• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo officially announces DSi (Downloadable DS Ware/Camera/Browser)

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Dual touchscreen games will have to be downloadable only for this to make sense. Release at retail would be a very confusing matter. Unless the games can be played without touch controls for 1 screen but then whats the point of making it dual-touch in the first place?

edit: Was a translation error. Ok. Theres no way in hell im buying this. Already have a DS Fat and lite.

vertopci

What the fuck. This is completely unexpected.

Since it plays mp3, is it safe to assume the sound is louder and higher quality?

Zyzyxxz

SD card slot?

Oh boy I wonder if this will be great for homebrews?

Then again web browser and MP3 player functionality, the only thing homebrew can still do is video files.

Petrie said:
Have you enjoyed using it for the last year? Will you continue being able to enjoy it in the future? What's the problem?

If it turns out that there's exclusive content that I want, then I'll have to buy the new system.

That's the problem.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
If that camera isn't even 1 megapixel, it's pretty poor. Doesn't seem worth it to me, but I'm sure this thing will sell like hotcakes.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Just bought a DS in July.

Built in browser and eaiser *cough* Homebrew make it pretty appealing.

Eggo said:
If that camera isn't even 1 megapixel, it's pretty poor. Doesn't seem worth it to me, but I'm sure this thing will sell like hotcakes.
apparently, there are two different cameras, the inside one on the spine that's 0.3MP and the outside one on the top half that's 3MP

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The Faceless Master said:
apparently, there are two different cameras, the inside one on the spine that's 0.3MP and the outside one on the top half that's 3MP

That is pretty darn sweet (if true)

Hopefully this new DS has more processing power, because editing those 3 Megapixel shots would be such a bitch on a slow processor.

Michan

UGH. I'm sorry Nintendo, but that is a very ugly handheld. The design is very inconsistent; black, white, AND grey is not sleek. There are big gaping black holes all over the sexy DS Lite design. And why are the power lights on the left, and much more prominent?

Also, the great big camera on the front looks incredibly out of place; it might make more sense for it to be on one of the two corners, so it could look at you when open? Two cameras lol

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I already own two DS Lites but I'll be there on day one for this. Only question is if the downloadable games are region free.

Edit: Can we expect DS Ware to feature original games or ports of old classics (ie. a type of VC)?

The Faceless Master said:

Doesn't make sense to have two cameras. This is Nintendo for crying out loud! 0.3MP is the new standard!!

EDIT: If there are two cameras then it's actually pretty fucking awesome. Nintendo redeemed :/

Cedille

When will Nintendo bring a new DS body that our fingerprints don't attach to?

Frankly, this is the top priority and the major reason why I no longer play my DS anymore.

B!TCH said:
I already own two DS Lites but I'll be there on day one for this. Only question is if the downloadable games are region free.
I like the new features, but I can't justify owning two DS' and I am not willing to lose my GBA collection either. Damn Nintendo, why.

I guess I can't miss what I never had.

Struct09

I bet Activision isn't too happy - Guitar Hero DS has proven to be a success. I'm sure the DSi was in development long before GHDS was, but still :(

ccbfan

Luckily for me I's rather have a DS Lite than this.

Most of the function on it, my crappy phone I got for free from sprint can do.

Plus unless it has finally allows WPA, the web browser is useless too.

The lack of GBA is huge since the DS Lite is pretty much the only system I can tolerate playing my GBA games on and I still have a 30 + GBA back log.

The only thing that can change my mind is the downloadable software. If some crazy, I can't miss stuff is on it then, I might give in and buy this. I high doubt companies would spend too much effort on these games though considering they would be blocking out 100+ million users.

Yazuka

Damn. Some pretty nice things going on for the DS there.
Now I don't know if I should wait tfor this and get a PSP at the time or still go with a DS Lite... =/

Kujo

2uysv1e.jpg

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I can't fucking believe the DS camera is 0.3 megapixels. And I thought my 2MP iPhone camera was pathetic. I My first webcam I ever bought was 0.3MP- 10 years ago, when the damn things first came out. Did Nintendo not want to pay for a 1MP sensor- which perhaps would have costed another 25 cents? These decisions blow my mind.

And spring 2009 for the wii update? Really? I mean, they really need that much time to implement that 'feature'? Did they just start working on it?Thats embarrassing.

There just seems to be a massive disconnect between the ridiculous amounts of money Nintendo is making, and their current R&D efforts, product support, and release schedules.

Ten-Song

ccbfan said:
The only thing that can change my mind is the downloadable software. If some crazy, I can't miss stuff is on it then, I might give in and buy this. I high doubt companies would spend too much effort on these games though considering they would be blocking out 100+ million users.

I actually think downloadable games could be HUGE for this. Lots of developers already use small teams to produce DS games at a far lower cost than a normal console game, so imagine an even smaller amount of resources required for something you can just put up as DLC.

At least I have hope for that. Wii Ware's not impressed me much so far.

Defuser

soultron said:
I just traded my DSL in today. Good timing, but my wallet will cry again when I buy this; my fourth DS.
What for? If you trade in your DS because you didn't find anything good about then I doubt you find this good either besides hardware upgrades. Don't be a second costanza.

Cobra84

VideoMan said:
o Smaller, lighter than DS Lite with bigger screens
o No GBA slot.
o 300,000 pixel camara
o MP3 player
o Downloadable software (DS Ware). Wii Points renamed to Nintendo Points. Software price brackets will be Free/200/500/800 points.
o Built in web browser.
o Will release in Japan November 1 for 18900 yen (about $180), two colors: White and flat grey.[/URL]

1. DSL is almost too small and I don't see how much bigger the screens could be.
2. There isn't a GBA emulator for the DS, so how will I play GBA games?
3. Less than 1/4th of the pixels of my 3-year-old cell phone. Why bother?
4. What portable devices don't play MP3s? How about video support?
5. Sounds nice. No ability to play VC games from 8/16 bit consoles on the DSi is a dumb move though.
6. I can get on the internet with my phone without needing a wifi connection. Could be nice in a some situations.
7. $50 more is a lot for multimedia features that are standard on every other portable device.

I think Nintendo would have been better off adding these features in a completely new handheld, rather than shoehorning them into the DS. Its going to be the DS' micro sales wise.

I'll be sticking with my DSL.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Does this support WPA??????

If not what a waste. Why cant they support WPA shit?

Filter

Cedille said:
When will Nintendo bring a new DS body that our fingerprints don't attach to?

Frankly, this is the top priority and the major reason why I no longer play my DS anymore.

k, u are a weirdo.

Top Bottom