• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Mother 3 Patch Thread! It's go time!

Tiktaalik

27y99ih.png

HEY NO SPOILERS!
This is a Mother 3 thread for the English release, meaning these people didn't play the Japanese version, meaning those of us who did shouldn't be talking about and passing around pictures that contain spoilers, if you want to do that, I made a M3 appreciation thread a few months ago you can use.

Whoooaaahh what? Yeah that's right the translation and hacking of Mother 3 is finished, which means that the ROM is currently being tested and will almost certainly be out this October. It could be out any day now! Now is the time for hype and preparation for GOTY 2008!

EDIT: THE GAME IS OUT DOWNLOAD NOW and SURPRISE! There's a Mother 3 fan made players guide in production!

av23i1.png

Mother 3 is an RPG developed by Shigesato Itoi and HAL and published by Nintendo for the Gameboy Advance. It was released in 2006 in Japan. The game is a traditional Dragon Quest like JRPG in gameplay, though with several distinguishing features, such as real time rolling hit points, on screen enemies, instant win combat and music combo based combat. Another key difference from traditional JRPGs is the Western, modern day setting and the excellently written, witty story and humorous dialogue.

Mother 3 is the sequel to Mother 2, which was released in NA as Earthbound. The game was critically very well received and achieved a massive cult following, despite mediocre sales. Nintendo of America spent quite a bit of marketing money on Earthbound and so the relative failure likely soured them on the series, which leads us to...

jh6as6.png

Well I don't hate Nintendo, I'm just extremely, extremely disappointed in them.

Despite the critical acclaim of Mother 3, and an extreme, unparalleled showing of support from fans, Nintendo decided to not release the title in NA. Even though sales of the GBA were exceptionally strong in NA, Nintendo artificially killed off the GBA and didn't release Mother 3 as well as several other late GBA titles, such as Rhythm Tengoku.

In addition Nintendo of America has seemingly gone out of their way in pretending that Earthbound/Mother doesn't exist, ignoring Earthbound on the Wii VC, removing the Earthbound demo from Smash Bros Brawl and not releasing the Mother 1+2 compilation for the GBA.

Fortunately the game has been given an excellent translation and we can all enjoy it.

hunitx.png

n37wn9.png
141v2tf.png

25rjmug.png
1zf4z7q.png

2ibyve8.png
10hm253.png

5wji3m.png
9s3qf5.png

99exxz.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgbI8FK63xU

2usifrb.png

(Many answers copied from the Mother 3 translation site)

What's left to do?
Nothing! Download it at http://mother3.fobby.net/

How will this translation thing work?
When completed, there will be a translation “patch” for download. When this patch is applied to a Japanese MOTHER 3 ROM, it will change all of the game’s Japanese text into English. You can then play it on the Game Boy Advance emulator of your choice.

The patch will use the new UPS format, developed by byuu. IPS patches only work on files up to 16 MB in size. The MOTHER 3 ROM is twice that size, so we’re using this new format. The patching programs will also be extremely straightforward to use, and PC, Mac, and Linux versions will be available.

I own a Japanese MOTHER 3 cartridge. Will I be able to put the final translation on it?
No, there is no way to delete or replace the data on a cartridge. If you want to play the translation on a real system, you’ll need what’s called a “flash cart” or “flash card”. You can also use an emulator.

Will I be able to use my flash cart to play it on a real system?
Most likely. ROM hacking is tricky business, and sometimes hacks that work on emulators don’t work on the actual systems. But this translation will most likely work on a real system.

Where can I buy MOTHER 3 for GBA? I want to play it in Japanese.
It seems to be sold out at the usual spots like Play asia and NCSX. Try Japan.

Who's that dude in the title?!
That's Shigesato Itoi the creator of the Mother series. He's a famous Japanese writer and is known for a number of other projects.

Has Mother 4 been announced
Nope. I haven't read any definite quotes regarding the future of the series, but folks seem to think that Mother 3 is the end of the series.

Your graphics suck. Can I make new ones?
Yes.

16gixax.png

Mother 3 Translation - Download the translation patch here!

Starmen.net - The main Mother/Earthbound fan community on the internet. Considering that their game franchise of choice is continously ignored and there hasn't been a major update in over 10 years, this community is extremely strong and vibrant.

Mother 3 World - A Japanese Mother 3 promotion site translated by Starmen.net

Learn more about Mother 2/Earthbound, the legendary fan favourite SNES game.

Pre-order the Fanmade Mother 3 players guide!

Not sure if this will fly here due to a certain touchy subject, but I am looking forward to this being released. Can't wait.

Hive

Banned
Probably the greatest game I've ever played~ Now I can play it in English, and the translation looks not too shabby!

Aeana

Yay, thread unlocked. It sounds like a release date for the patch is going to be announced really soon (maybe today? :O) and Tomato said that the patch release would follow in a matter of days after the date announcement.

Sounds like it'll be out this week!

JSnake

Can't wait for the patch! Even in Japanese (which I don't know a word of), M3 broke into my top 5 games. In English, it might just have a shot at #1.

edit: Two days ago, Tomato said he was halfway through the last chapter in his testing. Maybe he's done by now!~

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Huzzah! I wanted to post in this thead in its original incarnation, but alas, I was too late.

As I've said before, Earthbound is my favourite game of all time, and the wait for the sequel has been utterly painful. The fact that it may actually be out soon, that I will finally be able to play the sequel I've waited over ten years for, makes me ecstatic. :D

Amir0x

Banned
*FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP*

oh god there's blood everywhere

*FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still say the only reason that NoA didn't bring over Mother 3 was it coming out at the very VERY end of the GBA's life.

PolyGone

Banned
I love how Nintendo had that big conference like a week ago and its as if Mother 3 doesn't exist to them. They could have made a big about-face and pleased all the fans but instead ignored this game completely. I don't understand.

Fireblend

Banned
YES. SO CLOSE.

I've been following the dev. blog since the start, which should be proof enough of how hyped I am to play Mother 3. Can't wait, day 1, etc.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PolyGone said:
I love how Nintendo had that big conference like a week ago and its as if Mother 3 doesn't exist to them. They could have made a big about-face and pleased all the fans but instead ignored this game completely. I don't understand.

Err, as stupid as Nintendo is for not bringing this over for GBA, I'm not sure what this criticism is. What did you want them to do? Buy the fan translation and do a limited edition GBA cart release? It's pretty clear "release mother 3 for gba" has been a dead idea for several years now.

*shakes fist* Why won't Nintendo release Fire Emblem SFC here!?!? YAAAAARGH!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blu_LED said:
So I'll have to play this on an emulator? Will my PSP work okay?
Yes, it looks like the only emulators known to man kind that have problems are some unspecified Mac Emulators deleting saves, but thats the Emulator's fault it seems.

Teknoman

Nice! The P2: Innocent Sin topic should be popping up as well.

Still hoping for an official DSware or Wiiware release though.

Cdammen

Y-E-S

Can't wait. I need to get homebrew working on a NDS so I can play this game on a portable. I have barely played my Japanese copy that I got off Play-Asia dirt cheap because moon language scares me :(

Considering the size and devotion of the fan base, I honestly expected this to be one of the fastest fan translations ever.

Well, it's finally almost here, even if it took two and a half years.

Owensboro

I don't want to believe it's coming out this week. I'm going to keep telling myself it will never, ever come out. That way, when it is finally released, I can fucking celebrate like there is not tomorrow.

This is gorilla high five-ing a shark causing an explosion awesome.

MoogPaul

I hope the people in the Wii homebrew channel have great patience for my stupid ass. I've been staring at that sweet little red box in my display case for close to 2 years at this point.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Father_Brain said:
Considering the size and devotion of the fan base, I honestly expected this to be one of the fastest fan translations ever.

Well, I think they first waited a year, since the GBA had a tad of life. Then once Nintendo stopped making GBA's and its games, two groups formed and started doing a translation. But they didn't so much, so Matto did something, got the two groups to technically combine, and took over the project... I really don't know the full detales of the merger, but its taken Matto a little over a year to do it, and the game was programed in a way where its lousy coding, but it works.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Whats the cheapest/best GBA flash cart I should get to play this on my DS? I have been waiting for years. Please help me. I have no interest in using it for any other purpose but playing Mother 3 in English.

Owensboro

diffusionx said:
Whats the cheapest/best GBA flash cart I should get to play this on my DS? I have been waiting for years. Please help me. I have no interest in using it for any other purpose but playing Mother 3 in English.
This is a question I would like answered as well. Anyone know?

FoneBone

Father_Brain said:

The work didn't start right away, as those involved (understandably) wanted to be reasonably certain that NoA had no intent of bringing it over beforehand. And then the code turned out to be a pain in the ass to patch (I don't know if that had any bearing on NoA's decision, but it couldn't have helped.)

Yaweee

HK-47 said:
What about the Policenauts translation project? How is that coming?

Needs more hacking.

------------

There's also a Front Mission 5 translation project that currently translates the interface, menus, and event scenes.

It's kind of heartwarming to see how devoted fans are to translating games, and then a little bit heartbreaking to see how many projects go down in horrible horrible flames due to frustration, bizarre programming, and misguided attempts to control the internets.

FoneBone said:
The work didn't start right away, as those involved (understandably) wanted to be reasonably certain that NoA had no intent of bringing it over beforehand. And then the code turned out to be a pain in the ass to patch (I don't know if that had any bearing on NoA's decision, but it couldn't have helped.)

Yeah, I know all that. Just sayin'.

Azure J

Brandon F said:
Oh that Ness clone in SSBB actually comes from a REAL game???!!!

GAF has legions of mother fans that can and probably will crucify yu for this question, but yes, Lucas was in a game in the Earthbound/MOTHER series.

Top Bottom