• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2016

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Eeehhhh, alright sale. Already got Earthbound, Attack of the Friday Monsters, & Shantae: Pirate's Curse, & wish it was Castlevania IV instead of the NES one.

As much as I'd recommend Virtue's Last Reward, I'd recommend the Vita version over the 3DS, especially since they never fixed that save bug in the 3DS version.

Robin64

As much as I'd recommend Virtue's Last Reward, I'd recommend the Vita version over the 3DS, especially since they never fixed that save bug in the 3DS version.

Aksys claimed it was fixed in the eShop version, but never issued a patch for those with a cart.

jholmes

Earthbound and Zelda Minish Cap doesn't appear to be on sale, is that a permanent price drop?

For some reason Nintendo's sales during this promotion don't appear as sales with the special coloured price and the strikethru, they just show like price drops. I don't know why this happens, but it has happened before too.

apotema

For some reason Nintendo's sales during this promotion don't appear as sales with the special coloured price and the strikethru, they just show like price drops. I don't know why this happens, but it has happened before too.

I guess I should buy them then

Pokemaniac

First party sales are pretty much always done like that. No idea why.

also

Banned
Even with the save data bug I would recommend the 3DS version of VLR over the Vita one. Having 2 screens to cross-reference clues and being able to take notes is much more handy than using pen and paper.
Aksys claimed it was fixed in the eShop version, but never issued a patch for those with a cart.
IIRC, the ''patch'' only disabled saving in the most problematic room (PEC room) but saving in other rooms can also corrupt your save data. You should never save during a puzzle section if you want to be 100% safe.

Zeeman

Even with the save data bug I would recommend the 3DS version of VLR over the Vita one. Having 2 screens to cross-reference clues and being able to take notes is much more handy than using pen and paper.

IIRC, the ''patch'' only disabled saving in the most problematic room (PEC room) but saving in other rooms can also corrupt your save data. You should never save during a puzzle section if you want to be 100% safe.

Even saving in a puzzle room but not during a puzzle section can be a problem. I'm pretty sure that's what nuked my eight hour save.

L~A

Is the fantasy life DLC also on sale? thanks

DLC is never, ever on sale, so I highly doubt it.

Eeehhhh, alright sale. Already got Earthbound, Attack of the Friday Monsters, & Shantae: Pirate's Curse, & wish it was Castlevania IV instead of the NES one.

Not this again... I'm not talking about you in particular, but I really wish people stopped making such a big deal about that glitch, to the point of recommending against the 3DS version. I've played the game fully twice, for a total of 110h+, and never ran into the glitch. It's extremely easy to avoid it:

1) never save in a puzzle room (no need to tempt fate)
2) never save in a puzzle room
3) ... never save in a puzzle room

What's more, with the digital version, you can make regular back-ups of your save data (if you're really worried). Of course, that doesn't work with the cart version.

Though there's one point I totally agree with 3DS version 'naysayers' is that it's absolutely unacceptable Spike-Chunsoft never fully fixed the glitch. Really embarassing. I really hope they'll have more robust QA for ZE3.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
In all fairness, I tried the demo for both the 3DS version & the Vita version, and I just preferred the wider screen size & such (same thing for the Conception 2 demo. I think Spike Chunsoft developed some games for Sony devices first, then ported them to 3/DS. That might explain some things due to them being more used to developing for PSP/Vita compared to 3/DS). I just remember hearing about that glitch being a big deal when it was discovered, though it sounds easy to avoid.

& yes, I think what bugs me more about the whole thing is the fact it was never fixed in this age of updates & patches.

L~A

Having never played VLR, is it obvious when you're in a "puzzle room"?

Yup, you can't confuse the two. It's even mentioned in the dialogues, so no way to accidently end up in a puzzle room.

In all fairness, I tried the demo for both the 3DS version & the Vita version, and I just preferred the wider screen size & such (same thing for the Conception 2 demo. I think Spike Chunsoft developed some games for Sony devices first, then ported them to 3/DS. That might explain some things due to them being more used to developing for PSP/Vita compared to 3/DS). I just remember hearing about that glitch being a big deal when it was discovered, though it sounds easy to avoid.

& yes, I think what bugs me more about the whole thing is the fact it was never fixed in this age of updates & patches.

Fair enough (about screen size and stuff... though for me, the touchscreen trumps it all).

I'm not sure VLR was ported from PSV, I'd say that was the opposite actually.

As to why the patch was never fixed, I'd say Spike-Chunsoft probably didn't want to bother with the game at all (especially just one version). Given how the game sold in Japan, can't say I'm surprised.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I also just wanted to mention the glitch on the off-chance someone asked about what was different about the two versions &/or wasn't aware.

For this type of game, I can see why touchscreen would be a big deal (I think I'd use it sometimes on the Vita version if the object was big enough). I think another reason why I chose Vita was due to playing on an OG 3DS at the time, where as if I tried playing VLR on my New 3DS XL, I wouldn't mind it as much.

Maybe I'm thinking of just Conception 2 with the whole "developed for Vita, ported to 3DS" deal, considering when playing the 3DS demo, the top screen felt soooo cramped & I don't recall the touch screen actually being of any use (god forbid they put the MAP down there instead of taking up more space on the top screen). Though since 999 was on DS, that would make sense if it was in development for 3DS first. Trying to remember where I heard about that in the first place.

...least we all can agree to be excited for Zero Time Dilemma, right?

The year is 2079

Nintendo has transitioned their entire online system to the global neuron network, rendering all previous online operations obsolete.

The year is 2080

"Kittens vs Zombies Deluxe" is released for the Nintendo DSi

Pokemaniac

Wonder why Wii Street U is shutting down at the end of March. Surely it's just using existing Google data?

Google changes their APIs periodically. I don't know if that's happening right now, but there is definitely a non-zero cost to keeping software that relies on Google services functional indefinitely.

Robin64

Google changes their APIs periodically. I don't know if that's happening right now, but there is definitely a non-zero cost to keeping software that relies on Google services functional indefinitely.

Ah. Makes sense then. A shame, Wii Street U was pretty neat and using the GamePad to look around was like a crude form of VR that more people really should have tried.

GulAtiCa

Yep. Unity 3DS games can now be submitted. :)

I wish NWF was on 3DS, that be cool. But at this point, prob safer waiting for NX.

Dang, I guess the Wii won't play DVDs? I just tried a couple and it was unable to read the discs. I thought because it is disc based that it would be able to play movies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Nope, neither the Wii or Wii U has the ability to play DVD or Blu-Ray. I think Nintendo's reasoning was that they felt "well, most people already have one or more in their home" & it helped bring the cost down.

Nope, neither the Wii or Wii U has the ability to play DVD or Blu-Ray. I think Nintendo's reasoning was that they felt "well, most people already have one or more in their home" & it helped bring the cost down.

Okay. Thanks... there is a DVD player in my house, but I will have to unplug the Wii from the back of the TV and plug the DVD player in. It's kind of a hassle, so I am a little disappointed.

Pokemaniac

Dang, I guess the Wii won't play DVDs? I just tried a couple and it was unable to read the discs. I thought because it is disc based that it would be able to play movies.

Nintendo apparently doesn't like paying the license fees for media, playback, since they've always made sure that their format is somehow distinct.

Play DVDs on Wiis was something that they said they were planning at one point, and there's even an unused Wii Menu banner that suggests that they did at least start implementing it, but the plans got scrapped somewhere along the line.

PtM

Banned
Okay. Thanks... there is a DVD player in my house, but I will have to unplug the Wii from the back of the TV and plug the DVD player in. It's kind of a hassle, so I am a little disappointed.
I would assume there's a homebrew DVD player, if that's your cup of tea.

tmarg

Any idea why Nintendo isn't letting me add the exact amount of funds I need to make a purchase? That's always been an option before.

Edit: Nevermind, the process is just different on Wii U than 3DS.

RedSwirl

Never played any Breath of Fire before, but I bought BOF4 on PSN a while ago on a sale. How important is BOF1? Is the VC version (SNES) even a good way to get the game?

Refyref

Never played any Breath of Fire before, but I bought BOF4 on PSN a while ago on a sale. How important is BOF1? Is the VC version (SNES) even a good way to get the game?

The games aren't related to each other, they just all have a recurring set of themes. The SNES version of BoF1 isn't as polished as the GBA version, but it's still a good way to play it.

Umibozu

The games aren't related to each other, they just all have a recurring set of themes. The SNES version of BoF1 isn't as polished as the GBA version, but it's still a good way to play it.
1 and 2 are distantly related as 2 references something that occured centuries ago, which is referencing a plot point from 1.
they mention in the second game how the winged people's ancestor did something that affected the lives of their race and that ancestor is one of the characters in the first game
One isn't required to play the other, but you'll get the (few) references made

I hope it's OK to post this here:

I just bought the 3DS version of Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars. If anyone wants to buy my Wii U download code for $10, please PM me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You might have better luck in the official Buy/Sell/Trade thread.

Man, kind of cool Castlevania's on sale, but I'd much rather want a discount on Super Castlevania IV. Though part of me wants to get it (& Ninja Gaiden) just so I can say I actually played the original NES games.

Yeah, I'll post it in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread as well.

I might get Castlevania on 3DS because the virtual console restore points will make it easier to beat the game in the late stages...It gets pretty tough. I already have it on GBA though. I wish Castlevania III were on sale, because I've only played that one time.

RedSwirl

You might have better luck in the official Buy/Sell/Trade thread.

Man, kind of cool Castlevania's on sale, but I'd much rather want a discount on Super Castlevania IV. Though part of me wants to get it (& Ninja Gaiden) just so I can say I actually played the original NES games.

What's the best OG Castlevania to get anyway? I've never played a pre-STON game.

I think Castlevania Chronicles on PlayStation is a remake of OG Castlevania or something?

What's the best OG Castlevania to get anyway? I've never played a pre-STON game.

I think Castlevania Chronicles on PlayStation is a remake of OG Castlevania or something?

Well, this is the Nintendo thread, but I looked it up and Castlevania Chronicles does seem to be a remake of OG Castlevania. However, NES Castlevania is on sale on 3DS eShop right now (at least in the US), and it's a decent place to start, I think. It does get hard near the end though.

Top Bottom