• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I've wanted to make a thread like this for a while but finding a before picture has been hard, I hated having photos done of be before.

EDIT: I forgot to include this earlier, size changes!

From pants I have gone from a 44-46 to a 34-36
Shirts I have gone from a 3XL to a L (I can't go smaller, I already rip the armpits out of these ones, my shoulders are too broad

First, the story:

I used to weigh over 300 lbs, (340 to be exact) with no reason to be overweight, I was a healthy young man but I was very depressed and as with many depressed people I did not go out much and I ate a lot.

On top of that I drank a LOT of soda (a vice I still have a problem with, thank GOD for Coke Zero) instead of water (8 glasses a day now :))

When I was 17 I got into music and my depression started ending, but that didn't change much for me as I still was overweight and still ate far too much (at one point I ate an entire large pizza for a meal o_O)

It wasn't until I was 18 years old and got into a deadly car accident that my life changed, I couldn't move my neck, walking hurt, I lost the use of my right shoulder (I now have limited mobility but it causes severe pain, I have trained myself to ignore it so I can continue living my musical dream, especially now that the emotional drama in my life is finally settling into excitement for the future)

Losing so much made me realize how much life was passing me by, I got over all my fears (heights, etc.) and started living life, as I healed I did more and more, I didn't start working out or doing a diet I changed everything

In terms of diet I cut portion size down, I cut junk food out of my life except special occasions, fast food is completely gone (its at the point now seeing fast food stuff grosses me out), and started smoking because instead of eating when I got stressed I could have a smoke (most wouldn't recommend this but my blood pressure is down, my ulcer barely ever acts up anymore, I am the healthiest I have ever been since I started smoking!)

Exercise is a whole other argument, I didn't do a 'workout' routine (I can't do any resistance training and with my bad knee running isn't an option so there isn't much for me) but instead I literally changed my lifestyle.

Instead of taking an elevator I took the stairs, if I can walk over drive I always will (even in winter, gloves hat and scarf will keep you pretty damn warm unless its windy), and I will never take the close parking spot.

On top of that music has helped keep me moving (will be doing more come January, 3 hour concert :D)

Now, without further adieu, I give you a picture of me from 2003, a picture from the halfway point (a gory halloween costume I did in college!) and several pictures from now (holding my beautiful ESP LTD Eclipse Satin Black ^_^)

ANDY_2003.jpg

31-10-06_1031.jpg

rudeguitar.jpg

sexayguitar.jpg

onguitar.jpg

btkadams

i don't get it. you changed your story? i thought instead of the deadly car crash that changed your life, you discovered the beauty of the music of Fall Out Boy and you used their powerful songs to change your life.

you have really lost so much weight! you're awesome! i may have to try this walking thing...

lsslave

Jew Gamer
agrajag said:
I lost 10 lbs in the last two weeks. I must not be eating right or something.

That can all be waterweight, I have lost and gained weight rapidly due to waterweight so often, it can all just balloon back

Permanent weight loss feels better different, your body tightens and everything

My record for a week was 25 lbs, I was so excited until I started eating again and it shot right back up ;.;

btkadams said:
i don't get it. you changed your story? i thought instead of the deadly car crash that changed your life, you discovered the beauty of the music of Fall Out Boy and you used their powerful songs to change your life.

you have really lost so much weight! you're awesome! i may have to try this walking thing...

Don't worry, FOB changed my life in one way, I have something to constantly pick on you with MUAHAHAHA ^_^

Walking is a wonderful thing, much easier than the gym as well ^_^ I highly recommend an iPod because it entertains you for the long walks ^_^

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Kyoufu said:
You started smoking......

Not sure whats worse, smoking or being a little obese.

Smoking is a highly controversial piece, in fact its been proven most smoking statistics are false (lets say you were in a car accident, if you were a smoker your death went into the smokers pile, so if your in Canada you will see more people die of Smoking every year when its in fact more SMOKERS die every year)

Also, I have a weak heart (already had a heart attack and im only 22) so fixing my blood pressure was important, and the stress issue is a wonderful change since I have had an ulcer since I was a kid and vomiting blood is never fun

agrajag

Banned
AmMortal said:
Aren't you like a chef or something?

Yeah, I taste stuff all day, but I don't really have time to eat. I eat a light breakfast (usually consisting of a yogurt and a toast or something) and one good meal a day, basically.

agrajag

Banned
lsslave said:
That can all be waterweight, I have lost and gained weight rapidly due to waterweight so often, it can all just balloon back

Permanent weight loss feels better different, your body tightens and everything

My record for a week was 25 lbs, I was so excited until I started eating again and it shot right back up ;.;

I don't know, this year I've gotten to my highest (145 lbs) and maintained that weight pretty much throughout the year. But now I've dropped back down to 137 all of a sudden.

btkadams

Kyoufu said:
You started smoking......

Not sure whats worse, smoking or being a little obese.
house subscribed cigarettes for a patient so they do have some qualities that can improve health.

agrajag

Banned
btkadams said:
house subscribed cigarettes for a patient so they do have some qualities that can improve health.

that's got to be great advice, because house is a legit doctor and not a fictional tv character.

btkadams

agrajag said:
that's got to be great advice, because house is a legit doctor and not a fictional tv character.
i see what you did there.

does everyone take everything said on here so seriously all the time? lol or is it just tonight?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
agrajag said:
Yeah, I taste stuff all day, but I don't really have time to eat. I eat a light breakfast (usually consisting of a yogurt and a toast or something) and one good meal a day, basically.

I've met many chefs who hate eating because they deal with food all day which if I had known this it explains a lot, also you seem VERY tiny to begin with, how tall are you to be that light?

Kyoufu said:
Sorry to hear that :(

Its helped me clean up my act a lot actually, I quit with the energy drinks and everything after it so it isn't that bad :) (Optimist btw)

btkadams said:
agrajag said:

Not all the advice you can get from a doctor is good, when I had to see another doctor about the signs of testicular cancer he treated me like dirt because of my age, now my doctor is watching me like a hawk over it

It depends on the doctor to begin with, sometimes I would rather take a TV doctors advice than a real doctors advice ;)

http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm

An interesting read about the good things about smoking

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
That's fucking nice duuuude! I myself lost like 15 kilos a while ago, I still could use losing another 5 but it already did great for my self esteem (and my sex life motherfuckers!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAH).

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Amazing. Congrats. Personally, I've been gaining some pounds which I'm happy since I used to weigh 120. I'm at 137 now. I think I'll maintain myself at 145 or 140.

agrajag

Banned
lsslave said:
I've met many chefs who hate eating because they deal with food all day which if I had known this it explains a lot, also you seem VERY tiny to begin with, how tall are you to be that light?

Eh, I wouldn't characterize all chefs like that. Most chefs I work with are pretty pudgy, but we come in all sizes, really.

I'm 5'8".

Not all the advice you can get from a doctor is good, when I had to see another doctor about the signs of testicular cancer he treated me like dirt because of my age, now my doctor is watching me like a hawk over it

It depends on the doctor to begin with, sometimes I would rather take a TV doctors advice than a real doctors advice ;)

http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm

An interesting read about the good things about smoking

Even when taking into consideration the number of errors that have been made on the show?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Rewrite said:
Amazing. Congrats. Personally, I've been gaining some pounds which I'm happy since I used to weigh 120. I'm at 137 now. I think I'll maintain myself at 145 or 140.

*laughs* I know that being underweight is a serious problem but after being massively overweight and working so hard to lose it I still hate every skinny person I meet, I know people who gorge and don't gain weight and want to smack them so bad

Grats on gaining it though :)

Mistouze said:
That's fucking nice duuuude! I myself lost like 15 kilos a while ago, I still could use losing another 5 but it already did great for my self esteem (and my sex life motherfuckers!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAH).

Losing weight ruined my sex life, the people who wouldn't give me the time of day before now want to be with me and I look at them like they are fucking idiots thinking I would touch them now... they had their chance when I was fat! lol

agrajag said:
Eh, I wouldn't characterize all chefs like that. Most chefs I work with are pretty pudgy, but we come in all sizes, really.

I'm 5'8".

Even when taking into consideration the number of errors that have been made on the show?

I was speaking of anecdote, at least the 'real' chefs I have met... all of them just have no appetite, they are so sick of food after work lol

I don't trust any doctors tbh, unless its life or death, and have never watched an episode of the show to begin with ;)

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
I'm not obese in any way, but the bulge is starting to get annoying, like my size 34 pants are starting to get a bit tight, my M sized t-shirts are a bit too tight, etc. I currently weigh 190-195 lbs, and i just wanna drop 15 lbs to get back to a more comfortable body. Did you do anything besides walking more, eating less, not taking elevators, and replacing soda with water? I'm not in a rush to lose weight quickly but I know it needs to be done. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
lsslave said:
Actually my guitar, my G string was out of tune so I flipped it off XD
You LIE! :lol You know you're flipping us off! It's cool though.

agrajag said:
Perhaps your g-string is in need of an adjustment.
:lol :lol

thefit

Good for you man, nothing like working out too feel good about yourself, I let myself go after I started my family but have recently got my groove back, been lifting again and it feels great, I've lost 10 pounds so far and hope to be back to 140 in time for next summer.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
PROOP said:
I'm not obese in any way, but the bulge is starting to get annoying, like my size 34 pants are starting to get a bit tight, my M sized t-shirts are a bit too tight, etc. I currently weigh 190-195 lbs, and i just wanna drop 15 lbs to get back to a more comfortable body. Did you do anything besides walking more, eating less, not taking elevators, and replacing soda with water? I'm not in a rush to lose weight quickly but I know it needs to be done. Any other tips would be appreciated.

I focused on permanent weight loss, not the quick fix solution, so my advice is more on changing the details of life ;)

agrajag said:
Perhaps your g-string is in need of an adjustment.

:p

Rewrite said:
You LIE! :lol You know you're flipping us off! It's cool though.

:lol :lol

lol actually I just like it because it shows off my tattoos, its an awesome picture for that fact :)

Edit:

Size changes added to OP :)

I've lost over 50lbs in the last year, I look great but I don't eat like I used to (I kind of miss it).

Pics forthcoming, it's a pretty huge shift.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Nathan Rain said:
I've lost over 50lbs in the last year, I look great but I don't eat like I used to (I kind of miss it).

Pics forthcoming, it's a pretty huge shift.

DO LIKE THIS MAN!

Everyone who has before/after shots should share them ^_^

lsslave said:
DO LIKE THIS MAN!

Everyone who has before/after shots should share them ^_^

Dude honestly half of my loss was really unhealthy. I get a stomach virus for about 4 months and couldn't eat much. Lately I've cut out dairy and substituted water for 90% of my drink intake.

I also run around alot at the cafe I work, and I do eat way less than I should, but I feel great, so what does it matter.

The virus is gone btw, lol. Thankfully that was a horrible period of my life.

Congrats on your image btw! That's rad :)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Nathan Rain said:
Dude honestly half of my loss was really unhealthy. I get a stomach virus for about 4 months and couldn't eat much. Lately I've cut out dairy and substituted water for 90% of my drink intake.

I also run around alot at the cafe I work, and I do eat way less than I should, but I feel great, so what does it matter.

The virus is gone btw, lol. Thankfully that was a horrible period of my life.

Congrats on your image btw! That's rad :)

Well my weight loss has had its problems as well, after the first initial weight loss I hit a wall and I became bulimic subconsciously (I would feel so much guilt for eating I would actually be sick from it, not the finger down the throat bit) but I overcame that

Edit: but I meant do like you in showing pictures ;)

Tieno

I used to be around 275lbs/125kg when I was in high school. This one day during easter my brother and I were waiting for a train and we got into a discussion about how stuborn I am and my principles. He basically turned the argument around on me and asked if I'm that stuborn why I don't put that to use one loosing weight. He basically said the right thing at the right time to get me motivated to seriously try.
Next day I started. I set my target weight by aiming for a bmi of 22,5 which meant around 80-85kg. First I started by cutting down on portion size, health and frequency, drinking water etc. Then I wanted to excercise to speed it up. Since I was too fat I couldn't really run so I started cycling. After around the 200lbs/100kg mark I started running. First I couldn't even run for a minute and after my 20minute run with lots of walking in between I was completely fucked up. Had to carry myself inside, into the shower and then onto the couch and rest for an hour or so.
Anyway, soon I was able to run longer, harder and greater distances got my weight down to around the 80-80kg range (something like 180lbs) which is pretty good for my height (6'3"/1m90) a year and half after I started.
So all in all I lost around 45 kg or 95lbs. It's pretty much a change in lifestyle. It's hard to get that train moving, but once it starts and you see some difference it gets easier and easier. I only need to look at my before and after pics (or pants) to stay motivated.

Last september I wanted to make some more improvement again after a few years of stagnation and started training for half a marathon, which I did three weeks ago. Now I do that every two weeks and the other week I do 17km. After my first half marathon I was really really tired, but it still didn't compare to those first times I went jogging.

qragc2.jpg

4ke24k.jpg

24b42nm.jpg

2dme73n.jpg

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Tieno I am jealous of your body type, my rib cage and hips stick out so much that I still look fairly big XD

My ribs are sticking through the skin now (of course the downside is of course I also have loose skin, its starting to tighten up though :)) and my hips jut out but I still look plump because of my body type unless I wear tight clothing

Since I don't have any full body shots right now, let's just compare the facial structure.

Before (February 2006, Weight: 267)

60528520_l.jpg

After (Thanksgiving 08, Weight: 211)

LittleBoy.jpg

Woot ^_^

when i graduated high school in 2001 i weighed 295 lbs, that summer I got a job pushing carts at walmart, and i changed my eating habits drastically. I ended up being down to about 240 after only 4 or so months. Eventually I got down to 205 lbs, and was starting to like how i looked.

Then me and my exfiancee split up out of nowhere last December. It was a really bad break up that went on and off for about a month (we actually broke up/got back together about 5 times before I finally ended it for good). I lost our condo, some other material things, and 7+ years of investment into a girl who mentally can't function in life. I fell into a deep depression, and at the advice of my doctor was put on anti depressants (no therapy though).

I changed no other aspects of my life, eating habits, exercise ect. were all the same. However on the 7-8 weeks on antidepressants I noticed I was starting to gain weight. I first noticed it about 4-5 weeks in, I probably put on 15 lbs in that time frame. My doctor said it was normal to gain some weight, however the weight gain continued, until I finally decided to stop taking the antidepressants somewhere in the 7-8 week point.

Even after stopping the antidepressants I still continued to gain weight rapidly, until i finally stopped gaining weight after roughly 60 lbs. At this point it was April/May and I decided that i needed to hit the gym daily to get back to my comfortable 205. I worked out 6 days a week for atleast an hour everyday, stopped drinking soda completely and drank only water or crystal light, and started to eat healthier. After 3 months of this I saw 0 results, I had lost at most 8 lbs, and no inches. Since then I've been highly discouraged but I have actually lost about 10 lbs over the last 2 months without the gym.

I am starting a new job that will free up some of my time, and also give me more money in my account and I will start seeing a weight loss doctor as soon as my insurance kicks in which should be Jan. My current goal is to be back at 205 by xmas of next year, and eventually get to around 180 which is what various doctors have told me would be about normal for my height/body type.

jorma

is now taking requests
I once lost 25kg (55lbs) in about a year. Cannabis was the only aid I used. I had lots of fun while dropping weight. Cannabis is awesome in all aspects. I love Cannabis. And my fit looking body also loves it.

jorma said:
I once lost 25kg (55lbs) in about a year. Cannabis was the only aid I used. I had lots of fun while dropping weight. Cannabis is awesome in all aspects. I love Cannabis. And my fit looking body also loves it.

Herb can curb your hunger, help you concentrate. It's too bad that it's so looked down upon.

Congrats though, there's nothing wrong with using something natural to help you achieve a goal IMO.

eso76

Used to be a little overweight (76kg for 1.77/8m, which considering i have very thin bones is not as adequate as it may seem). Summer 1998 i decided to lose some weight, by simply cutting on sugar, butter and cheese at first which basically turned into not eating in a while.
I went from 76 to below 60 in a few weeks and in a couple months i was as low as 54 kgs; when you lose weight this fast solely on diets you don't only lose fat as much as muscles. So my story is not fat or obese to normal, rather from slightly overweight to kinda anorexic. No before and after pics, sorry :p
After that my weight has always been fluctuating up and down (by as much as 5 kgs) but gradually going up again to 67/69 kgs - without anyone noticing, anyway - and recently started losing weight again, i'm now 65. Looking to lose a couple more kgs, and should start working out again or going to swimming pool.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
GodfatherX, a little note for you, anti-depressants fuck up your bodies chemistry, even when I was at my worst for being suicidal (I was really bad... lets leave it at that) I refused to talk to anyone who suggested them (was forced to see MANY counselors and psychiatrists :/)

lsslave said:
GodfatherX, a little note for you, anti-depressants fuck up your bodies chemistry, even when I was at my worst for being suicidal (I was really bad... lets leave it at that) I refused to talk to anyone who suggested them (was forced to see MANY counselors and psychiatrists :/)

Agreed.

There was a while I was on Zoloft, and to be honest it made me much worse for the wear than letting me work things out by my own means. I think it threw my sleeping schedule off, made me more tense because I felt like I had to feel a certain way and I don't like to fake emotions, so it just kept building.

Either way, anti-depressants are almost never the answer.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Nathan Rain said:
Agreed.

There was a while I was on Zoloft, and to be honest it made me much worse for the wear than letting me work things out by my own means. I think it threw my sleeping schedule off, made me more tense because I felt like I had to feel a certain way and I don't like to fake emotions, so it just kept building.

Either way, anti-depressants are almost never the answer.

Nathan I just looked at your shots, you went from a girl to a cat, PUT THE WEIGHT BACK ON MAN! lol

Also I am highly anti-drug so the herb guys kind of make me laugh... (I have a VERY good reason for being anti-drug though, I do drink occasionally but I am better than my alcoholic state but any form of drug, even medical drugs I won't touch unless its extreme importance X.x)

lsslave said:
Nathan I just looked at your shots, you went from a girl to a cat, PUT THE WEIGHT BACK ON MAN! lol

Also I am highly anti-drug so the herb guys kind of make me laugh... (I have a VERY good reason for being anti-drug though, I do drink occasionally but I am better than my alcoholic state but any form of drug, even medical drugs I won't touch unless its extreme importance X.x)

WHAT HAVE I DONE? :lol

Naw, we're married now! Have been for almost 2 and a 1/2 years! I wish that cat was mine tho -.-

(She has terrible allergies)

lsslave said:
Get one of these!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Sphinx2_July_2006.jpg

Sphinx cat, I want one so bad, I will name it Dracula when I get it too (going for a pale white one :D)

Edit: And congrats on marriage :)

Haha, naw I've seen those cats, I think they're hideous (no offense intended). I've heard there's a breed of really expensive hypoallergenic Persians that you can get for a few grand. We'll eventually pick one of those up.

Until then, I have a Red Eared Slider who I adore, and we plan on getting a Bijon Frise when we have enough space. Something that looks as cute as this one hopefully:

1355219_1.jpg

Rewrite said:
I have a puppy that looks exactly like this, I swear.

How are they? Well behaved normally? I've heard mixed feelings about them, some people say they're adorable but need an excessive amount of attention since they can have weird mood swings without enough.

On the flip side, I've heard that with enough love & attention that they can be one of the most loyal and enjoyable breeds.

Can you confirm which one describes your pup better?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Nathan Rain said:
How are they? Well behaved normally? I've heard mixed feelings about them, some people say they're adorable but need an excessive amount of attention since they can have weird mood swings without enough.

On the flip side, I've heard that with enough love & attention that they can be one of the most loyal and enjoyable breeds.

Can you confirm which one describes your pup better?
Well, she does need attention because when we don't play with her, she just seems sad and sleeps. However, she's very smart and obedient so I really don't have any complaints but she's very emotional when let's say, we go out. She cries. lol

Rewrite said:
Well, she does need attention because when we don't play with her, she just seems sad and sleeps. However, she's very smart and obedient so I really don't have any complaints but she's very emotional when let's say, we go out. She cries. lol

See that's what I'm worried about. I know I seem really active on the forums but it's only because I stay up till all hours and only sleep 4 or 5 hours a nite (some people just need less sleep I've heard).

Anyhow, you basically confirmed my worst fears about the breed, but I think I'll be one of those owners who essentially is in physical contact with their pup every moment I'm home, which should be more than enough.

I got alot to do tomorrow, might go play some Fallout 3 before passing out.

Night everyone :)

lsslave said:
oh trust me i know, and knew how they make you feel mentally, but I never thought the weight gain effect would be as high as it was...lesson learned, I now am very skeptical of any prescription i put into my body, I recently had a wisdom tooth pulled and reluctantly had to take some lortab, extreme pain is about the only reason I will ever put a pharmaceutical in my body again

Top Bottom