• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: Xbox Live Silver Has Free Multi for PC-360 Games Until Fall

BuddyC

I searched and couldn't find a thread about this, but Microsoft has confirmed that Xbox Live Silver folk will be able to play certain games online until the new dash hits this fall.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53886

Microsoft has informed Shacknews that Xbox Live Silver members will only have free multiplayer access to select cross-platform titles--Universe at War, Shadowrun and Lost Planet: Colonies Edition--until the next system update arrives this fall.

The representative concluded that, "When the new Xbox experience launches this fall all multiplayer gaming on Xbox 360 will be for Gold members only."

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I remember an older thread from yesterday or the day before, but I didn't know that there was a designated timeframe. Seems a bit bizarre.

BuddyC

Mejilan said:
I remember an older thread from yesterday or the day before, but I didn't know that there was a designated timeframe. Seems a bit bizarre.
Yeah, it does. Microsoft's stated that it is due to the Games for Windows gone free thing, which makes me think it's an unintended bug that requires a firmware update to fix.

Like, maybe the servers were coded to deny Silver members access if it's not a free weekend, and now that the switch is thrown for those three games, an update is required so that it can reject on a per-platform basis.

MCD

Dr. Zoidberg said:
What the heck does the new dashboard have to do with this?
my guess:

1- they are changing games for windows live interface
2- an exploit in the current 360 dash

edited.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
If they're trying to pull people in with Universe at War, Shadowrun and Lost Planet: Colonies Edition then that's probably a mistake. :lol

But this definitely has something to do with the PC Live going free I think. Not sure how, but it has to. Maybe it has something to do with the Live infrastructure and the update will fix it so that they can open up PC Live as free and keep all 360 Live Gold.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
This being a bug that they're fixing with the update sounds the most plausible. Especially considering that they didn't actually announce it anywhere until people noticed.

Paznos said:
What's the point?

Do you mean in MS closing the "exploit", or the ability for the people to play the games online for free?

I think in either case, the answer is pretty obvious for both sides.

*Edit* Firestorm: So true :lol

feature.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
1. Lol, Microsoft, Jesus. It's three games. Make sure to point out that the poor sacks who own Shadowrun AND a silver account won't be able to play online in the fall.

2. They're really calling it the "new xbox experience" aren't they

Core407

Banned
If there is a large segment of gamers who aren't online and own a 360, MS should setup a free ad-based alternative that will give them access to online play and nothing more.

Core407 said:
If there is a large segment of gamers who aren't online and own a 360, MS should setup a free ad-based alternative that will give them access to online play and nothing more.

Live already has ads, whether you pay for it or not.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
MrPing1000 said:
wtf u have to pay to play multiplayer on xbox?

Welcome to whenever Live started............. :lol

I thought it would be Multiplatform titles would be free........ so if it was free on PS3 it would be free on Live......... poor Live people, you get raped.

Core407

Banned
_leech_ said:
Live already has ads, whether you pay for it or not.

The hell. Really? I haven't owned a 360 since years ago but I don't remember any real ads. Oh well, I don't need to pay $50 a year no more so I'm happy.

Shins

Banned
Why make them free in the first place...?

Core407 said:
The hell. Really? I haven't owned a 360 since years ago but I don't remember any real ads. Oh well, I don't need to pay $50 a year no more so I'm happy.
AND THE RACE IS OFF

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I can't wait for the New Xbox® Experience™ which will only be available in it's complete form with Xbox® Live™ Gold this fall.

God Bless Microsoft®

GhaleonEB

BuddyC said:
Yeah, it does. Microsoft's stated that it is due to the Games for Windows gone free thing, which makes me think it's an unintended bug that requires a firmware update to fix.

Like, maybe the servers were coded to deny Silver members access if it's not a free weekend, and now that the switch is thrown for those three games, an update is required so that it can reject on a per-platform basis.
Yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like. Put differently, they need to patch-in a gate to stop silver players from playing cross platform now that it's free on the PC end. I wonder if that will be one of the "features" they highlight when it rolls out....

Nah.

MrPing1000 said:
wtf u have to pay to play multiplayer on xbox?

Erm, welcome to 2002 and the original Xbox?

*Edit*
Core407 said:

If you're a minor, you won't see ads. Maybe that's why?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
poor Live people, you get raped.

Do people just willfully block out what this word actually means or is there a whole generation of people who think that the word is just some nebulous classification of unfairness and not a grotesque form of physical assault?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Welcome to whenever Live started............. :lol

I thought it would be Multiplatform titles would be free........ so if it was free on PS3 it would be free on Live......... poor Live people, you get raped.

I know, $3 a month is highway robbery. I mean, the mere fact people only spend $4 a day on coffee shows the atrocious plundering of your pocket going on here. Next they'll tell me I need to buy a new controller to get rumble and my system doesn't include HD cables.

Are we still doing this? STILL?

angelfly

I think they shouldn't have bothered and if they were going to do something then let silver members play all games free until the dash arrives.

Shins

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Do people just willfully block out what this word actually means or is there a whole generation of people who think that the word is just some nebulous classification of unfairness and not a grotesque form of physical assault?
and then there are those degenerate fucks who apply and view it with varying levels of seriousness based on context!

they make me want to throw up they do

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
The latter, of course. Raped is the new Nazi. :(

ypo

BenjaminBirdie said:

Boy let me tell you about them hooligans and the f word, I mean if only if they know what it really means...what has our societ.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Hunter D

Lost Planet and Shadowrun are pretty good. Or should I say LP is pretty good when you keep the Japanese players from getting the mechs, shotguns, and rockets.

HolyStar

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
More like M$, M I RITE???

Sad thing is, I don't get how it is acceptable to bash Microsoft, but Sony is like a god to some people on these forums. Anyway, yeah, topic title is misleading.

Ugh. Look, if people want to treat it like it actually is appropriate to ascribe varying degrees of meaning to because of the context, as if that were legitimate, that's certainly their right. But fundamentally, those degrees and context do not exist, outside of some deluding themselves as to what that word actually means, and its consequences.

BenjaminBirdie said:
MS mission restructuring complete, sensitive old grannies now get upset when someone rags on the fuckyouupthexbox.

FFChris

MrHicks said:
they got ads plastered all over the place and STILL have the guts to charge for it
laughing all the way to the bank

Yup.

But as long as they have demos and Halo 3 MP tied to Gold, I'm going to keep on paying for it, even though it doesn't make sense now that the Wii and PS3 do this for free.

borsdy

Banned
I am getting the drift that this was unintended too. It is unfortunate that they won't keep it that way, all three of them need a boost in player base.

soco

MrHicks said:
they got ads plastered all over the place and STILL have the guts to charge for it
laughing all the way to the bank

you might be surprised how few people actually ever use the dashboard after they have the system set up. there's still a lot who've never even set up xboxlive silver accounts.

Top Bottom