• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-Order bonus for Legacy of Ys: Books I & II (DS)

Volcynika

I couldn't find the most recent thread easily (I suck at Google sometimes, shut up!!!!), but Atlus sent out word that you get a free bonus music CD with pre-orders (At least at Amazon and GameStop, since they're in the e-mail...but don't quote me on that).

http://www.atlus.com/ys/pre-order.html (Samples here)

Comes out this February (the 10th).

From the e-mail:

Pre-order and guarantee yourself one of the finest gaming soundtracks evar. EVAAARRR!

As if there weren't enough reasons to purchase Legacy of Ys: Books I & II, Atlus is offering one more (and just as a refresher, the others include a new localization, remastered graphics and music, optional touch screen controls, multiplayer, and much more):

Legacy of Ys pre-order bonus soundtrack
Pre-orders at participating retailers will secure a copy of a limited edition Legacy of Ys: Books I & II soundtrack CD, which will feature selected tracks from both Ys I and II.

Epic in melody and arrangement, the Ys Books I & II soundtrack has long been considered one of the greatest video same scores ever created. As relevant today as ever, the freshly arranged music CD still manages the same level of excitement and energy, and stand as a testament to true excellence in game music.

Imagine this: you're sitting at home, wishing you'd pre-ordered Legacy of Ys: Books I & II when all of a sudden your friend rings and tells you he/she got the CD and how awesome it is and how they won't let you have it. DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN! Pre-order today!

Nothing like free, right, Faithful? Then again, I guess even better for you would be if we paid folks to buy our games... Wait, wait, forget we even mentioned---uh oh.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Whoa, had no idea this was even announced, hell that there was even a port to DS at all.

Any screens? The website seems to have none. An original DS port, or is it based on the PC versions? Need info.

Volcynika

Brandon F said:
Whoa, had no idea this was even announced, hell that there was even a port to DS at all.

Any screens? The website seems to have none. An original DS port, or is it based on the PC versions? Need info.

http://www.atlus.com/ys/

The main website has screens at the bottom :p

Baha said:
Does this port or remake have stylus controls? I like using the d-pad for Y''s games.

http://www.atlus.com/ys/about.html (Look at System section) Yes it has D-Pad controls and a set for stylus. And Dragona or someone will hurt you for saying Y''s.

Baha

Brandon F said:

Maybe a port of the ps2 version? The trailer on the atlus site has scenes from the ps2 intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPd4jrRfvRM
I haven't played the PC version in ages so I don't recall if that intro is present there too.

bryehn

Pre'd about 3 seconds after I got the e-mail. I'm a sucker for soundtracks. I love that Atlus went with Amazon (.ca), it so much less of a hassle to get their stuff up here now, plus no retarded EB $5 down BS.

bryehn

Just in case anyone wanted to see it...

10wl7bl.jpg

I can't believe I have 10 games pre'd that come out before the end of March. 6-7 of which are RPGs, I'ma be backlogged into 2011.

LowParry

....dammit. My monies are going so quick in 2009. Fuuuuuuck.gif

I'll get this pre-ordered. DS is the RPG machine!

M3d10n

Err... sorry, but this isn't a good port. First the 3D maps look terrible, and that's coming from someone who actually defends DS 3D. Everything is flat and bland and grainy. Textures repeat like hell and there's nearly zero lighting effects. I've seen better-looking homebrew DS RPGs.

There is a stylus control option (can be changed in-game), but it's useless since you still can only move Adol in 8-way directions (while in the PC port it'd give you analog movement).

CiSTM

Banned
M3d10n said:
Err... sorry, but this isn't a good port. First the 3D maps look terrible, and that's coming from someone who actually defends DS 3D. Everything is flat and bland and grainy. Textures repeat like hell and there's nearly zero lighting effects. I've seen better-looking homebrew DS RPGs.

There is a stylus control option (can be changed in-game), but it's useless since you still can only move Adol in 8-way directions (while in the PC port it'd give you analog movement).

:(

But I haven't played these games before so I will give em' a try.

leroidys

Damn I have sooo many games to buy next year, I probably won't have any time to play through these, but my name requires that I purchase them.

It's so awesome that Atlus is hooked up with amazon.ca but I dun want to use mah credit card :( Even if EB Canada ain't part of the deal I'm gonna still pick this up and Ys a shot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How good of ports were the DS versions?

Edit:

Yep, just how I thought :/

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Awesome. Atlus really only needed to announce this to sell it to me. The CD is just icing, even if it'll only be a very limited sampler.

Funny email, though. I was smiling as I read it earlier today.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Are there genuine valid reasons to choose this instead of the Virtual Console "version" aside from the portability plus?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I hope the music is from the Turbo Duo versions since that edition has the best soundtrack.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Dash Kappei said:
Are there genuine valid reasons to choose this instead of the Virtual Console "version" aside from the portability plus?

It's based off of a different, revised port that greatly expands the games, Ys I in particular. There's an overworld that's actually more than a few screens! That being said, the music is worse, and while the PC versions were fantastic, these DS ports are not.

I wonder what kind of arrangements these'll be, or if it'll just be stuff straight from the game.

Mejilan

Content-wise, if these games follow the early 2000-ish PC remakes (which I'm sure they do), there's quite a bit more to do than in the Turbo-CD versions. That said, where the PC versions largely shined (not a huge fan of the music, however), I'm pretty sure the DS versions don't. I'm really not liking what I hear about the controls... And I really doubt that Atlus will tinker with them for the US releases. The real bonus here, though, is that the two games are being consolidated to one cart and sold at a relatively reasonable price. The JP versions of Ys I and Ys II DS were sold on separate carts, and not at budget pricing, as far as I can remember.

djtiesto said:
I hope the music is from the Turbo Duo versions since that edition has the best soundtrack.

I guess you missed the samples up on Atlus' site, eh? They're basically DS conversions of the PC remake soundtracks, complete with all of the embellishments added to those versions. From what I've heard so far, in any event. Most of the songs in the PC remake were expanded and lengthened over what was done in the "classic" versions of Ys I and II (a category to which the Turbo CD versions belonged).

M3d10n

Dash Kappei said:
The expanded content, but for that I recommend just grabbing the PC version and downloading the translation patch. As a bonus you'll also get beautiful 2D graphics, and any PC built in the last 10 years can run the game perfectly.

The soundtrack and the graphics (other than the sprites and character portraits, which are straight from the PC remake) are better in the original.

I'll be pre-ordering as soon as possible, though, I have so many Ys CDs already, I'm not all that psyched.

My main concern is the translation. It looks like Atlus is going over literal on the names and places so we're getting Dahm instead of Darm, Reah instead of Lair, and who knows what else.

I mean looking at the CD track titles on their site we get shit like the Palace of Sarmon and the Ice Ridge of Nortia?

Gah, those do sound like complete ass.

I hope to GOD we get Dark Fact and not Dulk Fukt.

Mejilan

Reah, I believe, is official. Lair definitely is not (though I prefer it over Reah).
Sarmon, Nortia, and Dahm look and sound like fucking shit, though.

Mejilan said:
Reah, I believe, is official. Lair definitely is not (though I prefer it over Reah).
Sarmon, Nortia, and Dahm look and sound like fucking shit, though.

Don't go by Falcom's official romanizations, they are all AWFUL (ok, not all, but most.) Here are some of their OFFICIAL romanizations

Romn (Romun)
Esterior (Esteria)
Salmon (Sarumon, Solomon in the US)
Dalk Fukt (Dark Fact)
Talf (Tarf)
Sandoria (Xandria)

they have gotten better as of late (Oath in Felghana's romanizations are damn near perfect.) but back during the Ys 1 and 2 complete days they were really really bad.

Also if oyu are going to go with a R for the poet, it should at least be Reya, or with an L, Leia is another acceptable substitute, Reah just doesn't happen in english OR french.

Mejilan

The issue has been discussed to death and back over at the Ancient Land of Ys forums. Take it up with them, not me! I will say one thing, however. If what we've seen from Atlus so far is what we can expect, they might just make my least favorite Ys localization since Dogi became Colin!

Top Bottom