• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Mother 3 Patch Thread! It's go time!

thefro

The release date announcement is tonight and then the patch will come out very soon afterwards (probably Thursday, I'm guessing).

Stumpokapow said:
Err, as stupid as Nintendo is for not bringing this over for GBA, I'm not sure what this criticism is. What did you want them to do? Buy the fan translation and do a limited edition GBA cart release? It's pretty clear "release mother 3 for gba" has been a dead idea for several years now.

WiiWare/DSiWare release

Owensboro

Aeana said:
I recall seeing a thread about that stuff on the Starmen.net Mother 3 translation forum.

EDIT: here

Ahh, thanks for the link.

So it seems that the choice comes down to either an EZ-Flash 3-in-1 (since I already own a CycloDS) or an EZ-Flash IV. Anyone have experience with either that can recommend one?
as in, does this : http://www.realhotstuff.com/expansion-pack-size-p-212.html work with the CycloDS? If not, I'm going to have to pay the extra for the EZ-Flash IV I guess.

Tiktaalik

diffusionx said:
Whats the cheapest/best GBA flash cart I should get to play this on my DS? I have been waiting for years. Please help me. I have no interest in using it for any other purpose but playing Mother 3 in English.

This stuff is sort of up in the air. You'd think that the guy whose done most of the hacking work (Jeffman) would know, but he hasn't posted anything about what carts work and what doesn't work.

I have an old EZFA Realtime, and I tried to load the Japanese Mother 3 Rom onto it, and my cart said that the rom was too big. Mother 3 takes up the max size of a GBA cart (256mbits) so there is some trickyness here and I'm not sure how the issue is going to be resolved. I'd like to maybe get one of those DS flash carts that are able to also download GBA roms to a GBA cart, but the Mother 3 Translation site has been completely silent as to what stuff on the market will work perfectly, so I'm not going to go out and buy anything yet.

I have a feeling I'll be playing it on my PSP via emulator at least for a little while until information about what GBA flash carts work comes to the surface.

Tiktaalik

Drkirby said:
I still say the only reason that NoA didn't bring over Mother 3 was it coming out at the very VERY end of the GBA's life.

Except that at "the end of the GBA's life" the GBA was doing awesome and was even outselling the PS3. It's pretty clear that someone ordered the GBA killed so that the DS could take it's place. So much for "3rd pillar." Anyway that's sort of a discussion for another thread...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So am I the only one expecting a huge backlash against the game after anglo-GAF realises the game is very different in tone from EarthBound?

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
So am I the only one expecting a huge backlash against the game after anglo-GAF realises the game is very different in tone from EarthBound?

I know I was surprised when I first played the game, although I ended up really appreciating it. I don't think there will be a lot of backlash.

Honestly I already know this won't be an Earthbound clone. It's hard to explain but in the end I guess what I'm anticipating isn't really another "Earthbound", but another game by Itoi with a great theme surrounding it.

JSnake

Regulus Tera said:

No because although it is more depressing and dark than EarthBound, all the charm and quirkiness that makes EB great is intact.

Aeana

# Mato said 0 minutes ago:

I’m busy and won’t be able to update until late tonight. And I got so much to write up about stuff. But short story is that it’ll be at the end of this week. I’ll give more details in the update later.

:O

Aeana said:
yep. it's finally on this week. Been following the blog since the start and it is a massive Mother 3 fanboy party right now!!!! This game has redefined "a long time coming" Fuck yeah!

Aselith

My keyboard will be sticky for weeks. Let my week of fapping commence!

I'm assuming that Nintendo will be announcing Mother 3 to DS sometime next year on Monday of next week as a final fuck you to the fine folks who worked this patch up.

Aselith

Cheesemeister said:
A cease-and-desist letter at this point would be the height of hilarity.

I hope they're ready for the boxes of Mr. Saturn-shaped bombs that would follow something like that.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
SHIT YEAH. I've been following this since the very first post waayyy before the merger with Starmen.net. I am so fucking excited to finally play this game.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Brandon F said:
Oh that Ness clone in SSBB actually comes from a REAL game???!!!

I sincerely hope this is a joke.

Aeana said:
# Mato said 0 minutes ago:

I’m busy and won’t be able to update until late tonight. And I got so much to write up about stuff. But short story is that it’ll be at the end of this week. I’ll give more details in the update later.
:O

:O is right!

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait...

Jasoco

Banned
Milabrega said:
I still need to play Earthbound first, come on VC release.
Ugh, yeah. I just beat Mario RPG the other day with all my characters at level 30 and totally maxxed out. Now I need another VC RPG to play. My kingdom for some Earthbound action! I'm tired of playing it over and over on an emulator. I need something that will restrict me to actually play it accepting consequences instead of misusing freeze states. (And believe me, if they're available, I won't resist using them.)

Le sigh, NOA. Why must you hate good games so much?

Teknoman

Jasoco said:
Ugh, yeah. I just beat Mario RPG the other day with all my characters at level 30 and totally maxxed out. Now I need another VC RPG to play. My kingdom for some Earthbound action! I'm tired of playing it over and over on an emulator. I need something that will restrict me to actually play it accepting consequences instead of misusing freeze states. (And believe me, if they're available, I won't resist using them.)

Secret of Mana. Action RPG. Do it.

Aselith

Jasoco said:

Man I fucked up. I haven't checked the VC in a while and now they have Mario RPG AND Secret of Mana. Buying those TONIGHT!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
PolyGone said:
I love how Nintendo had that big conference like a week ago and its as if Mother 3 doesn't exist to them. They could have made a big about-face and pleased all the fans but instead ignored this game completely. I don't understand.

*sigh*

It's never going to be released.

When a company sacrifices a brand it is for something bigger. Nintendo took two huge risks and made two brand sacrifices with mass awareness, one was the sacrifice of the Gameboy, and the other was the Nintendo brand(on consoles). When you sacrifice something, not just for the sake of it but very wisely and ritualistically, with a mass audience of participators(the public), you ask for something better than what was sacrificed, it is a huge risk but that can be successful with excellent world wizardry, the size of the call will determine if it gets answered. You don't however dig back what you gave away, and M3 was part of the whole deal with the Gameboy sacrifice, it will not be released again.

A bug will be discovered and the release date will be announced as November 5, 2008. On November 4, Nintendo will issue a cease & desist letter and the project will be canceled.

Later that day, John McCain will officially win the Presidential Election over Barack Obama in a landslide victory.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
abstract alien said:
The music is extremely awesome

THIS.

I was very sad when that the Pig Mask battle theme was not in Brawl. :( It's one of my favourite battle themes ever (for my favourite JRPG ever, ho ho ho).

Aeana

KeioSquad2 said:
Can someone please tell me the best emulator to play this on? Visual boy advance sucks, is there any better?

You can try VBA-M (VBA with tons of improvements) or Mednafen.

A bug will be discovered and the release date will be announced as November 5, 2008. On November 4, Nintendo will issue a cease & desist letter and the project will be canceled.

Later that day, John McCain will officially win the Presidential Election over Barack Obama in a landslide victory.

bzyh1.png

Masked Man

I said wow
Absolutely cannot wait. I imported the GBA version not too long ago as a means of (possibly) reinforcing my Japanese studies, but the translation is still something that I have been awaiting ever since the project was announced. Needless to say, one of my favorite games of all time will FINALLY be available in my native language, and this makes me very happy. :D

abstract alien said:
The music is extremely awesome

YES. Shogo Sakai is brilliant, and this soundtrack is absolutely wonderful. I have the OSV, MOTHER 3i, and MOTHER 3+. They're all so awesome, and each one is in frequent rotation on my iPod. Seriously, there's just SO much good material. The Love Theme is undoubtedly one of the single best in-game compositions of recent times.

And, not to disparage the EB love going on here (I like it, too!), but it's my personal opinion that M3 is without question MUCH better than EB. For those diehard fans out there who have yet to play M3, be prepared for an incredible experience.

Haunted

So is this game better or worse than Earthbound?

I kinda liked EB but I'm not sure I'm down for another lengthy Mother RPG atm.

edit: pleased to hear that, Masked Man. :D

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Masked Man said:
YES. Shogo Sakai is brilliant, and this soundtrack is absolutely wonderful. I have the OSV, MOTHER 3i, and MOTHER 3+. They're all so awesome, and each one is in frequent rotation on my iPod. Seriously, there's just SO much good material. The Love Theme is undoubtedly one of the single best in-game compositions of recent times.

I haven't even played the game yet, but you're absolutely right. The soundtrack is fantastically amazing and I've listened to the Mother 3i and Mother 3+ albums extensively.

But with all due respect to the Theme of Love, which is indeed an excellent composition, my personal favourite Mother 3 song has to be
the Sixteen Melodies, a combination of the eight melodies from both Mother and Mother 2.

Masked Man said:
And, not to disparage the EB love going on here (I like it, too!), but it's my personal opinion that M3 is without question MUCH better than EB. For those diehard fans out there who have yet to play M3, be prepared for an incredible experience.

As I said before, Earthbound is my favourite game ever made, but I would not be surprised if Mother 3 managed to take its position. I would be delighted if it did. :D

Masked Man, you can't change your avatar to a non-Mother avatar just when the translation is about to come out. D:

Fireblend

Banned
SO CLOSE. HOLD ME.

Fuck yeah, I just know I might end up failing some subjects because of this, but damn, it's Mother 3.

Masked Man

I said wow
Iam Canadian said:
But with all due respect to the Theme of Love, which is indeed an excellent composition, my personal favourite Mother 3 song has to be
the Sixteen Melodies, a combination of the eight melodies from both Mother and Mother 2.

Masked Man, you can't change your avatar to a non-Mother avatar just when the translation is about to come out. D:

I like your pick, too. If I'm not mistaken, both are nominated for the GAF 1000-track Game Music Battle of Eternity. But while I appreciate the various reprisals and allusions of the latter track, I much prefer the original (and much more thorough) development of the Love Theme in its own piece. ;) It's just so much more moving for me.

Ahh, I know. I was introduced to Gurren Lagann at a bad time, huh? :O But I'll most likely be switching it to something M3-related on release day, so fear not! :D (After all, with a username like mine, it would be some sort of sacrilege to go without a M3 avatar on such a momentous occasion!)

And while we're thinking about it... Beware to those who haven't played M3, but GL-reference time:
BREAK THROUGH THE ABSOLUTELY SAFE CAPSULE WITH YOUR DRAGON NEEDLES, LUCAS!

Top Bottom