• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo officially announces DSi (Downloadable DS Ware/Camera/Browser)

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
ninten02.jpg

o Thinner, lighter than DS Lite with bigger screens
o No GBA slot.
o 300,000 pixel camara
o SD card slot
o Speakers larger and have improved sound quality
o AAC audio player (No MP3 support?)
o Downloadable software (DS Ware). Wii Points renamed to Nintendo Points. Software price brackets will be Free/200/500/800 points.
o Web browser (downloadable from DS Ware store)
o Will release in Japan November 1 for 18900 yen (about $180), two colors: White and flat black.

2rzqfis.jpg

2vsnmgw.jpg

DSi / DS Lite size comparison:

2uysv1e.jpg

nintendodsicomparisonbig.jpg

Photo Editing:

DSiPhotoEdit.jpg

AAC Audio Player:

DSiMP3.jpg

Web Browser:

DSiOpera.jpg

Pimpbaa

o No GBA slot.
o Both screens touch sensitive.

Yeah....no, this ain't gonna happen with the current DS platform.

nbcjr

well, for links, just go to the conference thread, but i really think this thread didn't need to be created

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I am buying it, not because it is brand new, but rather because my DS has a hinge crack and the L button is dead.

Pimpbaa

Petrie said:
Who would use it knowing you're alienating most of the userbase?

That's why I think it's fake. Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to piss off DS consumers twice over (new games that use 2 touch screens thus requiring this new DS, plus making games that use addons in the gba slot useless).

DarkJC

Pimpbaa said:
o No GBA slot.
o Both screens touch sensitive.

Yeah....no, this ain't gonna happen with the current DS platform.
:lol :lol :lol

Pimpbaa said:
That's why I think it's fake. Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to piss off DS consumers twice over (new games that use 2 touch screens thus requiring this new DS, plus making games that use addons in the gba slot useless).

You're joking right?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Hmm, some translations have dual touchscreens and others don't mention it...need confirmation.

Pimpbaa

DarkJC said:
You're joking right?

You think those things are a good idea? If it was an all new DS hardware, it would be fine. But doing this to the current DS is a dumb move of epic proportions (splitting the userbase, pissing off developers and consumer who use the gba slot).

Dizzan

MINI Member
Camera on the back so you can take photos of girls sitting across from you on the subway while they think you're playing Pokemon.

Awesome!!

I've just logged on.

I'll consult the Nintendo Conference thread, but what else happened? Is this a new handheld, a successor, or a new model for the existing DS? It is pretty strange, as it totally changes up the game design that has been worked towards so far on the DS. All that innovation and improvement on touch screen design will now have to include TWO touch capable screens.

Ten-Song

It looks like a pretty minor update and the removal of the GBA slot basically means stuff like the Guitar Hero DS game(s) (which sold a crap ton) are now useless.

And yet... I'll still likely end up buying one.

Mohonky

errrr....right. So what they release DS games now that need to use both touch sensitive screens, what are they going to have 'DSi only' on the front or different packaging all together? Way to really segregate the market. Try explaining this one to the soccer mums why Johnny's DS no longer plays the latest release games.

DarkJC

Pimpbaa said:
You think those things are a good idea? If it was an all new DS hardware, it would be fine. But doing this to the current DS is a dumb move of epic proportions (splitting the userbase, pissing off developers and consumer who use the gba slot).

I wasn't commenting on whether it's a good idea or not, I'm laughing at you stating it's fake, considering it's all been announced by Nintendo in the last hour.

mollipen

I know some people are thinking the loss of the GBA slot is no big deal, but really, that little slot wasn't just for playing GBA games - it was also for providing the hardware with a nice (and sturdy) expansion port. Guitar Hero, e-card reader, My Weight Loss Coach, the Arkanoid / Space Invaders Extreme paddle, there's been a LOT of cool stuff done with the port.

I haven't seen the SD slot on the DSi just yet, but if it isn't going to provide the same kind of peripheral / expansion possibilities of the GBA slot, then it's a real shame, because the DSi seems to be in a position to make even MORE use out of such a thing.

Ten-Song said:
It looks like a pretty minor update and the removal of the GBA slot basically means stuff like the Guitar Hero DS game(s) (which sold a crap ton) are now useless.

And yet... I'll still likely end up buying one.

From what I'm reading, this isn't minor. It's kinda big step.

Pimpbaa

DarkJC said:
I wasn't commenting on whether it's a good idea or not, I'm laughing at you stating it's fake, considering it's all been announced by Nintendo in the last hour.

Yeah, I haven't been following that. Ugh, can't believe nintendo is stupid to do this. Everything else about it is cool except those 2 things.

Ten-Song

TheGrayGhost said:
From what I'm reading, this isn't minor. It's kinda big step.

They've added a few things, but aside from downloadable games, there's really no change. It's not like they've beefed up or changed the DS hardware in any way, they just slapped some other stuff onto it.

The dual touch thing sounds like the biggest change, but even then I don't really see that being very ground breaking.

shagg_187 said:
.3 megapixel?
0.3? Did i read this right?

God Nintendo... two steps forwards, ten steps backward. Will still sell millions and millions of it though...
its nintendo man. its like your shocked or something.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
shagg_187 said:
.3 megapixel?
0.3? Did i read this right?

God Nintendo... two steps forwards, ten steps backward. Will still sell millions and millions of it though...

Did you really need a camera on your DS?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Ok, now that the story is out on all the major websites it seems that the initial translation was wrong there is still only one touchscreen. Perhaps they got it confused with the part about two camera lenses, who knows...

Anyway, if a mod wants to correct the thread title...erm, please?

dark steve said:
No GBA slot + onboard memory = whole new way to sell GBA games to people!

this.

i was hoping for a better camera, but camera + web browser + inboard memory + smaller and lighter + bigger screen FTW.

Ten-Song

VideoMan said:
Ok, now that the story is out on all the major websites it seems that the initial translation was wrong there is still only one touchscreen. Perhaps they got it confused with the part about two camera lenses, who knows...

Anyway, if a mod wants to correct the thread title...erm, please?

Okay, that makes a lot more sense, no shitting on old DS owners and splitting the market.

Top Bottom