• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need Help Understanding or Performing a Combo?

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Hi, i'm Maj. You may remember me from such websites as sonichurricane.com and the Majestic Screenshot Gallery thread on NeoGAF.

I'm here to teach you how to perform all those tricky fighting game combos that you've always dreamed of doing, but couldn't ever figure out how! No combo is too simple or too complex. Well, what are you waiting for? Don't be shy, step right up!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
30wml9v.jpg

Chris R

I can just tell this thread is going places. Although one of the things that pisses me off the most about fighting games is it seems that just randomly slamming and jamming random buttons is as good as trying to read combos from the manual and not being able to preform them that well.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
From which games ?
Im a SNK guy.

EDIT:It would be awesome if anyone can upload those sweet Guile videos to youtube.

CPS2

I have a few...

Um... I don't know how to finish a Genei-Jin with cr.MP>623K. Not sure if it requires meter, pretty sure it doesn't. Also not sure which kick to use. Alex and Dudley specific genei-jin enders would also be appreciated.

Also I can't charge partition very well with Urien. Normally after landing cr.HP>LK tackle>HP aegies>HK tackle, you do this right - 661 (fast input) > 8MP(?) > then you get on their opposite side, and push them back into the aegis (dash then 6MK or something). I think even if they quick rise they can't get out. I know 6MK is one of the better guard breaking moves, and there are ways to tackle guard break in this situation as well (but can't do it).

Also can't renda cancel in STHD.

If you don't mind answering, I have tonnes more :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This is from an article on his website: http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sf2randomness.html
512 Special and 512 Guard

Apparently the designers of Street Fighter II wanted to expose players to the fighters' special moves as a way to entice newcomers into digging deeper and mastering complex controls. To this end, they programmed a 1-in-512 possibility of standard button presses converting instantly into special moves. Of course, if character isn't in a position to attack, the input is ignored as usual. Furthermore, normal moves can not be interrupted in this manner, so mashing rapid-fire weak attacks won't work. Oddly enough, there's also a 1-in-512 chance of blocking an oncoming attack, even without holding any defensive direction. Both 1/512 idiosyncrasies are exclusive to WW, having been eliminated by CE.

@_@

God , i would love to see the source code of SF II.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Not a comboing question, but a few fighting game questions in general (fighting game websites almost speak their own language):

What exactly is fuzzy guard?

What's a dust loop and why is it such a commonly (and sometimes hotly argued) topic? All I know is that it's something to do with the Dust move in Guilty Gear.

CPS2

Akuun said:
What exactly is fuzzy guard?
Fuzzy guarding is from Virtua Fighter, and also works in Soul Calibur. Basically you hold guard and tap down, so you're quickly going from standing guard to crouching guard. What is does is quickly duck under throws, quickly block low hits, or some other tactic like ducking an "A" attack in SC. You have to have some control over it though, otherwise you'll get hit by a mid, low, or throw.

What's a dust loop and why is it such a commonly (and sometimes hotly argued) topic? All I know is that it's something to do with the Dust move in Guilty Gear.
It's a move done by Sol Badguy. It has to be done against the wall, it's where the enemy is in the air (you have to knock them into the air first), and you jump, hit them with the dust attack, they bounce off the wall, you jump cancel, and hit them with the dust attack again before they land. There's tonnes of variations on it, involving different ways to set it up, and different moves that can be used to add hits.

I guess debate comes from whether particular setups are escapable or not. If the enemy is in hit stun in the air for too long, they can shake out of it. Also there's debate over which setups are most effective, and if old tactics work in newer games. I think they might have even removed dust loops from newer versions.

BTW these are all pretty simple explanations and I think people who actually use fuzzy guarding and dust loops (not me) could give better answers.

Glix

Can we start with the basics? While I understand the concept of some of the high level strategy of street fighter, I don't know the details.

Lets start with something simple: I'm a Ryu guy:

I'm jumping in to a standing opponent, what are my options? What should I lead with, and what are good combos/tricks coming out of those leads?

Ferrio

Banned
Glix said:
Can we start with the basics? While I understand the concept of some of the high level strategy of street fighter, I don't know the details.

I'm jumping in to a standing opponent, what are my options? What should I lead with, and what are good combos/tricks coming out of those leads?

Which SF?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
UC1 said:
flashkick.

This is the correct answer. Don't make jumping in a habit. In just about every fighting game there is a DP/Dragon Punch, or some type of anti-aerial move that will knock you out of the sky. This isn't that big of a deal if you have an air block, but still.

As for ryu, I think d.fk? I'm still learning SF stuff, so yea.

Davidion

I like this maj guy; what does he do so wrong other than post some stuff that some think are outlandish? I appreciate this man's threads.

McBacon said:
People call me Hadoken 'cause I'm down right fierce

This is some excellence, right here. :lol

Oldschoolgamer

Davidion said:
I like this maj guy; what does he do so wrong other than post some stuff that some think are outlandish? I appreciate this man's threads.

I dunno really. His threads own. Here and on srk.

Ferrio

Banned
Glix said:
:
many times. I don't jump in on Guile or Ken usually, but there are guy where a jumping opening is appropriate, no?

Everyone has anti air capabilities, some just more brutal than others.

CPS2

Glix said:
there are guy where a jumping opening is appropriate, no?

Yeah there is. Every character has an anti-air, but some are harder than others, so there's definitely characters that you'd jump at more often than others. As for what move you should use while jumping in, each has positives and negatives. Light attacks are active for a longer amount of time, so you can hit LP or LK pretty much as soon as you jump, and it should still be active until just before you land. Also they have less recovery so are safer, but they do less damage. Heavy attacks need to be done later (unless it's an air to air hit) and have more recovery, but they do more damage and are better for setting up combos.

You know I was thinking of making a video that explains priority and frame data. It is seriously some very easy shit to understand, but for some reason it's looked at as really complicated.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm sure you know most of the Tekken stuff maj, but if you need MarkMan assist, I'm here.

I have invincibility frames on startup.

Glix

UC1 said:
Yeah there is. Every character has an anti-air, but some are harder than others, so there's definitely characters that you'd jump at more often than others. As for what move you should use while jumping in, each has positives and negatives. Light attacks are active for a longer amount of time, so you can hit LP or LK pretty much as soon as you jump, and it should still be active until just before you land. Also they have less recovery so are safer, but they do less damage. Heavy attacks need to be done later (unless it's an air to air hit) and have more recovery, but they do more damage and are better for setting up combos.

You know I was thinking of making a video that explains priority and frame data. It is seriously some very easy shit to understand, but for some reason it's looked at as really complicated.

Thanks, that was explained very well.

Okay, so lets say I saw an opening, and jumped in with Ryu's light kick, the knee attack. On my way down, I connect with an opponent, who does not block the hit...

Where do I go from there? (I mean, I know what I would do, but what would a tourney player do?)

Oldschoolgamer

MarkMan said:
I'm sure you know most of the Tekken stuff maj, but if you need MarkMan assist, I'm here.

I have invincibility frames on startup.

I need help with Fang Wei(i think that's it) and Asuka! Tekken 5, if that helps.

CPS2

Glix said:
Thanks, that was explained very well.

Okay, so lets say I saw an opening, and jumped in with Ryu's light kick, the knee attack. On my way down, I connect with an opponent, who does not block the hit...

Where do I go from there? (I mean, I know what I would do, but what would a tourney player do?)

If it connects, you need to hit confirm. Basically that's recognising that it hits in a short amount of time, and then continuing your combo. So it we're talking about Super Turbo, you can jump in with LK, then hit crouching MK, hadouken for a 3 hit combo. If it's blocked, (this is what I'd do) either throw straight away, or do a crouching jab and then throw.

How do I bring Samus up from low tier in Smash Brothers Brawl?
Or a simpler one:

How do I recreate Samus's super wave dash from melee?

Aselith

Majestros said:
Hi, i'm Maj. You may remember me from such websites as sonichurricane.com and the Majestic Screenshot Gallery thread on NeoGAF.

I'm here to teach you how to perform all those tricky fighting game combos that you've always dreamed of doing, but couldn't ever figure out how! No combo is too simple or too complex. Well, what are you waiting for? Don't be shy, step right up!

How u combo with ladi? How u mak babby?

Hey, stop taunting the OP. While he's sitting in the middle of his ring of monitors calculating the minute aspects of Street Fighter equations for your benefit, you're all calling him a nerd.

I need tips for guilty gear...anything will do, as Im pretty horrible at anything advanced in that game. I know the basics like zoning and such, but i couldnt even tell you what roman canceling is. I dont really have a main character, so just use Sol as an example, he is pretty rounded and standard.

Help me!!!!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
UC1 said:
I have a few...

Um... I don't know how to finish a Genei-Jin with cr.MP>623K. Not sure if it requires meter, pretty sure it doesn't. Also not sure which kick to use.

I thought that was character specific? Try that on Urien, I'm almost positive it works on him.. not sure about kick strength.

UC1 said:
Alex and Dudley specific genei-jin enders would also be appreciated.

I think you can end with c. rh -> s.rh on alex. :lol

Its been a long long time since ive played Yun seriously.. sorry.. :D

UC1 said:
Also I can't charge partition very well with Urien. Normally after landing cr.HP>LK tackle>HP aegies>HK tackle, you do this right - 661 (fast input) > 8MP(?) > then you get on their opposite side, and push them back into the aegis (dash then 6MK or something). I think even if they quick rise they can't get out. I know 6MK is one of the better guard breaking moves, and there are ways to tackle guard break in this situation as well (but can't do it).

Thats how you do it just make sure you are charging right after the RH tackle as well..

Mandewd said:
i still cant chain my supers in third strike =( pro tips, please!

Which supers? I dont want to sound like a jerk but canceling into supers is pretty easy in 3s.

Glix said:

First off id say pay close attention to where you are jumping from and focus more on timing and distance before anything else. This will help a lot later on with cross ups and stuff like that.

Depends on what game you are playing but you have a lot of options. Some people will lead with a move like RH, some will empty jump (jumping and not throwing out a move) and throw, some will jump in DP anticipating the other person will throw.

CPS2

abstract alien said:
I need tips for guilty gear...anything will do, as Im pretty horrible at anything advanced in that game. I know the basics like zoning and such, but i couldnt even tell you what roman canceling is. I dont really have a main character, so just use Sol as an example, he is pretty rounded and standard.

Help me!!!!

Roman cancelling is just where you hit 3 buttons and whatever move you're doing is cancelled. So you can do say a dragon punch, roman cancel, dragon punch. I'm not a GG player >_> There should be a red spark or a blue spark (for false roman cancel) and you'll hear the word "romantic." As soon as that happens, you're free to dash, attack, whatever. If you want to know what a false roman cancel is, it's just the same as a normal one, except it requires specific timing and uses less meter.

Top Bottom