more often. Interestingly, I met our new Sony rep a few days ago and according to her the MGS4 bundle isn't expected to be around past mid August which baffles me because the 80 GB sells like hotcakes and it's what people call for. Needless to say, ever since MGS4 launched the PS3 has been moving quite a few units.

360 - Sold an Elite a few days ago (well, a co-worker did) otherwise, software is still king for all things 360 in my store. NCAA, got in 18 copies, all were gone by Saturday. Call of Duty 4 and GTA IV still doing well, GRID doing well, Assassin's Creed resurging (price reduction just like the PS3 version), Ninja Gaiden II doing much better since moving Mature rated games to sales floor. (we got in six copies three weeks after the game launched and only in the past week have we sold any) and we've already gotten quite a few preorders on Madden and The Force Unleashed compared to the other versions of the game. Lots of people asking about SCIV though, will definitely set my copy to the side the moment we get them in to make sure I have one to buy. :p

PS2 - Not moving too much here. Software doing well thanks to the buy 1 get 1 half off but hardware wise we haven't sold any in weeks. Wall-E and Lego Indy are doing very well though.

NDS - Hardware sales have slowed but software wise, Guitar Hero On Tour, Petz games (due to a gift card you receive as part of a promotion for buying one), Imagine games, almost all things Mario, Lego Indy, Kung Fu Panda, Speed Racer (pretty much anything licensed/based on movies here), Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and anything Hannah Montana or High School Musical are selling pretty well. Final Fantasy IV unfortunately isn't faring so well. I've had a few interested customers who asked about the game when they saw the face of the game's cover in the glass behind the register (the cover is an eye catcher I have to say) but the price tag seemed to be a bit of a turn off. We only got in four copies and as far as I know I bought the only one we've sold thus far.

PSP - Hardware is pretty much like the PS2, haven't sold any in weeks. Games are doing better by comparison though. Anything licensed is doing well like Ben 10 and Lego Indy(although many were baffled that we never got in a PSP version of Kung Fu Panda, I'm not even sure if there is a PSP version. Otherwise, not much else on that front. I'm sure sales will spur once again when the Blue PSP/ Madden pack hits though as new bundles sell pretty well during the first week. Daxter is easily the best selling bundle of them all though but we rarely get them in. Plenty of Piano Black and God of War though.

zoku88 said:
I can't wait until NPD. I want to see how many Civ copies sold. I didn't think it would be that popular with console gamers. (I did see a lot of adverts, though.)

At my store, we only got in the DS version. Two cases (six to a case) and we haven't sold a single one. I'm tempted to buy it, but I'm already drowning in a sea of DS backlog titles as it is and would rather finish off the more time consuming ones at first before giving Civ a shot.

apujanata

Quite surprising that PSP is selling very well at some stores, but selling badly at other stores.

Would you say that PSP was doing better this month compared to June ?

tanod

when is my burrito
FYI: July is almost always the lowest point for sales in any given year. Numbers should be down for the month from June.

AniHawk

What's going on with Banjo-Kazooie 3 and Viva Pinata 2? I went down to Gamestop a month ago and BK3 was $40. I reserved it as some kind of placeholder for Castlevania, and yesterday I went back to see BK3 and VP2 are both listed as $39.99. Both are family-friendly Rare games. This a ploy by MS to sell more copies to a base that is obviously not usually interested, or a long-lasting and coincidental typo?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AniHawk said:
What's going on with Banjo-Kazooie 3 and Viva Pinata 2? I went down to Gamestop a month ago and BK3 was $40. I reserved it as some kind of placeholder for Castlevania, and yesterday I went back to see BK3 and VP2 are both listed as $39.99. Both are family-friendly Rare games. This a ploy by MS to sell more copies to a base that is obviously not usually interested, or a long-lasting and coincidental typo?

Might be a tactic to get them to sell better. Shame we have no reserves on either at my store yet though.

Gabyskra

Banned
Kagari said:
DS - We have a deal running right now where you can get a DS for $89.99 so the systems have been selling great because of this. Final Fantasy 4 is selling decent. We got a huge supply of it. Had about 10 reserves iirc.

Wait, what deal? I'm sorry I make you feel like you're at work, but it sounds interesting :)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Gabyskra said:
Wait, what deal? I'm sorry I make you feel like you're at work, but it sounds interesting :)

Trade in a old model DS or a GBA SP and get a DS Lite for $89.99.

AniHawk

Kagari said:
Might be a tactic to get them to sell better. Shame we have no reserves on either at my store yet though.

I wouldn't dare touch B-K at $60 (or $50, where VP1 started off), but for $40, it's pretty much a no-brainer... unless it's a really bad game.

AniHawk said:
It's their best route, nothing much else they can do.
besides putting it on the wii or ds

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
AniHawk said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322203

DiddyBop

i find it really retarded that sony cant keep the 80 gb in stock. they cant afford to be out of stock givin then position in the sales charts compared to MS and nintendo.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DiddyBop said:
i find it really retarded that sony cant keep the 80 gb in stock. they cant afford to be out of stock givin then position in the sales charts compared to MS and nintendo.

Um... they keep restocking each week, they just sell out fast.

Jammy

Banned
BishopLamont said:
It's their best route, nothing much else they can do.
besides putting it on the wii or ds

:lol So true.

If they don't sell at $40 then nothing will aside from the usual that the 360 userbase likes.

FrankT

DiddyBop said:

Real problem is there are no 40s outside of online for the most part and some people are just not willing to drop $500. While the MGS4 80s are getting restocked it obviously isn't cutting it right now as it is still limited. Of course, the other issue is some people will just wait for the new 80GBs at the $399 price point and get more in the box compared to the current 40s. This sentiment has already been confirmed by the likes of one retail report out of the UK as well. The question really is now, when will Sony get the new 80s into retailers hands because it would probably behoove them to do it before their target date of the end of Aug early September.

Link316

Banned
did some channel checks, kinda weird seeing 40GBs sold out everywhere, a few places had some MGS4 bundles in stock, think Sony is blowing an opportunity to replace the PS3 with a slim redesign during this transitional period

the $299 360 doesn't seem to be moving

lots of places especially the TRU @ Times Square are literally stacked with GH Aerosmith bundles, think Activision may have to discount it soon

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Link316 said:
did some channel checks, kinda weird seeing 40GBs sold out everywhere, a few places had some MGS4 bundles in stock, think Sony is blowing an opportunity to replace the PS3 with a slim redesign during this transitional period

lots of places especially the TRU @ Times Square are literally stacked with GH Aerosmith bundles, think Activision may have to discount it soon

No one cares about GH Aerosmith ^_^

Link316 said:

You do realize that producing a "slim PS3" is the result of the fabrication process size getting smaller, right?

It's not anywhere near small enough at 65 nm to produce a change in the size of the PS3.

PS3 - 80 GB still going fast. Last shipment we had about was about 8 systems three weeks ago and we sold through them all this past week. Aside from MGS4 and GTA IV, other games selling well are GRID (even moreso than GT5 P), MLB 08, NCAA 08 and Assassin's Creed. (thanks to a price reduction to $29.99) This week also had a buy 1 get 1 half off on Sony system games which I'm sure helped in moving software which is good. Come the holidays they really need to push more buy 2 get 1 free deals for other systems besides Wii and Nintendo DS a lot more often. Interestingly, I met our new Sony rep a few days ago and according to her the MGS4 bundle isn't expected to be around past mid August which baffles me because the 80 GB sells like hotcakes and it's what people call for. Needless to say, ever since MGS4 launched the PS3 has been moving quite a few units.

This decision baffles me as well.

They're already making some decent coin on selling a PS3 at $500....if it genuinely does cost more to manufacture the system with BC, then allow consumers to pay for that premium.

I don't understand the push to do away with BC...

Apparently this is one of Kaz Hirai's decisions, and it's a genuinely boneheaded one, too.

Top Bottom